• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Roller Skates

J22 Rudderhead - vertical cracks from tiler bolt?

Cal 20 wood rudders crack there.  Fix is to through bolt a plate on each side.  They crack on the grain because the tiller connection only transferrs load to half the crossection of the rudder.  Might be the same issue for you depending on how the rudder is built.  Maybe post on the j boat forum here.

That’s a new one for me.

the brown stains scream “there is a rotted core!!!”

fo the cracks chsngevdizecehrn you apply stress??

can you easily compress the head with a large clamp?

rotted core at the Head is  nasty as water runs downhill.

still.... I suspect these cracks could be cosmetic...

or maybe just wish that is the case 

Worse case??? The entire core is compost 

20 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

can you easily compress the head with a large clamp?

Not much, it seems like the core is fairly solid. Wondering if the tiller was loose and maybe cammed off the head in a strange fashion? Compressed the core immediately under? but doesn't scream soggy, and doesn't compress below at all. Felt like a void more than anything, 1/16 of compression, and only right in between the cracks, level with the bolt hole.

Guess the way to check is to simply open up one side and prepare for the fun?

Are the cracks on both sides?  Or just one?  I assume on both.  Likely a combination of some wet core/skin delam, with the potential of loose tiller/rudder head bolt allowing the stainless steel plates to move and add torque to the front edge of rudder in one direction while pushing center of rudder in the other direction during a big broach or on a day with big breeze and a loaded up rudder???

Think only way to know is to cut into it to see.  I guess you could take a small drill bit and drill some exploratory holes...see if the core that comes out on the bit is wet or dry.  If dry, just may be cosmetic?  If wet, need to dig into it and see what's up?

If you sand away the gelcoat and get the “Brown glass laminate” wet you should be able to see through it enough to check for structural problems.

Mad you need to sand some to get rid of the ugly crack... it isn’t extracwork  

I suspect wet core, then frozen if you are from up north.  I have had to deal with frozen core cracking before.

DD