Sign in to follow this  
learningJ24

Dynaform changing tuning numbers?

A friend picked up a 24 with Dynaform standing rigging and was told there is a difference in tuning because of the wire.  True? if so, what is the difference?

Do you mean Dyform / Compacted wire rigging?  I don't know details on the J24, but in general deform is heavier, but stronger and has less stretch than normal 1x19.  Differences in tune would probably depend on whether the wire is sized smaller than the normal 1x19 on a J24 (but equivalent strength/stretch) or if it is same diameter, and hence higher strength / lower stretch.

Depends on how you are determining the tune. if done by what the mast and sail do when sailing then you would tune it the same. if done with a Loos gauge then the reference numbers would be different tbeacuse there is no Loos gauge made for Dyforn wire and you would be using the standard wire gauge.. the wire is stiffer for a given tension so the reference numbers would read higher then standard wire with the standard gauge..

No one on any J24 that I've sailed on or for has ever altered their target Loos gauge numbers to account for 1x19 vs. Dyform wire.  That's 20 years of boats ranging from very average to very competitive, predominantly north and east of Annapolis.

The more typical adjustment is WHEN to use what rig setting, and that varies from boat to boat depending on how old the spar is and how soft the boat is.

Ultimately the tuning guide is your starting point, and most of the top boats will go sailing and make a small adjustment given conditions for that day, plus or minus a full or half turn here or there.  They're looking for balance, relative speed and point, headstay sag, and the uppers and lowers to just go a little soft occasionally, but not be flopping around to leeward.

Go sailing more, worry about what wire you have less.

• Like 1

My 24 has Dyform rigging, and I found that going down one set of numbers from the guide kept me fast.  So if it was blowing 12kts, I would set up to the tuning numbers for 8kts from the tuning guide.  We were in control and had speed.  That was with the PT2 guage as well.  I have heard that those can result in tighter rigs than the model B.

I converted all of the numbers for the model B into the scale that the PT2 used, then tuned as above.  Seemed to work well for us.

CG