Ed Lada

Another Interesting Home Built Steel Boat

3 hours ago, mad said:

Brilliant idea! :lol:

Isn't that the plan for SV Seeker?

His boat is way way way heavier.

4 hours ago, monsoon said:

I do wonder what is going to kill him first. Battery fire? Trailering accident? Boat falls on him on land? Boat rolls over in the water? He keeps upping the odds on a Darwin.  

I think even Darwin wants to see where this goes. :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Windward said:

I haven’t been following that one, dare I ask for a link?

13 hours ago, Monkey Butler said:

Yeah, I skimmed episodes of this one too. Funny, SV Rusty Junk starts with raw steel sheet and scavenged junk and welds it into an empty shell. Clever Octopus starts with a completely finished yacht and after much work achieves the same result.

image.thumb.png.5dad9235af3ce7ad4ee4c271871dece2.png

This looks worthy of attention.    He salvaged no templates or materials, and plans on an open floorplan in a round hulled boat?    That sounds interesting already.  

14 hours ago, Lark said:

Seems like a real nice trailer.   The junk just needs a couple mobile home axles welded to the keel stub temporarily, and a tongue hanging out of it’s ass.

58 minutes ago, mad said:

I haven’t been following that one, dare I ask for a link?

Wait, really?

image.png

2 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Speaking of interesting homebuilt metal boats - anyone heard anything outta Zeyang?

Oh, you mean after the builder miraculously rose from the dead?  Kind of stopped watching after his stupid ass stunt.

On 4/8/2020 at 1:56 AM, zenmasterfred said:

Looks like he is self isolating pretty well, no need to social distance.  What can possibly go wrong, I mean what can possibly go right?  Can't wait for the next installment.

I'm guessing self isolation isn't a challenge for this dude.

1 hour ago, zenmasterfred said:

Oh, you mean after the builder miraculously rose from the dead?  Kind of stopped watching after his stupid ass stunt.

Zeyang has the aluminum boat, actually on the water - "sailing the farm".  I think you are referring to Doug / SV Seeker.  I stopped watching at that point, he's dead to me...

1 minute ago, sculpin said:

Zeyang has the aluminum boat, actually on the water - "sailing the farm".  I think you are referring to Doug / SV Seeker.  I stopped watching at that point, he's dead to me...

That’s the one, only ever watched that clip and never bothered again. Don’t have the time or wish to follow people building boats on YouTube most of the time......apart from Rusty Junk, but I think that’s just morbid fascination.  

3 hours ago, sculpin said:

Yep, so did I. Fuck him for an attention-seeking whore.

FKT

6 hours ago, mad said:

That’s the one, only ever watched that clip and never bothered again. Don’t have the time or wish to follow people building boats on YouTube most of the time......apart from Rusty Junk, but I think that’s just morbid fascination.  

Umm...  you make it sound like Rusty Junk is building a boat.  Submarine, maybe, but boat?  If Rusty Junk gets launched it will be a  race to see which happens first - falls apart, flips over, sinks, or catches fire.  The batteries are looking promising.

2 hours ago, sculpin said:

Umm...  you make it sound like Rusty Junk is building a boat.  Submarine, maybe, but boat?  If Rusty Junk gets launched it will be a  race to see which happens first - falls apart, flips over, sinks, or catches fire.  The batteries are looking promising.

It may implode and form a tiny black hole.

I'm thinking he should fill the inside with pillows and take a run off Niagara Falls, leave the keel off so it is full amusement park washing machine ride.

15 hours ago, zenmasterfred said:

???? Sir?   I don't think I'm aware of that circumstance - 

8 hours ago, sculpin said:

It could be just about anything really, just sit there with my jaw hitting the keyboard trying to understand his thought process........ good thing I have plenty of time at the moment, it’s going to take a while. :P

56 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

There’s a YouTube link above, go from there. 

3 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

For Zeyang? 

I know about S/V Seeker. 

Apologies, a minor misunderstanding.   Maybe one of the others can help to find that one.... you could always try the mythical search function, it’s next to the Front page apparently. 

1 minute ago, mad said:

Apologies, a minor misunderstanding.   Maybe one of the others can help to find that one.... you could always try the mythical search function, it’s next to the Front page apparently. 

No apologies necessary.  The thread prompted a recollection - my question was simply whether or not anyone had heard from him lately - last post I found was a bit over a year ago.  Idle curiosity and all that. 

2 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

The rising from the dead thing? There's a big anniversary about some guy who supposedly did it a couple thousand years ago coming up this weekend.

Or maybe he means this guy who had nothing better to do when some guys with movie cameras and special effect skills showed up at his boatyard.

He's erased all traces of the stunt from YouToob but it cost him a shit ton of subscribers but it has been memorialized across the intent. The local news for one:

https://ktul.com/news/local/tulsa-boat-builders-extreme-prank-stirs-anger-and-support-online

That's the one, thanks Monkey!

What a fucking idiot.  From the article:

Did he go too far? Not in his mind.

"The only people on a boat that you can count on is your crew. There's no 911. No ambulances. You count on the people around you," Jackson said. "So, why do I filter? Because I want the right people around me."

What, so next time I'm out racing I should fake a heart attack to test the reactions of my crew?  And what, the people watching on youtube are his crew?  That is fucked up.  I was OK with his occasional rant about people being afraid to take risks and shit like that, but faking a massive injury is bullshit.  So I'm out.

All - for the sake of clarification - I was asking about Zeyang - who built a boat out of Aluminum on what looked to be a communal farm, launched it a few years ago, and has been sailing around ever since, not Doug in OK.  

Apologies to all for creating the opportunity for a misunderstanding and tangent. 

Zeyang's biggest risk was fathering too many kids all over the world. Nymphs.

Rusty-Junk's risk is being run over by a truck while scavenging wheel weights on the side of the road.

Octopus and (Gomer/Giggles) suffer from questionable haircuts.  

Doug suffer's from himself.

Acorn and Leo seem well sorted.  Actually I worry a little that Acorn's focus may be wandering.

$.02

Leo's the real deal. I also like Uncle Lou (Sauzedde). I don't have much use for the rest. 

Also, I've been binge-watching This Old Tony. I figure I'm probably the last guy on Earth to "discover" him (or at least the 800,000th) but I'm enjoying every minute of his stuff.

3 hours ago, IStream said:

Leo's the real deal. I also like Uncle Lou (Sauzedde). I don't have much use for the rest. 

Also, I've been binge-watching This Old Tony. I figure I'm probably the last guy on Earth to "discover" him (or at least the 800,000th) but I'm enjoying every minute of his stuff.

Tony is awesome... his humor is hilarious.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IStream said:

He's OK but Stefan Gottswinter is far superior technically. Tony is a bit of a hack but entertaining with it. I tend to fast-forward over a lot of his stuff.

Mind you if you like endless waffle then Keith Fenner is your man. Generally he can make 10 minutes of content into a 30++ minute vid.

FKT

12 hours ago, mad said:

Despite being a 20-30 something with a big crew of like aged hippies, i don't think Zeyang did the vlog, patreon, you tube thing at all.  A search for "sailing the farm" turns up the 1980's book, a few images and a link to flikr , twitter and one 1:30 min youtube video.  All the guy did was weld him up an aluminum Atkins (?) sailboat, outfit it, put it in the water and go sailing.

image.jpeg.7eac3baedfb296a6515dc233ef02aaa7.jpeg

1 hour ago, chester said:

Despite being a 20-30 something with a big crew of like aged hippies, i don't think Zeyang did the vlog, patreon, you tube thing at all.  A search for "sailing the farm" turns up the 1980's book, a few images and a link to flikr , twitter and one 1:30 min youtube video.  All the guy did was weld him up an aluminum Atkins (?) sailboat, outfit it, put it in the water and go sailing.

image.jpeg.7eac3baedfb296a6515dc233ef02aaa7.jpeg

Given where he lived, more like a Colin Archer design. Archer was doing those type hulls a long time prior to Atkins, IIRC.

But yeah - built the boat & went sailing with a bunch of young women without begging & whoring for attention & money. Major respect.

FKT

• Like 1

Talk about wasting time following youtubers, anyone else hooked on Mustie1? Retired mechanic in New Hampshire fixes all sorts of things, primarily internal combustion engine-driven, and builds funky bikes. Started in his garage and now has a fancy large workshop. I've learned a lot from him, and he's entertaining, pleasant, incredibly patient, and capable. Even occasionally messes with outboards and "boats".

27 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

Talk about wasting time following youtubers, anyone else hooked on Mustie1? Retired mechanic in New Hampshire fixes all sorts of things, primarily internal combustion engine-driven, and builds funky bikes. Started in his garage and now has a fancy large workshop. I've learned a lot from him, and he's entertaining, pleasant, incredibly patient, and capable. Even occasionally messes with outboards and "boats".

Mustie is awesome... great stuff there.  Long videos though.

For raw work ethic and some interesting projects, have a look at Andrew Camarata.

2 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Given where he lived, more like a Colin Archer design. Archer was doing those type hulls a long time prior to Atkins, IIRC.

But yeah - built the boat & went sailing with a bunch of young women without begging & whoring for attention & money. Major respect.

FKT

Definitely Colin Archer.

• Like 1

New goal.   I want to watch that thing being towed down the highway.,    See it wiggle.  See it jiggle.   See it roll.   

• Like 2

Thanks for the update, Lark.

I fear for the general population with that Frankenstein mega tongue extension. A lot of ways for it to go wrong and take out a minivan full of kids. This aspect of the shitshow pisses me off.

This guy has to be the weirdest fuckup I've ever seen. He's a strange combination of apparent intelligence and considerable skills but he's so totally off on another planet with his theories and practices.

Usually they look the part - like Hot Rod and his hillbilly family but this guy looks quasi-intellectual.

I've never seen anyone or anything quite like it.

I sure hope it gets filmed by a third party as it's launched.

I completely agree with you Sloop. As the psychiatrist said in that episode of  Fawlty Towers, "There's enough material there for an entire conference."

• Like 1

On 4/10/2020 at 4:15 PM, Fah Kiew Tu said:

He's OK but Stefan Gottswinter is far superior technically. Tony is a bit of a hack but entertaining with it. I tend to fast-forward over a lot of his stuff.

Mind you if you like endless waffle then Keith Fenner is your man. Generally he can make 10 minutes of content into a 30++ minute vid.

FKT

No argument. I didn't have much interest in his CNC router project but the thing I like about Tony technically is that his machining skills are just above my level. If I had the space and similar tools, I could see myself at his level reasonably quickly so his stuff is achievably aspirational for me. I could see how for someone like you it could be unrewarding from a technical standpoint. However, I find him very entertaining with a sense of humor very similar to mine and that seals the deal.

1 minute ago, IStream said:

No argument. I didn't have much interest in his CNC router project but the thing I like about Tony technically is that his machining skills are just above my level. If I had the space and similar tools, I could see myself at his level reasonably quickly so his stuff is achievably aspirational for me. I could see how for someone like you it could be unrewarding from a technical standpoint. However, I find him very entertaining with a sense of humor very similar to mine and that seals the deal.

IIRC Tony did a really, really nice job of building a big hydraulic press. As I need one myself and they're impossible to find used on this island, I'll probably build my own - and I'll be reviewing his vids before I start.

FKT

Pacific NW / Seattle in a few months.   You lucky dogs.   

So, he is planning on living aboard as he completes  the interior. That means he will be on the boat when it capsizes in heavy winds, its keel falls of or it springs a leak.

Or all three given the right set of conditions.

And since it has no cockpit, he will be inside.

I vote for a "24 hour Junk boat Cam" with infrared, zoom abilities.

Analyzing the results in future years will keep this thread buzzing.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Dnomyar said:

So, he is planning on living aboard as he completes  the interior. That means he will be on the boat when it capsizes in heavy winds, its keel falls of or it springs a leak.

Or all three given the right set of conditions.

And since it has no cockpit, he will be inside.

I vote for a "24 hour Junk boat Cam" with infrared, zoom abilities.

Analyzing the results in future years will keep this thread buzzing.

At least he’s honest that he’s primarily going to anchor, not sail.    I understand desolation sound to be calm protected water?   The immediate drama warrants a live reporter.   Will the trailer remain stable over 20 mph?   Is the waterline near the roof tar line?  Is GM>0?   Did he allow for coolant expansion?    Can it be controlled in a force 2 storm?  Secondary questions of rudder shaft fatigue and keel stress from a choppy anchorage may not be important.   Barnacle cement might reinforce the salvaged keel bolts enough to make the boat fit for purpose.   

Might have to make an excursion to see the launch (and I use that word cautiously).  Admire his pluckiness but he is fucking nuts.

• Like 1

Is the waterline near the roof tar line?  :lol:

I have never heard that question but I suspect that is not the only time it has been asked.

Shingled Cabintop.jpg

22 minutes ago, zenmasterfred said:

Might have to make an excursion to see the launch (and I use that word cautiously).  Admire his pluckiness but he is fucking nuts.

We're counting on you Zen. Film at 11.

I'd do it myself but I can't get there from here.

Standing by for further information.  May go by boat as we can't go north.  Have been in sight of the border on multiple outings in the last month or so, wondered from Prevost Hbr. on Stewart Island if we poked our nose across the red border line how long it would take the black helicopters to appear.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SloopJonB said:

We're counting on you Zen. Film at 11.

I'd do it myself but I can't get there from here.

Should be able to livestream it on some platform. At the very least, it should be recorded in 4K at a high frame rate so the capsizing/sinking/vaporizing is well documented.

10 hours ago, Lark said:

Pacific NW / Seattle in a few months.   You lucky dogs.   

Really disappointed that we have to wait a few months for the next instalment. :P

10 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Should be able to livestream it on some platform. At the very least, it should be recorded in 4K at a high frame rate so the capsizing/sinking/vaporizing is well documented.

It should provide some good competition for all the film of Anacortes Flipper.

Looks like about an 8000 gross 2 axle trailer. Any guesses on what that boat whatever weighs? I'm looking forward to learning what he plans to pull it with.

I think the load will go something like this.

At the end is his shortlist of stuff to get done.  This list would take me forever... good optimism.  

At the end is his shortlist of stuff to get done.  This list would take me forever... good optimism.  

"Not a lot left to do inside". With a bare hull that needs cleaning and painting. Then insulating and lining. And plumbing and wiring. And cabinetwork, bulkheads and soft furnishings.

Not a lot left. Suuuure. About 4 years worth unless he gets a ton of volunteer help.

FKT

• Like 1

Are you saying it's not 85% complete?

I watched the video and thought he's not as crazy as some, so I watched most of the very first video when he bought the boat.  The boat did have a fully fitted out interior, but he demolished it so he could strip and paint the interior of the hull.  He did have some big plans for redoing the interior layout, so he is (or at least was) planning on doing more to the interior than he described at the end of the last video.  And unlike our other friend on Rusty Junk who is building his boat with auto parts he finds at the side of the road, this guy does seem to have a passing knowledge of sailboats.

But I've decided he is a bit crazy.  He paid 28K for that boat.  Yikes.

Skip Navigation

Search By:  Vessel Name
Vessel Name Service Status VIN Call Sign HIN Service Flag Build Year
RUSTY JUNK Active 1303862 N/A   Recreational UNITED STATES 2020

SeparatorBar.jpgLast Update:  
Monday, October 5, 2020

it’s registered. 

https://cgmix.uscg.mil/psix/psixsearch.aspx

1 hour ago, Lark said:

Skip Navigation

Search By:  Vessel Name
Vessel Name Service Status VIN Call Sign HIN Service Flag Build Year
RUSTY JUNK Active 1303862 N/A   Recreational UNITED STATES 2020

SeparatorBar.jpgLast Update:  
Monday, October 5, 2020

it’s registered. 

https://cgmix.uscg.mil/psix/psixsearch.aspx

As a biohazard?

BS boats aren't that wrinkled.

Even after pounding for days or weeks in 15' surf.

8 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Those wrinkles will come right out once the hull is fully flooded.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dnomyar said:

Those wrinkles will come right out once the hull is fully flooded.

He really should fill it with water on land to make sure it doesn't leak. I give it 1% chance of not splitting wide open.

On 7/26/2020 at 9:15 AM, SloopJonB said:

Are you saying it's not 85% complete?

85.000001% me thinks.  Interior, he don't need no stinking interior.  Interiors are for pussys.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, zenmasterfred said:

85.000001% me thinks.  Interior, he don't need no stinking interior.  Interiors are for pussys.

I'm reminded of a YouTube video I once watched:  French(?) hippie dude in the tropics with a steel boat that had almost no interior.  It was not a shit-show.  He and is lady seemed quite comfortable crosslegged on whatever part of the hull was horizontal at the time (round bilge). 

5 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Like BS he doesn't know the difference between material and structure.  Workmanship is similar to Brent's, in many ways and they are both hacks. Brent gets a fairer boat but he uses thicker plate and by now hass been through enough design iterations  to solve some of the weaknesses in his earlier attempts.

This chap is on his first try.

6 hours ago, MikeJohns said:

This chap is on his first try.

"There is no try."

6 hours ago, IStream said:

"There is no try."

In this case, there is also no 'do'...

FKT

Where can I buy these plans?

More importantly where can I find a yard to build a sistership?

32 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

In this case, there is also no 'do'...

FKT

We understand each other, FKT.

24 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

Most any yard will do, as long as the staff has no idea what they're doing and it's at least 1000Km from water.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

Surely there's a scrapyard near you.

FKT

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IStream said:

"There is no try."

He appears as an imbecile engaged in a parody of boat-building. 

My first reaction was that it was an arts grant black-commody about someone with kangaroos in their top paddock.

4 minutes ago, MikeJohns said:

He appears as an imbecile engaged in a parody of boat-building.

That's what is so strange and fascinating about him - he doesn't appear to be an imbecile.

He appears to be some kind of incompetent intellectual engaged in a parody of boat-building.

• Like 1

Sloop

Certainly not the old Psychiatric  diagnosis of Imbicile as in a crippling IQ deficit,  but foolish.

He's intellectual enough to rationalize away sensible boatbuilding requirements in his own head apparently.

It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't a ballasted keel sailboat. Still maybe he'll add the floors and frames incrementally, as areas of the hull buckle under load.

4 minutes ago, MikeJohns said:

Sloop

Certainly not the old Psychiatric  diagnosis of Imbicile as in a crippling IQ deficit,  but foolish.

He's intellectual enough to rationalize away sensible boatbuilding requirements in his own head apparently.

It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't a ballasted keel sailboat. Still maybe he'll add the floors and frames incrementally, as areas of the hull buckle under load.

Welding in a deepening pool of water is not a good idea.

Rusty's Junk is back for a brief update.  

He has plans to sail that magnificent vessel around the world!  

Stop laughing, he really said so in this video.

I do kinda like that van.

He will be in the same yard as Clever Octopus.  Bellingham, WA

Whatever happened to Clever?  He went dark 2 months ago.

7 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Rusty's Junk is back for a brief update.  

He has plans to sail that magnificent vessel around the world!  

Stop laughing, he really said so in this video.

I'm still willing to kick in a few bucks to whoever manages to get a decent vid of the launch and either salvage recovery or 'sea trial' whichever comes first.

Or of course the 'sea trial' followed by the rescue of the builder and sinking of the derelict.

FKT

• Like 1

"Puget sound is a great place to find out how the boat handles ...  "

How are the rescue services in that area?

37 minutes ago, Dnomyar said:

"Puget sound is a great place to find out how the boat handles ...  "

How are the rescue services in that area?

Expensive.

He's a nut and he's probably going to die, but he's spot-on with his choice of a small van for his travels.  

Some of my fondest memories are from when I traveled around the western states (CA. OR, WA, ID, MT) in my little camper-van.  

Good times! 

Maybe I can up there for the sinking, I mean launching of his new boat. 

fullsizeoutput_102e.jpeg

• Like 1

I'm about 20 miles as the crow flies or 24 sea miles from home to Bellingham.  I hope to be able to synchronize my watch the launch and will report if I am able.

• Like 2

Great news.

If you start a "Patreon" page, I would love to contribute to a video of proceedings.

I suspect his videos won't show the full "emotional impact " of the ceremony  

• Like 1

On 10/21/2020 at 3:56 PM, Fah Kiew Tu said:

I'm still willing to kick in a few bucks to whoever manages to get a decent vid of the launch and either salvage recovery or 'sea trial' whichever comes first.

Or of course the 'sea trial' followed by the rescue of the builder and sinking of the derelict.

FKT

And that, is the end of that. Too bad, would have been interesting to see to conclusion. But I think he has come to the inevitable conclusion that SV Rusty Junk is a was a curious project, but that German Engineering is way more liable to lead to a long and happy life.

Too bad. The (video of the) train wreck is avoided due to lack of stick-to-it-ness. 85% complete. It'll be a bargain for someone.