Sign in to follow this  
thevoyage

Monterey to sf bay?

Recommended Posts

Hey all. I just wanted your opinion on how difficult you think it would be at this time of year to sail a 32 foot boat from Monterey to SF Bay. I'd be Looking For Crew and maybe a captain. And how many days should I budget, 3 or 4? I work regular hours...

Feel free to move this to the crew section/ another section if you want. If I buy this boat that I'm looking at then it will be happening ASAP. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, thevoyage said:

Hey all. I just wanted your opinion on how difficult you think it would be at this time of year to sail a 32 foot boat from Monterey to SF Bay. I'd be Looking For Crew and maybe a captain. And how many days should I budget, 3 or 4? I work regular hours...

Feel free to move this to the crew section/ another section if you want. If I buy this boat that I'm looking at then it will be happening ASAP. Thanks

Piece of cake, just watch the weather.  It’s a short trip so the weather window is easy to predict.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you moving the boat?  Or is this supposed to be a nice sailing adventure?

It’s only 80-100 nm depending on where in the Bay you’re headed.  It’s also uphill, usually.  You could motor from Monterey to Sausalito in about 18 hours, maybe less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Whisper said:

Are you moving the boat?  Or is this supposed to be a nice sailing adventure?

It’s only 80-100 nm depending on where in the Bay you’re headed.  It’s also uphill, usually.  You could motor from Monterey to Sausalito in about 18 hours, maybe less.

As much as I'd want to sail, the priority would be to just make it happen.

Are there any viable anchorages in between? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, thevoyage said:

As much as I'd want to sail, the priority would be to just make it happen.

Are there any viable anchorages in between? 

Santa Cruz and Half Moon Bay are OK, unless the surf is up.  If this is a crewed delivery, just wait for settled weather and motor/sail to SF in one shot.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If there a no systems coming through, there's a good chance that it will be glassy smooth and easy motoring. Start out early in the pre-dawn AM and you will be there shortly after nightfall. If you don't want to be on the ocean at night, stop in at Half Moon Bay - easy, plenty of space. No need for crew because you won't be sailing anyway - no wind. Just you, the AP and the sea life. Enjoy.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As others said, one shot or overnight in Half Moon Bay. If there is wind it will be against you unless a storm is coming. In the winter on a calm forecast, probably not much wind. 

If you are unfamiliar with the Golden Gate approaches, beware and stick to the deeper water, even in what appears to be calm conditions. Seem like every year or so, some boat gets rolled over by a so called "sneaker" wave. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DDW said:

If you are unfamiliar with the Golden Gate approaches, beware and stick to the deeper water, even in what appears to be calm conditions. Seem like every year or so, some boat gets rolled over by a so called "sneaker" wave. 

Yes! 

In particular, beware of the "south channel", as you enter the Golden Gate.  This is an area about three miles SW of Pt Lobos (Cliff House) where the charts show deeper water inside the shoal area.  In fact, this "channel" is just one or two feet deeper than the six-fathom line, and it doesn't take much of a swell to get breaking waves there.  Boats and lives are lost there all too often.  Unless it's quite calm, it's better to stay offshore until you arrive at the "R2" buoy that marks the shipping channel entrance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read and reread the Coast Pilot instructions for this section before bringing my boat down the coast and found it quite helpful. Particularly, the bit about avoiding ebb tide with a strong NW swell at the bar. You should keep a copy on board. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2018 at 11:25 AM, thevoyage said:

Hey all. I just wanted your opinion on how difficult you think it would be at this time of year to sail a 32 foot boat from Monterey to SF Bay. I'd be Looking For Crew and maybe a captain. And how many days should I budget, 3 or 4? I work regular hours...

Feel free to move this to the crew section/ another section if you want. If I buy this boat that I'm looking at then it will be happening ASAP. Thanks

All things other things considered, come in on a flood tide, somewhat before noon. . 

e.g. Its about 90 miles, Monterey to Pigeon Pt to SF sea buoy to Blossom Rock near Alcatraz, given a weather window, leave Monterey in afternoon, and motor up overnight

a 2 pm departure at 5 kts SOG puts you mid bay at 0800, with easy divert into Santa Cruz if issues. 

Once you make the gate, you will also want to be allocating time to move the boat within the bay, find your slip and secure in daylight. 

You don't mention if going to San Francisco marina, Alameda, Richmond, Vallejo etc, so can be quite a distance after the gate. Check what the tide is where you are going, for example Raccoon strait can be fierce, and even up the Estuary at Park Street Bridge, it can run a few knots, making entry to a slip exciting if you are alone. 

Realize that the commercial vessels tend to undock at high/low tide and be transiting the channels through the gate before/after that. Make sure your are up on VHF for Vessel Traffic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the winter, the best weather is the day or two after a frontal system passes. A daytime passage is likely to be pleasant. Otherwise I leave around sunset to avoid the NW’ly wind and leftover seas. Pretty simple to miss the flood tide by just slowing down as one nears the bay.

Plenty cab pots out there...daytime helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks a lot for all the tips guys. If I get this boat i think i might want to just do a 2 day sail with half moon as a stop and take off a monday to be safe...point richmond would be the final target but I've anchored in sausalito before so that gives me a few options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this