• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
MR.CLEAN

What Is It? Foiling Ghost...

19 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Design for the future in Auckland, or just more [above-the-]water vapor?

Screen Shot 2018-01-07 at 10.52.29 AM.png

sweet - looks like a sinker though

• Like 1

Sinker version of Hydroptere except with UptiP foils instead of surface piercing foils---imaginative.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 4

Not to impressed.

Give a Green fleet Opti kid a picture of Hydroptre ,the latest I Sketchy App and voila.

May of been a little harsh with my last comment .

Igor, Yelena ,Natasha and myself may of had a few to many Vodkas last night and i may of been under the weather a little this morning.

But i am impressed at what looks to be a sailing structure or piece of art work ?

16 hours ago, ~Stingray~ said:

DSoY20-XkAEW88d?format=jpg&name=large

Genesis?

I may of been a little harsh with my last comment .

Igor ,Yelena, Natasha and myself may of had one to many vodkas last night and i may of been a little under the weather when i posted .

But i am impressed that some one has built a model/ sailing structure or just a  pure piece of art ?

Someone should have told the artist that the foils are supposed to be in the water, not skimming over it…

15 hours ago, Justaquickone said:

May of been a little harsh with my last comment .

Igor, Yelena ,Natasha and myself may of had a few to many Vodkas last night and i may of been under the weather a little this morning.

But i am impressed at what looks to be a sailing structure or piece of art work ?

I may of been a little harsh with my last comment .

Igor ,Yelena, Natasha and myself may of had one to many vodkas last night and i may of been a little under the weather when i posted .

But i am impressed that some one has built a model/ sailing structure or just a  pure piece of art ?

This is still just a 3d rendering...

Hi guys, I am the creator of these images. Shocked to see my image doing the front page of a forum I visit regularly. And right away I knew I would have to brace for impact! Was quite cracking up reading the replies as I usually do when reading these forums. 

A little bit of background. I am originally from France, grew up sailing with my dad cruising and racing in the mediterranean sea, and windsurfed for many years. As a kid I grew up obsessed with the America’s cup and drawing 12mji’s as we called them in France. My job took me in a very different direction, the movie industry, as an industrial designer and concept artist. This foiler (monohull yes) is a small snippet of a massive book coming soon about yachts done with other guys. I am responsible for the sailing segment, and extremely proud to do something about my lifelong passion. I hope you guys will enjoy it, if not I will keep cracking up reading the comments anyway 

D

ps: I did these concepts in 2014 but was excited to see the AC may go the foiling monohull road. Hell I am excited even if they do it on optimists.

• Like 4

Vyleart, obviously Tabarly and Thebault have had influence in your dry bones skeletal version and your outer space machine is somehow so dynamic and efficient it has lifted craft and perforated? wing beam clear of water surface and is flying despite being against all principles. Very nice art work by the way.

Hydroptere.jpg

yes inspiration were definitely Tabarly, Hydroptere, David Keiper's williwaw, the AC's and so on. Anything cool with foils.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vyleart said:

yes inspiration were definitely Tabarly, Hydroptere, David Keiper's williwaw, the AC's and so on. Anything cool with foils.

Imaginative and very cool-thanks!

• Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Phil S said:

At least Bernard Smith actually built his fantacies and tested them:   http://www.oocities.org/aerohydro/designframeset.htm  in the 1950s too. Some people do not learn from history.

Is that the same Bernard Smith Engineering that built the steelwork for the Sydney Opera house? .. I had some dealings with them in the late 60's and early '70s .. by all accounts the Opera house nearly broke the company.

COR/D have released some of the design submissions that came in with expressions of interest - clearly trying to influence the rule while it may still be mutable..

No attribution has been given by COR/D, but.....

benoe_p52_dst1___voyage_of_the_yes_by_b_

NEPTUNE R005 Starship / Yacht

neptune_r_005_yacht_by_pinarci-d6f2z5y.j

toolian___katana___color_wip_by_a_nesses

19 minutes ago, nav said:

COR/D have released some of the design submissions that came in with expressions of interest - clearly trying to influence the rule while it may still be mutable..

toolian___katana___color_wip_by_a_nesses

Whoa - Nice foiling monomaran!

31 minutes ago, nav said:

benoe_p52_dst1___voyage_of_the_yes_by_b_

I heard from a credible source that the gullible italian was told it was a mono.

^ That's just 'sustainable Ben' pushing things a bit in the direction he'd like to see it go probably - it's all epoxy reinforced hemp anyway...

Too much Hydroptere?

44 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

I heard from a credible source that the gullible italian was told it was a mono.

Monoramultiscaffi!

On 1/8/2018 at 7:06 PM, vyleart said:

My job took me in a very different direction, the movie industry, as an industrial designer and concept artist.

Can you sneak one of your creations into a movie for us , cause that would be pretty cool.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2018 at 8:01 PM, See Level said:

Can you sneak one of your creations into a movie for us , cause that would be pretty cool.

Maybe not in a movie (want to keep my job...), but in the book definitely!

On 1/12/2018 at 11:38 AM, vyleart said:

Maybe not in a movie (want to keep my job...), but in the book definitely!

Wouldn't happened to of worked on "Altered Carbon ". Have watched the series twice and noticed a resemblance between your art work and many scenes in the series ?

I have found the show to be" Visually Stunning" !

I dig the foiler no-hull aesthetic, so I am, of course, a fan, Vyleart.  

Post #2 (yours? actual?) is in there with Panamarenko, which is most excellent.

Any theoretically functional sculptural installations in your future?

On January 7, 2018 at 8:03 AM, ~Stingray~~ said:

DSoY20-XkAEW88d?format=jpg&name=large

Genesis?

Actual?  Where? 

On 1/7/2018 at 10:01 AM, MR.CLEAN said:

Design for the future in Auckland, or just more [above-the-]water vapor?

Screen Shot 2018-01-07 at 10.52.29 AM.png

I like this type of design, much better than the salamander that ETNZ came up with.  Having both foils always down may not be optimal for performance, but it sure would make it much more stable, safer and more likely to stay up on the foils.  The foiling cats opened up pandora's box with the need for foiling speed, but it doesn't have to such a delicate state.  Think back to the days of the 12 meters, no one was concerned with the seaworthiness of the boats.  It was based upon the sailing crew skills, tactics and some minor design tweaks to squeeze out a little more speed.  If they used a boat like this with a stable two foil platform the race would trend back to the skill of the sailors.  You could open up some of the design of the foils, how they are adjusted, the wing, hull designs, etc... so that there is still the element of design choices that a team can make based upon expected wind/water conditions and any optimization that is team specific.  The current state of foiling is getting too dangerous, it is just a matter of time until we have more life's lost.  Using a more stable /safe design is well worth the 5-10 knot top end loss for boats that can travel at 50 knots!  It would be like 12 meters on steroids

On 2/24/2018 at 10:41 PM, Justaquickone said:

Wouldn't happened to of worked on "Altered Carbon ". Have watched the series twice and noticed a resemblance between your art work and many scenes in the series ?

I have found the show to be" Visually Stunning" !

Did not work on altered carbon, but always on the lookout for sci-fi anything (especially visually appealing), will definitely look it up!

13 hours ago, Amati said:

I dig the foiler no-hull aesthetic, so I am, of course, a fan, Vyleart.  

Post #2 (yours? actual?) is in there with Panamarenko, which is most excellent.

Any theoretically functional sculptural installations in your future?

I have always dreamed to design and build a sailing machine. I have built remote controlled landyachts for fun, which is the only thing my current finance and time (kids...) can offer right now. This image is a 3D render I did in a CAD software, If only... My past is as an industrial designer, but naval architect is a whole different ball game for which I have tremendous respect. I actually considered for a while going back to school to get a diploma, but getting too old and my life is now too intertwined with current job. I was getting close to finish a design (for a 6ft monohull, just for the fun of it) and had contacted a builder in California few years back. But life happened and I now live in NC (windsurfing in the OBX).

Now more sculptural as you mention is much more feasible, and I actually never thought about that. Great idea and much more feasible. Thanks for the idea! And I love Panamarenko's work.

1 hour ago, vyleart said:

I have always dreamed to design and build a sailing machine. I have built remote controlled landyachts for fun, which is the only thing my current finance and time (kids...) can offer right now. This image is a 3D render I did in a CAD software, If only... My past is as an industrial designer, but naval architect is a whole different ball game for which I have tremendous respect. I actually considered for a while going back to school to get a diploma, but getting too old and my life is now too intertwined with current job. I was getting close to finish a design (for a 6ft monohull, just for the fun of it) and had contacted a builder in California few years back. But life happened and I now live in NC (windsurfing in the OBX).

Now more sculptural as you mention is much more feasible, and I actually never thought about that. Great idea and much more feasible. Thanks for the idea! And I love Panamarenko's work.

I think you should seriously consider it-  I don't see you needing exotic materials to start with:  balsa, sandpaper, TB1 and mylar with the right paint might work for a start with the OP image (Keeping exposure to nasty chemicals, etc. at a minimum).  There's an artist who's done some aircraft sculpture in SeaTac airport, and another guy (?) who did one at Geiger Field, in Spokane.  Your images are right in there.... (I'll see if I can find some images)  

Sculptural size? 6 feet sounds cool-   

My dad was an artist & architect- it was always cool for my brother and me being around creation.  He used to pay us to do some of his setup- cutting things out, stretching canvas, laying things out, printing out plans, that sort of thing....

Glad you like Panamerenko- he needs more exposure.  That HPV motor glider he did is da bomb...... 

2 hours ago, vyleart said:

I think you should seriously consider it-  I don't see you needing exotic materials to start with:  balsa, sandpaper, TB1 and mylar with the right paint might work for a start with the OP image (Keeping exposure to nasty chemicals, etc. at a minimum).  There's an artist who's done some aircraft sculpture in SeaTac airport, and another guy (?) who did one at Geiger Field, in Spokane.  Your images are right in there.... (I'll see if I can find some images)  

Sculptural size? 6 feet sounds cool, although half model size might be really cool-  

My dad was an artist & architect- it was always cool for my brother and me being around creation.  He used to pay us to do some of his setup- cutting things out, stretching canvas, laying things out, printing out plans, that sort of thing....

Glad you like Panamerenko- he needs more exposure.  That HPV motor glider he did is da bomb...... 

Edit:Found it!

http://bradstory.com/gallery/roscoeatseatac.html

If he can do airplanes, why not you doing boats?  

The AeroToaster (couldn't resist:lol:) scroll down a bit to see pics-

http://stuckattheairport.com/2010/08/24/fresh-flying-art-at-spokane-international-airport/

Image may contain: one or more people, people sitting, table and outdoor