Sign in to follow this  
NOCALSAILOR

Powder coat vs hard anodize?

What will last longer in the tropics for aluminium parts? I'm interested in the powder coating because the boom and mast are white and the parts would be the same colour, but metal protection is most important.

If you can anodize, anodize.

• Like 1

+1 - I've had powder coating come off alloy in nearly a single piece with lots of grey powder underneath.

powder coat seems to be good for about 3-5 years - then it comes off in sheets with corrosion underneath.

Anodizing is 10x better

Powder coat does not breathe enough...or something...to keep the alloy surface healthy. The 35 year old anodizing of my toerail is nearly perfect. Faded black, yes, but only corroded where someone had mounted some stainless bit on it.

The Awlgrip paint system works well on the mast. But eventually fails. Especially around the stainless, again. Maybe 15 years.

7 hours ago, NOCALSAILOR said:

What will last longer in the tropics for aluminium parts? I'm interested in the powder coating because the boom and mast are white and the parts would be the same colour, but metal protection is most important.

If you are purchasing new , silver anodizing is the way to go.

you cant anodize or powder coat an old mast.

shot blasted aluminum  with  the correct primer paint system  is very long lasting 

always paint things WHITE if you will be operating in high temp environment...dark colours will self destruct

3 hours ago, slug zitski said:

you cant anodize or powder coat an old mast.

Hmmm - why not? If you can get it back to bare, shiny metal?

You would need a gigantic facitity to handle the mast.

you cant anodize or powder coat in the parking lot.

you can paint it in the parking lot 

There is an old swan in the shipyard...the mast is out for service

.  The mast is silver anodized, 30 years old and looks very good after a   soap and water scrub and polish with lanolin 

a painted mast needs a recoat ever ten years 

Extruded and plate aluminum anodize well.  Cast aluminum does not anodize well, if at all.  If you're unsure, check to see if your part will take up the color from Alodyne (a chromate conversion solution).  If it does, it will anodize well.  If not, then not.

If the boom or mast is cast aluminum, I'd deep six it and start again. They are almost certainly extruded, and will anodize fine. If there is any corrosion at all, you will see it through the anodize though. With paint you can patch it up and make it look good. 

I've never seen powder coat last more that a couple of years. A properly prepped two part polyurethane paint job should last 10 or more. 

4 hours ago, DDW said:

I've never seen powder coat last more that a couple of years. A properly prepped two part polyurethane paint job should last 10 or more.

Prep is everything.......

Our dinghy boom was powdercoated several years ago by a mate who owns a powdercoating operation. Sandblasted, zinc chromate primer, still looks great after the battering it takes being raced. Cost was a slab of beer for his guys.

(Our cruising boat, all spars 2-pack coated 10 years ago, also still looking good.)

That could be true - I don't know. What I do know it that I have bought probably a hundred different power coated products from a hundred different vendors, and none of them has lasted worth a damn. It is possible that all hundred are crap at surface prep, but also possible that powder coat as normally used is crap. It fades badly in the sun, then falls off. I get better life out of a hardware store spray can. 

On the other hand I painted something with PU two part several years ago. It can be a messy product to use, and in the course of it I got some paint spread on a couple of other things as collateral damage. No prep at all on these things. The paint is still there. For example some of it got on a rubber water hose that is used daily and stored outdoors in the sun. That paint is still stuck to that water hose. Bad, flexible surface, dirty, no prep - but still stuck.

No question that 2 pack is the best, and you can learn to apply it well with a bit of practice. Urethanes are tough and a bit flexible, just what's needed for spars.

I only used powdercoating as it was offered, at a good price! (They've  a good-sized operation, does fences mostly, and maybe they took extra care!)

Have 10 years on my powder coated portlight frames.

they are starting to dull a bit.

Never did a thing after reinstalling them.

Guess I got lucky...

You might find things are different if you dismounted one. I had a mast deck collar that looked perfect but when I removed it the powder coat came of in a deck collar shaped piece that had a lot of grey poweder under it.

On 1/6/2018 at 3:05 PM, Moonduster said:

And a polish with lanolin

For fucks sake, it's a mast, not your cock.

Use paste wax

Moonduster, thanks for the laugh. Having a shitty day in the office and needed a good chuckle. Was going to ask the same thing though, lanolin?