• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Evil Gnome

Marley Point 2018 50th Anniversary

Just to keep in mind is the Marley Point overnight race this year, Saturday 10th of March should be a good rollup, the two F85's are going from Wangi, see if we can get more Multi's this year, Marley = very challenging but great experience.

come out and play for the special days - you lil tart ...

hope it is a drifter like last couple of years & I'll smack your butts

:lol::P

Knowing my luck it'll blow and you will be tucked up snug in bed by the time we get out the river...

Having not done this race before I'm interested in finding out a little  about Mclellans Strait between Lake Wellington and Lake Victoria.

Has anyone bothered to check the depth   and how much does the water level vary? 

My chart says it is shallower than 1.8metres?

I draw nearly 2metres with dagger board fully down.

Any info would be appreciated.

Haven't done the race in 17 years, but the main issue used to be the entrance into the strait.  We used to pull the keel up 300mm for that area.  At the other end the channel it is nice and deep but its narrow so you'll be short taking if its a head wind.  The trick to doing well in the river is to have the tallest mast in your class and ignore the lower 50% of your sails.

2 hours ago, The Mad Hatter said:

Having not done this race before I'm interested in finding out a little  about Mclellans Strait between Lake Wellington and Lake Victoria.

Has anyone bothered to check the depth   and how much does the water level vary? 

I did it in Indian Chief in 2010 and had no problems through the straight. I do remember Mad Max hitting the bottom near the entrance close to the river bank coming out of Lake Wellington. Maybe pull your board up a third to be sure. On the way to the start from Paynesville i remember tacking all the way through the straight and going pretty close to the banks. Great race , I reckon its more of a cross country style of race. Enjoy.

1 hour ago, Indian Chief said:

I do remember Mad Max hitting the bottom near the entrance close to the river bank coming out of Lake Wellington.

exactly. run a straight line from the last channel marker to the stbd side of the entrance and it gets real shallow.  If you do what most people do. Launch in Painesville the day before, lunch and/or dinner at Loch Sport then continue up stream to the start you can investigate the entrance on the way.

• Like 1

Scarecrow and Indian Chief thanks.

Looking forward to experiencing this iconic race.

BTW:- Indian Chief do you remember the draft of  Indian Chief with the boards down?

Also interested in Mad Max's draft if anyone can advise on that.

Thanks.

10 hours ago, The Mad Hatter said:

I will have a detailed conversation with you over the weekend - last 2 years I have parked ... stories to tell ..

9 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

.  We used to pull the keel up 300mm for that area. 

you bad baby ... tsk tsk

14 hours ago, The Mad Hatter said:

Scarecrow and Indian Chief thanks.

Looking forward to experiencing this iconic race.

BTW:- Indian Chief do you remember the draft of  Indian Chief with the boards down?

Also interested in Mad Max's draft if anyone can advise on that.

Thanks.

Although both cats have the same Mastrome boards, Indian Chief's are a bit longer. We drew 2.0 metres fully down. Mad Max probably 1.8 here's a shot of the two cats boards before mad Max's were painted. Both had Mastrome kick up rudders, although the new owners of MM have changed the rudders to sliding in a case T foils now

mmax2.jpg

1 hour ago, Indian Chief said:

Although both cats have the same Mastrome boards, Indian Chief's are a bit longer. We drew 2.0 metres fully down. Mad Max probably 1.8 here's a shot of the two cats boards before mad Max's were painted. Both had Mastrome kick up rudders, although the new owners of MM have changed the rudders to sliding in a case T foils now

mmax2.jpg

I would like a couple of these if you have spares hanging around

39 minutes ago, catsaler said:

I would like a couple of these if you have spares hanging around

We took moulds which are with a mate up at Tweed heads. PM me if you want his phone number. I have the same shape carbon boards in Top Gun now just blown up a bit as in longer and bigger chord. these shapes are also on the X40 cats

Indian Chief, Thanks for the info and the pic. It's good to see we are talking the same numbers.

My first winter project is float rudders but after that I hope to make another shorter D/B.

I'll remove the taper that it has  and keep the same area.  

It will be more convenient and then I have a spare.

DSCN0366 (2).JPG

16 hours ago, Tornado_ALIVE said:

Hopefully we will have the Corsair 760 at the event :D

mate, do it while you've got the boat there.  You'll love it.  Just make sure you have all the right safety gear etc. because it all gets checked.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2018 at 2:39 PM, The Mad Hatter said:

Indian Chief, Thanks for the info and the pic. It's good to see we are talking the same numbers.

My first winter project is float rudders but after that I hope to make another shorter D/B.

I'll remove the taper that it has  and keep the same area.  

It will be more convenient and then I have a spare.

DSCN0366 (2).JPG

I saw your boat on the shore at Wangi on the weekend. You've done a nice job, love it. Well done.

On 1/29/2018 at 3:22 PM, Indian Chief said:

I saw your boat on the shore at Wangi on the weekend. You've done a nice job, love it. Well done.

Thanks, that means a lot . I've always been a huge admirer of Top Gun.

71 entries so far (compared to 28 this time last year)

including 5 multis ... but no Hatter or Sknotty yet ....

just sayin' - this is going to be good

AND, for those launching at the start - long promised dredging is happening & supposed to be completed by end of month ...

Keith,

Having not done any of these races before  I plan to enter one at a time. HCW  24hr entry is in.   When I finish HCW  and the crew have not mutinied  I will enter Marlay Point.

Once MP is finished I'll enter B2B.

In the mean time I need to do some research on accom for B2B at Hervey Bay.. Any suggestions. 

BTW:-Accom is already booked for MP.

In both of these races the plan is to launch at the finish and sail to the start.

• Like 1

B2b budget accom urangan harbour camp ground very boat friendly and can camp or get on site vans or neat cabins with big space they will let you park boat in. It is owned by boat club so very nice to us. Even when we launch start and a driver takes car trailer to urangan for club bus return they will store the rig cheap.

Otherwise Mantra and others are close and more upmarket.

• Like 1

Looking at the Marley Point entries so far looks like a Farrier/Corsair race.

On 1/25/2018 at 6:06 PM, Tornado_ALIVE said:

Hopefully we will have the Corsair 760 at the event :D

I had a look at it at Cronulla last Friday twilight...  very nice boat and easy to rig... I hope to see more of it

Check out 2009 results Division M

First finish time

Mad Max 22:14:10

Two Tribes 22:14:38

Second finish time

Mad Max 23:28:15

Two Tribes 23:34:52

Elapsed time

Mad Max 3:43:15

Two Tribes 3:49:52

In before midnight, it was the fastest time and it was a magnificent night time sail, three quarter moon spinnaker run for miles and miles.

Marley it can be good be there!

And other times when they call the race off due to too much wind... The only time I have attempted it

Is this actually the 50th race or have they included the years blown away?

I did it probably more than 15 years ago on a mate's F-24, can't remember the exact year but I well remember bugger all wind for most of the course taking something like 12 hours+  to do the full course after becoming becalmed around the back of Raymond Island towards the finish for an eternity together with about 100 others going nowhere. Oddly we found the best way to negotiate the straits was to forget sailing and concentrate on fending the boat off the shores with paddles. Then there was the locals camped on either side, beers in hand at midnight shouting "encouragement". Good fun? Gotta give it a go then judge it.