Hike, Bitches!

West epoxy - bond aluminum angle to sheet foam?

So, I want to build a foam box..I was thinking the external 'skeleton' could be aluminum angle. This box would eventually cover the stairs into the attic as insulation.
Does anyone have experience with this type of endeavor using West System? Will the blue backed 2" foam at the local hardware store hold up to West epoxy, and will the West bond to both the alum. & the foam?

no problem using epoxy with extruded polystyrene foam (the pink or the blue stuff)

polyester resin will dissolve it

The west will bond to the aluminum - but epoxy bonds to alum. aren't great for structural purposes and may not last forever (will last for a few years in a marine application if lucky)

on land, with no salt air, it may last for a while longer

Epoxy bonds fine to aluminum, with proper prep of course but the bond to the EPS foam is not very good. Rather the epoxy bond is fine but the foam to itself is not very good.I believe west now recommends their G flex for bonding to aluminum but I think any epoxy would be wasted on such a project. You will probably have as much success using an adhesive made for use with the blue foam that they sell at the store.

Well...I was also thinking that I could enhance the bond with some small screws/nuts/fender washers..kinda how they shoot insulation fasteners into cinderblock basements with a .22 rifle, except I would drill holes and use nuts/screws. This is going in the ceiling of the garage..so except for temperature extremes (fucking cold right now...8°F tonight, to 115-120°F in summer) it is protected from the weather itself. I am trying to make my garage/work shop warmer in winter...I have been running two propane heaters tonight to get it UP to 57°F with outside temps in the single digits.

I have heard great things about the G-flex...I have not used it yet myself.

I have gallons of West products around, but maybe simple mechanical fasteners will work better here. 

PL 300 is meant for polystyrene insulation and I know it sticks to steel, so it might be a cheap, less messy method to start.

I can't imagine any mechanical fasteners doing anything into extruded poly foam. It's so weak. Construction adhesive like "Liquid Nails" might be better.

There are ready-made styrofoam boxes for attic stairs at Home Depot and other fine stores.  Priced very reasonably.

If you insist, use foil faced foam and real duct tape.

I appreciate all the suggestions. This is all in the planning stages so anything is possible.

18 hours ago, cameron said:

PL 300 is meant for polystyrene insulation and I know it sticks to steel, so it might be a cheap, less messy method to start.

Yep, that's what I was thinking of, just couldn't remember the name. Actually Diamond jims idea has merit, if you use the foil faced polyisocyanurate  you can use the foil tape as well as glue it.

Why do you need a frame?  I have an attic stair cap made from 2” styrofoam and construction adhesive with no frame. It was old when I bought this place in 2009 and still working fine today. 

On 1/6/2018 at 9:06 PM, Hike, Bitches! said:

Well...I was also thinking that I could enhance the bond with some small screws/nuts/fender washers..kinda how they shoot insulation fasteners into cinderblock basements with a .22 rifle, except I would drill holes and use nuts/screws. This is going in the ceiling of the garage..so except for temperature extremes (fucking cold right now...8°F tonight, to 115-120°F in summer) it is protected from the weather itself. I am trying to make my garage/work shop warmer in winter...I have been running two propane heaters tonight to get it UP to 57°F with outside temps in the single digits.

I have heard great things about the G-flex...I have not used it yet myself.

I have gallons of West products around, but maybe simple mechanical fasteners will work better here. 

i hope you have a carbon monoxide detector in your shop...  if you not, go get one..   lost 4 hunters here in texas recently who were running a propane heater in an old trailer...

I have one in the house because we have a pellet stove, but I will add one to the garage/shop. It is 460 sq. ft, but that is no excuse to not have one.