Sign in to follow this  
hyewonhye

Mutihull a mono?

Have a good deal available on a Bruce Roberts 36 in steel. What would cutting the dead weight, adding amas?

To what end? It's a steel boat-you're starting with dead weight in the hull. To make use of the amas, you probably need a larger sail plan. I would either buy to sail as is or evaluate a proper multihull if that is what you are after.

Not as much heeling, more deck space and a preferred arrangement of interior space. And yes making use of the amas and dropping the ballast etc....

Dont do it - its not a good idea. 

A boat that may have some value as it is - will cost more money but loose all its value.

Thanks for the input! This is a bare hull, I am a very very new sailor. Maybe it's my motorcycle back round that has me challenging this new form of transportation. I understand that I do not understand the dynamics of boats at all, other than my general curiosity of engineering period. 

It's a bad idea - you'll end up with something worse than either a mono or a normal multi.  But if you do do it, take lots of pictures and share so we can see how it goes.

And also - from bare hull to sailaway - its incredible much work and money - so if you want to sail - buy a used boat that fits your budget - you can get nice boats for very cheap money almost everywhere... 

If you have custom motorcycle background, then you'll know full well that there are thousands of good motorcycles turned into shit bikes because of someone who thought they knew all the ins-and-outs to chassis design.  If you don't know what you don't know then you're one of them.

For boats it's a little worse, mistakes put you at the bottom of the sea - not just give you road rash.

30 minutes ago, tom312 said:

For boats it's a little worse, mistakes put you at the bottom of the sea - not just give you road rash.

I rather flip my tri than take one on the bike....

When I helped neophytes try to finish boats i would point out that the finished hull represents about 30% of the cost of the boat   Generally you should buy a complete boat owned by a neurotic whose health has failed.  Good luck to you.

No, just no. Unless you get the ok from Roberts and a full

Set of modifications plans for steel amas and akas and vaka or is that

The centerhull? Some one did something like thAt to a J24? Years ago,

But I don't suggest it...