George Dewey

I've had it with Rhode Island - Where to go?

Recommended Posts

I'm pretty well fed up with almost everything about living in Rhode Island. Almost all of my family has left and I'm finally feeling free to escape. The sailing here is great; it's the only thing RI has going for it. RI is expensive, cold and completely mismanaged. I'll miss my friends but they will come visit, especially in February. 

So where to go that has good sailing? I prefer to stay in the US, mostly because I still have to work for  living. Otherwise, Costa Rica would be very nice. I write computer software so I need a place where I can find a good job, keep my boat (a Beneteau 36.7) in the water year round and afford to live. I don't mind hot; air conditioning works fine. I prefer conservative politics. I think the entire west coast is out.

The most likely candidates are the Tampa, FL area or the Houston, TX area. Suggestions?

 

 

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too bad about RI. We love to visit, but we’d never move back.

There are conservatives everywhere, you can find lots of like minded peeps in any big city.

Sailing cities; San Diego, Annapolis, Seattle, San Francisco, Newport, Miami, Chicago, Charleston, Boston, Santa Barbara. If you’re not racing, that opens up some large inland lake places.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rum Runner said:

Scratch Chicago is you want low taxes and easy access to the water if you sail a dingy.

There are lots of safe, low COL areas all around Chicago, but you’re right about dingy access. The OP has a B36.7, lots of them around Chicago...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

+1 on the Chesapeake.

Plenty of work for software engineers, plenty of dockage outside of Annapolis at rates much lower than Annapolis.

The spring and fall sailing are outstanding. Summers are sometimes light and hot but not always. Winters can be usable or completely iced over, depending.  Lots of places to visit by sail. Lots of culture.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rum Runner said:

Scratch Chicago is you want low taxes and easy access to the water if you sail a dingy.

Chicago is expensive, liberal and, perhaps worst of all, cold!

I do like racing...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We moved back to Florida from that area 16 years ago and will never go back to live.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boy, you seem really wound up about the politics of every place. Maybe rather than complaining, you could run for some kind of office to try and actually change the system.

Regardless, I've taken into account your stated preferences and highlighted the possible states in Red on this map:

heres-the-final-2016-electoral-college-m

 

Miami has incredible sailing but there's lots of brown people there who would likely upset your conservative sensibilities, so that's out. Charleston might be the go, but it's a city with a well educated population so probably too liberal for you. MS and AL have nice access to the water, but you mentioned wanting to get a good job so that's out. New Orleans is an interesting thought, but FEMA helped that city out after Katrina so it probably reeks too much of big government to you. Plus, with the sea level rising it might not be a nice place to be in a deca.... oh wait... sorry... "there's no such thing as global warming."

Alaska is probably your best bet. Polar bears are white, it has access to the water, and you can take your conservative values far away from the rest of us. Plus it's cold there so you can hang out with the rest of your elk who look out the window, see snow, and claim that Obama lied to us about global warming while stealing our guns. 

 

Fuck off. 

  • Like 16
  • Downvote 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seriously, don't move to Texas. I've been in Houston for 2.5 years coming from Southern California. It's too damn hot 9 months out of year. You don't drink  a bottle of water, you drink gallons.. We don't even go outside June- September. Can't wait to move east..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Houston is relatively inexpensive, sailing year round. Gets fucking hot in the summer so you will either add a/c to the boat or not come down in the summer, unless it's evening sails.  Conservatives are a dying breed with only an occasional sighting but you can't spit with out hitting a Republican so you should feel right at home.  My friends who are well off spend their summers in RI. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hampton VA.  Close to the ocean, conservative, ice free.

Annapolis - more liberal, more ice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can find great sailing and temperate weather with mild seasons in the Florida-Alabama Panhandle. Pensacola is turning into a good place for higher tech (than the surrounding areas) but depending on your tax situation you can easily reside in Alabama just a few miles west for such advantages. Politics are pretty much the same on either side of the state line. Perdido Pass in Alabama to Destin or Panama CIty have great offshore barrier islands for marinas and easy inside transits via the ICW and the prettiest Quartz white sand beaches and emerald Gulf waters. Summer heat and humidity can be tough for some, just make sure your extension cord for your AC is long enough. 

Image result for Perdido pass aerial

This is my piece of waterfront playground!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jsaronson said:

Hampton VA.  Close to the ocean, conservative, ice free.

Annapolis - more liberal, more ice.

Hey, we have a Republican governor and he's pretty popular.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jackolantern said:

Boy, you seem really wound up about the politics of every place. Maybe rather than complaining, you could run for some kind of office to try and actually change the system.

Regardless, I've taken into account your stated preferences and highlighted the possible states in Red on this map:

heres-the-final-2016-electoral-college-m

 

Miami has incredible sailing but there's lots of brown people there who would likely upset your conservative sensibilities, so that's out. Charleston might be the go, but it's a city with a well educated population so probably too liberal for you. MS and AL have nice access to the water, but you mentioned wanting to get a good job so that's out. New Orleans is an interesting thought, but FEMA helped that city out after Katrina so it probably reeks too much of big government to you. Plus, with the sea level rising it might not be a nice place to be in a deca.... oh wait... sorry... "there's no such thing as global warming."

Alaska is probably your best bet. Polar bears are white, it has access to the water, and you can take your conservative values far away from the rest of us. Plus it's cold there so you can hang out with the rest of your elk who look out the window, see snow, and claim that Obama lied to us about global warming while stealing our guns. 

 

Fuck off. 

Wow!  What an asshole.  All he said was he preferred conservative politics.  Take your diatribe to PA dipshit.

  • Like 12
  • Downvote 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sailing in Galveston Bay is pretty good if you dont mind brown water. More wind and cleaner water in Corpus Christi. It gets real hot, and not much wind on the bay in the middle summer months. Tampa is a thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have lived in every single one of the aforementioned cities except for Chicago. These are my opinions based on my preferences, so carefully consider your own priorities.Texas is not that appealing. Ugly water, ugly land, flat, hot, muggy. Good people, though. The Chesapeake is gorgeous in the Fall and Spring, but I've never been any place with a more depressing winter. Rainy, gray 38 degree weather for months.  The best kept secrets on the list so far are Charleston and Pensacola/Floribama. Beautiful locales and water, although the racing scene is not huge. Tampa is nice, tons of boats, and solid racing. FL wages are lower, because a lot of people want to live there.

Anyplace you go will have some shitty months, except SoCal for most people, but even there I missed having significant weather like rain, storms, and hurricanes. Maybe aim to minimize the suck, whatever that may be for you. For me, Florida has August and September (fucking HOT) but the Chesapeake was December thru April, for example. YOMV. Good luck.

Happy in FL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


A sailor cant go wrong if you are in software in live in the SFbay area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to everyone for the helpful comments, except jackass-olantern. He sure made a lot of assumptions about me I won't bother to answer.

I had not considered MD or VA as I didn't think they would be far enough south for warm weather but I'll give them a look. Part of what turns me off about RI (and I didn't mention this) is just how little daylight we get in the winter. And it never occurred to me I could find work in Alabama near Pensacola. I actually have family I have never met in that are. I didn't realize the Houston area was quite that hot, it sounds much worse than I realized. And brown water? Hm... As for Tampa Bay area, I do see salaries are lower than I am used to, but the cost of living is, supposedly, about 13% lower than I'm paying now. 

I'm also looking at Wilmington, NC and Savannah, GA. I suspect the big issues there will be finding work. 

As for SF Bay, well, I know the money is good, but the cost of living is astronomical. I just feel like SF would be like RI on steroids, and with horrid traffic.

Thanks again, I do appreciate the responses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yup, depending on how much rain we've gotten the bay is green to brown so a lot different from what east and west coast sailors are used to. At least the water is warm! And you want a draft of less than 7' or so, Galveston Bay is shallow. Great sailing community though, lots of racing.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem with Houston is the humidity. Hot and dry isn't that bad. Hot and humid is brutal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, jarcher said:

Thanks to everyone for the helpful comments, except jackass-olantern. He sure made a lot of assumptions about me I won't bother to answer.

I had not considered MD or VA as I didn't think they would be far enough south for warm weather but I'll give them a look. Part of what turns me off about RI (and I didn't mention this) is just how little daylight we get in the winter. And it never occurred to me I could find work in Alabama near Pensacola. I actually have family I have never met in that are. I didn't realize the Houston area was quite that hot, it sounds much worse than I realized. And brown water? Hm... As for Tampa Bay area, I do see salaries are lower than I am used to, but the cost of living is, supposedly, about 13% lower than I'm paying now. 

I'm also looking at Wilmington, NC and Savannah, GA. I suspect the big issues there will be finding work. 

As for SF Bay, well, I know the money is good, but the cost of living is astronomical. I just feel like SF would be like RI on steroids, and with horrid traffic.

Thanks again, I do appreciate the responses.

You're right about SF. My long term plan is "somewhere else" - 

Bainbridge Island. Really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You pretty much described Jacksonville, Florida

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, J28 said:

Wow!  What an asshole.  All he said was he preferred conservative politics.  Take your diatribe to PA dipshit.

Actually, anyone that takes politics so seriously that they refuse to live somewhere because it is too whatever is taking politics wayyyyyyy to seriously.  Jack mad me laugh and I agree with him though I don't have the time to put it so eloquently.  Good show.  

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chicago/Illinois reality:
More people are leaving this State than coming in, going to lose more representatives to Washington DC.
#49 out of 50 in taxes sent to Washington DC, than money coming back to the State.
State Income tax almost doubled this year (almost 5%), however, State government still outspending the revenue, more taxes coming.
Highest State Debt per capita, somewhere around $20,000 per head (remember 1/2 of the people don't work - a workers share is $40,000). Gonna have to raise taxes.
City of Chicago (if you choose to live in the City) raised property taxes significantly this year (and many other taxes increased - cell phones, etc.).
City of Chicago debt close to $67,000 per household.  Gonna have to raise taxes.
City of Chicago is the only major City in the country to lose population, and has done it 3 straight years in a row.
City of Chicago sold the parking meters to a private company. Parking along the lakefront is murderous, unless you sail at either Chicago Corinthian Yacht Club (free parking still) or Jackson Park Yacht Club (limited free parking).
Millennial's are fleeing the State in droves, no work for young people.
60% of Illinoisians would move today if it were for their family and friends.
I meet with business owners regularly, most are just holding, many just keeping the lights and heat on.  Those that are doing better, I ask where their business comes from.  They'll tell you that 25 years ago almost all of their clients were within Illinois.  One told me yesterday 50% of his business is from outside Illinois, another last week told me that 80% of his business is from outside of Illinois.
If you want to do well, be prepared to travel and not find your clients here.

The good news is - we sail in fresh water, no sharks etc.  No one washes their boats off after racing, or before to rinse the morning salt dew off!

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jarcher said:

 

As for SF Bay, well, I know the money is good, but the cost of living is astronomical. I just feel like SF would be like RI on steroids, and with horrid traffic.

Worse;  at least in RI, the criminally corrupt machine politics do something useful on occasion.

Here it's much more about appearance. 

We are invested on Back Creek, in Annapolis, right across from Jaybin's yard. Should move there in 5-8 yrs

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Annacortes WA.        Seattle is too crowded. Freeway is choked. Port Angeles if you want to get further away from the crowds. 

Although the left coast has a lot of loonie lefties, it is not a problem on a daily basis. Unless you want to make it a problem. I have been going down to WA and OR since about 1969 and never had a political argument. I have insulted the beer quite often.

My area in BC has a Green MP. I am a fiscal Conservative, but feel strongly about the environment. But who cares. I vote and either laugh, cheer or cry. It happens.

From WA you aim North to millions of Islands. I do think the fishing license should cost more for US boats. And you will have to leave your guns at home. We use lures to catch fish.

San Fran was also a good suggestion if you want to be a bit warmer.

Unkle Krusty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a thought; I don't live there but you might consider the Puget Sound area. Taxes are pretty low, lots of beautiful scenery to see from your cockpit and the weather, while pretty grey in the winter, is spectacular in the late spring-summer-early fall. Can't comment on the racing scene but there are lots of boats up there for sale on Yachtworld and they can't all be cruising. (Or maybe they can, I don't know). As for software employment? ........Please!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Charleston, South Carolina.  Very good racing scene. Great food.

If you are single, the prettiest friendliest women anywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know you GOP conservatives don't believe in global warming, but you know....SCIENCE!  So If you plan to settle in for awhile. I wouldn't recommend Florida or the Gulf Coast or low areas in the Carolinas and the Chesapeake.  The Left Coast?  Well, we know why its called that, and they have wildfires, mudslides, earthquakes, Mexicans and other bad shit.... but no ice.  That kinda leaves you with the Great Lakes.  Obviously Chicago is out, what with all the Obama stink and bad liberal vibe, but there are cool places like Cleveland, Milwaukee and Detroit to consider.  Sure there is crappy weather half of the year, but that's a small price to pay.  Ever consider a DN?  Your best bet might be inland Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi or Alabama.  They are conservative, selectively white, love Trump and will have lots of waterfront property in 40-50 years.  As long as you don't mind working in the local Tractor Supply or Waffle House it may be worth the wait.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I read your post:

1. You're world weary of crowded, growing, busy, expensive places.  You want a place with a more rural, relaxed feel.

But:

2. You write software for a living, and would prefer a place where there's a thriving software industry.

Unfortunately, these things tend to go together.  I know of no up-and-coming coastal locations with a thriving software business that are not already, crowded, traffic-jammed, and expensive.

So my suggestion is to adopt your workstyle to your lifestyle.  Seek out a work engagement where you work remotely.  This will allow you to set up shop in a remote coastal location.

It's kind of expensive, but I wonder if you'd like living in the Keys?

Food for thought.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Annacortes or Bellingham WA. Once out of Seattle the costs drop off, the weather is actually a little better, you can sail all year, and there are thousands of places to explore by boat. I am sure these areas are less liberal than Seattle, but I am not sure how far blue they are.

Whatever you decide, NEVER COME TO SEATTLE. It is a reeking shithole full of Amazon zombies, bike lanes, and homeless heroin addicts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, jarcher said:

I'm pretty well fed up with almost everything about living in Rhode Island. Almost all of my family has left and I'm finally feeling free to escape. The sailing here is great; it's the only thing RI has going for it. RI is expensive, cold and completely mismanaged. I'll miss my friends but they will come visit, especially in February. 

So where to go that has good sailing? I prefer to stay in the US, mostly because I still have to work for  living. Otherwise, Costa Rica would be very nice. I write computer software so I need a place where I can find a good job, keep my boat (a Beneteau 36.7) in the water year round and afford to live. I don't mind hot; air conditioning works fine. I prefer conservative politics. I think the entire west coast is out.

The most likely candidates are the Tampa, FL area or the Houston, TX area. Suggestions?

 

 

If you bring your boat with you to FL plan to pay some tax on it. Though you won't have state income tax, they are likely to whack you sales tax when you import it, and/or annual use tax.

Actually a fair number of states will sing you on sales tax, coming from RI.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Santa Barbara,  It's what you make it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Continental US. Summer in Newport; Winter in Palm Beach.  They had all figured out about 125 years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, guerdon said:

Santa Barbara,  It's what you make it.

But keep your boat in Oxnard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

If you bring your boat with you to FL plan to pay some tax on it. Though you won't have state income tax, they are likely to whack you sales tax when you import it, and/or annual use tax.

Actually a fair number of states will sing you on sales tax, coming from RI.

 

At least the Florida tax is only one off, not annual like CT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, savoir said:

At least the Florida tax is only one off, not annual like CT.

I believe that FL is also an annual tax. I don't know, I've never kept my boat there. I bought it there, but imported it to RI without owing any FL taxes.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

I believe that FL is also an annual tax. I don't know, I've never kept my boat there. I bought it there, but imported it to RI without owing any FL taxes.

 

No, Florida boat tax is best described as " once per owner " which is almost as good as the " once per boat " system that they have in the EU. Relative to states like CT, NY and CA it is a great deal for anyone who plans to keep their boat in Florida for a few years.

By the way, Greenwich Bay is frozen all the way to Oakland Beach. Homesick yet ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, savoir said:

No, Florida boat tax is best described as " once per owner " which is almost as good as the " once per boat " system that they have in the EU. Relative to states like CT, NY and CA it is a great deal for anyone who plans to keep their boat in Florida for a few years.

By the way, Greenwich Bay is frozen all the way to Oakland Beach. Homesick yet ? 

Nope. We should have had you by the house when you were there. Though we might have been living on the boat by the time we met.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, jarcher said:

I'm pretty well fed up with almost everything about living in Rhode Island. Almost all of my family has left and I'm finally feeling free to escape. The sailing here is great; it's the only thing RI has going for it. RI is expensive, cold and completely mismanaged. I'll miss my friends but they will come visit, especially in February. 

So where to go that has good sailing? I prefer to stay in the US, mostly because I still have to work for  living. Otherwise, Costa Rica would be very nice. I write computer software so I need a place where I can find a good job, keep my boat (a Beneteau 36.7) in the water year round and afford to live. I don't mind hot; air conditioning works fine. I prefer conservative politics. I think the entire west coast is out.

The most likely candidates are the Tampa, FL area or the Houston, TX area. Suggestions?

 

 

Hard to say.  FLorida is a wierd place, the land of blow ins ,  everyone is from some other place. 

Texas is different...real people in Texas.

might be a good idea to take a few holidays in Texas and see if you can fit in . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, slug zitski said:

Hard to say.  FLorida is a wierd place, the land of blow ins ,  everyone is from some other place. 

Texas is different...real people in Texas.

might be a good idea to take a few holidays in Texas and see if you can fit in . 

+1  Lived between Miami and West Palm for a number of years.  Used to tell people that your first year in Florida is paradise.  Second year you start noticing how crowded it is.  Third year you start hating anyone with out of state license plates.  Fourth year you buy a gun.   In SE Florida the average time a person OWNED a house was less than 3 years.  The communities all transient.  No one knew anyone, so no one gave a shit about anyone.  Glad I left.  Now that was South East Florida, which was basically NY&NJ transplanted south.   I think its different up in the Panhandle which is still the country.

I only know Texas from another sport, and I travel there couple times a year.  People seem more rooted and decent.  Less transient and indifferent.  But it is really hot in the summer, and can get really cold in the winter.  The "Have a Blessed Day" greetings can get a bit annoying if you aren't religious.  I love visiting the place but wouldn't move there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The advantage to florida is that its close to the Bahamas.

nice clear water and a change from city life .

north of florida..georgia is  also a place with real people.

might be worth a visit.

 

i  only select hideouts  that alow me to ride a bicycle and get everything done.  Cars dont work well with boats.

IMG_7832.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You need wider weather decks like I need more chest hair

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, J28 said:

Wow!  What an asshole.  All he said was he preferred conservative politics.  Take your diatribe to PA dipshit.

That's what I thought too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please don't move to the Vancouver Island area, rains all the time, no wind in summer, too much in winter, and more liberals than you could possibly be comfortable with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Annapolis is warmer than Newport and Charleston is warmer than Annapolis and Jacksonville is warmer than Charleston, but they all have cold winter days.

Until you get as far south as mid-Florida, you will have winter and cold of some sort. It just gets a little warmer, starts later, and ends sooner. For example. most years Annapolis has great sailing into early or late December and for many of us the season PT II starts in September after taking August off for lack of wind.

* as I type, Annapolis is windy and 36 and Jacksonville FL is windy and 46.

As for politics - WTF? :huh:

I can see not liking a totally mismanaged tax hell state, but other than that, unless you just HAVE TO hang around the redneck bar and talk about the sex slaves under the pizza place, who cares? We have a LOT of software jobs here and every kind of politics you could imagine. The economy you want and a bunch of rabid conservatives running the place just are not likely to ever occupy the same geography.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although the previous post said do not move to the Vancouver Island area, being you are a US person, I will assume you would not.

It does rain in the Pacific North West which includes the bottom left of BC. There is bugger all snow. You can ride your bicycle or motorcycle 355 days per year. In my previous post I said the highway ( 14 lanes wide ) past Seattle, is backed up often. When you go due North in a boat past Lund BC, it is very similar, with literally dozens or hundreds of US boats. So many, they have an on the water concert, with the band coming from Roche Harbor, which is on San Juan Island WA. Theo Foss from Seattle is probably the prettiest old fizz boat anywhere. Puget Sound as also suggested has Seattle and Olympia on the East side. That is where it is all jam packed and there are comments above about Seattle.

If you are an outdoorsy type: From Bellingham or Annacortes, you can head East on Highway 20, thru some of the prettiest country about. It will take you over the Cascade Mountains to the Okanagan ( Okanogon ) valley, where it can get quite warm. There is not much better sailing and boating area as the PNW. The wind does blow in the summer, depending where you go. Or you can get out of the wind, and discover warm water, depending where you go. And you can do it all from the places mentioned. There are plenty of weekly and once per year races.

I guess if you wear your politics and gun opinions on your sleeve, as many do, you may limit your interaction with fellow boaters. I have not found it to be a problem. 

The left hand side of WA, OR, and Vancouver Island, is wide open spaces, with lots of history, lots of Bays and Japan across the big puddle. BTW, it is raining.

Unkle Krusty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tampa to Sarasota Fl is hard to beat - generally there's always a breeze. Summer storms are a little tricky and it's friggin hot during the summer 24/7. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Ishemalle hasse a cabbine to rentte, cheche withe hime.                              :)

Fake News. Ishmael does not have a cabin. Ishmael would be happy to put up a pup tent in our back yard.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, usedtobeoldestsailor said:

Please don't move to the Vancouver Island area, rains all the time, no wind in summer, too much in winter, and more liberals than you could possibly be comfortable with.

Liberals? To the average USAnian we're all godless commies.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Godless? Self centred? Impolite? Web footed?  Yes maybe. But Commies? Nope.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, ropetrick said:

If you are single, the prettiest friendliest women anywhere.

This is a true statement and valid (but probably less enticing) even if you are married. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cuba.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jfdlaw said:

+1  Lived between Miami and West Palm for a number of years.  Used to tell people that your first year in Florida is paradise.  Second year you start noticing how crowded it is.  Third year you start hating anyone with out of state license plates.  Fourth year you buy a gun.   In SE Florida the average time a person OWNED a house was less than 3 years.  The communities all transient.  No one knew anyone, so no one gave a shit about anyone.  Glad I left.  Now that was South East Florida, which was basically NY&NJ transplanted south.   I think its different up in the Panhandle which is still the country.

I only know Texas from another sport, and I travel there couple times a year.  People seem more rooted and decent.  Less transient and indifferent.  But it is really hot in the summer, and can get really cold in the winter.  The "Have a Blessed Day" greetings can get a bit annoying if you aren't religious.  I love visiting the place but wouldn't move there.

Texas is a very big state.  The weather between north and south Texas, ni to mention the hot and humid coast, are all different.  Like everuwhree, there are nice people there and a good share of complete asholes.  Many Texans are transpalnts form other parts of the country, but everyody that lives there claims they are natives.  look at you, you go there a couple of times a year and think you can offer valid information.  So please don't make sweeping generalizations.

In my opinion, Texas, other than the Riverwalk in San Antonio, and Austin, is a compelte shithole.  They like to brag they don't have a state income tax, it shows in the shitty infrastructure there.   Each city neighborhood is allowed to form their own tax district and fund their schools with it.  Oh, isn't that a way  to discrminate and keep out the brown folks?  Why yes, it is, yet the courts have said it's legal  although the wealthiest district in San Antonio was forced to share with the poorest district in the city, after a court battle a few years ago.  Houston is only attractive to people who like the smell of money.  The city is ugly as fuck, sprawls everywhere and in the summer, it's like a steambath. Hot and humid as hell.  In Houston, 'old money' means 1945 to the '60s.  Mile after mile of ugly subdivisions full of ugly McMansions.  Oh wait, that is true for any big city in Texas.  Most of the state is flat as a pancake, the only hills are the highway overpasses.  

  • Like 3
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With software there is always tele-commuting. 

Florida, GA, Charleston, NC, and the bay area (As in VA/MD) is really all good.  NC has a ton of sofware companies, but they are all about 1 hour inland at Triangle Research Park.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Savannah GA, has just enough racing to say that it exists, but that's about it, Semi regular hack level PHRF where 10 boats is considered a hell of a turn out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, V21 said:

Savannah GA, has just enough racing to say that it exists, but that's about it, Semi regular hack level PHRF where 10 boats is considered a hell of a turn out.

If you narrow this search to Newport RI level sailing, the choices are far fewer. Annapolis is about the closest thing, maybe Charleston SC, not sure where else on the East Coast. Lots and lots of boats in Florida, but I am not sure what part of it has active racing. Hampton Roads/Norfolk has a decent sailing scene I think as well.

* note south of Maryland your boat insurance will go up. Mine would at least triple from here to Florida.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you considered Aquidneck Island?  We could start a revolution and secede from the rest of the state.

I  actually retired here for the sailing and proximity to virtually anything in a 2 hour drive.  If I get tired of winter, we vacation someplace warm. We're spoiled with proximity to marine repair business here.  Have you considered doing S/W for NUWC, Raytheon or any of the hundreds of support contractors in the area?

ps - where did you haul the new Bene?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2018 at 12:00 PM, jarcher said:

The most likely candidates are the Tampa, FL area or the Houston, TX area. Suggestions?

That's probably a good idea. That's really the only natural harbor on the FL Gulf Coast that's any good for sailing. Pay no attention to Pensacola Bay nor Charlotte Harbor. That Rasputin guy doesn't really know much about boats. :P

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, savoir said:

You were trying to sell it at that time.

I was trying to sell it for years. But I think when we met we had the house pretty much emptied and were basically living on the boat over at Brewer's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, carcrash said:

Southern California.

Best weather for absolute certain: its been 70-80 and clear blue skies all week since we had a few inches of rain on Tuesday (first rain since February?).

Most diverse economy, now rivaling the bay area for high tech, but lots of other industries too. This is great for software, as every industry needs software! CyberCoders literally hires sky writing planes to induce people to call for all the open positions. Monster.com shows 632 software jobs within 5 miles of my house in a canyon on the edge of the megalopolis.

Sailing is great because weather is so predictable, water is deep, almost no underwater obstructions, no currents, pretty good ocean ecosystem (Blue Whales!), clean air almost always now, clean water unless it just rained (and that only happens in January and February), several islands with safe peaceful coves with good holding, lots of casual racing, some serious racing, and those sleigh rides to paradise including Transpac and Cabo.

In the city itself, you will find lots of recreational and cultural diversions, great sports teams, awesome restaurants, bars, and clubs, low prices for nearly anything you want to buy due to the global competition as one of the world's largest ports, cheap real estate when compared to income and if you consider the much lower utility and property tax costs and the eternal upward price pressure of one of the world's highest economically performing metro areas, and surprisingly high quality schools. Absolutely horrific freeways however, so get a 4x4 SUV or truck (really!). 

And LA is such a diverse city, few people give a shit about your politics or race in real life (maybe on Facebook or SA).

I used to work in LA a lot and *I want to move here* is a thought that NEVER crossed my mind. If you are used to the East Coast, you REALLY need to go out and see what it is like for a few weeks.

I chartered a boat in San Diego a few times to get some sailing in and it was daysailing paradise, but past that hardly anywhere to go and a shit-ton of people going there.

YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2018 at 6:00 PM, jarcher said:

I'm pretty well fed up with almost everything about living in Rhode Island. Almost all of my family has left and I'm finally feeling free to escape. The sailing here is great; it's the only thing RI has going for it. RI is expensive, cold and completely mismanaged. I'll miss my friends but they will come visit, especially in February. 

So where to go that has good sailing? I prefer to stay in the US, mostly because I still have to work for  living. Otherwise, Costa Rica would be very nice. I write computer software so I need a place where I can find a good job, keep my boat (a Beneteau 36.7) in the water year round and afford to live. I don't mind hot; air conditioning works fine. I prefer conservative politics. I think the entire west coast is out.

The most likely candidates are the Tampa, FL area or the Houston, TX area. Suggestions?

 

 

My method of operation for the past few decades has been to base out of shipyards when not on a cruise .   The ambiance is better. , its Practicle and many times cheaper . I am in a shipyard at this moment 

when looking for a hideout choose a region then look at the boatyards ...some a better than others. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, distorted humor said:

With software there is always tele-commuting. 

Not anymore, thanks to Marissa Mayer.  Worked very well for most of my career and then quickly died a horrible death in 2013, thanks to her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can telecommute half the week. The issue for many is if you can convince your boss you never need to show up, why not move all the way to India :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our entire business (hey, with 20 peeps, it seems pretty big to me...) is made up of telecommuters. ( India is a bit problematic due to time zones though)  We've got good customer response capability with people in every time zone (US).  We have great people we couldn't otherwise attract.  Nope, telecommuting is not dead!  No cost for a building either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check out Sarasota......bay is big enough for day sailing and the Gulf is accessible out several passes...beautiful upscale city....Florida is filling up fast and is losing its unique flavor....inland everything looks the same....the older established neighborhoods have a nice feel and most are close to the coast...possible dock age behind some very nice homes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are trying to avoid high tax, badly managed states then do not come to California, we are the poster child for these states.  We have had boats on the East Coast of Florida for over 15 years. Taxes are low and the State is pretty well run,  Good sailing in the Keys and the Bahamas, but it is hot and humid off the water in the late spring and summer, we got used to it.  We also like Charleston, great town and pretty good sailing with lots of gunkholing potential.  

Do not know if you're interested in racing, did not mention it as a criteria, but Miami has pretty good racing, as does Charleston.

As for fees, if the boat is a documented vessel, then there is no titling fee.  Registration fees are not that much of a 37' boat, if you have an EPIRB less than $60/year. https://www.flhsmv.gov/motor-vehicles-tags-titles/vessels/vessel-titling-registrations/   So the question is use tax, not sure if you have to pay it when moving to Florida and bringing your boat.  You could call a lawyer or broker in Florida and find out.  In my experience use tax requires the payment of what is effectively sales tax on boats purchased by state residents in an out of state sale when they bring the boat into the state.  Not sure if Florida's use tax applies to purchases by non residents who later relocate to Florida and bring their boat with them.   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2018 at 9:00 AM, jarcher said:

I'm pretty well fed up with almost everything about living in Rhode Island. Almost all of my family has left and I'm finally feeling free to escape. The sailing here is great; it's the only thing RI has going for it. RI is expensive, cold and completely mismanaged. I'll miss my friends but they will come visit, especially in February. 

So where to go that has good sailing? I prefer to stay in the US, mostly because I still have to work for  living. Otherwise, Costa Rica would be very nice. I write computer software so I need a place where I can find a good job, keep my boat (a Beneteau 36.7) in the water year round and afford to live. I don't mind hot; air conditioning works fine. I prefer conservative politics. I think the entire west coast is out.

The most likely candidates are the Tampa, FL area or the Houston, TX area. Suggestions?

 

 

Go where you can make the big  bucks. Probably somewhere out side the USA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you don't have ties, why limit yourself to one location?    Pick a summer spot up north ( NW Michigan is awfully nice in the summers) and a nice spot south (need to be south of Sarasota or so for reliable nice winter weather), find a good job in one of the two spots, buy a really nice big RV and a second fun boat (still less than a house without real estate taxes) and be where it's nice, all the time.   I employ many developers and would be fine with someone good and reliable who was around half the year- that's enough to stay connected, tuned up with the team, etc. 

That's the American Dream. 

PS,  hate to break it to you, but the party interested in preserving institutions and incremental change is the Democratic Party.   The GOP is now a party of revolutionary nihilists who would rather burn it down than share power.   A working duopoly is the best form of government- dynamic enough to compete globally,  with enough choice to provide consent of the governed.  A multi-party democracy sucks ass.   Instead, y'all want a one-party corporate state like China.  That ain't conservative fella.   

 

  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2018 at 12:00 PM, jarcher said:

I'm pretty well fed up with almost everything about living in Rhode Island. Almost all of my family has left and I'm finally feeling free to escape. The sailing here is great; it's the only thing RI has going for it. RI is expensive, cold and completely mismanaged. I'll miss my friends but they will come visit, especially in February. 

So where to go that has good sailing? I prefer to stay in the US, mostly because I still have to work for  living. Otherwise, Costa Rica would be very nice. I write computer software so I need a place where I can find a good job, keep my boat (a Beneteau 36.7) in the water year round and afford to live. I don't mind hot; air conditioning works fine. I prefer conservative politics. I think the entire west coast is out.

The most likely candidates are the Tampa, FL area or the Houston, TX area. Suggestions?

 

 

Don’t do it Jim...you will regret it. Trust Vinny from Cranston on this one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oriental, North Carolina is a very pleasant, small coastal town with an active sailing community. It's about a 3 hour drive from the Research Triangle area,  which is loaded with tech companies. I'm not sure about the racing, but it's great for daysailing and cruising.

Steam Flyer can tell you more about it.

N.C. has generally been a well run state under Dems and GOPs. I have not been happy with some recent GOP signature legislation (Voter ID, Gender ID/Bathroom Bill, Gerrymandering) and the courts haven't either. I believe things will change in that regard, however, the state has been more moderate than many others, and has been fiscally sound under Dems and GOPs.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, bluelaser2 said:

If you don't have ties, why limit yourself to one location?    Pick a summer spot up north ( NW Michigan is awfully nice in the summers) and a nice spot south (need to be south of Sarasota or so for reliable nice winter weather), find a good job in one of the two spots, buy a really nice big RV and a second fun boat (still less than a house without real estate taxes) and be where it's nice, all the time.   I employ many developers and would be fine with someone good and reliable who was around half the year- that's enough to stay connected, tuned up with the team, etc. 

That's the American Dream. 

PS,  hate to break it to you, but the party interested in preserving institutions and incremental change is the Democratic Party.   The GOP is now a party of revolutionary nihilists who would rather burn it down than share power.   A working duopoly is the best form of government- dynamic enough to compete globally,  with enough choice to provide consent of the governed.  A multi-party democracy sucks ass.   Instead, y'all want a one-party corporate state like China.  That ain't conservative fella.   

 

Take it to PA.

  • Like 2
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mark Set (BIMBO Local 713) said:
On 1/12/2018 at 10:25 PM, By the lee said:

Oh yeah, you'll just looooooooooove Texas....

https://www.counterpunch.org/2018/01/12/bigger-in-texas/print/

what is this garbage? no insight at all about Texas, just shit-talk.

Bullshit.  That little essay says a GREAT DEAL about Texas that is absolutely true.  The OP set the political tone here with his statement about requirements: "I prefer conservative politics. I think the entire west coast is out".  Based on that criteria, large parts of Texas fit his bill, provided he avoids the big cities:

Quote

Last November, Hillary Clinton secured more than 54% of the vote in Dallas, Houston, Austin and San Antonio, even though Donald Trump won Texas easily.
(source)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, ProaSailor said:

Bullshit.  That little essay says a GREAT DEAL about Texas that is absolutely true.  The OP set the political tone here with his statement about requirements: "I prefer conservative politics. I think the entire west coast is out".  Based on that criteria, large parts of Texas fit his bill, provided he avoids the big cities:

 

uuh, he specifically mentioned Houston. Im sure you two know so much about Texas living in PNW.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mark Set (BIMBO Local 713) said:

uuh, he specifically mentioned Houston. Im sure you two know so much about Texas living in PNW.

Glad I could help him avoid Houston as he wouldn't be happy there.  He probably didn't know that Hillary got 54% of the vote in Harris county (Houston).  Nearby Galveston and Chambers counties though, and that entire coastline all the way to Corpus Christi is red so there MUST be conservative sailors there?  No reason to move to a blue area if a little research can easily avoid that unpleasantry.

texas.png.9343032ca66d13f3c1dc8a00271404d3.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, ProaSailor said:

Glad I could help him avoid Houston as he wouldn't be happy there.  He probably didn't know that Hillary got 54% of the vote in Harris county (Houston).  Nearby Galveston and Chambers counties though, and that entire coastline all the way to Corpus Christi is red so there MUST be conservative sailors there?  No reason to move to a blue area if a little research can easily avoid that unpleasantry.

 

Thanks for confirming that everything you know about Texas comes from election results.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mark Set (BIMBO Local 713) said:

Thanks for confirming that everything you know about Texas comes from election results.

Have to bust your bubble on that one, brother.  Not true.  Thanks for your demonstration of faulty reasoning, which confirms something...  The political responses in this thread, while half in jest, are a direct response to the criteria specified in the OP.  Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe you need to see this before you decide if you want to sail in Alabama. 2016

Image result for alabama county by county election results 2016

   At least some Alabamians have wised up since then and we elected a Democrat over a loose cannon Republican Judge Moore. If Moore has won I would probably be on my boat sailing back to the Islands now.

Pres-and-Senate.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's nice fellow in Mobile who just renovated an H-Boat. 'Bama can't be all bad.;)

Seriously, the OP says he prefers conservative politics. That does not mean he supports extreme right wing policies. Labels are dangerous.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a guy on Mobile Bay who may be the same one with the H-boat who had redone a couple of Dragons but after a few years keeping them bright finished for the local wooden boat show has taken them to Maine or someplace to preserve the varnish. Don't move here is you insist on flawless varnish on your boat! 

Image result for cruising dragon sail boat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Mark Set (BIMBO Local 713) said:

Thanks for confirming that everything you know about Texas comes from election results.

Everything he knows comes out of a Rhino plug-in.

5 hours ago, Bull City said:

Oriental, North Carolina is a very pleasant, small coastal town with an active sailing community. It's about a 3 hour drive from the Research Triangle area,  which is loaded with tech companies. I'm not sure about the racing, but it's great for daysailing and cruising.

Steam Flyer can tell you more about it.

N.C. has generally been a well run state under Dems and GOPs. I have not been happy with some recent GOP signature legislation (Voter ID, Gender ID/Bathroom Bill, Gerrymandering) and the courts haven't either. I believe things will change in that regard, however, the state has been more moderate than many others, and has been fiscally sound under Dems and GOPs.

 

The NC coast is fantastic, and the state itself is one of the most interesting political and social and geographical places anywhere. I've been all over the state, bike touring the Blue Ridge Parkway, kayaking the Nantahala, sailing, and hanging out around Nags Head. Ashville is one of the coolest mid-sized towns in the country. I haven't made it to Oriental yet, but it's on the list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites