• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Webb Chiles buys a Condo. Better than buying the farm I guess. I do hope he gets to finish this 6th? Circumnavigation as planned in 2019 he's so close!

Saw that.  After the Indian Ocean, what difference does it make whether he goes through The Canal or not.  

2 hours ago, southerncross said:

Saw that.  After the Indian Ocean, what difference does it make whether he goes through The Canal or not.  

Wants to complete his lap. Started in San Diego from memory. 

4 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Wants to complete his lap. Started in San Diego from memory. 

It was San Diego. Just saying he doesn’t need to do the Canal to prove he did a lap.  A Moore in the Indian Ocean is plenty.

He's probably still bearing mental scars from Chidiock Tichborne not quite making it all the way.

• Like 1

For a guy that does things his own way it must be hard to have to listen to a homeowners association.

• Like 2

He probably thinks WE are the ones without a Clue. Spends 1/2 the year on his boat away from his wife. Has got new wives when necessary  :-) 

Upgrading wives is expensive and time consuming.  If Wife 2.0 doesn't work out, I'm deleting the app and will just run Girlfriend 1.8. The upgrades are cheaper, simpler and the EULA isn't nearly as restricting.

• Like 3

On 1/10/2018 at 5:47 AM, Blue Crab said:

Webb

[redacted]

(Couldn't put them in the same paragraph.)

FIFY.  They don't belong in the same thread.

4 hours ago, Ajax said:

Upgrading wives is expensive and time consuming.  If Wife 2.0 doesn't work out, I'm deleting the app and will just run Girlfriend 1.8. The upgrades are cheaper, simpler and the EULA isn't nearly as restricting.

There's always Mistress 1.0.  It's in beta - always is, and seems to be vaporware for most users who claim to be in the test user group - but I understand it's got a lot of the same utility as Wife 2.0 and Girlfriend 1.8, but only around 20% of the resource demands, with much lower long term overhead and maintenance, and an easy to use back door for an ambitious developer.  Users say it is tons of fun, in small doses, but the app destabilizes over time and you may have to re-install different versions every so often.  But I wouldn't know, haven't tried it, I'm afraid of the bugs reported by some earlier users.

If you do go that way, consider running it in some sort of remote virtual machine sandbox, like NextTownOver2.4, or maybe loading the ultra-secure encrypted darknet version of Mistress, SomeOtherDudesWife1.0.  I recommend against running any version of Mistress simultaneously with any version of Wife in the same environment.  Despite outlandish claims to the contrary, very few people have gotten that arrangement to work properly.  It may start okay but the system loses stability pretty quickly.  Simultaneous use of both apps in the same environment also tends to result in Wife versioning problems, sudden crashes, and a host operating system that is restricted to RightHand 5.0. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lex Teredo said:

There's always Mistress 1.0.  It's in beta - always is, and seems to be vaporware for most users who claim to be in the test user group - but I understand it's got a lot of the same utility as Wife 2.0 and Girlfriend 1.8, but only around 20% of the resource demands, with much lower long term overhead and maintenance, and an easy to use back door for an ambitious developer.  Users say it is tons of fun, in small doses, but the app destabilizes over time and you may have to re-install different versions every so often.  But I wouldn't know, haven't tried it, I'm afraid of the bugs reported by some earlier users.

If you do go that way, consider running it in some sort of remote virtual machine sandbox, like NextTownOver2.4, or maybe loading the ultra-secure encrypted darknet version of Mistress, SomeOtherDudesWife1.0.  I recommend against running any version of Mistress simultaneously with any version of Wife in the same environment.  Despite outlandish claims to the contrary, very few people have gotten that arrangement to work properly.  It may start okay but the system loses stability pretty quickly.  Simultaneous use of both apps in the same environment also tends to result in Wife versioning problems, sudden crashes, and a host operating system that is restricted to RightHand 5.0. 

Very good! Did you do that just for us?

• Like 1

2nd wife shopping is a lot like buying a new car. You want something that puts out more, consumes less & doesn't depreciate as much.

• Like 1

I know Webb has had a few wives, but I am pretty sure he's been married to this one 25 years if I recall. From the few photos he's posted, she's successful, cute and from what he says, a keeper. They seem to enjoy their time together, and apart from what I read on his blog.

Speaking of wives, I am trying to talk Mrs. Bitches into sailing up to St. Michaels next fall when he is scheduled to speak. It is a two day trip for us each way in the 4KSB. It pales in comparison.

8 hours ago, Mr. Ed said:

Very good! Did you do that just for us?

"I've been running the same version of DrinkingBuddies 1.0 forever as my primary application, and all the GirlFriend releases I've tried have always conflicted with it. "

I think he is paraphrasing but it's been out there for a long time.

6 hours ago, S/V Eva said:

"I've been running the same version of DrinkingBuddies 1.0 forever as my primary application, and all the GirlFriend releases I've tried have always conflicted with it. "

I think he is paraphrasing but it's been out there for a long time.

Just riffing on a theme. I've seen similar stuff.  I did make a significant error though.  Wife 1.0 runs just fine with Mistress 1.0 with minimal unwanted cross-scripting, but only in certain French proprietary operating systems.

12 hours ago, Hike, Bitches! said:

I know Webb has had a few wives, but I am pretty sure he's been married to this one 25 years if I recall. From the few photos he's posted, she's successful, cute and from what he says, a keeper. They seem to enjoy their time together, and apart from what I read on his blog.

Speaking of wives, I am trying to talk Mrs. Bitches into sailing up to St. Michaels next fall when he is scheduled to speak. It is a two day trip for us each way in the 4KSB. It pales in comparison.

One of the main reasons I went to a longer boat from the Catalina 27 was that the trip to Solomons took 11-12 hours, more if sailing or motoring in rough stuff.  It's now down to 7-9 hours on a slick 35 footer, depending on weather, with a much smoother inboard.  On a 95 degree day with no wind and those stupid 5 mile long clusters of flies, that's a huge difference, a lot less mentally exhausting and the boat is a much happier place.    Been thinking about St. Mike's as a weekend trip myself if it's not up against the OD racing schedule. 

Just curious - where would you overnight on the way up to St. Mikes?

• Like 1

Pffft..."longer boat."  You went from a C-27 to a J/35!  That's not like upgrading to an Endeavour or other heavy cruiser.

I agree though. Even a modest upgrade from 30 to 33 foot cruiser really helped. If I needed an overnight stop from Solomon's to St. Mikes, I'd stop in Dun Cove. In the morning, I'd cut through Knapp's Narrows (if it's been sufficiently dredged.)

• Like 1

You funny.  But even though [multiple paragraphs waxing poetic about the virtues of the J/35, boring to anybody other than a J/35 owner], going a little faster is a huge benefit if you're trying to pack four days of fun into three or stretch a day sail to nowhere into an overnight to a nice local destination.  2:20 /mile faster and infinitely faster downwind is a Godsend.  J/ hits on that in their marketing materials but other folks have figured it out - some of the mid-30's C&C's, the Shock 35, Frers 38 and similar ~10 - 11meter racey cruisers get out of their own way nicely.  As does the Catalina 42, which isn't mid-30's, but it is heavy, reasonably priced and both raced and cruised a lot in our neighborhood.  The cost increase for feeding and housing the beast starts to get a little stupid after 30 feet total length though.  If I were a real man, I'd just get a Moore 24, trailer sail and be done with it. 

FWIW, Knapps Narrows is a place that I can only drive to now.    If the proper federal budget gets passed, there's supposed to be money in it for dredging the Narrows and a bunch of other critical spots on the Bay.  Suspect that because the Fed Gov is on Continuing Resolution that it isn't going to be done for a while, possibly not this year. 

5 hours ago, Lex Teredo said:

One of the main reasons I went to a longer boat from the Catalina 27 was that the trip to Solomons took 11-12 hours, more if sailing or motoring in rough stuff.  It's now down to 7-9 hours on a slick 35 footer, depending on weather, with a much smoother inboard.  On a 95 degree day with no wind and those stupid 5 mile long clusters of flies, that's a huge difference, a lot less mentally exhausting and the boat is a much happier place.    Been thinking about St. Mike's as a weekend trip myself if it's not up against the OD racing schedule. 

Just curious - where would you overnight on the way up to St. Mikes?

Solomons to St. Mike’s is doable in one day with an early start and anchoring in the Wye on arrival to avoid the late day follies in front of the museum. After breakfast, motor into town after the overnighters have departed and before the Western Shore crowd arrives.  Reserve a slip and go all the way into town if that’s your preference.  

Or go the Back Door route in San Domingo Creek off the Choptank. Anchor when the water gets thin and dinghy to the shore. 

• Like 1