• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
samc99us

Harken GP Blocks

So Harken has a new set of blocks on the market: http://www.harken.com/productdetail.aspx?id=47404

They were first spotted at N17 Europeans but demo sets have been around for longer. Top A-Cat sailors have been using them as well: 21273045_1179570335520824_60529277664716

So, my question is, does Harken plan to release these in a quad block setup rather than the 6x6 setup? 12:1 purchase is overkill for many situations IMO, and paying 3x what a standard 10:1 mainsheet costs only to re-reeve the 12:1 down to 10:1 seems ludicrous to me.

The other question is, does Harken have any plans to carry these blocks into other product lines? Word on the street is they are much lower friction than anything else out there.

I have no idea about the block supply, but I do have a question about how come catamarans seem to need a billion to one mainsheet when  a keel boat with a similar size main has like 4:1 or 5:1... does anyone know why the need for the extra purchase? Thanks! and sorry about the threadjack, it's just something I've always wondered about...

I have not called Harken directly, that is on my to do list (they are usually rather responsive). Was hoping someone here had some insight/feedback from the design team.

Overdraft, a big reason is we don't use vangs for leech control. Second reason is our apparent wind speed is in the neighborhood of 3x that of keelboats with similar sized mains, hence ~9x the force.

I understand the need and the interest... but my first reaction when I clocked on the link was... Wow that's expensive! And it looks huge and clumsy. 

Martin,

Its cleaner than their stock 12:1 mainsheet systems: https://www.murrays.com/product/28-121/

I spoke with the lead engineer over at Harken on this project, the design brief was to develop the ultimate N17 mainsheet system, where there are a lot of smaller female crews doing the brunt of the work (and the loads are higher than pretty much anything out there because of the foiling). They aren't expecting to sell a lot, and right now they don't have any 8:1 or 10:1 systems in the works.

Also, I believe the block setup shown above isn't a Harken product.