Sign in to follow this  
Happy

Why the tie?

Ties are the most stupid item of clothing ever invented. 

To most guys they are the noose of servitude and conformity. Then there are the idiots who believe that a "power tie" makes them bigger. Of course, in a fight they are great for steering your head into a punch or a wall or just choking the living shit out of you.

One of the proudest achievements in my 65 years of life is that I spent a total of 2 years 4 months in employment that required wearing a tie, and haven't worn one since 1976.

Wigs (sic)?  Surely, some of those must be Tories. :lol:

Seriously, those things look rather like the toilet's wrap- around foot  mat.  And no, I don't wear ties except for funerals (maybe) and weddings. I dress for them pretty much alike, as the result of each upon free will are similar.

a tie tells people that you are a white collar type at work .

good or bad...thats just the way it is.

ive got a tie...somewhere in my closest...honest, I saw it last year

Found them !  ...whole snakes nest full of ties hiding in that locker

Mr..   "Shorty" Trimmingham  would give ties to Bermuda Race crew.  

I guess so we had something proper to wear at the yacht club after the race.

next time i go to the yacht club in Hamilton I must remember to wear one of my trust ties !! 

And Be careful with ties and beer...those ties always seem to find thier way into your beer glass.....

IMG_7790.png

19 minutes ago, slug zitski said:

next time i go to the yacht club in Hamilton I must remember to wear one of my trust ties !! 

And Be careful with ties and beer...those ties always seem to find thier way into your beer glass.....

IMG_7790.png

I did '82 SORC with Shorty, on Flirt of Paget. Great bloke, but he was tight when it came to shouts at the bar.  He never gave me a tie, but he did let me drive a lot, downwind with the kite up; I could hang on to, and surf a wave longer than the other guys...   Good times!!

Yah...ties can be mighty handy in places like bermuda

same with  extra motorcycle helmuts 

remember picking up some chick and putting them on the back of our motorbikes .....but since we didnt have  any extra helmuts we fit plastic buckets on there heads

cops got us.......cant use plastic buckets

always get some extra helmuts 

32 minutes ago, slug zitski said:

IMG_7790.png

nice nav setup!!

what boat Slug?

after more than 25 years of using ties on almost every workday, i've got rid of the nuisance a couple of years ago - much happier now!

i still used them for weddings, graduations and funerals, tho.

Haven't worn or owned one since I graduated from Bally Boys mid 70's...they really don't go well with Reyn Spooners...

"Before Hobie went into the surfboard business, he developed three rules that would become the basis for the way he approached his lifetime of work and would be the framework for “The Beach Lifestyle.” We won’t wear hard leather shoes, no jobs that require a suit and tie, and never work east of Pacific Coast Highway."...

2011_hall_of_famers.jpg

1 hour ago, sailforbeer said:

nice nav setup!!

what boat Slug?

Jongert 50 something footer, for sale asking 900k +/-.  It's linked in a thread here somewhere.  Really sweet boat!!

Women generally like guys in ties.

Maybe it's the leash effect they can get.

I worked in a Carnaby-focused menswear store during university, about 1969; that was my only job that required a tie. I last wore a tie at my wedding, coming up to 25 years ago. I still have that tie somewhere. I hate ties.

Okay, I'll try, since I do wear them about half of the time, for work.

You get treated better at stores, on planes, and just generally.  

Warmer in winter, I can't carry off the hipster top-button buttoned look

Handy eyeglasses cleaner

They cover up stains along the button-line of your shirt

They make good tourniquets if someone's bleeding out??

6 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

I worked in a Carnaby-focused menswear store during university, about 1969; that was my only job that required a tie. I last wore a tie at my wedding, coming up to 25 years ago. I still have that tie somewhere. I hate ties.

Is it realley juste the tie?  You our ore seeme verrey angrey on thise topice.  Juste sayeng.                    

• Like 1

Button down shirts and ties are making a comeback... I just hope that are not the gaudy ties from the late 70's and 80's

• Like 1

The fire service went through this nationwide odd "executive identity crisis" (my term) a number of years ago. Senior staff and executives ditched uniforms in favor of the "professional" look of suits and ties. I hated it. Even middle management in the field (which I was at the beginning of the trend) had to wear a black tie on the white uniform shirt unless the temp was over 80 degrees. When I reached the executive level, I called my senior staff together and told them to wear their uniforms. "Stop looking like a bunch of Ad Exec's or Lawyers. You're firefighters, look like one." Civilian staff should wear slacks and collared shirts. Ditch the suits and ties except when formality called for it (funerals, award ceremonies etc). With many smiles of relief the uniforms came back. The only exception I allowed was Fridays..............Fridays were "Aloha Days". On Fridays, Spooners were the uniform of the day unless a formal occasion required Tommy. :lol: Now that I'm retired I do have 1 suit and two ties in case of.......I don't know what. In case.

Ties.....bah. Same people that invented jockey briefs and bras.

1 hour ago, Snaggletooth said:

Is it realley juste the tie?  You our ore seeme verrey angrey on thise topice.  Juste sayeng.                    

It may have something to do with the wretched cold I have been dragging around since Boxing Day. I'm hoping it's not going to go pneumonia on me.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Ties.....bah. Same people that invented jockey briefs and bras.

What we regard as a "suit & tie" was essentially invented by Beau Brummel - to simplify mens clothing. :D

I haven't worn a tie for 15 or so years, basically when I became an IT guy, but my wife works in a business that requires suits etc.  Just thank whoever you believe in that you are not a chick.  Man the shit she goes through to get an outfit together is mind boggling.  We got it easy guys, shirt, tie done.  Now sox, that was something that I had a bit of a challenge with.  Do you match the belt, tie or what??  :)   

Belt, tie & shoes should match.

Preferably white.

Women in business suits & heels are hot.

• Like 1

When my dad retired he was so happy that he'd never have to wear a tie again. At his funeral before delivering my eulogy, I explained how he hate neckties and how he wouldn't want to force anyone else to wear one. At that I removed my tie and invited all the other gentlemen present to remove theirs. All his buddies came up to me afterward and expressed how much they loved it. 

I can't tell you the last time I had a business meeting with someone in a tie who wasn't a banker or an attorney. Everyone else seems to have abandoned them. Good riddance. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nolatom said:

Okay, I'll try, since I do wear them about half of the time, for work.

You get treated better at stores, on planes, and just generally.  

Warmer in winter, I can't carry off the hipster top-button buttoned look

Handy eyeglasses cleaner

They cover up stains along the button-line of your shirt

They make good tourniquets if someone's bleeding out??

And they're great when you can't find the fur-lined handcuffs!

6 hours ago, Grabbler said:

"Before Hobie went into the surfboard business, he developed three rules that would become the basis for the way he approached his lifetime of work and would be the framework for “The Beach Lifestyle.” We won’t wear hard leather shoes, no jobs that require a suit and tie, and never work east of Pacific Coast Highway."...

2011_hall_of_famers.jpg

That is quite an impressive group! Look how old Hobie looks...............sail on Hobie.

BTW - his first board shop was ON PCH.......so he was close! 

Just now, Cal20sailor said:

And they're great when you can't find the fur-lined handcuffs!

Even better is when a woman grabs a fistful of it and pulls.

5 minutes ago, shaggy said:

I haven't worn a tie for 15 or so years, basically when I became an IT guy, but my wife works in a business that requires suits etc.  Just thank whoever you believe in that you are not a chick.  Man the shit she goes through to get an outfit together is mind boggling.  We got it easy guys, shirt, tie done.  Now sox, that was something that I had a bit of a challenge with.  Do you match the belt, tie or what??  :)   

Socks should match the shoes or trousers. Traditionally it should be the trousers so they sorta look like an extension of the trouser and do not detract from the trousers or the shoes who are the stars..............of course todays fashions do not match that theory..........

6 hours ago, Grabbler said:

2011_hall_of_famers.jpg

What is that pic all about?  I recognize Dennis Conner, Ted Hood, and Ted Turner, but nobody else.......

6 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

What is that pic all about?  I recognize Dennis Conner, Ted Hood, and Ted Turner, but nobody else.......

Oh man....Cayard, Melges, Jobson, North......I think Hood is dead now so that was some time ago.

1 hour ago, shaggy said:

you match the shoes or the pants.;)

1 hour ago, Point Break said:

Socks should match the shoes or trousers. Traditionally it should be the trousers so they sorta look like an extension of the trouser and do not detract from the trousers or the shoes who are the stars..............of course todays fashions do not match that theory..........

^^^this

2 hours ago, Point Break said:

Oh man....Cayard, Melges, Jobson, North......I think Hood is dead now so that was some time ago.

Okay, I see Cayard now, but not Jobbo or North? And I sailed on Don Greens Evergreen, in the Pas A Grille race, in '82 SORC, when Lowell was Navigator or Tactician, don't recall which?   And Gary brought some bimbos ladies aboard the Maxi boat I was running, in St. Pete, a year or two later, and I had to ask them remove their stilettos boat unfriendly shoes. <_<B)

27 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Okay, I see Cayard now, but not Jobbo or North? And I sailed on Don Greens Evergreen, in the Pas A Grille race, in '82 SORC, when Lowell was Navigator or Tactician, don't recall which?   And Gary brought some bimbos ladies aboard the Maxi boat I was running, in St. Pete, a year or two later, and I had to ask them remove their stilettos boat unfriendly shoes. <_<B)

:lol:

Got nothin but Jerry Garcia ties in the closet after 6.5 years of wearing one every day. Haven't had a hair cut since I stopped wearing them.

Ties were originally military dress. Supposedly Croat mercenaries wore them and the French kings liked the look. 

Why do do lawyers wear ties?

to keep their foreskins from covering their heads

Just now, burndoc said:

Ties were originally military dress. Supposedly Croat mercenaries wore them and the French kings liked the look. 

Why do do lawyers wear ties?

to keep their foreskins from covering their heads

:lol:

1 hour ago, billy backstay said:

Isn't that Jobson standing behind Hobie? And North in the last row with the glasses?

I have four ties in my closet.

I wore each once.

I can't remember the last time.

Each time felt like this......

486967950.jpg

24 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Isn't that Jobson standing behind Hobie? And North in the last row with the glasses?

Okay, I recognize Jobbo now, but I had to look at Google images to confirm that is North.  He was never cleaned up and smiling, when we sailed on Evergreen, but that's him, I reckon. Those were some good times!  Brendan Dobroth was involved and Dirty Ernie, and Wayne and I had to reinforce the trampoline cockpit floor, with glassed in aluminum tubing, to make it less bouncy.  And Timmy Twintubes Stearns who was dating Greens daughter Sharon, the Photog, had two full time guys, with a van full of hydro cylinders, and 55 gallon drums of hydro oil, because the 14 cylinders on the 45 footer were wont to fail and leak.  Even had a hydraulic outhaul cylinder inside the boom!! Sheer madness!!!  One time Dobroth and I were at a Strip Club, driving Ernies X-cop car Ford Police Special, when we had to make a quick getaway, but that's another story for another day....!! LOL  I have since heard that Brendan is a born again Christian Minister somewhere?????

4 hours ago, billy backstay said:

2011 US National Sailing Hall of Fame induction...Pops is the only guy not wearing a tie...I tried to stay on topic...:)

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Okay, I recognize Jobbo now, but I had to look at Google images to confirm that is North.  He was never cleaned up and smiling, when we sailed on Evergreen, but that's him, I reckon. Those were some good times!  Brendan Dobroth was involved and Dirty Ernie, and Wayne and I had to reinforce the trampoline cockpit floor, with glassed in aluminum tubing, to make it less bouncy.  And Timmy Twintubes Stearns who was dating Greens daughter Sharon, the Photog, had two full time guys, with a van full of hydro cylinders, and 55 gallon drums of hydro oil, because the 14 cylinders on the 45 footer were wont to fail and leak.  Even had a hydraulic outhaul cylinder inside the boom!! Sheer madness!!!  One time Dobroth and I were at a Strip Club, driving Ernies X-cop car Ford Police Special, when we had to make a quick getaway, but that's another story for another day....!! LOL  I have since heard that Brendan is a born again Christian Minister somewhere?????

I am still not sure about North........it kinda looks like him to me........I had seen a recent picture of Jobson so that one as easy pull.

9 minutes ago, Grabbler said:

2011 US National Sailing Hall of Fame induction...Pops is the only guy not wearing a tie...I tried to stay on topic...:)

Any names with the picture? You know, left to right kinda thing?

6 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Any names with the picture? You know, left to right kinda thing?

://www.nshof.org/hall-of-fame/class-of-2011-extended.html

This was the inaugural class...match the names to the pic...pretty sure you'll have trouble spotting Nathanuel Herreschoff in the group...

13 hours ago, slug zitski said:

IMG_7790.png

Hey, I did the '84 Bermuda race! Retched, upwind slog that it was...

Last time I wore a tie 'professionally' was way back at the beginning of the dotcom boom. Had a silicon valley tech CIO pull me aside after a meeting and tell me: "if you and your team ever show up in suits and ties again, I'm going to cut off all your ties!" 

12 minutes ago, Grabbler said:

This was the inaugural class...match the names to the pic...pretty sure you'll have trouble spotting Nathanuel Herreschoff in the group...

I took a look, thanks. Did not know there was such a thing. BTW - Didn’t see Josh Slocum either! :D 

5 hours ago, Point Break said:

Stand-in for Olin Stephens on the left, front.  Betsy Allison on the right. Wonder who the young red-headed kid is?  Another stand-in?  All the others are stand-ins or "dignitaries".

Even though the wind has got his taped-together power tie flying, the Idiot-in-chief's hair is firmly glued down.

I think he uses WEST System epoxy on his head.

Apperance also has a cultural factor.  

If you are limited and operate inside your own bubble , buisness etiquette  or personal etiquite becomes less important  

8 hours ago, LB 15 said:

donald-trump-scotch-tape-tie.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&w=1600

OK, now that is funny.  Fucking tape, The president of the USA is using scotch tape to hold his tie together.  That is so ambulance chasing Lawyer.  Gotta get that pic to Colbert.  :D

16 hours ago, Guitar said:

Got nothin but Jerry Garcia ties in the closet after 6.5 years of wearing one every day. Haven't had a hair cut since I stopped wearing them.

I have one of those,  it's nice.. 

worked at JCpenneys in the 80's,  shirt, tie, jacket...   then jcp started touting the casual work attire in their ads..   we asked if that was the trend, why are we wearing this shit..  someone got the hint and the dress was forever changed.

guys just be glad, we don't live in earlier times,  codpiece etc..

seinfeldpuffyshirt.gif

On 1/10/2018 at 12:26 PM, billy backstay said:

The Walrus 

Image result for the walrus was paul

Malin's "The Man"

When I was a Radio Shack store manager in the 80's, we had to wear a tie and they were assholes about it.  I showed up a manager's meeting at 7:30 in the morning and 30 miles away from home.  I walked in without wearing it.  The district manager gave me  dirty look and told me to go put it on.

And the fuckin' boss didn't even bring donuts.

On 1/10/2018 at 1:02 AM, Happy said:

Ties are the most stupid item of clothing ever invented. 

To most guys they are the noose of servitude and conformity. Then there are the idiots who believe that a "power tie" makes them bigger. Of course, in a fight they are great for steering your head into a punch or a wall or just choking the living shit out of you.

One of the proudest achievements in my 65 years of life is that I spent a total of 2 years 4 months in employment that required wearing a tie, and haven't worn one since 1976.

Congrats on telling everyone how dreadfully suburban you are.

On 1/10/2018 at 6:53 AM, slug zitski said:

IMG_7790.png

Ties in Beer.

Another white collar crime

Blue collars don’t get caught up in a beer can

On 1/10/2018 at 8:18 PM, Grabbler said:

Ol’ Nat looks just like his grandson, Hallsey, who was there to accept his gandfsther’s award..

I had a fun time as a kid running Ted and Gary around in a Boston Whaler at our club in ‘78 at the Toms River Yacht Club. 

Check out badass Hobie sitting there! He was the coolest one in the bunch-every time!!!

I don't  like wearties or tight clothing around my neck in general.  Sometimes it is required though.  

I liked the trend in the 90's that did away with ties completely to bad it didn't catch on.  

Now afays you don't need a tie for most jobs, though Hutton down shirts and slacks do get more temporary respect than without

in the 70's I had a couple tie ..... sticks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peragrin said:

I don't  like wearties or tight clothing around my neck in general.  Sometimes it is required though.  

I liked the trend in the 90's that did away with ties completely to bad it didn't catch on.  

Now afays you don't need a tie for most jobs, though Button down shirts and slacks do get more temporary respect than without

Dress for the job you want, not the one you have now!

A wise marketing manager I worked with in a previous white-collar career pointed out one day as we were preparing for a business meeting with a bunch of old government farts in suits "Look at us now, we used to dress up to meet young women, now we dress up to meet old men".  Ditched that career in '94 after 13 years, don't miss it.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2018 at 11:18 AM, SloopJonB said:

Women generally like guys in ties.

Maybe it's the leash effect they can get.

They'll leash you easier without the tie, because the leash they use is made of something else. The Italians say that a single.pussy hair is stronger than a bull.

Some of us wear ties because it's part of our uniform. Like a soldier or a hockey player or a chef, we wear a uniform because it allows us to do what we do efficiently by recognizing teammates and competitors quickly.

Now we work in a time and place where the ties are increasingly optional. I find that the workplace is now a far more stressful place than it used to be, might be the lack of ties, might be that I actually need the job now.

I'll say this ... back when I worked for the Brits at an investment bank in NYC, the end of the day was the Dawn of Man. We loosened our ties, drank a lot of rye, ate swordfish, did blow, and got hit on my attractive broads. It was worth suffering through the mind-numbing boredom of the day to get those caveman nights. The loosened tie was the only thing that kept us anchored from falling right into the Paleolithic.

On 1/10/2018 at 5:28 PM, madohe said:

I have four ties in my closet.

I wore each once.

I can't remember the last time.

Each time felt like this......

486967950.jpg

It's essentially the same knot! Just fewer turns.

6 hours ago, mikewof said:

They'll leash you easier without the tie, because the leash they use is made of something else. The Italians say that a single.pussy hair is stronger than a bull.

Some of us wear ties because it's part of our uniform. Like a soldier or a hockey player or a chef, we wear a uniform because it allows us to do what we do efficiently by recognizing teammates and competitors quickly.

Now we work in a time and place where the ties are increasingly optional. I find that the workplace is now a far more stressful place than it used to be, might be the lack of ties, might be that I actually need the job now.

I'll say this ... back when I worked for the Brits at an investment bank in NYC, the end of the day was the Dawn of Man. We loosened our ties, drank a lot of rye, ate swordfish, did blow, and got hit on my attractive broads. It was worth suffering through the mind-numbing boredom of the day to get those caveman nights. The loosened tie was the only thing that kept us anchored from falling right into the Paleolithic.

I totally understand this!!!  When I graduated from being a rigger, and part-time crew, to BN on a 65' Class A, IOR race boat, my dating opportunities expanded exponentially! LOL!! :D

3 hours ago, billy backstay said:
9 hours ago, mikewof said:

I totally understand this!!!  When I graduated from being a rigger, and part-time crew, to BN on a 65' Class A, IOR race boat, my dating opportunities expanded exponentially! LOL!! :D

Really, sounds like a sad commentary on the state of the human race.

Hopefully we will get to a place where we are  not ready to take advantage of each other.

Of fuck, I just woke up...............where da women?

When I was doing legal work in jails the guards advised tucking our ties into our shirts as it was not unknown for the inmates to grab an attorney's tie and tie it to the bars so he (or she) could get better shots at your face if they were displeased with the services or outcomes.  Only had to tell me once.

Only wear one for weddings, funerals and passport pictures for the last 25 years.  Didn't wear one for my wedding.  Shoes either.

1 hour ago, Nettles said:

When I was doing legal work in jails the guards advised tucking our ties into our shirts as it was not unknown for the inmates to grab an attorney's tie and tie it to the bars so he (or she) could get better shots at your face if they were displeased with the services or outcomes.  Only had to tell me once.

Only wear one for weddings, funerals and passport pictures for the last 25 years.  Didn't wear one for my wedding.  Shoes either.

How much force could one exert Yankin on a tie ???

image.jpeg.ad4c75cfe2faa2afc05970fe4bb5027d.jpeg

On 1/10/2018 at 6:54 AM, Grabbler said:

2011_hall_of_famers.jpg

Do uou have a little legend for that photo? That guy in the second row from the top, at the far right, is that Bill Hamner?

Why was Hobie in a wheelchair?

Who are the women?

14 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Why was Hobie in a wheelchair?

Who are the women?

Hobie died of cancer and was progressively plagued by associated health problems in the last years of his life. Died in 2014. Don’t know who the women are.

• Like 1

back in the 80s I was a program manage in a fortune 50 multinational.  We all wore ties.

Developed this kick as real time distributed stockroom control system everyone and their brother wanted a peak at.

Would do the demo in my pilot site in Canada so they could see it in action.  Used to take 2 days to walk them through it, and then discuss how they wanted to use it.

At the end of day 1, i would take the corporate stiffs out for dinner and drinks along with a stockroom manager or 2 from Canada.

After dinner we would hit a nice strip joint where I would excuse myself to use the head.

In fact I would line up and pay a couple strippers who would come over in about 15 minutes.

They would set up their little boxes to dance on next to our "guests" and start stripping as the main show was going on the stage.

Just before the end of the song they would grinding right in front of the guy's faces,  then quickly pull their arm between their thighs, grab their tie and start buffing themselves on the dude's tie.

The guests never knew what hit them.

Next day they would show up in the office with that same stained tie because it was the only one they brought.

Nobody said a word, but my Canadian boys were in on my joke and loved it every time I pulled it off.

Those dudes would do anything for me for pulling stunts like that.

Moral: When traveling, always carry a couple spares just in case you stain your tie..

On 1/10/2018 at 2:17 PM, SloopJonB said:

Belt, tie & shoes should match.

oh you're that guy....LOL 

BTW totally agree about women in suits and heels. 

when I got my first job in engineering, I went out and improved my wardrobe from biker machinist to office guy. 

first day there one of the young engineers walked over and said "just so you know your shoes and belt should match. I honestly had no idea about that at the time. the shoes I was wearing had literally been purchased on my way to the interview for the job. LOL 

I turned down a job offer because the job would have required me to wear a tie to work every day. nope not happening. 

When I started on a trading floor in Chicago 36 years ago the dress code was collared shirt, tie, dress pants and shoes. Now it's t-shirts and blue jeans (shorts in the summer with a "donation".

When I started at IBM in '72 men had only very recently been allowed to wear coloured shirts with their suits & ties.

Prior to then it was white shirts only.

In my previous in life in advertising  I wore a tie to work every day. For the past 25 years in the sailing industry I have gone to work every day in a t-shirt and shorts.

Enjoyed both careers very much. The tie has nothing to do with it. 

I wore the tie of submission through 12 years of Parochial Catholic education.

That was it

Not sure why there is such a big deal about ties....get a few custom tailored shirts from Bangkok, a couple of suits too.  Wearing a suit and tie is then about as comfortable as wearing pajamas, and the girls like it........

an un-acquired taste I must say, but for those of you who rock it ................. well whatever

Image result for bad suit and tie

Related image

Verses 

Ready

?

Image result for cleavage

On 1/13/2018 at 10:52 AM, billy backstay said:

Dress for the job you want, not the one you have now!

I tried that once. Ended up sitting in HR dressed as Batman. 

• Like 2

well I ws s Forced to wear a White Shirt and Tie for a Limo run

So if I need to wear a White. shirt  figured I might as well make it a Black Tie event

I just feel the need to Not blend in with the sheep

Hard to find "That" Perfect Black Tie But

So What do you think about my choice. " Outstanding" Yes  ??

and WTF is up with built in suspenders? Just a look or a reason ???

29294.jpeg

I guess me Tie falls under