zzarganas

Homemade small tri

I find this today and i really like it. It's a neat small tri that looks fast and fun to sail and camping. There are 2 videos one of the build and ine of the sailing. Enjoy.

• Like 2

Too much work! Buy a used Pulse 600. Spend your time sailing - not building. Happy Sailing.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, xonk1 said:

Too much work! Buy a used Pulse 600. Spend your time sailing - not building. Happy Sailing.

I think you are being unfair to the builders out there.  Like any craftsman/artist, the joy is in the creation.  It is a different joy than that of mastery over wind and seas. 

• Like 4

Nice boat. Well done, and at a fraction of the price of a Pulse I would think.

7 hours ago, xonk1 said:

O.K. you obviously suffered a brain stroke cause  i can't explain how the hell you could make this idiotic comment.

If one want to build boat - starting with a small project like this makes a lot of sense - that can be done by an amateur in home-facilities.

Building a 30+ft multi is a major job that should be left to pros or semi-pros.

Nice and fun boat that one.

Looking around for simple, economic, homebuilder multihulls - one overlooked designer is Gary Dierking.

He has an especially attractive design, Va'a Motu, that has the option to be built as a double outrigger (trimaran)  -- very nice, great sailing boat (see his videos).

Found at http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/garyd/vaa_motu.html

web3.jpg

That's my boat. I started her way before corsair did the pulse. At the time my options were a Tramp or TT. For around 20% the cost of a pulse I think It was worth it. As for time involved, well the difference between an ordeal and an adventure is only your frame of mind!

• Like 4

hi three bags, have you got any more details/specs or build info on your boat? I think it is tremendous.

It looks like it is shifting along very nicely.

She a Franken-tri made from a nacra 5.8,a cobra cat with a F18  Main sail and cobra jib. No down wind sails yet. The nacra hull was cut down the centre and widened by 150mm at the transom. The halves where canted out slightly. The shear raised by 100mm The cobra hulls (3mm ply)were wrapped in carbon the boards removed and bows modernised. All up she weighs around 250kg. Two fit people can lift her unrigged. Length ended up 5.75m Beam is around 4.4m. Single rudder and board. Sleeps 1adult and child each side. Top speed 20.5 kts in flat water and 25kts, she does about 10 kts in around 14kts of breeze

• Like 3

Three bags you made an excellent work with this boat. Looks fantastic and most of all it gives you the pleasure of creativity. Respect.

the latest video of this awesome litle homemade tri achieving 19 knots and smoking other boats. 

That is cracking. Have you got any video in larger chop and swell? I'm based out of Lymington in the Solent and we get  some sizeable water around here.

I'm looking at something similar and wonder how it would cope in the non-flat water.

Love it.

She looked great in the Bay to Bay last weekend and as the handicapper, I will be watching her carefully with added downwind sails and all the bugs ironed out. We get many OAK frankens and this one is way above that. 

Congrats 3bags, you get the tick, and prove that it can be done on a budget. Look forward to seeing you next year.

HUGE fan of the Hobie Tandem Island. No it probably won't sail as fast as that tri (I hit 9kts on one last Summer and others hit low teens with spinny/reacher kit). However it will do this that that one can't do.

Human powered auxiliary by mirage drives and/or kayak paddle.

Easy furling sail. This is a such a big benefit.

Sit back and relax for hours...I describe it as sailing in a lazyboy.

Pop up rudder and dagger board easy for beaching and skinniest water you can find.

Trailerable AND insurable.

Think driving it to Baja, then back home, next trip BC/San Juan, next The Keys.

I swear I'm not a dealer or spokesperson or with one for sale. It's just that cool of a trimaran. And btw, makes for a sweet big boat cruising tender.... it's fun sailing to the mothership with 100lbs of provisions lashed to the tramps and yak deck sailing 7 kts and then pedalling, soke much needed cardio when cruising, once the wind dies with no drama that can come with an outboard.

23 hours ago, zzarganas said:

the latest video of this awesome litle homemade tri achieving 19 knots and smoking other boats. 

From my experience she is not doing 19 kt here, need to provide a GPS record !

2 hours ago, patzefran said:

From my experience she is not doing 19 kt here, need to provide a GPS record !

His GPS record probably recorded his max speed at 19.  The video clip does look like he's moving pretty quick, so I wouldn't be so quick to discount the claim.  Look at the length of the wake on the dark sail'd tri he's passing at the end, that wake shows mid to upper teen speed.  But I do (like you) prefer a GPS track posted somewhere in a movie. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sailorcherry said:

HUGE fan of the Hobie Tandem Island. No it probably won't sail as fast as that tri (I hit 9kts on one last Summer and others hit low teens with spinny/reacher kit). However it will do this that that one can't do.

Human powered auxiliary by mirage drives and/or kayak paddle.

Easy furling sail. This is a such a big benefit.

Sit back and relax for hours...I describe it as sailing in a lazyboy.

Pop up rudder and dagger board easy for beaching and skinniest water you can find.

Trailerable AND insurable.

Think driving it to Baja, then back home, next trip BC/San Juan, next The Keys.

I swear I'm not a dealer or spokesperson or with one for sale. It's just that cool of a trimaran. And btw, makes for a sweet big boat cruising tender.... it's fun sailing to the mothership with 100lbs of provisions lashed to the tramps and yak deck sailing 7 kts and then pedalling, soke much needed cardio when cruising, once the wind dies with no drama that can come with an outboard.

TI is a nice toy.  Can do lots of stuff in a TI.  If you see 12 kts under spin, though, that'd be remarkable.  If you want adrenaline speed, you want something stiffer and less prone to break apart.

Sorry you're wrong. Owners have hit that with the spin. Just as the stock cat rig people have hit 10kts, myself 9, why can't you believe 12 with the spin/reacher sail?

That's the beauty of that design. With its furling main you can really reef it in to just the right amount with no fuss with the chute up. Also, boat trim is easily attained as well with the aft cockpit seat or adding hakas that overhang and connect aft.

Hey, don't mean to rain on your parade.  Everyone is entitled to their delusions.  And I didn't say it couldn't go 12, just said it would be remarkable.  Like "Huh, waddaya know!".  Plastic toys can be fun...grownups use glass.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MultiThom said:

Plastic toys can be fun...grownups use glass.

Holy shit, Is that an original? I'm not saying I agree or disagree, but it could be a bumper-sticker.

... and old salts like hanging on to their woody

1 hour ago, MultiThom said:

Plastic toys can be fun...grownups use glass.

Ha, good one!

35 minutes ago, Russell Brown said:

Holy shit, Is that an original? I'm not saying I agree or disagree, but it could be a bumper-sticker.

Yep, you heard it here first. 

Yep we recorded on navionics a top speed of 18.9kts. Call Bullshit if you like but that's what was recorded. I thought it was a big number and I know that app has its issues. If you look at how fast we leave a hot ostac tramp behind and reel in those fboats I think it's a fair figure.  I have recorded her over 20kts twice before and this did feel as fast. Thanks guys for the positive feed back. Even though we broke the rudder box off and didn't finish we still had a ball! Purple haze was awesome to see in full flight, great effort 2 up in hectic weather! 

tr

7 minutes ago, Three Bags said:

Yep we recorded on navionics a top speed of 18.9kts. Call Bullshit if you like but that's what was recorded. I thought it was a big number and I know that app has its issues. If you look at how fast we leave a hot ostac tramp behind and reel in those fboats I think it's a fair figure.  I have recorded her over 20kts twice before and this did feel as fast. Thanks guys for the positive feed back. Even though we broke the rudder box off and didn't finish we still had a ball! Purple haze was awesome to see in full flight, great effort 2 up in hectic weather! 

3 bags you did a remarcable work. You must be proud of it. I have no doubt that you achieve this speed, but i really don't give a s***t if is 19 or 17 knt. The boat is fast and fun and this is what finally counts.

• Like 2