Sign in to follow this  
Leeroy Jenkins

Singlehand spinnaker gybe: Dip pole or end for end?

Current thread over on SA. We don't actually sail here.

2 hours ago, 167149 said:

twin downhauls work a treat

Is that with twin poles? Haven’t heard of that one.

7 hours ago, olaf hart said:

Is that with twin poles? Haven’t heard of that one.

single pole that can be virtually left out, 1 sheet each side with a down haul to each,

Im pretty sure a dip pole gybe would be an absolute shitfight solo. Even end for end is hard enough. As someone mentioned previously a sock/snuffer would be your friend here.

I think the OP is on a 35'er.  It is my understanding that this is often where the demarcation line for dip vs. end-for-end begins.

I can't see how one would do a dip-pole, completely solo but I certainly don't have all the answers.  For the OP, I like the idea of end-for-end with a carbon pole...or a sock. Or an asymm.

Dude, that was awesome!   He has some kind of line rigged to trip the jaw?  Is that you, or did you just find the video?

Not to take anything away from the guy, but the breeze seemed light... which is the only way I'd do it.

10 hours ago, Ajax said:

Dude, that was awesome!   He has some kind of line rigged to trip the jaw?  Is that you, or did you just find the video?

Not to take anything away from the guy, but the breeze seemed light... which is the only way I'd do it.

Yep, that's me. I do run the pole trip line back to the Topping lift clutch area. I also mark the Topping lift as well as Velcro the lazy guy to the pulpit so it is ready to slap into the jaws.

I guess the wind was lighter that day. I think it might have been 10 knots. Many have commented on how light the wind was and how that made it easier. I have no videos to prove it, but I have many successful jibes in a lot more wind. Flame on!

It may not appear like it, but I was hitting 10 knots in this video and made several jibes that day.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Great White said:

Yep, that's me. I do run the pole trip line back to the Topping lift clutch area. I also mark the Topping lift as well as Velcro the lazy guy to the pulpit so it is ready to slap into the jaws.

I guess the wind was lighter that day. I think it might have been 10 knots. Many have commented on how light the wind was and how that made it easier. I have no videos to prove it, but I have many successful jibes in a lot more wind. Flame on!

It may not appear like it, but I was hitting 10 knots in this video and made several jibes that day.

The joy of seeing a man enjoying his boat. Nice sail handling too.

GW,  your video reminds me that I still have an awful lot to learn. :)

Years ago I had a boat with a Hoyt “gun mount”, it made single handing a sym spinnaker child’s play.

So simple my wife would use the downwind leg to breast feed the baby.

I sometimes wonder what we could do now with carbon tubes and non stretch lines, turn a sym spinnaker into a sort of square sail.

pivot the yard on the existing up haul and down haul, use sheets and foreguys to control the kite....

8 hours ago, Ajax said:

GW,  your video reminds me that I still have an awful lot to learn. :)

Me too.  I still don't feel ready to doublehand my Express 37 with a sym kite, and GW goes and does it singlehanded with a very similar boat.  Last year this was on my mind as he passed me in RTTS as we came around Marrowstone Point where he executed a nice clean spinnaker jybe and I was going slow with only jib and main (we entered NFS).

I haven't thought about running the trip line aft, but on our boat that would let us save one person, since the pit person could trip on jibes.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a Hoyt "gun mount"? 

6 minutes ago, kotick said:

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a Hoyt "gun mount"? 

It's a spinnaker system consisting of a pole that passes through a short tube mounted to the pulpit. Easier to watch than describe.

OK, thank you very much! I supposed that it had to be some device similar to the Hoyt boom. It could be useful in small boats but I'm not going to bolt this thing on my bow!

IF I had to jibe a symm kite single handed, on a 35 + ft boat, it would definitely be dip-pole.

If I were doing a lot of single handing, I'd be looking at options for an A-sail...

On my previous boat, a Jeanneau Sun Fast 32, it was really easy to jibe end-for-end when sailing singlehanded, but I would not try this in anything bigger than this.