• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
cpt_757

White smoke

White smoke from diesel,  too rich?

tuned up during summertime,  was fine and was normal til now.  

Any way to adjust? , Yanmar 1gm 10.

thank you in advance!

Black smoke is fuel, blue smoke is oil - white smoke is coolant. Head gasket most likely.

If it is from the Vatican Chimney 

I think it means the next Pope has been chosen and the announcement will follow soon 

If it is from your exhaust and you are just plain lucky it is some water in your fuel but your motor is tuning so well it is burning through that crap and running anyway.

if you are not so lucky a gasket if some dirt is sliding whatever cools yoit motor  to get past 

If you are just plain damned .. there is a cracked hunk of metal involved

• Like 1

Never seen a factory fresh water cooled 1GM10 but prepare to be educated.  Coolant (glycol) getting into the combustion chamber will cause white smoke but not sure it is your issue.

As Zonker said if white smoke on start up from cold normally indicates low compression, smoke smells bad and should clear up once the engine warms up. Other suggestion is this steam from the exhaust outlet rather than exhaust smoke, has the mixing elbow corroded out as they are known to do? Is the engine oil milky in colour etc

Is there a good flow of water out the exhaust?  Is the engine running warmer than usual? If so could be a weak raw water pump or problem in the mixing elbow such as a restriction in the raw water outlet of the elbow.

Check for water at the bottom of your fuel tank. If you don't have the extended syringe thing a mechanic will. A bit of water in your fuel might be getting past the filter. The steam on start up in cold weather will make the white smoke more pronounced. 

4 hours ago, fufkin said:

Check for water at the bottom of your fuel tank. If you don't have the extended syringe thing a mechanic will. A bit of water in your fuel might be getting past the filter. The steam on start up in cold weather will make the white smoke more pronounced. 

+1

Are you sure it's Smoke, not Steam?  Big difference!  

2 hours ago, silent bob said:

+1

Silent Bob,

I think it's the water particles mixing with the smoke that makes it white...so maybe it's steam enhanced smoke?!? but I'm no mechanic. I had this problem during haul out in cold late November and we looked for the first obvious culprit and found a small amount of water at the bottom of the tank. We got it out of there and as of now I'm not sure where it came from so hoping it's either condensation over last winter or I dunno...maybe negligence on my part in not draining the filter of water...gonna replace filters and so on in the spring and do full work up...pretty sure (hopefully)  it's no more than that....engine runs great but didn't like seeing the white smoke...

On 1/3/2018 at 11:35 PM, Zonker said:

Consistent white smoke or intermittent? Only on startup?

It’s constant.

not having white smoke till couple days ago.,,,

6 hours ago, silent bob said:

+1

Smoke, sure,,

let me check tomorrow!

if steam, moisture?  But constant,,

On 1/3/2018 at 1:06 AM, Crazy Horse said:

Never seen a factory fresh water cooled 1GM10 but prepare to be educated.  Coolant (glycol) getting into the combustion chamber will cause white smoke but not sure it is your issue.

As Zonker said if white smoke on start up from cold normally indicates low compression, smoke smells bad and should clear up once the engine warms up. Other suggestion is this steam from the exhaust outlet rather than exhaust smoke, has the mixing elbow corroded out as they are known to do? Is the engine oil milky in colour etc

Rather black smoke when starts up and usually became normal after started but this time started white smoke while running,,,

2 hours ago, cpt_757 said:

Rather black smoke when starts up and usually became normal after started but this time started white smoke while running,,,

So the white smoke doesn't go away when the engine is hot? Think of the white smoke as hot diesel fuel that is not combusted, like an aerobatic planes trail. I would be leaning towards a faulty injector not atomising the fuel or an issue with the precombustion chamber, or some how the injection timing is retarded but very unlikely with your little engine. Simple to have the injector checked at a local fuel shop. Air won't cause smoke unless it has the affect of retarding timing, some rotary pumps are affected by this. Yours isn't a rotary pump, very simple plunger type, and water in the fuel even less of a chance of white smoke but could cause pump or injector issues.

Thank you so much for inputs.

Will check all possibilities you guys pointed.

Thaks again,

8 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

So the white smoke doesn't go away when the engine is hot? Think of the white smoke as hot diesel fuel that is not combusted,

Unburned diesel gives off clouds of black smoke, not white.

image.png.b04f1daa5c9c0eeca520c93a4fdb10b7.png

• Like 1

Yes and no, black smoke is over fueling due to load, fuel setting and Incorrect air to fuel ratio at load. In simple terms a rich mixture. white smoke is low heat or retarded timing etc producing partial combustion.

Trust me, my life has been spent diagnosing small to very large Diesel engine issues, always hard at the end of a key board. How is your real deal friend going, the one that does her own splicing and is a better sailor than me? Did she solve her problem?

Haven't heard from Red since then - she's on the Chessy IIRC - a long way away.

And google "Fuel Injector Cleaning" in your area. Don't take them to a local engine dealer - they will just ship them off to a local injector shop. Easier for you to take it to a shop yourself.

They might want to know the injector opening pressure.  Yanmar GM pressures are higher than typical pickup truck or car diesel injection pressures. I've got a workshop manual that tells you the values if you don't have them.

19 minutes ago, Zonker said:

And google "Fuel Injector Cleaning" in your area. Don't take them to a local engine dealer - they will just ship them off to a local injector shop. Easier for you to take it to a shop yourself.

They might want to know the injector opening pressure.  Yanmar GM pressures are higher than typical pickup truck or car diesel injection pressures. I've got a workshop manual that tells you the values if you don't have them.

Thanks a lot,  I have a shop manual,  will check about.

this morning, smoke are gone but, I ran only without drag.  

I'm guessing he means "ran only without load."

I once had white "smoke" (actually steam) when my heat exchanger got loaded up with deposits from not running the engine enough.  The temperature gauge was OK and it looked like I had good flow out the exhaust, but I had simply become used to seeing flow that had diminished over the months.  I took the end caps off the heat exchanger and carefully rodded it out with a stripped length of solid and smoothed electrical wire, a many-hour job if you want to keep your exchanger intact.

11 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Haven't heard from Red since then - she's on the Chessy IIRC - a long way away.

Good to hear that she is out doing what I should be doing, she sounds like a great lady that I would enjoy the privilege of meeting.

Sea water is injected into the exhaust to cool and silence it.  If the injection pattern of the sea water is compromised by carbon buildup  , the water dribbles down one side of the jacket , it can turn to steam, white

inspect and de carbonize the exhaust jacket 

22 hours ago, Zonker said:

huh what do you mean "ran only without drag"? Ran it in idle at the dock?

Sorry, without engaging gears at dock. Run at high rpm, too.