Hi everyone, 

I recently took ownership of a G&S 30 named Slingshot. Some of you may know it as a sister ship to “Zoo 2” (I think).

Anyhow the boat experienced an unscheduled rapid disassembly of the mast shortly after trading paint with another boat during a Thursday night race in south haven Michigan. The mast was broken in two places and does not appear to be salvageable with much confidence. So begins my search for a similar sized rig, or taller. I have heard that a Santana 35 rig may be close or even a Melges 32 rig if I am feeling sporty. Of course budget is a consideration here.

I wanted to see if anyone has heard of some salvage boats wasting space or spare rigs making wives unhappy as they kill the appearance of a manicured backyard. If so I may be able to help relieve some angst by giving your orphaned mast a second chance on the big blue. Or feel free to offer some insight on what mast I should try to track down. Thank you in advanced for your help. 

P.S. this is my first SA posting

When you find a likely fit, Bock Marine in NC has a bunch of ophaned rigs. Must be thousands around the country.

J-29 MH or S2-9.1 might be close. Shock WL-30?  Soverel  30 or 33?

Unfamiliar with Zoo 2.  Is this a Maxi-MORC (i.e. masthead rig)?  Double or triple spreader?  Santana 35 and Melges 32 are fracs as is Sov 33 (although more 15/16, so may be usable)

1 minute ago, sailingbeme said:

I'm thinking this is this a half ton with a frac rig?

I was kinda thinking the same thing, although I associate the name Zoo more with MORC than IOR.

Pics, and rig dimensions from your PHRF cert would help folks look in the right direction....

5 hours ago, lautenan said:

Hi everyone, 

I recently took ownership of a G&S 30 named Slingshot. Some of you may know it as a sister ship to “Zoo 2” (I think).

Anyhow the boat experienced an unscheduled rapid disassembly of the mast shortly after trading paint with another boat during a Thursday night race in south haven Michigan. The mast was broken in two places and does not appear to be salvageable with much confidence. So begins my search for a similar sized rig, or taller. I have heard that a Santana 35 rig may be close or even a Melges 32 rig if I am feeling sporty. Of course budget is a consideration here.

I wanted to see if anyone has heard of some salvage boats wasting space or spare rigs making wives unhappy as they kill the appearance of a manicured backyard. If so I may be able to help relieve some angst by giving your orphaned mast a second chance on the big blue. Or feel free to offer some insight on what mast I should try to track down. Thank you in advanced for your help. 

P.S. this is my first SA posting

For a masthead MORC type with double spreader rig you will want the Kenyon 4060 Section http://www.rigrite.com/Spars/Kenyon_Spars/kenyon.php#MORC Sections

This was to go to mast for these boats, used on the J29MH, S29.1, Santana 30/30, Capri 30, Capo 30, Pinnacle 29, and many others.  Also on the Soverel 33 IIRC.  All of these boats had an I dimension of 39 to 42 feet, as should your boat.

Anything bigger than this is going to be too big/stiff/heavy.  You can go to the next section down, the 3656, if you go triple spreader and add a stiffener to the nose.

Pm sent!

Zoo2 was a 1990ish G&S MORC design.  If I recall correctly, I think it won the Internationals in Duluth that year...

The boat's been in Toronto for many years, typical MORC maxi 30 rig for that era - masthead, small foretriangle, triple spreaders, and checkstays.

Cheers!

5a560c465f628_zoo21.JPG.65eb63afeaec815de3402a42c2a9e132.JPG5a560c4f4d03d_zoo23.JPG.ee8bfa41cdeb68ee3000c5f80d46ded7.JPG

Good lookin' boat!  Most maxi MORC designs of that time had vertical transoms IIRC.

17 hours ago, Crash said:

95 MORC International Championship lists Zoo 2 placing 3rd in Level 30

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1995-08-27/sports/1995239190_1_morc-chesapeake-bay-annapolis

Interesting bit about boat design from that article, discussing John White, who won MORC that year. 

"White initially modified his family's old Chance Offshore One-Design with a new keel and rudder a few years back, and successfully campaigned it on the Chesapeake under the moniker Second Chance, racking up plenty of honors before the family sold the boat. White undertook a new campaign with a B-25, with which he and his team won their class Key West Race Week in January, before he repurchased the Second Chance.

With MORC racing specifically in mind, White lopped off three feet from the boat's stern and rehung the rudder, and made some other, less dramatic changes along the way. The boat, officially unnamed for this regatta, has been very strong in local MORC competition this year and now has proved White's experiment a success with its performance against some of North America's top MORC contenders."

I believe that the old transom from Second Chance hangs in John's marina office, and that this version of a boat with no name (John's boats rarely have names) is still being raced, by somebody else, in the Annapolis area. 

HOLD THE PHONE!

Google "G&S 30 Slingshot" and some old Lake Michigan race results show up - Slingshot's sail number's 16976 and her PHRF's 159.  That sounds more like the 1980ish 1/2 ton IOR design (the first of three G&S 30s originally owned by the Sissons named Zoo was this style).  Several were built in epoxy wood at Shea, Berwick, and other WEST shops, there's one for sale at http://www.sailingtexas.com/sgs30100.html.

I even found a pic of the original Zoo:

Zoo.jpg.4148fd58eef8d3e85967e1770ecdbb72.jpg

So lautenan, is this what your boat looks like?  I seem to recall the extreme frac rigs on these IOR boats were seriously noodly and technical with multiple spreaders, jumpers, runners, and checks - finding a suitable replacement may not be simple...

Cheers!

Hey guys,

wow! Thank you so much for the awesome responses! 

The boat oat was originally setup with a masthead rig. @CriticalPath that is the Zoo that I was thinking of! However the rig on Slingshot was pretty rudimentary. This one did not have any of the fancy goodies like jumpers, check stays or runners....I guess good news now that I am looking for a replacement!? Anyhow I am hoping to nail down a pretty simple  setup. I will be making a few phone calls this afternoon, per everyone’s suggestions and hopefully I can scare up an applicable mast. I will keep you all posted on what I hear. Thanks again for all of the guidance!

side note: anyone familiar with Dux rigging for standing rigging?

Know of a complete Soverel 33 rig new in 2007.  PM me if interested ...