• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
rwaterman

Catalina 30 Muffler Replacement

Anyone out there ever had to replace the water lift muffler in a Catalina 30?  We have a 1985 boat and the muffler appears to be leaking; mixing elbow is suspect too.  It looks like the boat was built on top of the engine and exhaust.  Do you have to remove the galley to get it out?  Will it somehow fit out of one of those little access openings?  Any issues with getting the exhaust hose off?  I want to keep the exhaust hose going out (it;s fairly new), anything else can be cut.  All advice welcome; thanks!

Rob W.

Have you spoken to Catalina? They are famous for their customer support.

The galley cabinet will come out and provide more space.  I just completed an engine replacement in my Cat 30.  Unfortunately I didn't pull the water muffler - I just reused it.  I assume you had the original muffler which was fiberglass. If it is, indeed, leaking from a crack or pinhole you could consider just repairing it with some glass and resin.  

As mentioned, removing the galley makes it easier.  I had 1975 hull #91 and had the engine out a few times and also replaced the water heater which was under there as well.  Mine had a big metal onan generator muffler which I replaced with a small fiberglass one.    I got good at getting the galley out.

Good boats and you can still get the catalina folks to talk to you about issues / projects.

--Kevin

Thank you all!  I don't know why it didn't occur to me to call Catalina, duh.  I have heard for years that their customer service is amazing.  Galley removal looks like a real PITA but if it's gotta be done so be it.  Thanks again.

Cheers

rwaterman, I removed the galley to have good access to the engine. It has several but not many sheet metal screws holding it to the top of the engine box. I have an older boat ('77), so I do not know if they made changes that far down the road in construction techniques..There were a few screws up near the shelves too.

You can probably do this work without removing the galley, but it will get in the way.. The first time I removed the galley, I had it out all winter...Now it is a 30 minute job if I want to remove it.

Even though you likely have a diesel, Moyer Marine has a nice stainless waterlift that should work...It is pricey though. I have an Atomic4 in my boat, and I am using a Vetus muffler. Which motor do you have?

tiz, any pics of the water heater in there? My boat (#511) didn't even have pressure water..it has that now, but I'd like to add hot for a head rinse off, or things like washing dishes.

'Bitches - 

Sorry but probably no pictures.  I got the boat in 86 and sold it in 96, so it was a while ago.
I recall the heater as a white fiberglass housing but probably any small ~6gal water heater would work.  The way it was arranged was:

engine on centerline

outboard and aft (under galley) was the muffler (onan type changed to small f/g "can")

fwd of the muffler was the batteries - also next to engine

outboard of the muffler and batteries was the water heater.

There were little wood platforms glassed to the hull for the muffler, batteries and water heater to acommodate the hull curve. 

We never had particularly hot water since the a4 was raw-water-cooled and set up to run on the cool side to prevent salt buildup in the water jackets.

--Kevin

Thanks for the reply. I've relocated my batteries to stbd and converted the old A4 to FWC, so I have some room to work with and some heat.. I've been thinking about using the antifreeze loop to add a simple inline HX (like an oil cooler from a big diesel) that I can run as 'on-demand' for hot water instead heating up 6 gals worth. One less major "system" to deal with.