• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

The Mother of All Sports Boats

Sitting inside an industrial unit in Rushmere Close, West Mersea, Essex, UK is a remarkable piece of yachting history. It is the first keelboat in the world ever designed to plane.

She is Zest, Yachting World Diamond No.1, the oldest sister of my beloved Black Diamond (No.44), a class that has an interesting social history. In the ‘You’ve never had it so good’ era of Macmillan’s post-war boom, after the austerity of the aftermath of WW2, Yachting World decided to try and break the perceived elitism surrounding yachting and create a stitch-and-glue plywood yacht, capable of being home-built (and funded) by the capable D-I-Y enthusiast that came to prominence in the late 1950s. Due to the success of his Mirror Dinghy, designer Jack Holt was commissioned to draw the new design, then called the Yachting World Keelboat, a name that was to be changed to Diamond in 1967. The rest of the story is best told in the article in the next posts, from Yachting World in January 1961 – 

I first saw Zest over a decade ago, in a shed in South Holland, where she had been for twenty years, owned by Bob and Val Provoost. I was contacted by Val last summer, who explained they were selling up and it was time to pass the torch, and I was to be the new custodian of this iconic boat. Fortunately, she came on a purpose-built launching trolley/road trailer combo, by RM Trailers, so all we had to do was drive over in the works Transit van and hook up. Coming back through Calais caused a lot of attention from the border forces, keen to look inside for stowaways, but otherwise, she towed like a dream, and fitted neatly into our small warehouse unit.

Looking forwards to it Greg. The Diamonds had a long, but now extinct, connection to my home club and area.

The International 110 and 210 sailboats were planing two decades before this boat...just saying.

Hi Jethrow, good to see there's still fond memories in Sydney for the Diamond. Saw my first Aussie Diamond from the Manly ferry, Christmas 2005, a couple of months after I had bought Black Diamond. She was white and had one crew out on trapeze. Also went up to Brisbane to meet Ian Wright and drool over Saltash 11, legendary boat (legendary bloke, too). That was my last trip until last October, when I discovered ahead of the trip that the Pittwater fleet was no more, and had to make do with an 18' Skiff race from the deck of a Captain Cook cruise one Saturday. Here's the first page of the article, I'll post the second next hit.

All the best

Greg

Zest YW Article-1.jpg

Hi WCB, fair dues! I had not heard of either class, and after a quick look, I guess that while the 110 is technically a dinghy, the 210 is a bang-on keelboat, only a couple of inches shorter than a Diamond. I also saw one photo showing conversion of a 210 to a cabin boat, however cramped, hatches fore and aft! Very pretty boat, thank you for drawing my attention to it.

On 1/3/2018 at 12:48 PM, Greg Dunn said:

Due to the success of his Mirror Dinghy, designer Jack Holt was commissioned to draw the new design, then called the Yachting World Keelboat, a name that was to be changed to Diamond in 1967. The rest of the story is best told in the article in the next posts, from Yachting World in January 1961 – 

A small technical point which should not in any way detract from this fine story.  Jack Holt (brilliant) designed the Mirror after he designed the Yachting World/Diamond.  The Mirror was designed in 1962 I believe.

I will always have a very special place for the Mirror.  It was the first boat I sailed. My father and I built it together in his garage (at that age I think I was more hindrance than help).  Anyway, we must have done a pretty fine job ...... I was visiting family in Chichester and walked along the foreshore past Dell Quay and there at Dell Quay SC dinghy park was our old boat, complete with hull number and a bulkhead that we installed back to front.... 50+ years old ... probably still being sailed by some kids.  Fair brought a tear to the eye.   Jack Holt did some good things in his time that got a lot of people involved in sailing. 

Anyway.....good for you, preserving an iconic and original Holt boat.

Hi Greg, you've obviously done your homework in regard to the history of the Diamonds.

My home club is RPAYC on Pittwater and a bunch of friends were part of the Diamond fleet back in the day (a bit before my time though).

The local High School also built one in '69 called Kalori.

A nice news item about her with some old pics. http://www.pittwateronlinenews.com/the-kalori---phs-yacht--history.php

Another large fleet was on Lake Macquarie ' in the day '.......   prime attraction factor was home built out of plywood ... I sailed on "Storm" with Don Mackenzie and "Windward" with Wally Prior.....  

Don built 2 x boats in total, the last one in his back yard.   Both boats always Red...  Fred Williams ( Fred Williams Waterskis ) had " Mistress Kate " which was yellow on one side and red  on the other.   The boat did not measure as it was a bit underweight and slight error on a measurement station, but was still a Diamond !  ;) 

The Lake fleet had around 8 - 10 boats at any one time.... then the fiberglass Diamonds appeared.....   but the killer for the fleets in Australia were the Etchells ...

Great times and many stories...

Third generation Brisbane boat builders bought a second hand Jack Holt Diamond class sloop which was skilfully modified to suit ocean racing safety standards and entered the 1985 Brisbane to Gladstone race. Saltash II won the race in 1999, 2001, 2003, 2005, and 2007.

Saltash II freak and most famous Diamond ever (2008)

In 2008, considering the yacht a bit of a freak, rival skipper, Sydney to Hobart champion Roger Hickman, remarked he would like to buy Saltash II and have a bon-fire!

On 1/12/2018 at 2:00 AM, Greg Dunn said:

Hi WCB, fair dues! I had not heard of either class, and after a quick look, I guess that while the 110 is technically a dinghy, the 210 is a bang-on keelboat, only a couple of inches shorter than a Diamond. I also saw one photo showing conversion of a 210 to a cabin boat, however cramped, hatches fore and aft! Very pretty boat, thank you for drawing my attention to it.

Here we go again... can someone define what a sportboat is before claiming 'first' or in this case 'mother'?  What, now a sportboat has to have a cabin?  What about the Viper, or VXOne?  Do us a favor newbie and read the forum before posting out of your ass.  

On 1/12/2018 at 3:00 AM, Greg Dunn said:

Greg, look again.  The 110 has a 300lb keel so no way it qualifies as a dinghy.  The 110 keel I'm dragging around my yard on a pallet as I fair it is a constant reminder.

As for the cabin, like pasta said, not sure why that qualifies it as anything, that's the first I've heard of that qualifier.  Take a look at the Elliott 6m, the SB20...etc.  no cabins, just storage areas, just like the 110s and 210s...etc.

If you ever want to get rid of that 110 keel I can put you in contact with the Inverness fleet. We strapped a 110 keel to our moore trailer and helped ship one back from Hawaii. 

41 minutes ago, Ian Rogers said:

If you ever want to get rid of that 110 keel I can put you in contact with the Inverness fleet. We strapped a 110 keel to our moore trailer and helped ship one back from Hawaii. 

WCB's keel goes along with his boat, they just happen to be disconnected at the moment.

Still a number of (YW) Diamonds racing out of Royal Yacht Club of Victoria here in Melbourne, Aus. Photo credit to RYCV site & Daffy Wallace. Photographer and former Diamond sailor (and just about everything else sailor)

Three-diamonds-race-to-the-twilight-tune.jpg.77a1429eb36629290b5e33b5e971b497.jpgRough-Cut-during-CMS-race-2.jpg.588b50c671eac715dd0134257fdfb59d.jpg