Grande Mastere Dreade

there be pirates in the north sea

Toy ship sails from Scotland to Scandinavia

Ollie Ferguson, eight, and Harry, five, from Turriff, first launched their Playmobil ship from Peterhead at the end of May.

It sailed hundreds of miles to Denmark, where a family sent it on its way. It then made it to Sweden and Norway.

The boys launched the pirate ship as part of a bucket list of adventures they have put together.

The ship, named Adventure, needed some adaptations before it was ready to tackle the North Sea.

A counterweight was added to help it stay upright and it was filled it with polystyrene to help it stay afloat.

After trials in a swimming pool, they took it to the coast and launched it into the waves.

It carries a message asking anyone who finds the boat to launch Adventure back into the sea.

Their father, MacNeill Ferguson, said: "Everyone that has picked it up has been really kind and sent us photos and looked after it.

"People are really getting into the spirit of it.

"The boys have enjoyed it and every time we get a message telling us where it has landed we get on the computer and work out where it went, so they are tracking its progress on the map and it gives them an understanding of how big the world is."

'Over the moon'

He continued: "I was concerned that the currents along the coast would take it down the north east coast of Scotland, so I was over the moon when it made a beeline for Scandinavia.

"It reached Denmark and then Sweden, where it was picked up by a lady who was sailing her own boat and found it in a tree. She was really kind and remade the sails for it.

"Then it was picked up by a Norwegian conservation vessel."

The story attracted interest in the Norwegian media, and Adventure is now being taken aboard the Christian Radich, a Norwegian full-rigged ship.

It will carry the vessel down to Cape Verde and then launch it, giving it the chance to sail across the Atlantic.

_97671573_ship2.jpg

• Like 1

Another story, "Paddle to the Sea", similar in this it was a story about a carved canoe that did just that.

Cheers,

Jim B)

Hi Boys,

my now grown-up boy has one of those as well. We might be able to copy you. Just think about the two would meet somewhere in the ocean? Would they fight or join forces and head for the caribean? I wish you a jolly good times - learn sailing and cruise the oceans!

8 hours ago, bacq2bacq said:

Holling Clancy Holling - there's an authors name you'll never forget. The fam had all his books in my childhood.

Bacq2bacq, Many thanks for posting as I am sure many on here will appreciate.

I first read the book when I was in school and that was some time ago.  The book version I read (what I can remember) was that "Paddle" past through many people who

repaired, modified (as in an attached engraved metal plate fixed to the bottom with the original message) and sent "Paddle" on his way.  It was a story that had my imagination

all my life, never forgot it.  Dunno if I have this right or not, but I would have liked to believe it was a true yarn.....?

Apologies for thread drift.

Cheers,

Jim  B)

Edited by JimL
addition

I know where there is enough depleted uranium locally near my house to give that pirate ship a proper French keel. 

As Canadian kids my wife and I, at opposite ends of the country, watched Paddle to the Sea in school about once a year. Watching as an adult the original musical score really jumps out. Also how did they get all those animals to interact with it? Great they've cleaned up the Great Lakes a lot since then. If they made this today I would be as a cartoon and would be totally lame compared to this film. 

I am delighted so many others seem to share my thinking that this was a highly influential classic!

We'll be not paddling but pulling to the sea our little boat, from Ottawa (NFB!) to cruise Bahamas Feb/March.

Mono/leadbelly sailors in the area get rides for free.  Ian Farrier just died, and someone else needs to trumpet the advantages of his boats.

Drop a note to jbbacque_at_gmail_dot_com or cruiser's net on the VHF:  We are F-31 "Osprey".

ben

Apologies for thread-drift...