nacradriver

I have done some crazy stuff... but

I have to admit I use to have a heavy foot, but never this heavy.  And what is even crazier, who in the hell buys a white Corvette

http://www.thedrive.com/news/17282/181-in-a-75-here-are-the-20-fastest-speeding-tickets-in-texas-in-2017

#20: 139 mph in a 75 mph zone

Road: I-20 in Eastland County
Ride: Red 2007 Suzuki motorcycle

#19: 140 mph in a 65 mph zone

Road: I-10 in Bexar County
Ride: Blue 2008 Honda CBR

#18: 140 mph in a 65 mph zone

Ride: Black 2008 Yamaha motorcycle

#17: 140 mph in a 60 mph zone

Road: SP-601 in El Paso County
Ride: 2015 Aprilia RSV

#16: 140 mph in a 50 mph zone

Road: Custer Road in Collin County
Ride: 2015 Ford Mustang

#15: 143 mph in a 75 mph zone

Road: US-90 in Coryell County
Ride: Black 2013 Kawasaki motorcycle 

#14: 143 mph in an 80 mph zone

Road: TW-130 service road in Williamson County
Ride: Black 2014 BMW i8

#13: 144 mph in a 75 mph zone

Road: US-190 in Coryell County
Ride: Blue 2015 Suzuki motorcycle

#12: 144 mph in a 75 mph zone

Ride: Green 2016 Yamaha motorcycle

#11: 145 mph in a 75 mph zone

Road: SH-6 in Falls County
Ride: Red 2009 Pontiac G8 GT

#10: 146 mph in a 65 mph zone

Road: SH-67 in Johnson County
Ride: White 2017 Chevrolet Corvette

#9: 149 mph in a 75 mph zone

Road: SH-70 in Fisher County
Ride: White 2017 Suzuki GSX

#8: 150 mph in a 70 mph zone

Road: I-35 in Hays County
Ride: Blue 2009 Suzuki GSF

#7: 155 mph in a 75 mph zone

Road: US-81 in Wise County
Ride: Black 2016 Kawasaki 800

#6: 156 mph in a 75 mph zone

Road: I-40 in Carson County
Ride: Red 2016 Chevrolet (no model listed)

#5: 156 mph in a 70 mph zone

Road: SH-195 in Williamson County
Ride: Black 2006 Suzuki GSX

#4: 156 mph in a 70 mph zone

Ride: 2014 Chevrolet SS

#3: 160 mph in a 75 mph zone

Road: SH-44 in Nueces County
Ride: Red 2006 Suzuki motorcycle

#2: 160 mph in a 55 mph zone

Road: I-45 in Galveston County
Ride: Silver 2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8

#1: 181 mph in a 75 mph zone

Ride: Red 2012 Honda CBR1000

A very long time ago, I had a cop tell me "you should know, very bad things happen very quickly at 120 mph". After nodding somberly I was allowed to drive off sans ticket. Whew...............

181..............I cannot imagine...............

Interesting that they are mostly bikes.

Going down US 93 at 130 heading to Bonneville we saw a cop way off coming the other way. Backed off but were still in triple digits when he went by. Just hit that groaner thing they have, not full Christmas time.

I guess they factor in the circumstances when deciding to ticket you - Corvette, empty road, good weather, miles from anywhere - we weren't any sort of danger.

did 130mph in the new volvo (S80)  a few years ago on the NYS thruway  just to see how it handled.....there's a slight shimmer in the rear at that speed  ;-)  the bummer was top speed is supposed to by much higher (150ish)

1 hour ago, Point Break said:

A very long time ago, I had a cop tell me "you should know, very bad things happen very quickly at 120 mph". After nodding somberly I was allowed to drive off sans ticket. Whew...............

Did 240 km/h about 150 MPH on the A8 between Stuttgart and Munich, but this was keeping up with traffic, in a car that was meant to do it, on a road that was designed and maintained for these speeds, but more important, with drivers that understood what the left and far left lane was meant to be used for..

Getting my hands on that same car would I do this on the 405.... never ever ever ever!!!!!  Like I said I have done some crazy stuff but like Clint said....

2 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

Did 240 km/h about 150 MPH on the A8 between Stuttgart and Munich, but this was keeping up with traffic, in a car that was meant to do it, on a road that was designed and maintained for these speeds, but more important, with drivers that understood what the left and far left lane was meant to be used for..

Getting my hands on that same car would I do this on the 405.... never ever ever ever!!!!!  Like I said I have done some crazy stuff but like Clint said....

My 120 moment (which admittedly isn't all that extreme) was on the relatively empty I-5 in the central valley in a car very capable of handling it on an LA to SF run. Still.....it was stupid.....the cop was right, very bad things happen very quickly. 90ish would have been smarter. Besides, the car would happily run all day at 90 without even trying.

1 hour ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

Ok, what service road has an 80mph speed limit..

I live near this toll road and drive it daily. I think I've done 130 on it in my Golf R and the access road is not 80 but the main one is and it turns to 85 just south of Austin to almost San Antonio. The scary part about this road is that it's recently built in the middle of nowhere and wild hogs roam on it especially at night. Many people have died just due to that. Over the holidays a family van hit one and crossed over hitting another family head on killing both drivers and a couple of other people. Hard to believe that the van could even cross all the over since the median is like a minimum of a football field wide and quite deep in places.

I got a warning for 50MPH in a 20MPH zone when I was 16...... In a VW bug....

I have been chastened....

I remember the add campaign California had for awhile at the DMV.

This is a superbike. It goes 0 to 60 in _____ seconds, and tops out at _______ 

This is a California Oak. (Insert pic of huge Ca Black Oak). It stops that superbike in 0.00 seconds. Ride safely.

That always stuck with as I was draggin knee in the twisties. 

9 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

I got a warning for 50MPH in a 20MPH zone when I was 16...... In a VW bug....

I have been chastened....

While in high school my buddy and I did 70 in our employers VW van and took it over an infamous "dip" in a local road to prove it could be done...............and put it on its side. With a little help we rolled it back onto its wheels, drove it back to the business, parked it with the scraped side pointing away from the building, walked in and quit. Never heard back from the employer.

Heh.  there used to be an informal competition for "lowest fine for highest speed".  IIRC, it was won one year by the driver of a Lambo who pulled over and waited for the cops after outrunning the plane that was chasing him.

My own experience - from my young and stupid years (not to be confused with my current stupid years) comes from the back roads of Newport Beach.  My first car was a bright red 72 Trans Am with the 455HO motor and all the decals and scoops and everything else needed to make it a ticket magnet.  Of course standing on the gas pedal didn't help.

After some number of tickets and having uncomfortable conversations with my insurance agent, I decided to sell it.  On a "good" day the TA got about 9 miles to the gallon, and the gas crisis was alive and well, and simple math said I could buy a new honda civic, cover payments plus gas plus insurance for less than I was putting in the TA tank.

Anyway, found a buyer, agreed to meet at his bank the next day to exchange keys for a cashiers check.  Decided I really needed to take it out for "one last run" the night before.

One of my favorite bits of road used to be along the west side of the Back Bay in Newport Beach.  Drop in around Dover, enjoy a couple of miles of flat-and-twisty deserted road with no lights or intersections to worry about, and then pop up a rise onto Irvine Avenue just past 22nd street.  Fun stuff.

So I blasted along the Back Bay, hit the rise... and see one of Newport's Finest (tm) sitting there along the side of the road.  With the window-mount radar thingie pointed straight back along the direction I'd come.

Crap.

Knew I was busted, so... I pulled over behind him and stopped.

He got out of his car, came to my window and asked me if I knew how fast I'd been going...

"ummm... I think I was coming down through 90 when I saw you"

Asked if I knew what the speed limit was...

"ummm... I think it is 35 up here on the surface street, I don't know what it is down there"

He asked why I was going so fast.  I told him.

He said "you know, this isn't just about speeding.  I can write you up for exhibition of speed, reckless and probably a bunch of other things... I *should* take you in on charges and have your car impounded....." ...and then he smiled and said "...but I'm only going to write you for 10 over, because I never even had to start my car.

:P

35 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

50MPH in a 20MPH zone

Now THAT is just stupid.

7 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Now THAT is just stupid.

It was the 1.77 Cal. Co2 powered 357 Magnum replica pellet gun that my friend's little sister had stashed under the driver's seat that really drew his attention..... He never even noticed the half ounce of Jamaican bud on the dashboard.

Shift change in a town of 12,000 in 1977  was a magic time.....

Ha, I did not look at the link before I went through.  Thought 1 guy got all those tix in different vehicles.  Was thinking who in the hell has all these cool rides.  In Texas no less.  :)

WTF does that sign mean?

There's a bull rail across the road?

2 hours ago, nacradriver said:

Sorry but I cry foul on 2 counts.  I have driven 10s of thousands of miles on the Autbahn over the last 18 years.  First, there is no where, no way anywhere in Germany, not even between the 2 famous automotive cities, where 240 kmh is a normal speed.  I used to cruise between 160-180 and I would estimate that speed was maybe 5-10% of all the drivers.  Over 200-210 has to be less than 1 %.  Second, there are plenty of German drivers that don't know the purpose of the left lane.  Just like everywhere in the world, there are self appointed speed monitors that drive in the left lane at a slow speed and just don't care.  And because tailgating and flashing your lights are illegal in Germany, the Polezei will give you a ticket for that sort of thing.  Don't ask.  But I sure as shit didn't see any rear facing camera on that car in fromnt of me.   Also,  because the vehicle on the right always has priority, very often some old motherfucker (anyone older than me)  going maybe 100 kmh will put on their left turn signal and pull right in front of you to pass an even slower truck, nevermind that you are going 160+ kmh.  They have the right of way and they don't give a shit.

Don't forget the 2 rules of the autobahn.  No matter how fast you are going, there is somebody coming up behind you going faster, and the corollary to that, you can't go any faster than the car in front of you.  OK, 3 rules.  The autobahn works great until it doesn't (having sat in many staus [traffic jams] for many hours).   And don't forget there are only 2 seasons in Germany, winter and Baustelle (road work).

1 hour ago, sledracr said:

He said "you know, this isn't just about speeding.  I can write you up for exhibition of speed, reckless and probably a bunch of other things... I *should* take you in on charges and have your car impounded....." ...and then he smiled and said "...but I'm only going to write you for 10 over, because I never even had to start my car.

:P

1974 VW Bus...  I breathed all over the engine punching it out from  1.8L to a 2.2L.. this was the same Type 4 engine that was in the Porsche 914 (or VW Karmen Ghia depending on what side of the pond you were on..)  Had all the go fast goodies on it to include single Weber, larger oil cooler etc...  needles to say this bus had no problem keeping up with the 55 mph national speed limit at the time let alone passing law abiding citizens while going uphill.. 

Driving back from the Bay Area I hit the stretch of road between Salinas and King City...  I was cursing nicely at about 80 - 85....  life was good, sunny cool day, and nice looking set of  34D's in the passenger seat, and heading home after a fun weekend in SFO...  what could go wrong other that the flashing lights behind me...  I didn't even see him which is what really pissed me off... 

After complimenting the office for his stealth abilities and convincing him that this was a VW bus and could barley muster 65 let alone get out of it own way he agreed to write me up at 65. I didn't realize it a the time, but after attending traffic school for that ticket,  he did me a huge favor as the guy teaching the course talked about speeding and how 30 miles over the limit is no longer speeding but reckless driving.

My personal record for stupid was 105 in a 25 zone in an RX-7 coming into Crater Lake National Park from the east on Rte. 138 at the base of a 15-mile loooong, very straight, downhill.  The Park Service cop was just sitting there next to the speed limit sign at the park entrance down in the valley picking everybody off.  Turns out National Parks tickets are only $1/mile over the limit.  And they don't report it, so your insurance never hears of it.  

We were doing maybe 125 before backing off a little.  Even motorhomes were touching 100.  Talk about stupid.

22 minutes ago, soak_ed said:

Sorry but I cry foul on 2 counts.  I have driven 10s of thousands of miles on the Autbahn over the last 18 years.  First, there is no where, no way anywhere in Germany, not even between the 2 famous automotive cities, where 240 kmh is a normal speed.  I used to cruise between 160-180 and I would estimate that speed was maybe 5-10% of all the drivers.  Over 200-210 has to be less than 1 %.  Second, there are plenty of German drivers that don't know the purpose of the left lane.  Just like everywhere in the world, there are self appointed speed monitors that drive in the left lane at a slow speed and just don't care.  And because tailgating and flashing your lights are illegal in Germany, the Polezei will give you a ticket for that sort of thing.  Don't ask.  But I sure as shit didn't see any rear facing camera on that car in fromnt of me.   Also,  because the vehicle on the right always has priority, very often some old motherfucker (anyone older than me)  going maybe 100 kmh will put on their left turn signal and pull right in front of you to pass an even slower truck, nevermind that you are going 160+ kmh.  They have the right of way and they don't give a shit.

Don't forget the 2 rules of the autobahn.  No matter how fast you are going, there is somebody coming up behind you going faster, and the corollary to that, you can't go any faster than the car in front of you.  OK, 3 rules.  The autobahn works great until it doesn't (having sat in many staus [traffic jams] for many hours).   And don't forget there are only 2 seasons in Germany, winter and Baustelle (road work).

Cry foul all you want..  I know how fast I was going..  not every day you get your hands on a REAL BMW, not the crap they ship over here.    And yes if you get a little east of Ulm... it is a frigging raceway.. As it is on the 95 south of Munich...  Again, this is not something I would do over here...  that is just frigging crazy

Time to pop the Bruce Stinkstien CD out and put in some driving music..  try Matellica...  may work better that that little blue pill your use to using.. B)

Just now, nacradriver said:

Cry foul all you want..  I know how fast I was going..  not every day you get your hands on a REAL BMW, not the crap they ship over here.    And yes if you get a little east of Ulm... it is a frigging raceway.. As it is on the 95 south of Munich...

Time to pop the Bruce Stinkstien CD out and put in some driving music..  try Matellica...  may work better that that little blue pill your use to using.. B)

I don't care how fast you were going, I know that there weren't a lot of other cars going around that speed.   If you have been on either of those autobahns on a regular basis you would know that they are heavily travelled and with the traffic, especially all of the trucks, going any more than 130 kmh is difficult.  The same is true for all of the autobahns. When I first arrived in 1999, generally, outside of the buig urban areas, or Friday afternoon, it was pretty easy to speed along.  As the years went on the amount of truck traffic increases dramatically every year.  If the highway has ony two lanes each direction, the trucks permanently clog the right lane, leaving everyone else one lane. 

The other thing is more and more stretches of autobahn have speed limits.  Right now only 52% of the autobahn has no speed limit and for the first time ever, a slim majority of Germans favor a speed limit of 150 kmh. (which is 20 kmh faster than the limit in most other countries).  My go fast days are over and I wouldn't mind a speed limit on the autobahn.  It is much less stressful to cruise aong with most everyone else around 130 kmh than to go 160-200 kmh and always be ready for some idiot to pull in front of you or some other sudden reason to slam on the brakes.  The greater the speed disparity on the highway, the better chance for big trouble.

All BMWs are pieces of shit.  As for the drivers, we all know the difference between a BMW and a cactus.

3 hours ago, DaveK said:

I live near this toll road and drive it daily. I think I've done 130 on it in my Golf R and the access road is not 80 but the main one is and it turns to 85 just south of Austin to almost San Antonio. The scary part about this road is that it's recently built in the middle of nowhere and wild hogs roam on it especially at night. Many people have died just due to that. Over the holidays a family van hit one and crossed over hitting another family head on killing both drivers and a couple of other people. Hard to believe that the van could even cross all the over since the median is like a minimum of a football field wide and quite deep in places.

on the way SanAnton went through town instead, both ways..  the signs always indicated it was faster to stay on 35..  made it down in about 4 hours..  that used to be how long it took to get to georgetown.   it's nice they got rid of that 55 crap..

my highspeed experience was on 1984 Magna 750 , riding with friends on backroads of Ok. , looked down and was doing 120..  a wtf moment.. slowed down to 80, it was like I was standing still.. 

When living in Long Beach, the wife and I took a lunch drive to Monterey. Held 135 on I5 for about 3 minutes in her Z3 on the way home. Rode beautiful.

Friend’s real, live, original I think it was a 1971 certainly a 426 Hemi Barracuda. 160 mph so the speedo said, but at those speeds they ain’t that accurate. Country back road cause we didn’t want to go to jail and that speed would have landed us there. Fuck that was fast, and it didn’t take long from the dead stop. Ah, to be young n dumb again...

18 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

wow corvair, 150mph..

Ralph Nader's 83!  Are you trying to kill him?

Just a screenshot, I guess they were doing 130 with a helicopter spotting them. Edit to add it’s not particularly newsy news 2016

1227229F-904A-45C0-9F59-52C8C0ADC785.png

I got busted for doing 15 mph in my dinghy on Block Island last year :ph34r:

17 minutes ago, dacapo said:

Pulled over on my bike (bicycle) in Key West

58 minutes ago, Owen said:

Just a screenshot, I guess they were doing 130 with a helicopter spotting them. Edit to add it’s not particularly newsy news 2016

1227229F-904A-45C0-9F59-52C8C0ADC785.png

What record?

Dan Gurney did it in 37 hours in a Ferrari Daytona 45 years ago.

His passenger took a great pic of the dash out in the desert somewhere - both the tach & speedo were wound almost to the end - 7500 RPM and 173 MPH.

On 70's street tires. :o

100 in a 35, on east Warren in Detroit. Driving a 1972 Coupe DeVille. When I slowed down to turn the oil light came on. That put an end to that stupidity. 

41 minutes ago, dacapo said:

Dude....the only ticket I got was a ticket from the harbor patrol for being on the water in the harbor after dark without a light. It wasn't after dark, it was twilight and I was hustling back to my slip. I'd have been back before dark if he hadn't "pulled me over". Guy was a dick.

26 minutes ago, footlong said:

doh.jpg.885ded242fa9e51896fcd499af1901ed.jpg

Been just shy of 150 on two motorcycles. 1976 r100rs and a mid 80’s Honda v65 Honda  Sabre.  Had my 94 impala ss just shy of 150 and had my fiero gt topped out 120.    All on Florida back roads 

Portland to San Francisco, I-5 many hours north of Sacramento I did 135mph in my '14 A6 3.0T, several times when literally you could see for miles straight ahead that no one was around.

Clearly it hit the speed governor... she had more in her!

Recently acquired a Porsche and joined the local Porsche car club. We did a 5 day trip around Tassie and one of the sections in the remote far west was built a few years ago over an old railway line and hence the road had beautiful flowing curves that followed the old line, ey was built to a very high standard with federal money. See https://goo.gl/maps/eXxRY5PoKG22

Being one of our first outings with the club we very surprised to learn that this group of older gentlemen weren't too concerned with speed limits. In a convoy of 15 cars we averaged 185 Km/hr (114 mph) over this stretch - hate to think what the highest speed was as I didn't take my eyes off the road. One of the members was also a policeman and knew that there wouldn't be any patrols on this section - we didn't see another car the whole stretch. That was an experience!

Had a modified early 912 with a published top speed of 115. It was twitchy up to 75 and very stable at 125. Fastest I’ve seen on 4 wheels was 145 test driving a 911S on a Texas Farm to Market Road. Smooth, straight and flat enough to know you were alone. 

I worked on film sets and drove people around, so we had rentals. I got a steady 130 mph out of a '74 Chevelle SS on the highway, and topped 100 on the gravel grid roads. I was having a great run and came over a rise and came across two fire trucks in the middle of the road coming right at me. Holy shit.

4 hours ago, Guitar said:

When living in Long Beach, the wife and I took a lunch drive to Monterey. Held 135 on I5 for about 3 minutes in her Z3 on the way home. Rode beautiful.

No way to talk about your wife mate.

9 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Interesting that they are mostly bikes.

Going down US 93 at 130 heading to Bonneville we saw a cop way off coming the other way. Backed off but were still in triple digits when he went by. Just hit that groaner thing they have, not full Christmas time.

I guess they factor in the circumstances when deciding to ticket you - Corvette, empty road, good weather, miles from anywhere - we weren't any sort of danger.

Which Kawasaki 800 goes 150 ish mph(#7). I am thinking V twin vulcan????

On an only-semi-related tangent.... the most expensive ticket I ever got?  Also Newport Beach, but had nothing to do with cars.

Was walking my dogs along the beachfront.  NB ordinance said dogs have to be on the sidewalk, and on a leash.  No problem.  But.... apparently the fine print said the leash can be no more than 6 feet long.  I'd made my own leashes (nice bright-orange samson braid), and they turned out to be slightly over 6 feet long.  Like, a half inch over.  The fucker actually measured them.

$175 fine.  Times two, 'cuz both leashes were "non-compliant".

going fast on a public road?...meh.

going fast on a dirt road in baja in a class 1 car heading to the south end of a lakebed at well over 110mph straight into a silt bed 6 feet deep? in a kick ass rally? for 1300 miles?

now that's fun!

12 hours ago, nacradriver said:

I have to admit I use to have a heavy foot, but never this heavy.  And what is even crazier, who in the hell buys a white Corvette

http://www.thedrive.com/news/17282/181-in-a-75-here-are-the-20-fastest-speeding-tickets-in-texas-in-2017

#20: 139 mph in a 75 mph zone

Road: I-20 in Eastland County
Ride: Red 2007 Suzuki motorcycle

#19: 140 mph in a 65 mph zone

Ride: Blue 2008 Honda CBR

#18: 140 mph in a 65 mph zone

Ride: Black 2008 Yamaha motorcycle

#17: 140 mph in a 60 mph zone

Road: SP-601 in El Paso County
Ride: 2015 Aprilia RSV

#16: 140 mph in a 50 mph zone

Road: Custer Road in Collin County
Ride: 2015 Ford Mustang

#15: 143 mph in a 75 mph zone

Ride: Black 2013 Kawasaki motorcycle 

#13: 144 mph in a 75 mph zone

Ride: Blue 2015 Suzuki motorcycle

#12: 144 mph in a 75 mph zone

Ride: Green 2016 Yamaha motorcycle

#11: 145 mph in a 75 mph zone

Road: SH-6 in Falls County
Ride: Red 2009 Pontiac G8 GT

#10: 146 mph in a 65 mph zone

Road: SH-67 in Johnson County
Ride: White 2017 Chevrolet Corvette

#9: 149 mph in a 75 mph zone

Road: SH-70 in Fisher County
Ride: White 2017 Suzuki GSX

#8: 150 mph in a 70 mph zone

Road: I-35 in Hays County
Ride: Blue 2009 Suzuki GSF

#7: 155 mph in a 75 mph zone

Road: US-81 in Wise County
Ride: Black 2016 Kawasaki 800

#6: 156 mph in a 75 mph zone

Road: I-40 in Carson County
Ride: Red 2016 Chevrolet (no model listed)

#5: 156 mph in a 70 mph zone

Ride: Black 2006 Suzuki GSX

#4: 156 mph in a 70 mph zone

Ride: 2014 Chevrolet SS

#3: 160 mph in a 75 mph zone

Road: SH-44 in Nueces County
Ride: Red 2006 Suzuki motorcycle

#2: 160 mph in a 55 mph zone

Road: I-45 in Galveston County
Ride: Silver 2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8

#1: 181 mph in a 75 mph zone

Ride: Red 2012 Honda CBR1000

About a year ago, I got a ticket for doing 175 in a 60 zone on a secluded mountain road (long straight stretch obviously).  I was racing another Porsche and was so focused I didn't see the camera.  When I went to pay my fines at the end of the year, this one was obviously "locked" where you had to go to the police station in the area (about 3 hours away) and pay it in person.  In addition to the speeding ticket, They confiscate your car unless you pay an additional fine to get it out of jail.  Fortunately, one of my military flight students had a cousin on the local police force.  He said with a grin - give me your ticket and your DL and I'll take care of it.  It still cost me over a $1000 dollars - but I gout out if it with no points and didn't have to go there in person.  Whew!

Slightly over 100 in a first generation RX-7. In heavy rain, on a downhill curve on the highway at about 20 years old.

I still remember the back end starting to slide around...and tasting copper in my mouth as adrenaline flooded my system and I gently eased off the gas and steered out of the skid.

And that's the thing right there.  Anybody can mash down on the gas pedal and go fast.  Just about any car made today will go 100 mph (minimum) no problem.  It is knowing how to drive at correctly those speeds and live to tell about it that is important.  To have any reasonable expectation of driving at high speeds well, takes a lot of practice.  At 130 mph, you have very little time to react to anything.  The other thing is that while any modern car is capable of going 100+ mph, not that many of them have brakes that are designed to safely and quickly slow you down at those speeds.  Pressing the gas pedal is the easiest part of driving fast.

save it for the track where everyone is supposed to be going the same way .

10 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

old or new harbor?

new   Great Salt Pond

140 MPH in a buddies’ brand new 1968 Buick Rivera (actually his mom’s car) on a just-opened short section of I-79 between Pittsburgh and Erie PA. SL was 60 IIRC.  Risk of a ticket was low as PASP weren’t patrolling that road much yet as very few cars were using it.  I had just turned 18.

7 hours ago, soak_ed said:

And that's the thing right there.  Anybody can mash down on the gas pedal and go fast.  Just about any car made today will go 100 mph (minimum) no problem.  It is knowing how to drive at correctly those speeds and live to tell about it that is important.  To have any reasonable expectation of driving at high speeds well, takes a lot of practice.  At 130 mph, you have very little time to react to anything.  The other thing is that while any modern car is capable of going 100+ mph, not that many of them have brakes that are designed to safely and quickly slow you down at those speeds.  Pressing the gas pedal is the easiest part of driving fast.

Well thats exactly the point isn't it? We all have the male gene that says to us "well of course you can drive very fast skillfully". Why we believe that little voice when we have absolutely no training and very little experience is beyond understanding. Couple that with surviving it once which seems to reinforce that notion...."See, I can do it. Nothing happened." Off we go. Wisdom in the cops words....very bad things happen very fast at those speeds.

Glad I lived through my testosterone induced driving invulnerability. 

Closest call I ever had was at 20 MPH in a VW Beetle on a dirt road - unexpected hairpin had me on 2 wheels. That was before seatbelts so it would have been bad.

Closest one at speed was at 100 in an E-Type. Cruising fast at daybreak on an empty highway when off in the distance I saw a magpie eating some roadkill on the white line. It started to lift off but only got a couple of feet in the air before we were on it - it rode the wind currents up over the roof and missed the windshield by inches.

120 in my XK8.   Oohhh it was nice.   But you quickly realize...no matter how straight the road, how dry the conditions, how desolate the road.  There are always the animals.  Desolation usually means more animals. 

When asked if he ever got scared while driving his race cars Juan Fangio replied,

No, I only get scared on the public roads where everyone thinks that they are Juan Fangio 

200 kmh On the Autobahn from crazy Ludwig's Castle to Rothenburg in a Mercedes 1.6 L turbo wagon rental. My wife got a little Jiggy at 200 kmh so I rolled it back to 190 and cruised for quite some time. Cup of coffee in one hand and wife obliviously texting in the front seat. 

51 minutes ago, Dorado said:

When asked if he ever got scared while driving his race cars Juan Fangio replied,

No, I only get scared on the public roads where everyone thinks that they are Juan Fangio 

200 kmh On the Autobahn from crazy Ludwig's Castle to Rothenburg in a Mercedes 1.6 L turbo wagon rental. My wife got a little Jiggy at 200 kmh so I rolled it back to 190 and cruised for quite some time. Cup of coffee in one hand and wife obliviously texting in the front seat. 

After my 120 conversation with the police officer as we pulled away, Mrs PB who understood the maladies that are a result of testosterone and who was always gentle in her suggestions for “course adjustment”, looked at me intently and calmly said “in contrast to your usual good judgement, that may be the stupidest thing I’ve ever seen you do.”

I had to admit........

6 minutes ago, HuronBouy said:

Scary is 110 mph on old vibrating 50's HD shovel head 

How'd you get one to that speed?

Steep hill?

And by the way, Shovels didn't appear until the mid 60's - did you mean Pan Head?

Sorry you are right it was a  pan head (my brother's) hard tail with seat on a piston for "suspension".  Must have been down hill or speedometer was f'd

Sort of like this one 

image.jpeg.e3e9ebc2a78bf9c32cb558db2be93198.jpeg

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 1:05 PM, Point Break said:

Used to live in Germany in the early 90's, had a big Yamaha FZR 1000, lightly breathed on (muffler, jets), that would touch no shit 180 on a good day.  I was used to the Autobahn and found 100-120 to be a very comfortable cruising speed, normal fast lane stuff.  Above that the perception of speed gets a little urgent - things seem to come at you twice as fast, for each 10 MPH you add to the speed over 120.  Over 140 is when it starts to go just nuts and things come at you way too fast.  Can't imagine how the guys race the big bikes like MotoGP and back then, Superbike and F1... the mental side of dealing with all that shit flying at you in an instant had to be intense.

One Sunday morning at around 7:00 AM - best time to go way fast - I was hustling back from Vienna to Wuerzburg with my nutty girlfriend on the back.  We were rolling around 160-165 toward Nuernberg, fast but comfortable under the conditions.   A big AMG Mercedes was keeping up with us, sometimes passing, sometimes we'd pass him.  Not racing, just having fun stretching the legs of a couple amazing machines on an empty road.  As he was passing me on the left, we were rapidly coming up on a truck that was just starting on a half mile long on-ramp at maybe 30 kph, which decided to suddenly swerve left quite a ways before the merge point, occupying the right lane and part of the on-ramp.  I had to act fast and as I couldn't go right down the on-ramp, I split the lane between the truck and the Merc.  The Merc driver pulled a little to the left to let me through but at ~160 MPH or so, it was hairy, seemed like an inch or two to spare on each side.  

I slowed it down to 145-150 after that as did the Merc.  We caught up at the next rest stop 30 or so miles up the road and had a chat and coffee... Stupid truck drivers!  Both of us could have been wrecked right there.  Never went that fast with a passenger again, although I didn't mind soloing with the throttle pegged.  I'm old now, probably wouldn't be comfortable breaking 150 or 160 now.  And the nutty girl married me and now works pit when we race the sailboat.   She strongly prefers downhill legs in a big wind. 

1 hour ago, HuronBouy said:

Sorry you are right it was a  pan head (my brother's) hard tail with seat on a piston for "suspension".  Must have been down hill or speedometer was f'd

Sort of like this one 

image.jpeg.e3e9ebc2a78bf9c32cb558db2be93198.jpeg

Those made some of the best looking choppers once about 250 Lbs of crap had been peeled off them. :D

used to try and set personal speed records on on the I-10 bridge over mobile bay late at night. indicated speed between 120 and 130 was my best in a MR2. I do not have the stones to get over 80 on a motorcycle still have nightmares of hitting unexpected grate bridge decks at speed on a bike.

17 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Those made some of the best looking choppers once about 250 Lbs of crap had been peeled off them. :D

He is sort of a nut in keeping things stock so the 250 lbs is pure aesthetic joy, has a side car for it now as well  which must weigh 500 lbs. Accelerates like a tractor. 

My personal best is 155 on an 04 CBR F4i on a desert highway. When I glanced down I think there was about 1000 left on the tach to redline at 14000 and it was still pulling a little when I chickened out. My biggest impression was that the broken white line was had almost gone solid.

Ille ademitte to 96MPH in a 15MPH zoane.  I giggelled thickeng I wse doneng overte sixe times speede limitte.                :)

IMHO redline ist what you saye it is....           :)

120+ Over the bridge to Seaside NJ in a fuel injected 1973 Mercedes Benz 280 SE 4.5 and 110 in a 1968 Pontiac Firebird on the same bridge in the early 1990’s to name a few...

A crew member’s son-in-law did the same thing a few years back and the Marine Police had to get him and his friends out of the bay and to the hospital. 

1 minute ago, Sail4beer said:

120+ Over the bridge to Seaside NJ in a fuel injected 1973 Mercedes Benz 280 SE 4.5 and 110 in a 1968 Pontiac Firebird on the same bridge in the early 1990’s to name a few...

A crew member’s son-in-law did the same thing a few years back and the Marine Police had to get him and his friends out of the bay and to the hospital. 

Evereythige OK?  No cats invollved ritte?

No, thankfully. Thug kids, but nobody deserves to go off a NJ bridge at midnight in January at 100mph..

I 70 west of Denver. I was eastbound coming down the Georgetown hill. I switched over to the left-hand lane and passed two cars...

on my bicycle. 

On 1/10/2018 at 7:47 PM, footlong said:

Ha.  My sis in law got a DUI on a bike at the Jersey Shore. Told cop next time she would drive. 

Not me but.................. My sister and her husband, and a couple of friends were at a "Conference" in Merida, Mexico one week, several years back. They had a night off, so they went out on the town in their rental VW beetle. When they came out of the restaurant, they noticed that someone had stolen one of their hub caps...... Not good. Rental co. will make them pay.

So they wobble up the street, and around the corner, and through several vacant lots looking for a VW beetle to steal a hub cap off of to replace theirs.

Finally they find one! And they pry the hub cap loose and retrace their steps back to the restaurant parking lot where they were parked..... Only to find out they'd stolen a hubcap off of their own damned car.

Tequila.

Charleston to Frisco in 56 hours. Did I mention I was towing a Fireball? Non stop except for fuel, bearings check, and driver swap. Stopped once in California because we didn't have a trailer tag. SC didn't require one and he called it in to check! Took it a little slower going back after the Nationals. Long time gone.

I drove from Erie, PA to San Antonio, Texas about 25 years ago.  I drove 1552 miles in 24 hours straight of driving, only stopping twice for food and fuel and toilet.  I don''t ever want to do that again.  I got to Dallas and I thought, shit it's only 4 more hours of driving, why stop for rest now.  I had company but she slept most of the way.

Ensenada to Penticton B.C. in 27 hours straight - two of us taking turns. It would have been less but we missed turning onto 97 at Weed (because of weed ;)) and had to drive 100 extra miles up the Columbia from Portland.

A long time ago ago, in a country far away, two of us managed to do Nice to Paris (940km) in 4 hours and 4 minutes, including stops for tolls on the autoroute and fuel (and coffee).  Despite the halts, the overall average was about 145mph (230kph).  He was a good race driver, and had an excellently tuned Ferarri Testarossa.  First and only time I was in a car doing 200mph on a public road.  Forget the mirrors - nobody is coming from behind.  You get serious tunnel vision over 150. 

Never again.

The silly thing was that he managed to drop off a sailing buddy at Nice airport before picking me up, and we got to Paris, dropped me off at the house, and he arrived at CDG in time to pick up our mate off his flight..

4 hours ago, Proneshooter said:

Charleston to Frisco in 56 hours. Did I mention I was towing a Fireball? Non stop except for fuel, bearings check, and driver swap. Stopped once in California because we didn't have a trailer tag. SC didn't require one and he called it in to check! Took it a little slower going back after the Nationals. Long time gone.

I never drove cross-country to a regatta towing a boat, but I have made some long road trips (New England to Texas, Chicago to Florida, etc etc) towing to regattas. On some of them, my long time faithful crew not only swapped out driving but did so while underway. The first time it made us nervous, after that it was routine. He claimed he later did it with other friends driving to Dead shows, but I think he was exaggerating. If he's not, I'm glad I wasn't there............

-DSK

7 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Ist eazey, alle you neede is CC an tillte backe seate.                 :)

But you get some strange looks from other drivers

-DSK