argh

Sports boat steering downwind -instructional videos?

I’ve been sailing a Melges 24 for two seasons. It is my first experience driving a boat with an asymmetric. We have come a long way from being miserably slow to being reasonably fast in heavy and light air, but the top boats really kills us in marginal planing conditions. 

Are there any good instructional videos where someone would be commenting on the driving? Quantum and Chris Rast has this one on switching modes:

and there is this Embarr video from Miami... 

but any other good videos that would teach driving a sports boat downwind?

Any good articles or books?

I ordered the newer Bethwaite books from Amazon... I’ve read the first book back in the days before buying the boat, but at that time I sailed heavy cruiser/racers so I probably skipped over the asymmetric and planing stuff...

Meanwhile I found this video by Ian Walker and John Merricks:

The beef is around 40minutes in, there is a practical example of generating apparent wind. 

The US M24 Class is working with NorthU to create a boat handling video series.  We are beginning the process next weekend in Miami at our first event of 2018.  There is not a timetable of when the footage will be completed but its in the pipeline.  So stay tuned.

Travis Weisleder

US M24 Class Pres

That’s good news! I hope that in addition to boathandling the series would include some video with focus on driving.