• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Groucho Marx

Auckland multihulls

nice vid!. tks.

Had a first sail on my new (to me) Hobie cat in Auckland yesterday. Sailed from Eastern Beach near Buckland's Beach to Mission Bay, got some lunch, then sailed back. Some smaller annoying things need to be adjusted on the boat before the next sail, but all in all it was a fun time. Can't wait to start island hopping and racing with the fleet!

IIZQ2999.thumb.JPG.eeaed52ef4913f1746439f9816a50757.JPG

Well if we are talking about multis then I have this:  For a couple months last January I traveled in NZ and snapped this picture as we were speeding by on a bridge.  It is quite like me to not remember which city it was but suspect it was Aukland.  It was in a large bay with a lot of other anchored out multis and other boats.   Unusual color and shape struck a cord for me.  I'm no expert but is it a Newick?  Never thought I'd use the photo for anything but its cool, now here comes this thread.  Any one know it?

Pink Tri in NZ.png

Thanks Over.  Its like a classic car, it must be fun to take it out for a spin around the bay and bask in the admiring glances, (while over taking to weather of course).  I always marvel at early designs.  Some crossed oceans and made dreams come true, others like this were works of art, reminiscent of swoppy, 1930s, streamline aesthetic.  I like the name too, (I assume a play on cavort), as much as the color scheme.  I hadn't remembered the mast was blue though.  I'm wondering if thats also a play; on cruisers' delineation of pink and blue jobs.  He does the sails and trim at the mast and she does the house and cockpit.  Can't make out what color the tiller is........... 

I asked the owner about the name one day, it turns out he is a bit of a Trekkie and  a Kvort is a Klingon spaceship and his very young daughter chose the colour scheme. 

This is a Kvort class cruiser...

IKS_Heghta.jpg

Got a chuckle out of that.  Nice to let the kids have some ownership of the boat, that will pay off later.  Boom looks like that wing tip.

The banana ahmas look like someone stuck a keel boat between a hobie 16's hulls. 

That Newick is a Raka 40. I think only three were built and those are 'New Moon' amas. They worked pretty well in conjunction with the 45 deg daggerfoils that Dick included in that design. The ama daggers were prone to breaking if fully up and seas could hit the unsupported tops. The Raka 40 I raced on did well in the Caribbean but the owner got tired of repairing the daggers. He glassed in the trunks and then you could feel the loss of displacement that the hollow on the outboard side of the amas. The hollow faces worked much like the concave bottoms of the PanAm race sailboards of that era and you could see the effects of the concave in the wakes of the amas when pressed hard, especially in the dark when the phosphorescence was bright. 

Bboy, the shapes are more like a Prindle 16 than a Hobie 16 but you make a good comment. 

Better look at the New Moons

Image result for richard difede st croix

3 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

That Newick is a Raka 40. I think only three were built and those are 'New Moon' amas. They worked pretty well in conjunction with the 45 deg daggerfoils that Dick included in that design. The ama daggers were prone to breaking if fully up and seas could hit the unsupported tops. The Raka 40 I raced on did well in the Caribbean but the owner got tired of repairing the daggers. He glassed in the trunks and then you could feel the loss of displacement that the hollow on the outboard side of the amas. The hollow faces worked much like the concave bottoms of the PanAm race sailboards of that era and you could see the effects of the concave in the wakes of the amas when pressed hard, especially in the dark when the phosphorescence was bright. 

Bboy, the shapes are more like a Prindle 16 than a Hobie 16 but you make a good comment. 

Better look at the New Moons

Image result for richard difede st croix

Hey Rasp, tried to message you. Said you can't receive. What's up with that?