• Announcements

    • Zapata

      Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

      Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
tbm

Bangin the corners cup 2018

Recommended Posts

Cool show and some great light air boathandling!

It's kinda reassuring to see that even the top guys sometimes miss the tacks though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I'd have been nailing tacks and gybes in those conditions—but not foiling…B)

Huge thanks to Beau Outteridge for the coverage, it shows what stadium sailing can do if setup properly and if participants are prepared to get creative with courses (and the commentator has some idea of what's going on). Has the "Bangin' the Corners Cup" ever been run over the same course configuration twice?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These guys would be love to be doing this more often. Randy and Beau fit it in between real work. But its a very low cost show compared to the Extremes or SuperFoilers. They just need a sponsor to fit out 10 std Mach2s (pelnty of used Mach2s around at bargain prices) with identical gear and sponsors logos. It could all fit inside one 40ft container and ship to multiple venues. Cost would be only a few % of the big boats and with a mixture of stars and local sailors it would make a better show. Go to Bangin the Corners on FB if you want to contact them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Phil S said:

These guys would be love to be doing this more often. Randy and Beau fit it in between real work. But its a very low cost show compared to the Extremes or SuperFoilers. They just need a sponsor to fit out 10 std Mach2s (pelnty of used Mach2s around at bargain prices) with identical gear and sponsors logos. It could all fit inside one 40ft container and ship to multiple venues. Cost would be only a few % of the big boats and with a mixture of stars and local sailors it would make a better show. Go to Bangin the Corners on FB if you want to contact them.

or just buy 10 waszps and keep one design bull out of the moth class, and also help to prevent a perpetuation of the them-and-us pro sailor route the class is in danger of going down, which will in turn kill off the weekend warrior aspect, which was actually what drove the class to be great in the first place!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly love the Banging the Corners Cup like it is, unless Randy has a real aspiration to go commercial on that.

I hope and believe that IMCA will continue to Pay Randy and Beau for their coverage in main events, and hopefully the BTC Cup will establish as a side event in all Worlds. Last weekend I was painting my daggerboard at home, and I put on TV all IMCA Youtube coverage of Garda Worlds. In 1 word it has been AWESOME! Great visual by Beu and Hartas, great storytelling by Randy. Honestly the only upgrade possible would be to go to live commentary, but I guess the production pricing would significantly go up.

Michele

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chris, you obviosly have not seen a fleet of Waszps and Moths in light winds. Punters want action not still life. In the winds they had last saturday all the waszps would be low riding. Might as well use Opis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, chris_w said:

or just buy 10 waszps and keep one design bull out of the moth class, and also help to prevent a perpetuation of the them-and-us pro sailor route the class is in danger of going down, which will in turn kill off the weekend warrior aspect, which was actually what drove the class to be great in the first place!

Using the waszp is a really bad idea. Besides the comments from Phil about light air performance, which is bad enough to kill a series like this, the waszp is to compromised for a world class series of top sailors.

There is nothing wrong with having 10 identical mach 2's for a series like the BTC cup. Go o the worlds and i bet you could pull out 10 Mach 2's that were as good as identical anyway. Having these 10 boats for a separate series would have zero impact on the class.

As for your "them and us" comment, I am not sure how having 10 identical boats for the BTC cup perpetuates this problem. I don't know what world you live in, but there has been a them and us situation in the class for a long time, but that isn't a problem at all. Look at the near full time campaigns of some of the top Moth sailors over the last 10 years, and the money burnt on development. I cannot remember the last time a worlds was won by somebody who hadn't done the equivalent of a full time campaign, but so what. The weekend warriors have always known that there is a huge gulf between them and the front of the fleet, both in terms of skill and equipment but they keep turning up because the boats, racing and people are so good. For many, the ambition is simply to finish races and not get lapped by too many!

The BTC Cup Global Tour would be great and could only help the Moth class. Good luck to Jody and Beau.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Phil S said:

Chris, you obviosly have not seen a fleet of Waszps and Moths in light winds. Punters want action not still life. In the winds they had last saturday all the waszps would be low riding. Might as well use Opis.

fair one, the only time ive been sailing with waszps twice, first time it was very light and non of us were foiling anyway apart from one racing snake with the high lift foils on so hard to compare, 2nd was very gusty and shifty, waszps struggled a fair bit but the sailors were all pretty new to the game so maybe not the best comparison. Are they really that much worse? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Team_GBR said:

As for your "them and us" comment, I am not sure how having 10 identical boats for the BTC cup perpetuates this problem. I don't know what world you live in, but there has been a them and us situation in the class for a long time, but that isn't a problem at all. Look at the near full time campaigns of some of the top Moth sailors over the last 10 years, and the money burnt on development. I cannot remember the last time a worlds was won by somebody who hadn't done the equivalent of a full time campaign, but so what. The weekend warriors have always known that there is a huge gulf between them and the front of the fleet, both in terms of skill and equipment but they keep turning up because the boats, racing and people are so good. For many, the ambition is simply to finish races and not get lapped by too many!

The BTC Cup Global Tour would be great and could only help the Moth class. Good luck to Jody and Beau.

i am thoroughly aware of the them and us thing, nothing screamed it more than 'bronze fleet get in the water, hurry up now' over a tannoy  :lol:

my comment was not related to using one design boats, more the creation of a separate pro-series with a prize money pot, which, and who can blame them, would draw your top talent / pro sailors away from the mainstream events, all but creating a separate class. a large part of the appeal, along with the trickle down of tech and used kit, comes from, as you rightly say, having  these people there to compete on the same course and compare yourself to (even if it is as they lap you..twice), and if they are taken out of the does that lead to a less appealing moth class for your weekend warrior type? How many 49ers club race or do open meetings outside the olympic circuit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chris_w said:

fair one, the only time ive been sailing with waszps twice, first time it was very light and non of us were foiling anyway apart from one racing snake with the high lift foils on so hard to compare, 2nd was very gusty and shifty, waszps struggled a fair bit but the sailors were all pretty new to the game so maybe not the best comparison. Are they really that much worse? 

Yes. They Definitely need a couple more knots that "medium" moth foils. And at least 3 more than high lift foils.

With the rocket big I foil in 6 knots (I'm light). In the waszp I needed probably 9 knots.

Talkng about waszp, I really appreciated what amac is doing with early boats; he's shipping free upgrades to early boat owners for all parts that have been reenginered in the last few months. Very clear communication and sensible initiative. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this