JMF

Moth - adding bladder to tramp

Hi,

I try to get things as clean as possible before begining Moth foiling. It happens that my boat has no " training wheels" = big bladders on the tramps. Only foam noodles slid on the tramp sides. See attached pictures. I'm afraid that it may not be sufficient for the beginning

Are there some easy options to add complementary floatation aids to the tramps for beginning (even if not competitive for racing) ?

I also consider stiching bladder pockets under the tramps, but can't find infos about the type of cloth for the pockets, how it opens or close. Not many pictures on the net abouth this critial detail :-)

JMF

P1071091.JPG

P1071089.JPG

Actually, given the pain that adding bladders is, I'd just stick with the noodles.  The point of wing floatation is just to give you a bit more time (~30 sec or so) to recover, not to keep the thing afloat on its side.

I'm part-way through replacing my bladder pockets right now (tramps got old and were coming apart anyway).  One approach (no idea what the major brands are doing): put a pocket that encapsulates the bladder on the bottom of the tramp.  Cut an athwartship slot at the end of it, velcro shut, so you can put the bladders in (or take them back out).  Put a hole at the fore end for the inflation nipple.  My originals were rip-stop nylon.  As the fabric and thread aged, it got too weak and I ripped them off a few times in high-speed crashes.  I'm replacing by just doubling the same fabric (using 9oz Dacron) as the tramp, leaving a pocket for the bladder.

4 hours ago, BrianM v2 said:

Actually, given the pain that adding bladders is, I'd just stick with the noodles.  The point of wing floatation is just to give you a bit more time (~30 sec or so) to recover, not to keep the thing afloat on its side.

I think that learning to sail the Moth is difficult enough without adding to it by going without the bladders.

Apparently, even some big names in the Moth World agree with me.

Chris Rashley describes them as "absolutely critical" in this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4OWY1MgZIU

And Nathan Outteridge praises them in this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlQi0Vxh1-w

I'd look for a way to tie another swim floater on the underside of the wingbars. Stitching a proper floater to the tramps is not the easiest thing in the world

Some pictures of details of bladder pocket construction would be very helpful :-)

JMF

The pockets need to be much bigger. Best if the bladders are in separate pockets to the bars and ropes. Mine was like the photo so I unstitched them sewed on a 150mm dacron extension, and make much wider pockets, them made some light cloth bags for the Mach2 bladders with tabs each end to hold them in. I putthe bladders in the bags then tie the bags in the pockets, blow up bladdes and it floats like a mach2. It might have been better to have have sewn the soft cloth in with the pocket extension and inserted the bladders and bars in separate pockets.

Hi, thanks for the advices.

I will try to find long enough swim floater and try to stich them under the wing bars. Let's hope that 2 or 3 swim floaters on each side can provide efficient training wheels.

In parallel, I will investigate the possibility to modify my tramps to make bigger pockets and add bladders

I used to use what we call pool noodles which looks like you call swim floaters. 2 plus one split down the middle in each wing seemed to give enough support. Mach2 floaties give a little more.

As Phil said, "pool noodles" do a pretty good job and are low maintenance. You don't want too much buoyancy in the wings, it helps more with capsize recovery than prevention.

The last day of our nationals we foiled out to the scheduled 1200 start where the wind dropped and we waited for 3 hours until it returned, just before the lime limit expired, thenhad a very nice short race to close out the event. Having generous floaties made the wait bearable.

Too much and the boat can invert and not be rightable.

Hi,

Thanks for the amount of suitable number of swim floaters (2.5), and for the warning that too much may have adverse consequences :-)

JMF