• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Evil Gnome

Heaven Can Wait charity race 2018

Another to keep in mind is the Heaven Can wait race on Lake Macquarie on the 24-25th of March, another challenging race but a great experience, Evil Gnome will be doing the 12 hour race again, ran the 24 hour race past the crew and there wasn't a great response so the 12 hour it is, navigating your way around Lake Macquarie at night is fantastic. So put it on your to do list it is also for a very good cause the Cancer Council of NSW.

See you there

Evil

• Like 1

EVIL YOU HAVE YOUR DATES WRONG 24th 25th FEBRUARY 2018. I got this a couple of weeks ago.

HEAVEN CAN WAIT 2018                

SUPPORTING THE HUNTER BRANCH OF CANCER COUNCIL NSW

AND MARINE RESCUE LAKE MACQUARIE

ONLY 8 WEEKS TO GO – FEBRUARY 24-25, 2018 - HAVE YOU GOT YOUR ENTRY IN YET?

Hi all previous Heaven Can Wait Charity Sailing Regatta participants.  Yes I know – you are probably only just getting over the Christmas headaches and still have New Year to come, but this won’t take long. Simply go to the 2018 Heaven Can Wait Race Entry web site page and get your boat entered in this unique regatta. Be sure to read the Race Entry Information before completing your entry and please take the option to create an Everydayhero site so that you can start raising money in support of the Hunter Branch of Cancer Council NSW and their Home Help Program. Get the message out to your friend, family and business networks and ask them to support you with your fundraising efforts.

Oh, and a reminder that the more money you raise, the better your handicap will be in the Long One Lap Fundraising Dash – it’s just a simple matter of bribing the handicapper – the more full the brown paper bag, the better the handicap!!!. More information is available on the final Notice Of Race.

So, decide which races you are going to enter – challenge yourself by doing the 12 and / or 24 Hour races – there is nothing lake sailing on the lake at night time where it is relatively safe and the shore and support are close at hand. Now is the time to get your boat and crew organised.

Once again, The HCW Regatta will be a part of Lakefest – a celebration of aquatic activity on Lake Macquarie from Saturday February 17 through Sunday March 4 and details of the Lakefest events are on the Lakefest website – www.lakefest.com.au. There will be lots of activity on the Lake, so why not come up early and participate in some of the other events planned for Lakefest Week.

So, free up your time for this great event – whether it be the Short One Lap Dash, a quick dash around the whole lake with the Long One Lap Dash and the Long One Lap Fundraising Dash, the Challenge of the 12 Hour race or the Endurance event - the 24 Hour Race. Arrive early, explore the many anchorages of the lake and participate in some of the other Lakefest events. We look forward to seeing you on the weekend of February 24-25, 2018.

PS, I expect to have more news in the next bulletin about the Pre-Regatta Charity Fundraising Dinner

www.rmyctoronto.com.au/heaven-can-wait

Regards

Melvyn (Mel) Steiner

Vice Commodore - RMYC Toronto

PO Box 599,  TORONTO  NSW  2283

AUSTRALIA

P (02) 4959 3540 (M) 0417409172

Heaven Can wait is on this weekend, I know because it is 3 days away, should be a pumping day and night if the Seabreeze weather for Newcastle is correct and also looks like breeze all through the night for the brave 24 hour, it's going to be tough, thats over 25 knots at night!

IMG_3318.JPG

Uncle Willy says for Toronto:

image.png.fae1b9a587f159b1c92865a480cac95b.png

And Mr Predict says for4pm (at the max for the day):
image.png.0914d60ea44161f354874b22e0ae0e9e.png

Don't you love pretty piccys ...

should be some darn good rides down the lake ...

Are they masts of capsized boats predicted by Mr Predict?

I hope these are more correct than seabreeze.

Another HCW done and dusted, once again it had nearly everything, the forecast was close but didn't mention the 5 knot westerley that went for the first half a lap, but  a decent line of breeze came in from the Northeast and it was on for young and old. From Wangi on the lap1  and lap 2 and 3 it was brutal, with some gusts not far off 25 in the channel areas so from 12.30 to 8.30 it was blowing, then when the sun set it calmed down so much that after we started our 4th lap we were ghosting along until 11 PM when it was over. The 24 hour boys can tell the story from here as we went to bed after a couple of beers.

Highlights.

Beating all the yachts bar two moths to the top mark upwind in 5-8 knots

Lifting the main hull and sailing on the float many times

All the spinnaker runs

Steering holding together and working( float rudders are the best thing)

Cold beer and hot noodles 

Seeing three sharks and nearly hitting a 5 foot hammerhead

Beautiful sunset and a warm night 

Having 3 good guys on board, Watty, Pete Dubbelaar and Grant Pellew so I could go downstairs after first lap and bludge 

Boat holding together under brutal conditions

Two sail reach from Point Wolstencroft to Raffertys

Downlights

Just before sunset when we were all dry and ready to put our jackets on I called a hot spinnaker layline to Mannering Park, one wave drenched everyone on the whole boat and I thought I was safe in the cockpit but no.

We'll be back next year as it still is a challenging race.

Stats

Max speed 19.4 knots

Distance 91 miles race straight line and 110 miles by GPS 

Average 9 knots for 12 hours

That's the 12 hour maybe someone can fill you in on the 24hour

Evil  

• Like 1

amen brother Short man!

such great fun!

you were consistently smokin' (the few times you were actually not over the horizon from the rest of us mere mortals!!)

Well done Evil and Chidz and Madhatter too, Looked good from where I was, i was heading south at Wangi point as you were heading for Belmont, smoking along on one hull, looked quicker than 19kts to me.  A bloody top day, but that light stuff at the start put us way back ,that and the dickhead in a40ft leadbelly running along the line on port as the whole fleet tried to start on starboard,i left him my traditional starboard float bow signature on him as I tried to go down to minimize the impact,about 10 boats downwind all got tangled as the bare away cascaded, lucky we were not going fast. A 720 degree penalty doesn't seem enough sometimes!

We really enjoyed the whole 24 hrs and probably the second half of the race  more than the first. The balmy light north west breeze during the wee hours kept us warm and comfortable as we glided along. The moon set sometime around 2 am but with the  sky overhead being clear all night it was full of stars. It was great lying on the nets just looking up at the stars as we ghosted along.  The sunrise lit up the horizon with a gorgeous orange glow closing the window on a really pleasant night.   Once the sun was up the breeze increased and swung to the south. Light at first but it eventually came in quite solid. The 24hr time limit expired just as we approached the Wangi mark where we had the trailer and car. Perfect timing for us as it is always a bummer when it expires and you are down the other end of the lake.

They say life is just a collection of experiences and we got our fair share  in the 24 hrs. Breeze from all directions, it didn't swing haphazardly , it just clocked around the compass and ranged  from very light to pretty solid .  There was even lightning way off in the distance but with the sky clear overhead it was of no concern. The only thing we missed was rain, but we didn't really miss the rain.

• Like 1

Congrats to all you guys, that is a great event. Funny it takes a race for us to go sailing at night, some of my most memorable experiences are in that time zone.

21 hours ago, The Mad Hatter said:

The 24hr time limit expired just as we approached the Wangi mark where we had the trailer and car. Perfect timing for us as it is always a bummer when it expires and you are down the other end of the lake.

Bhahaha - you sly bugger!

Our 12 hr expired for the 2nd year in a row right down at Mannering - furthest possible away from Toronto & our trailer!!

Was another great weekend - bring on Marlay!

2 hours ago, Chidz said:

Our 12 hr expired for the 2nd year in a row right down at Mannering - furthest possible away from Toronto & our trailer!!

Do you think there could be a message in there somewhere?

• Like 1

I'm very proud of all you guys who've taken on the HCW, it's always challenging, never boring and as some of you make note, some of the memories will never fade.

I recall one crystal clear night with a warm noreaster over my shoulder and a silver soaked full moon in the heavens, pushing 2am we locked horns with 2 other boats up the Southern side of Pulbar, match racing tack for tack up to Raffertys then onto Belmont......Magic sailing doesn't get any better than that.

Well done Evil and all you merry multi maniacs, the HCW is more the richer for your being there.

Well done and thank you one and all.

Cheers,

HCW.

12 hours ago, The Mad Hatter said:

Do you think there could be a message in there somewhere?

Phil - message? naaa ... I'm too dopey to get it ...

btw - Gnome & I are entered for Marlay ... I notice your name is not there yet ....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Mad Hatter said:

I just finished sending off my entry for MPONR 2 mins ago.

:ph34r::D

Ok I now have my race number for the MPONR so I'm in.

I just check the web site and my count makes it 65 + 87 + 11+10 = 173 so far.

At this stage there will be around 108 boats on our start line. I hope it's a long line.

On 3/1/2018 at 2:46 PM, The Mad Hatter said:

Ok I now have my race number for the MPONR so I'm in.

I just check the web site and my count makes it 65 + 87 + 11+10 = 173 so far.

At this stage there will be around 108 boats on our start line. I hope it's a long line.

well done young man

now up to 200+

and the start lines are normally huge ... have seen 2 different wind systems at either end before - don't expect any different this time.