• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

7 minutes ago, Amati said:

Try Paleo.  It's frighteningly effective....    Weight loss becomes the default.  Gaining weight requires so much eating that it ceases to be fun.  But!  It got me in the Green (no, not Trump Green), despite my sadistic ancestors, who believed procreation was a Good Idea.   Big fun.  Big, big, fun.....

I've tried a number of gimicky things over the years. Loved Atkins; any diet where you can eat unlimited bacon and buffalo wings is OK in my book. Even if it's unsustainable.

What seems to work best is simply tracking every calorie I put in my piehole and not exceeding a daily amount, netted against the exercise I get during the day.

8 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

I've tried a number of gimicky things over the years. Loved Atkins; any diet where you can eat unlimited bacon and buffalo wings is OK in my book. Even if it's unsustainable.

What seems to work best is simply tracking every calorie I put in my piehole and not exceeding a daily amount, netted against the exercise I get during the day.

Fear is a great motivator.  But you are young, my Malchiki-wiki...... (Russian for Grasshopper? :))  Try Paleo Friendly Bacon (:rolleyes:) if you can find it down there....

Yummy!

2 hours ago, Amati said:

Try Paleo.  It's frighteningly effective....    Weight loss becomes the default.  Gaining weight requires so much eating that it ceases to be fun.  But!  It got me in the Green (no, not Trump Green), despite my sadistic ancestors, who believed procreation was a Good Idea.   Big fun.  Big, big, fun.....

What is Paleo?

47 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

What is Paleo?

It is a diet fad promoted by Supermarkets her in Australia.  It is based on a Palaeolithic (cave man) diet that does not incorporate process flour or sugar..

They made a few TV programs and it was media saturation for a year or two.  Pretty poster boy chef for the chicks to ogle over and slick marketing.  I have to say it appears to have merit but the increase in meat consumption has some people not happy.

All designed to get people into the supermarket with a huge shopping list of things they normally don't eat, that do not last long once the nitrogen filled plastic bags are opened and have a very high profit margin after the ripped off the farmer.

All diets are temporary..  Permanent change is required.

6 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

^^^^^^^^this, its a very simple energy in, versus energy out calculation.

5 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

What is Paleo?

Random describes the commercial end of Paleo in his usual massively entertaining  & acerbic manner, but I’m looking at it as a generic, general description, rather than a specific commercial diet:

Little or no (if you can pull that off!) added sugar besides what is already in food (and using sugary food like fruit as an occasional desert, rather than a staple)

Try stay away from simple carbs, and go for as complex a carb as  possible- for example get away from potatoes, and go for sweet potatoes and yams.  

Stay towards mono and polyunsaturated fats and oils rather than saturated, limit cholesteral- which isn’t that hard- for example, for cooking, use olive oil at lower heat, and refined avacado oil at higher heat to avoid carmalization (sugar).  Try to Limit Soy and Canola oil (which is in everything industrially produced, it seems) we do need cholesterol, just not a lot.  Flax oil rocks.

keep meat down to a dull roar and pay attention to the type of fat content and amount of cholesterol in it- salmon and cold water fish in general are considered good, but it’s cool how many other meats are not that bad if you figure the fat, cholesterol and caloric levels.  3 ounces of meat at a time is a good goal to shoot for.  If you figure your goals by the day, it’s not that hard to balance things out.

I’m going to over simplify it, but too much sugar and the wrong fats can irritate the lining of your  cardiovascular system, so that it gets inflamed and snags the different kinds of cholesterol as it floats by creating plaque buildup  (kind of like a scab).  Think of it as the bottom of your boat- she’s  faster and handles better when the bottom is clean and smooth.  The right types of fat can ‘wrap’ and lubricate around bad shit in your bloodstream etc etc.  

I can go on and on (like some people manufacture too much cholesterol, but some others absorb too much) , but like I said above, Paleo is a convenient shorthand for getting way from simple carbs (Sugar) , saturated fat, and too much cholesterol.  Once I got away from eating massive amounts of them (like turnovers :wub: and apple pie and French fries etc etc), I went from 1500 calories a day to keep the weight off to 2000.  Your results will vary.

Industrialization of food has saved the world from mass starvation, but it’s become very refined, in a lot of ways, along the way.  It’s the magic of the marketplace!  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Amati said:

Hello, and welcome....

So what I hear you saying is that you aren't much bigger than your cello?   :D

This is just begging to be set to music.  Genius!

10 hours ago, Amati said:

No excuse?  Ha!  It means it's :unsure: All Intentional.......

All Intentional!

Intentional!  Many people are saying it!

Intentional!  He means it all!  It's genius, and he's stable, and intentional!

It's based on information theory that Trump learned at MIT!  It's genius!  We are putty in his tiny little hands!  His tiny brilliant hands!

Intentional, I tell you!

3 dimensional chess!

Not whack a fucking shithole mole!  

See what he did?

Intentional!

Genius!:lol:

10 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

You may find this interesting BJ. It confirmed what I had long suspected about the "energy equation" being heavily dominated by caloric intake.

https://www.vox.com/2018/1/3/16845438/exercise-weight-loss-myth-burn-calories

The upshot is that exercise is not a very good way to lose weight. Please note, no one is saying not to exercise since exercise is a great way to stay healthy and effects many other things.

• Like 1

The best answer to weight loss is the one that nobody like to hear. Eat smaller portions, eat 4 or 5 small meals, eat what you like but be sensible and really try to limit the really bad shit, and be reasonably active. It's boring, it's slow, but it works.  Weight loss is as much or more behavioral than it is science.  But human nature being what it is, folks would rather try one fad diet after another and get frustrated.

Just now, Ed Lada said:

Weight loss is as much or more behavioral than it is science.  But human nature being what it is, folks would rather try one fad diet after another and get frustrated.

That's one reason not to want Oprah for president.

11 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

I find that sailing reduces my weight. When we do a large amount of sailing, say from Cape Town to Caribbean I will lose about 15 pounds, say from 182 to 167 on a 5' 11" frame. This in spite of generally eating very well including snacks in the middle of the night on watch and having a daily beer on most days. When I get back on land I put the weight back on. I think being on passage you just burn a lot of calories with the boat constantly moving and you making constant minor balance adjustments.

29 minutes ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

I find that sailing reduces my weight. When we do a large amount of sailing, say from Cape Town to Caribbean I will lose about 15 pounds, say from 182 to 167 on a 5' 11" frame. This in spite of generally eating very well including snacks in the middle of the night on watch and having a daily beer on most days. When I get back on land I put the weight back on. I think being on passage you just burn a lot of calories with the boat constantly moving and you making constant minor balance adjustments.

yep.  Lose weight and not even really be hungry. Part of it might be that we don't have those endlessly available sugary snacks (the bow guy fond my chocolate stash, the bastard)

Of course, I drank it all back on as soon as we hit land....

The guy who got me interested in sailing had lots of offshore experience and he once said that there are no fat sailors offshore. He figured it was a kind of isometric thing - you are always tensed against the motion of the boat.

I've always had a simple theory about weight gain - if you are putting on weight you are eating too much - period.

And I'm overweight so I know I'm right. :D

I'll second the paleo-style diet.

Go with meat and veggies and fruits.

Cut corn, potatoes, and rice.

Meat portions...the size of your palm.

Better to eat 5 times a day at those sizes than gorging yourself 3 times a day.

I cut out gluten as well, because it was easy at that point....fruits and meat don't have flour.

It was explained kinda like this.  Gluten isn't bad, but when your body senses it, it sends out "stuff" to neutralize/digest/it.

That stuff also inflames joints.  That's why you can't cheat with gluten.  There's no " I eat a little gluten, but not much."  Your body dumps

the anti-gluten stuff when it senses gluten.  

And i guarantee, if you go fully gluten free for 3 weeks, the difference will obvious.

ESPECIALLY when you slip and eat gluten.  I call it the gluten train....because when you wake up the next day you feel like you got hit by a train.

My experience? Gluten is a code word for refined flour - eat whole grains and it's not an issue. Donuts? yeah, it's a problem.  Many years ago someone wise said "the whiter the bread the sooner you're dead".  I still have my copy of "the Supermarket Handbook" from the early 70's - one of the gems was the big warning about margarine = before all the info about transfat.  The recommendation? Use real butter just not so much of it.  Eggs? good. Oatmeal? best bargain in the grocery.  Lots of common sense and many decades later  I am one of a very few people I know my age with no chronic health problems and requiring no medication.  caveat - ibuprofen when overdoing it racing/skiing etc.  Washed down with some quality booze of course.

Do I eat donuts? rarely, although the place down the street makes killer apple fritters so treat myself to one with my breakfast taco once a week or so.  I also eat junk food, chips and desserts but do my best to keep it in moderation. Very little meat, lots of veggies.  my .02

People have been eating gluten since they stopped being hunter gatherers.  There is nothing wrong with it.  Like anything, but it's oh so boring, is almost anything in moderation except vegetables.  It isn't rocket science.  But then you can't sit around with your like minded friends endlessly discussing some complicated fad diet or another.

The other factor in eating sensibly is eating between meals.  It's insidious, many people don't even realize they are eating all day.  And it's rarely healthy food.

3 minutes ago, Captain Gigi said:

Aw, c'mon, Scot Tempesta and @Zapata and @B.J. Porter, and all the Mods. This was funny. Where's my Like icon?

I'll give you one for being an attention whore. How's that?

• Like 2

I down voted it because what the fuck?  Begging for likes?  Get a life.

Actually I am just bitter because Gigi resisted my advances. I am just not accustomed to rejection.

23 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

People have been eating gluten since they stopped being hunter gatherers.  There is nothing wrong with it.  Like anything, but it's oh so boring, is almost anything in moderation except vegetables.  It isn't rocket science.  But then you can't sit around with your like minded friends endlessly discussing some complicated fad diet or another.

The other factor in eating sensibly is eating between meals.  It's insidious, many people don't even realize they are eating all day.  And it's rarely healthy food.

Nah, we ate gluten before, while we were still hunter-gatherers. We just didn't eat as much of it.

I have a neighbor who is convinced that milk is very bad for human health. Seems nice enough most ways but has this nutty rant always waiting to surface about how milk causes cancer etc etc. The fact I drink a lot of milk, and have zero health complaints (other than my traumatized knees and chronic sunburn); while they have not drunk any in years and have a long list of ailments, seems to make the same impression that we've been drinking milk for tens of thousands of years (zilch).

Like you say, it's not rocket science. It's amazing what some people will believe

-DSK

11 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

I down voted it because what the fuck?  Begging for likes?  Get a life.

Actually I am just bitter because Gigi resisted my advances. I am just not accustomed to rejection.

She's too old for you.

"The body is a print-out of the mind"

Deepak Chopra

First you have to change your mind.

26 minutes ago, Captain Gigi said:

And your avatar pic, @Ed Lada. Doesn't do a thing for you. And dis place is an anarchy, I've been led to believe. Anything goes. It's all in the mind. @random understands.

Meh.  I haven't ever bitten a woman that didn't give me permission (or beg me to) first.

19 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

The doc is a freaking 1 star admiral.  AIn't no shame in retiring at that rank.  He is unlikely to get a second star in that job, it is probably a 1 star slot.  He will either retire from that job or get promoted and do something else.  As a doctor the slots for a 2 star are pretty limited.  He won't be commanding  battle group or anything.  Maybe he was waiting for a job to come open.  Anything is possible but he stepped on his dick big time so I see a retirement in his near future.

Likely. The gig is heavy on credibility and the next administration will probably replace him on general principles.  

6 hours ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

I've noticed this too. Though I've also noticed that I always seem more hungry too, which I'd generally marked down to being idle.

I tend to lose weight getting the boat ready to go cruising, and the first few months where I'm sweating and fixing all the things that have broken down.

37 minutes ago, Zonker said:

I tend to lose weight getting the boat ready to go cruising, and the first few months where I'm sweating and fixing all the things that have broken down.

If that shit made me lose weight I'd be staggering around with an IV bag being force fed.