• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
mcsailor0303

Anyone know this cat?

I spotted this cat in a local marina and I’m curious what it is.  Thought it was a Crowther at first, but after some research don’t think so.  I would guess ~30’, and she’s named Terrapin from Portland .  Any thoughts?  Thanks!

65FED9ED-4C29-4813-A521-DB41C3F0D06A.jpeg

I looked up the registration and found that it is a 38' home-built cat first registered (under current owner) in 2004.  The more I look at it, the more I like it!

I also think she is a Bob Harris design.

Steve.

I too think it could be a Harris design. I like it!

It might pitch a bit, but I'll bet it could go around the world.

I'll get this one right.  Seasmoke's owner was James Arness.

One of these days I'll spring for a sheet feeder scanner and tear apart my collection of Multihulls Magazine.  That will be a good retirement project.

Or Kelsall....

Kelsall wrote a nice post recently on a thread which was deleted couple of days ago.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Russell Brown said:

Kelsall wrote a nice post recently on a thread which was deleted couple of days ago.

Deleting two threads like that is extremely rude.  WTF is up with Nunbouy?  Does anyone know who he is?  Smelled like a sock puppet...

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/profile/129667-nunbouy/

• Like 1

Jack,

SEASMOKE was owner by Arness, fitting name yes? I had just moved to Long Beach, Ca and had gone as far in the Navy Sailing Club program as was available and I joined the Long Beach Seascouts since it was a short bike ride from home. I had been in their program a month or so when I discovered SEASMOKE in the LB Marina and I was smitten. Then I found out that it had been donated to the Seal Beach Seascouts and I wanted to switch programs but my Dad refused to let me saying that would make me a 'quitter'. The LB Seascouts had a fine shore facility (funded by the oil islands profit) but they had shit for boats. It was appalling what crap they would take on donated boats and it was criminal to let kids out on the water in most of them. I took pride in personally destroying a SNIPE, a WINDMILL, and another small daysail sloop (the last two in the same afternoon!) that should have gone straight to the dump. I just wanted to go to the Seal Beach facility just to have the opportunity to sail on SEASMOKE and could care less about the clubhouse. I was so disappointed when James Arness and another Hollywood star and yachtsman did the Tran-Pac with a Seascout crew. I think that Rolf Arness the son did the race as well and he was the World Surfing Champ at the time.

Image result for rolf aurness son of james arness

SEASMOKE is in Hawaii now and I found this in a website 

Help us celebrate the 50th birthday of our flagship, Seasmoke.
Commissioned in 1966 by James Arness (you may remember him as Marshall Matt Dillon from the TV show Gunsmoke), Seaamoke was designed and built by Rudy Choy of C/S/K Catamarans to be the fastest boat on the water. And she was…she won all the races she entered and even set new speed records in the Molokai Channel!
After James Arness tired of racing (and winning), he gave Seasmoke to the Sea Scouts…and in 1978, our own Captain Will Ward helped to sail her to the Big Island.

Seasmoke 1981

Seasmoke at the Bay in 1981

Ocean Sports acquired her in 1981 when we first opened up operations. She left us for Maui in 1984, but we got her back again in 1993…and we’re never letting her go!
2017 is a big year for our Seasmoke — she’s played a big role in our lives, and we plan to celebrate her with stories and photos and even a few contests!
But our SEASMOKE adventures are really YOUR SEASMOKE adventures…we invite you to share in the celebration…send us your stories and photos too!
Hau’oli la Hanau SEASMOKE! We love you!

• Like 1

What's this about a Derek Kelsal post being deleted?

10 hours ago, Steve said:

What's this about a Derek Kelsal post being deleted?

Three entire threads created by a troll named "Nunbouy" were deleted with many comments by many people including Derek Kelsall about the Neel 45 trimaran, Chris White's Juniper and mast foil sails.  Extremely rude to do that.  Doubt it was a moderator because his profile still exists.  A salesman with an agenda...

• Like 2

Russell, maybe he didn't have a GoodYear.  It did feel odd his socks smelled fishy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Russell Brown said:

Whoever that guy was, he sure took offense to me calling him a tire kicker.

I'm guessing he had it out for you before you even posted to the thread. Just a wack job full of piss and vinegar.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, olsurfer said:

I'm guessing he had it out for you before you even posted to the thread. Just a wack job full of piss and vinegar.

Believe it or not, I found him to be a worthwhile contributor.  ;-)  They were certainly worthwhile threads, and it was definitely "rude" to remove them.

I asked Scott what had happened. He thought he may have been banned, thus losing all his content.  I queried this, the answer was "yep - all gone. sorry mate".  No answer on if, whether or why he was banned.  

• Downvote 1

On 1/5/2018 at 7:29 PM, Russell Brown said:

I too think it could be a Harris design. I like it!

It might pitch a bit, but I'll bet it could go around the world.

Hey RB, I'm pretty unfamiliar with multis.  Could you explain why you think it would pitch a bit?  Is it something to do with the hull shape or rig placement?  Just curious, thanks!  

It's a bit fine in the sterns compared to modern catamaran hull shapes, but I'll bet it works well.

Is the boat in good shape? Are you going to buy it?

She looks pretty neglected...  I'm working with the harbor master trying to get in touch with the owner.  No plans to buy right now, already have a couple other projects.

Still scratching my head on this one! 

After tons of research on the previous suggestions, I don't believe it is any of these designs:

• Choy
  • Appache
  • Harris
  • Kelsall

Any other guesses, or suggestions on other places to look?

Here is another shot of her:

26731502_992464446916_613407702203888727

I'm going out on a limb here and firm up my opinion that the TERRAPIN is a Robert Harris. The location is very near Bob's area and I see this Harris 50 named SUNGOD to have similar attributes. I did read that Harris was heavily influenced on Choy cats in Hawaii.

banniere_(1).jpg?v=1d1oq69

I totally agree, and stumbled upon SUNGOD as well.  So much looks similar, but I can't find any record of 38' plans?  Maybe the builder scaled that down?

Just a thought but the Northwest Multihull Association in Seattle (begun in 1966 as a raw material buyers club) have some members down south that pop occasionally as well as oldtimers.  I'm a newbie there but I can ask around to see if any one knows this boat.

It is confirmed that she is a custom Robert Harris custom one-off design built in 1974.  Very interesting boat and story!

I'll post here as I find out more.  

I was told she was heavily built for a couple in '74, possibly by Harris's son.  At some point a family bought her and lived aboard then sailed up the inside passage to Alaska.  Current owner picked her up in early 2000's and lived aboard.

One interesting thing is that she has a single Perkins diesel, but twin screws with some sort of hydrolic or compression drive.  Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

Skeg hung rudders, with center boards in each hull.  Current owner stated they are non ballasted, and the draft is 3' with boards up, and ~7' with the boards down.

26734484_993440436026_892809490052398332

26734496_993440401096_343945887409455587

26730679_993440406086_439979467378544940