George Dewey

I've had it with Rhode Island - Where to go?

16 hours ago, Vin said:

Don’t do it Jim...you will regret it. Trust Vinny from Cranston on this one. 

Vin I'll probably still be around in the spring, can I come crew for you once or twice? I'm still trying to learn how these big boats work ;-) And everyone is always drooling over Divided Sky! 

1 hour ago, jarcher said:

You're exactly right. Some people, like those in the medical field, can find pretty good work almost anywhere but software people need to be near a city. There are work from home arrangements but not many. If I were to get such a position and for whatever reason lose it, it would be hard to replace. If I had settled somewhere remote I could be out of work for an extended period of time. 

To all these people implying I'm a racist or a science denier or whatever, simply because I prefer conservative areas, I say that I don't care what color someone's skin is in the least. It's people who make unwarranted, baseless assumptions about other people I really want to get away from. Add to that that conservative states tend to have lower taxes and I think it would be a welcome change. Yes I know, there are obnoxious people everywhere. I'm still free to pick and choose my friends. I really had no intention of launching a political debate, but I do think it's reasonable to prefer being governed by like minded people. If you are a liberal than just accept that I'm not and leave it at that.

Charleston, SC is also a nice suggestion. Pretty, friendly women are always a nice advantage!

Both of our daughters went to College of Charleston, and stayed down there permanently.  It's a terrific city, Bright and sunny much of the time.  Other than a few Medical buildings, structures were never allowed to be built any higher than the Church spires, so it's not a shadowy concrete jungle, like cities with tall buildings everywhere.  Racing is nearly year round, and Race Week is supposed to be a great event.  Younger daughter is an active racer, and had me hooked up with a crew position, 2 years ago, but I had to bail at the last minute for a family medical situation.  Hope to make it one of these years, and tick it off my Bucket List.  EDIT, as to the "friendly women" comment above, IIRC the ration of women to men was  2 to 1, at C of C, and in general, most of the people are warm, friendly and very polite.  "Southern Hospitality", is NOT an Oxymoron, in general!!  We are extremely fortunate, in that our Son-in-Law to be in,  in May, has a family house on Sullivans Island, owned by his Mom and his 6 Aunts and Uncles, that the family only uses in the summer months.  So we get to stay there during the winter, where the back porch looks out on Fort Sumter, and the lower bay, and we watch all the ships coming and going, just a half mile off the beach.

1 hour ago, Bull City said:

Seriously, the OP says he prefers conservative politics. That does not mean he supports extreme right wing policies. Labels are dangerous.

Thank you!

13 minutes ago, WHK said:

Come on over to Borden Light Marina in Fall Riviera - best rates on Narragansett Bay.  We have 3 J/109s on the hard there along with a Bene 40.7.  They have plenty of room.  You can do your own bottom prep and paint.  I think you can shrink wrap yourself too, but am not 100% positive on that because I have a canvass cover.  I know they don't allow outside contractors without them registering at the office and showing a liability / workmans comp insurance policy.  I'll send you an email with contact info.

A friend of mine suggested that, but too late. The boat was already wrapped and the ice had formed. I wish I had known earlier, but at this point I don't see how I could move her. Greenwich Bay really is frozen...

2 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

Next you will be telling us you were made into a Naval Aviator without going to Pensacola?! Corpus Christi? 

Advanced at VT 21, NAS Kingsville. 

4 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

Maybe you need to see this before you decide if you want to sail in Alabama. 2016

Image result for alabama county by county election results 2016

At least some Alabamians have wised up since then and we elected a Democrat over a loose cannon Republican Judge Moore. If Moore has won I would probably be on my boat sailing back to the Islands now.

Pres-and-Senate.png

Bama literally gave its left nut to be rid of Roy Moore.

You mentioned the guys talking about Vancouver, yet this is the first time I have noticed the word. Too: Which Vancouver are you referring to? This is the second reference to the left coast, from someone in the far East. The other was about Puget Sound. I wonder if either of yuse are familiar with the area.

I know nothing about the East, or Texas, which is why I have nothing to say about it.

Unkle Krusty

Been in Charleston for 4 years. Great spring winter fall sailing July August u can't get on a boat before 9pm. but night sailing is fun. I even sailed today at 43 degrees. Had harbor to myself and my hot chocolate. 

1 hour ago, Unkle Crusty said:

You mentioned the guys talking about Vancouver, yet this is the first time I have noticed the word. Too: Which Vancouver are you referring to? This is the second reference to the left coast, from someone in the far East. The other was about Puget Sound. I wonder if either of yuse are familiar with the area.

I know nothing about the East, or Texas, which is why I have nothing to say about it.

Unkle Krusty

Vancouver was mentioned in posts 48 and 50, and there was just a little discussion about BC overall. But that's not an option for me.

4 hours ago, jarcher said:

How much do they charge?

And yup, it's frozen solid. And it's only mid January... And I am not going to miss that at all.

The tax is a one off 6% which is only a deal if you stick around.

My boat is in Brewers Cowesett. They let you paint your own bottom.

Wilmington, NC has Wrightsville Beach and 20-30 mins to Ocean sailing and a strong dingy fleet at  CYC.  Southport 30 mins drive south has inshore sailing and a strong phrf fleet with a very complex and fun river tidal current mix.  RTP is 2.5 hrs N.

38 minutes ago, savoir said:

The tax is a one off 6% which is only a deal if you stick around.

My boat is in Brewers Cowesett. They let you paint your own bottom.

Yeah he told me I could paint it but he was questionable on sanding. But I have to do some keel repair. 

Vancouver was mentioned in posts 48 and 50, and there was just a little discussion about BC overall. But that's not an option for me.

There is a Vancouver, WA. That chunk of the country seems tech-friendly but very lib. If you got really lucky, you could find work in the San Juans. 

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 12:00 PM, jarcher said:

I'm pretty well fed up with almost everything about living in Rhode Island. Almost all of my family has left and I'm finally feeling free to escape. The sailing here is great; it's the only thing RI has going for it. RI is expensive, cold and completely mismanaged. I'll miss my friends but they will come visit, especially in February. 

So where to go that has good sailing? I prefer to stay in the US, mostly because I still have to work for  living. Otherwise, Costa Rica would be very nice. I write computer software so I need a place where I can find a good job, keep my boat (a Beneteau 36.7) in the water year round and afford to live. I don't mind hot; air conditioning works fine. I prefer conservative politics. I think the entire west coast is out.

The most likely candidates are the Tampa, FL area or the Houston, TX area. Suggestions?

If Florida Davis Island Yacht Club is the place. Might take a while to get a slip, there is a waiting list, but it is a club that sailing and racing is #1. Dues and slip fees are low, there is good competition, and if you like smaller boats on occasion you can find your choice through the winter months with Midwinters and other regatta all over the state.

I think Tampa's tech sector is growing, while probably behind a ways compared to a lot of areas I know of several in that field around the club. And no state income taxes.

edit: the 7'3" draft is tight in the bay but we've done it with 7'-6" draft on a Tripp 40 and 1D35. You get to know the low spots and where to go and not go. We can give you the overview if you come this way.

57 minutes ago, jarcher said:

Yeah he told me I could paint it but he was questionable on sanding. But I have to do some keel repair. 

So use one of those dust sucker thingies. Not hard.

Next April there will be guys all over the yard repairing keels.

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

There is a Vancouver, WA. That chunk of the country seems tech-friendly but very lib. If you got really lucky, you could find work in the San Juans. 

the liberal of PDX tapers off very quickly after the couv. the WA side has middle of the range SALT tax burden.

Is it governance OP, or social identity? Governance you can find non-liberal places. Social identity might be more difficult.

59 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

the liberal of PDX tapers off very quickly after the couv. the WA side has middle of the range SALT tax burden.

Is it governance OP, or social identity? Governance you can find non-liberal places. Social identity might be more difficult.

I'm sorry, I'm a Canadian. Do you have an approved translation for that?

I'm in the part that still speaks English, tabernac!

You should go to Charleston.

Why not get on a boat for Charleston Race Week this April, and make some new friends?

8 hours ago, ~HHN92~ said:

edit: the 7'3" draft is tight in the bay

True for Tampa Bay, Biscayne Bay, and Charlotte Harbor. Prohibitive in Sarasota Bay.

9 hours ago, jarcher said:

I'd whack about 2' off of it before bringing it to Florida.

11 hours ago, jarcher said:

Wait until after your first season on Tampa Bay...

40 minutes ago, ~HHN92~ said:

Wait until after your first season on Tampa Bay...

It seems most places with great sailing are shallow. Well I guess we have to be able to set marks somehow! Greenwich Bay is pretty shallow as well, so I have practice. 

Go anywhere you want. In short order you will decide that place sucks too. Sure is terrible that you couldn't find place cheap enough to store your yacht in the first week of December.  Crimea River.

I have yet to see a place where the government isn't corrupt according to someone.  In the US right now, the majority doesn't give a shit, and the rest are split 50:50 on irreconcilable, but irrelevant issues. Dysfunctistan. The majority want things to stay about as they were last week, because they know how that turned out, and it was OK even if it wasn't great.

SHC

• Like 1

It seems most places with great sailing are shallow. Well I guess we have to be able to set marks somehow! Greenwich Bay is pretty shallow as well, so I have practice. 

The Chesapeake is shallow, but you can get by with the draft that you have. You just won't be able to play the shallows the way some of the shallower boats do when racing and you won't be able to get as deep into the gunkholes when cruising.

37 minutes ago, Steve Clark said:

Go anywhere you want. In short order you will decide that place sucks too. Sure is terrible that you couldn't find place cheap enough to store your yacht in the first week of December.  Crimea River.

I have yet to see a place where the government isn't corrupt according to someone.  In the US right now, the majority doesn't give a shit, and the rest are split 50:50 on irreconcilable, but irrelevant issues. Dysfunctistan. The majority want things to stay about as they were last week, because they know how that turned out, and it was OK even if it wasn't great.

SHC

Steve, 

I did a double take on your reference to 'Crimea RIver'. Turns out to actually mean something.

Charleston has a pretty solid, and growing, tech / software community.  Blackbaud, headquartered on Daniel Island, started it all, but there are enough other tech-driven firms there (BenefitFocus, also smaller ones - something like 250 and >10k jobs in total - see the linked article) that you could land something.  There's also the growing high-skill industrial base (Boeing, Volvo, Mercedes, Bosch) that is probably looking for programmers too.  It's a very business-friendly state, thanks to the efforts of business leaders and political leaders like former governor Haley. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/2017/07/29/silicon-harbor-has-become-tech-landing-spot-some-weary-city-dwellers/481879001/

You've got a deep draft boat and even though folks 'can' sail them in 'some' places in the south, you'll be changing boats pretty quick and few locals will be interested.  Life is too short to worry much about whether you're in a red or blue region.  Me?  I like potentially sailing year round and not having lobster pots to contend with.  I shrug and move on to other pages when I see something about polar vortexes and weather bombs.  Sure, we get a cold day or three (you know, mebbe 28-30 deg F in the morning), it's a bit darker and damper than I like about this time of the year but we've got a thousand mile long cruising area, deep water and no state income tax....

PNW worked for this former State of Mainer.  (btw, all our people work from home in the software biz so it's a 'thing')

15 hours ago, jarcher said:

Post 48 says do not go to Vancouver Island. Post 50 by me comments on that, again about Vancouver Island, and mentions you will not  consider it as you are from the US. Vancouver is on the mainland. Vancouver Island is not. They are two different places, and quite different. Vancouver is above the 49th. A big chunk of Vancouver Isalnd is below the 49th. Some of the Microsoft folk work from the US Gulf Island. San Juan, Orcas, Whidbey, and a bunch of others. These Islands and Annacortes and Bellingham, are not far from major large areas of hi tech and manufacturing.

Ishmael has alluded to my point. On the bottom left of WA, is Vancouver Washington. So you see why I am wondering if some ( not Ishmael ) are not familiar with the area.

Unkle Krusty

21 hours ago, Mark Set (BIMBO Local 713) said:

Cool! My grandfather was an instructor there, but that was in the 50's. The water is beautiful down there, we've taken family vacations to Padre Island and I'm always amazed at how clear the water in Laguna Madre is. 

And all of the tar balls and glossy sheen on the brown colored water along with the stench of crude oil on the other side of Padre lsland?  I guess that's beautiful too if you like the smell of money.  Unless you are sailing a Snark or Sunfish, the water in Laguna Madre is mighty thin.  But out in the Gulf, that oil floating  is might hard on the white gel coat.  What to do, what to do.  So much coastline, so few places to sail.  Might as well go to Canyon Lake, at least the water is a little cooler than bathwater there.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

And all of the tar balls and glossy sheen on the brown colored water along with the stench of crude oil on the other side of Padre lsland?  I guess that's beautiful too if you like the smell of money.  Unless you are sailing a Snark or Sunfish, the water in Laguna Madre is mighty thin.  But out in the Gulf, that oil floating  is might hard on the white gel coat.  What to do, what to do.  So much coastline, so few places to sail.  Might as well go to Canyon Lake, at least the water is a little cooler than bathwater there.

clueless. Ive found more tar on beaches in Florida than in Texas. When i was on Padre for a week last spring the water was too cold to swim in for me. Why you people have to talk so much shit? Fuck off troll.

• Downvote 1

On 1/12/2018 at 7:00 AM, jarcher said:

I'm pretty well fed up with almost everything about living in Rhode Island. Almost all of my family has left and I'm finally feeling free to escape. The sailing here is great; it's the only thing RI has going for it. RI is expensive, cold and completely mismanaged. I'll miss my friends but they will come visit, especially in February. 

So where to go that has good sailing? I prefer to stay in the US, mostly because I still have to work for  living. Otherwise, Costa Rica would be very nice. I write computer software so I need a place where I can find a good job, keep my boat (a Beneteau 36.7) in the water year round and afford to live. I don't mind hot; air conditioning works fine. I prefer conservative politics. I think the entire west coast is out.

The most likely candidates are the Tampa, FL area or the Houston, TX area. Suggestions?

Tampa is one of the most liberal cities in FL.   Stick to TX or inland lakes of the midwest.  Perhaps Gulf Coast of Louisiana. 

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 12:00 PM, jarcher said:

Havanna, youre frendes y familey wille alle come downe to see you.                  :)

On 1/16/2018 at 8:27 AM, jarcher said:

I hunted around for somewhere that (1) still had space and (2) could handle a boat with a 7ft 3 inch draft and found just one choice; A Brewers marina in Warwick Cove. They seemed competent so I made arrangements to bring her there but then found out that they won't let anyone else shrink wrap the boat and they won't let me do any work on the bottom in the Spring.

It's been almost six years since I last dealt with Brewer's in Warwick (I used to live on Greenwich bay and keep my boat at EGYC, but in latter years hauled at Brewers since EGYC couldn't handle our boat), but those both sound like changes in policy. The general rule was they HAD to let you use your own contractors, but they were within their rights to require proof of insurance and environmental certification and deny anyone that couldn't provide it. Maybe that has changed, but I thought that was a legal issue that required them to do that in RI. I could be wrong of course, I frequently am.

I also believe they've had some management and/or ownership changes since I was last there, so that could explain it too.

51 minutes ago, Mark Set (BIMBO Local 713) said:

clueless. Ive found more tar on beaches in Florida than in Texas. When i was on Padre for a week last spring the water was too cold to swim in for me. Why you people have to talk so much shit? Fuck off troll.

Oh, so you spent a week on the island and you think you know all about it?  Sure, whatever.

If you love Texas, fine, you aren't the only one but what the fuck are you so fucking sensitive for?  It's not like I'm insulting your mother.  It's a fucking state for fucks sake.  Harden the fuck up you little wilting yellow fucking rose.

• Downvote 1

34 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

It's been almost six years since I last dealt with Brewer's in Warwick (I used to live on Greenwich bay and keep my boat at EGYC, but in latter years hauled at Brewers since EGYC couldn't handle our boat), but those both sound like changes in policy. The general rule was they HAD to let you use your own contractors, but they were within their rights to require proof of insurance and environmental certification and deny anyone that couldn't provide it. Maybe that has changed, but I thought that was a legal issue that required them to do that in RI. I could be wrong of course, I frequently am.

I also believe they've had some management and/or ownership changes since I was last there, so that could explain it too.

My understanding is that the Brewers places will require you to use their shrink wrap people, which was a concern for me because I have a guy I know and trust, and wanted him to do it. As for contractors, I'm not sure I remember if it was that they are not permitted or they are permitted (with proof of insurance and such) but Brewers than applies a fee for each hour they work on site. I absolutely don't mind a contractor providing proof of insurance and such but attaching an addition fee is a bridge too far.

Before anyone jumps on me if I made a mistake, this is the situation as best I recall. I was doing this all very quickly and juggling a few oher things so I may have missed something.

The wet storage at Dickerson's includes a haul in the spring and they will let me do whatever I need to do, with the help of anyone I choose.  

Someone in RI proposed a law that would require marinas to allow outside contractors but it never got out of committee. As far as I know in RI it's legal for a marina to require you to use their people.

I live in Hampton Roads and love it. Warm summers but tolerable, and mild winters. Not a ton of SW jobs but some. I have employees in Pensacola and am told that Navy Federal Credit Union is opening a location there that will bring maybe 20,000 IT jobs...they are sucking up the entire IT workforce and need a lot more.  Great quality of life there - everyone I know loves it and never leaves - but I can't comment on the sailing scene. I suspect you'd want something with less draft. 

On 1/12/2018 at 6:34 PM, ropetrick said:

Charleston, South Carolina.  Very good racing scene. Great food.

If you are single, the prettiest friendliest women anywhere.

Second that, July & August get too hot & humid to sail mid day, then we have Wed evening races, Charleston race week is the biggest regatta in the country in April.

4.5 people per day moving to the Charleston tricounty area, Boeing has large facility here building the Dreamliner and Volvo is building a new auto assembly factory here,

MB expanding facility for Transit vans, lots of new working opportunity.AZ_0004_Drummer.jpg.ac30960b8852b6fac681e6b50c4dbd6b.jpg

4 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

Tampa is one of the most liberal cities in FL.   Stick to TX or inland lakes of the midwest.  Perhaps Gulf Coast of Louisiana. 

Huh? I think we are behind Miami for sure if not others.

Oh yeah, our Thursday Night races start March 29 and run through late October, then Full Moon races on the Thursday nearest the day. Year round activity, full racing season starts with the Labor Day Night race and finishes with the Ft. Myers race Memorial Day weekend. Sunday races every other week. Check the DIYC calendar here: 

http://www.diyc.org/calendar/?ai1ec=action~agenda|cat_ids~2 

The biggest problem is figuring out when you have time to pull your boat to get the bottom freshened-up, not about shrink-wrapping for the winter.

3 hours ago, jarcher said:

My understanding is that the Brewers places will require you to use their shrink wrap people, which was a concern for me because I have a guy I know and trust, and wanted him to do it. As for contractors, I'm not sure I remember if it was that they are not permitted or they are permitted (with proof of insurance and such) but Brewers than applies a fee for each hour they work on site. I absolutely don't mind a contractor providing proof of insurance and such but attaching an addition fee is a bridge too far.

Before anyone jumps on me if I made a mistake, this is the situation as best I recall. I was doing this all very quickly and juggling a few oher things so I may have missed something.

The wet storage at Dickerson's includes a haul in the spring and they will let me do whatever I need to do, with the help of anyone I choose.  

Someone in RI proposed a law that would require marinas to allow outside contractors but it never got out of committee. As far as I know in RI it's legal for a marina to require you to use their people.

Brewers Cowesett does not require you to use their people but they might reject a contractor they don't like.  I have been there three years and they have never charged me a fee for a contractor. They can haul up to 55 ft.

The place was sold a year ago but so far nothing has changed. Nortons is the one that has changed. By next April they will have all new docks and showers. This is reflected in much higher fees.

7 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

3 hours ago, ~HHN92~ said:

Huh? I think we are behind Miami for sure if not others.

Oh yeah, our Thursday Night races start March 29 and run through late October, then Full Moon races on the Thursday nearest the day. Year round activity, full racing season starts with the Labor Day Night race and finishes with the Ft. Myers race Memorial Day weekend. Sunday races every other week. Check the DIYC calendar here: 

http://www.diyc.org/calendar/?ai1ec=action~agenda|cat_ids~2 

The biggest problem is figuring out when you have time to pull your boat to get the bottom freshened-up, not about shrink-wrapping for the winter.

See the bolded above.   Didn't say ONLY, or THE MOST without qualifier of ONE OF.   Yes, Miami and Tampa are liberal cities.   Probably Orlando and Key West too if I recall.  Ironic that most of the best sailing spots are liberal.  

4 hours ago, savoir said:

Brewers Cowesett does not require you to use their people but they might reject a contractor they don't like.  I have been there three years and they have never charged me a fee for a contractor. They can haul up to 55 ft.

The place was sold a year ago but so far nothing has changed. Nortons is the one that has changed. By next April they will have all new docks and showers. This is reflected in much higher fees.

Yeah, I suspect the reason Dickerson's filled up was because of the Prime acquisition of Norton's and the subsequent price hikes. 

7 hours ago, savoir said:

Cheap  "do it yourself "  yards attract the wrong type of client.   Flee bags, abandonded boats.  Nothing worse than to be hauled out next to a flee bag who is making a big mess and this big mess is polluting your work  Better to stick with a pro full service place.

the work cycle of a pro yard is high season,  low season.  Feast and famine.  If you schedule maintance during low season , the rates are low.  I regularly have yards approach me for low season work...they give the labor away at cost .

Its the same with dockage inside the shipyard...high season..you pay thru the nose. 

Every yard  every region has a diffent work cycle...the only way to find out is to ask 

in general a yards big money maker is antifouling.  Be careful about approaching a yard, eliminating this moneymaker from the equation...then asking for a good deal . 

4 hours ago, jarcher said:

Yeah, I suspect the reason Dickerson's filled up was because of the Prime acquisition of Norton's and the subsequent price hikes. 

Nortons promptly cleared out all the riff raff which means most of the boats under 30 ft. That kind of backfired on them. Last time I was there I counted 16 empty moorings and there should be quite a few vacant slips on the new dock next summer.

On 1/15/2018 at 4:42 PM, jarcher said:

Vin I'll probably still be around in the spring, can I come crew for you once or twice? I'm still trying to learn how these big boats work ;-) And everyone is always drooling over Divided Sky! 

Of course! We have a pretty fun schedule ahead of us this year. I will ping you off-line.

So back to RI...

Rhody is going through a bit of a change right now and it is going to take a while to sort things out. Follow Angus Davis on Twitter...he is a brilliant businessman (and a local sailor) and has some great insights on what is going on in our state and things that have to happen. His musings tend to separate the wheat from the chaff and he is spot on 99.9 percent of the time. Check in with WHK too...if there is anyone in RI who knows the pulse of the job market WRT the defense industry on Aquidneck Island it is probably him. Sort of off-topic, I had the opportunity to attend the year long Leadership RI core-curriculum back in 2015. I had the same "I am outta here" attitude as you and was not very positive on the state of the state. My motivations for attending were many and I left learning a tremendous amount of information about what is going on around the state and the region and - believe it or not - there are a lot of things to be positive about relative to the job market, investment in the tech sector - especially around Providence. Aside from the talk radio noise about the goings on up at Smith Hill, Rhode Island is an amazing place to live, work, and raise a family. 

The west bay has taken a little different of a shape over the last couple years too. I was considering pulling the Summit at Prime this year as I had a last minute issue with the boat being pulled at EGYC (I took my engine out to repaint) and I could not get it over to Brewers Cowesett. Two words: sticker shock. I know we pay a premium over at Brewers but prime was asking about 10 percent more for the same services. Luckily EGYC could pull the boat adequately and there she sits...otherwise its Brewers for all of the go-fast stuff. She's going back next fall for a full bottom job. Yeah...I am not surprised that things opened up a bit at Prime. Then again, they are not going for the crowd that was at Nortons before.

7 hours ago, savoir said:

Nortons promptly cleared out all the riff raff which means most of the boats under 30 ft. That kind of backfired on them. Last time I was there I counted 16 empty moorings and there should be quite a few vacant slips on the new dock next summer.

That's what I have been told by several self-described "refugees" of Nortons, now Prime. Given what they are now charging, they may very well still be ahead even with the loss of a bunch of boats.  

18 hours ago, O25 dude said:

I live in Hampton Roads and love it. Warm summers but tolerable, and mild winters. Not a ton of SW jobs but some. I have employees in Pensacola and am told that Navy Federal Credit Union is opening a location there that will bring maybe 20,000 IT jobs...they are sucking up the entire IT workforce and need a lot more.  Great quality of life there - everyone I know loves it and never leaves - but I can't comment on the sailing scene. I suspect you'd want something with less draft. 

Navy Federal in Pensacola has been growing at an astounding rate. Was pretty much out in the sticks of West Pensacola but their campus growth has caused lots of residential developments and the accompaning retail areas to spring up like mushrooms after a rain. Our soaring club was less that a mile from Navy Federal and all the parking lots and rooftops created a nice 'house thermal'. Club has now moved further west into Alabama but is further from the waterfront. When the seabreeze moves inland it messes up the thermals so the new field out in the turf farms is probably better in that respect and further from the Class C airspace of Pensacola Regional. Still have to look out for all the Navy training flights which are all over the whole county. The seabreeze makes for good sailing further down at the beaches.

On 1/13/2018 at 12:22 AM, savoir said:

At least the Florida tax is only one off, not annual like CT.

CT only collects a registration fee every year. No property tax. They collect sales tax on boat sales but not sure how they handle a transfer from another state.

If anyone wants a deal on a mooring in the West Bay for 2018 I reckon Nortons might just come around. They can't keep chasing customers away. Be ready to pay for the summer in one hit and they might do a deal or chances are most of the new slips will sit empty too. Their plan is to turn the place into a resort and so far there is quite a bit of resistance.

Krusty, I don't live in Ontario by choice but for family reasons, lived and sailed on Vancouver Island and area in the 80's before sailing away, keep my new to me boat in Sydney.  Am quite familiar with BC and posted my advice not to go there with tongue firmly in cheek.  Too bad you didn't recognize that.

On 1/16/2018 at 10:28 AM, Unkle Crusty said:

Post 48 says do not go to Vancouver Island. Post 50 by me comments on that, again about Vancouver Island, and mentions you will not  consider it as you are from the US. Vancouver is on the mainland. Vancouver Island is not. They are two different places, and quite different. Vancouver is above the 49th. A big chunk of Vancouver Isalnd is below the 49th. Some of the Microsoft folk work from the US Gulf Island. San Juan, Orcas, Whidbey, and a bunch of others. These Islands and Annacortes and Bellingham, are not far from major large areas of hi tech and manufacturing.

Ishmael has alluded to my point. On the bottom left of WA, is Vancouver Washington. So you see why I am wondering if some ( not Ishmael ) are not familiar with the area.

Unkle Krusty

As someone who lives in Boston but works in PVD, I wholly empathize with much of OP's sentiments.  I'm getting tired of winter but don't have as mobile a job.  Slowly working on convincing my wife that maybe we want to start our family someplace warmer.  Best of luck to you!

17 hours ago, savoir said:

If anyone wants a deal on a mooring in the West Bay for 2018 I reckon Nortons might just come around. They can't keep chasing customers away. Be ready to pay for the summer in one hit and they might do a deal or chances are most of the new slips will sit empty too. Their plan is to turn the place into a resort and so far there is quite a bit of resistance.

I wonder of their slip prices are open to negotiation... I'm pretty happy at Dickerson's for the past 8 years but I'll probably be here until the fall and of so I might look for deeper water. I just got the 36.7 last September...

20 minutes ago, Sailing My Cubicle said:

As someone who lives in Boston but works in PVD, I wholly empathize with much of OP's sentiments.  I'm getting tired of winter but don't have as mobile a job.  Slowly working on convincing my wife that maybe we want to start our family someplace warmer.  Best of luck to you!

You live in Boston and work in Providence? Well that's sure backwards. Everyone I know, including me, does the opposite.

New Orleans and the Mississippi Gulf Coast has a ton of sailing history and is often over looked. New Orleans is fun all year round because of football, Mardi Gras and Festival seasons and The Coast is the place to be in the summer time. New Orleans is getting more expensive but coming from RI, your dollar will go far. If you chose to live on the coast you could definitely find some waterfront property to live on. Both places have plenty of yacht clubs to sail out of and facilities to keep you boat. 

I've always wondered why anyone would run for office in RI. I thought everything had already been stolen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jarcher said:

I wonder of their slip prices are open to negotiation... I'm pretty happy at Dickerson's for the past 8 years but I'll probably be here until the fall and of so I might look for deeper water. I just got the 36.7 last September...

I reckon a 36.7 might run aground approaching Dickersons at low tide. It's shallow in there.

On 1/14/2018 at 10:22 AM, SailBlueH2O said:

Check out Sarasota......bay is big enough for day sailing and the Gulf is accessible out several passes...beautiful upscale city....Florida is filling up fast and is losing its unique flavor....inland everything looks the same....the older established neighborhoods have a nice feel and most are close to the coast...possible dock age behind some very nice homes

36.7 will not fit on the bay.... our hobie 33 at 5'4 is bad enough.,

57 minutes ago, mustang__1 said:

36.7 will not fit on the bay.... our hobie 33 at 5'4 is bad enough.,

New Pass and Big Pass will not handle that now, will they? St. Pete. has deep water but does not have the sailing we have at DI.

On 1/15/2018 at 1:27 PM, jarcher said:

I'm in or the revolution! This may shock the guys talking about Vancouver but I have enough firearms to arm the revolution! Okay, not really, but I have enough that Canada won't let me in, which means I have at least one. Not that they would anyhow, they (understandably) prefer that Canadian jobs go to Canadians. Anyhow, we might be better off trying to get Prudence to succeed. I don't see Newport buying in. Quote.

A general misconception for quite a few US folk: You can not move to Canada just because you might want to. Countries like Canada do have immigration procedures. There are a few forms to complete. It used to be like that in the US. So if you get that warm fuzzy feeling that you can just move, forget it. A few hard of thinking folks attempt to cross the border with guns. I suppose some have been successful. But an awful lot get turned around and are not allowed back. Remember too, you need a passport or a NEXUS card to cross the border, both ways. Only a minority of US folks have a passport. I still have not seen where anyone was talking about Vancouver. I was there yesterday for the boat show.

Unkle Krusty

21 hours ago, jarcher said:

You live in Boston and work in Providence? Well that's sure backwards. Everyone I know, including me, does the opposite.

Yeah, I know.  But the commute is a little easier (still awful) than going the other direction.  We have a Boston office which I've been asking to be relocated to.  Each time I'm given a different answer and am not keen on re-locating to RI.  So, new year - new job time.

22 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

I've always wondered why anyone would run for office in RI. I thought everything position had already been stolen boughten.

On 1/16/2018 at 3:50 PM, Ed Lada said:

Oh, so you spent a week on the island and you think you know all about it?  Sure, whatever.

If you love Texas, fine, you aren't the only one but what the fuck are you so fucking sensitive for?  It's not like I'm insulting your mother.  It's a fucking state for fucks sake.  Harden the fuck up you little wilting yellow fucking rose.

one week? Sure pal, ive lived and worked my whole live on the Texas coast but im sure you know all about it from whatever shithole youre in.

47 minutes ago, Mark Set (BIMBO Local 713) said:

one week? Sure pal, ive lived and worked my whole live on the Texas coast but im sure you know all about it from whatever shithole youre in.

I know more about that shithole coast than you do apparently.  Maybe all the petrochemical fumes did something to your cognitive abilities. I'm sorry, I'll go easy on you, I certainly don't mock those with disabilities out of their control.

On 1/18/2018 at 8:16 PM, ~HHN92~ said:

New Pass and Big Pass will not handle that now, will they? St. Pete. has deep water but does not have the sailing we have at DI.

Not below high tide lol. Right now we're having trouble even getting out to the end of the channel since this Summer's storms lol

On January 16, 2018 at 12:36 PM, Ed Lada said:

The tar balls were described in the journals of Cabeza De Baca. The Arawaks used the tar to seal their canoes. Offshore platforms are not allowed to wash their decks without capturing and cleaning water, and are required to capture and clean rain runoff. 

You know nothing rather aggressively.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

The tar balls were described in the journals of Cabeza De Baca. The Arawaks used the tar to seal their canoes. Offshore platforms are not allowed to wash their decks without capturing and cleaning water, and are required to capture and clean rain runoff. 

You know nothing rather aggressively.

I do, it's true.

On the other hand, no pun intended but the oil industry's hands aren't exactly clean.  And if it weren't for at least some regulation, they would be much worse.  I understand the oil business was very good to you and that's cool but I want to believe that makes you a little biased.  The tar balls aren't the only problem with the Texas Gulf coast, any beach to me is beautiful but I have seen far, far nicer beaches in other places in the world.  The one good thing I will say is the large areas that aren't developed at all or not overdeveloped are quiet.  

OK, I lied, the pun was intended.

All the rivers that flow to the Gulf turn and go down the coast to Mexico.  If you fly over NOLA on a clear day the gulf is bright blue on the FL side and dirty brown on the other. It's why the water and the beaches get cleaner and clearer the further south you go. The Mississippi puts out one hell of a lot of mud and trash that all floats our way.  Add in the Sabine, Trinity, Brazos and Colorado and that is tons of stuff.  I know you spent some time in Texas but some of us have lived here much longer.  I promise not to lecture about Poland. 

5 hours ago, d'ranger said:

All the rivers that flow to the Gulf turn and go down the coast to Mexico.  If you fly over NOLA on a clear day the gulf is bright blue on the FL side and dirty brown on the other. It's why the water and the beaches get cleaner and clearer the further south you go. The Mississippi puts out one hell of a lot of mud and trash that all floats our way.  Add in the Sabine, Trinity, Brazos and Colorado and that is tons of stuff.  I know you spent some time in Texas but some of us have lived here much longer.  I promise not to lecture about Poland. 

Have you ever been here?  The women are quite wonderful, other than that it is a little rough around the edges.  In some places, very rough.  I don't mind honest criticism at all, I have never claimed Poland is heaven on earth.  Except for the women, of course.  I lived in Texas, I would never live there again.  I would go back to San Antonio to visit friends and the Riverwalk though, that's unique and one of the nicest urban attractions I have ever seen in the US.  The Alamo, not so much.  If only the Riverwalk weren't deep in the heart of Texas... ;)

On 1/20/2018 at 11:09 PM, Ed Lada said:

Have you ever been here?  The women are quite wonderful, other than that it is a little rough around the edges.  In some places, very rough.  I don't mind honest criticism at all, I have never claimed Poland is heaven on earth.  Except for the women, of course.  I lived in Texas, I would never live there again.  I would go back to San Antonio to visit friends and the Riverwalk though, that's unique and one of the nicest urban attractions I have ever seen in the US.  The Alamo, not so much.  If only the Riverwalk weren't deep in the heart of Texas... ;)

Ya know, I'm no demographer, but I reckon it would be pretty easy to talk some of those Polish chicks into moving to Texas...

• Like 1

Stay away from West Michigan.  This place sucks...:D

Hroth

On 1/16/2018 at 11:08 AM, jewingiv said:

Charleston has a pretty solid, and growing, tech / software community.  Blackbaud, headquartered on Daniel Island, started it all, but there are enough other tech-driven firms there (BenefitFocus, also smaller ones - something like 250 and >10k jobs in total - see the linked article) that you could land something.  There's also the growing high-skill industrial base (Boeing, Volvo, Mercedes, Bosch) that is probably looking for programmers too.  It's a very business-friendly state, thanks to the efforts of business leaders and political leaders like former governor Haley. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/2017/07/29/silicon-harbor-has-become-tech-landing-spot-some-weary-city-dwellers/481879001/

One of our daughters started at Blackbaud and moved on to two start-ups afterwards.  Son-in-law to be is still there.  Lots of HR tech happeing there.  The trains loaded with new BMW's from Spartanburg, are very long..

• Like 1

On 1/15/2018 at 3:01 PM, Bull City said:

Seriously, the OP says he prefers conservative politics. That does not mean he supports extreme right wing policies. Labels are dangerous.

+1 .   Eye would describe myself as left of center and I have voted Democrat way more often than eye have voted Republican but eye totally get the OP's motives.  Eye have lived in Connecticut all of my working life and seen local government mismanagement at its worst.  Free from career responsibilities,  eye would choose to live somewhere else with a well managed local government from either party.

Eye might prefer to live somewhere where the local population shares some common values although mostly Im proud to be an American who cares about our neighbors and thinks we have some responsibilities to others.  BUT it would be nice to have local elected officials (Dem or Rep) who take responsibility for the cost of running our community and dont abdicate every time there is a tough decision by simply increasing taxes.

22 hours ago, Grabbler said:

Ya know, I'm no demographer, but I reckon it would be pretty easy to talk some of those Polish chicks into moving to Texas...

I don't understand it but many young people I know here want to go to the US.  Most of Texas is out though, Polish people think 80 degrees is hot, they would melt at 100.  

3 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

I don't understand it but many young people I know here want to go to the US.  Most of Texas is out though, Polish people think 80 degrees is hot, they would melt at 100.  

Wase in Dublin forre 90 dagree daye, you woude of thouht it wase 115 in Yorba Linda.  The cidere wase floweng........                     :)

3 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

By your own descriptions of life in Poland, it is easy to understand why young people would want to come here.  As fucked up as the US is right now, it still has a lot more to offer, than many  other places.  The large Jet Aircraft Engine plant where I work has many, many Polish emigres working here.  Some have good paying union jobs, and some work for Contractors like I do, making Two thirds or half as much an hour less, than the union people.  The onsite cleaning company is nearly all Polish, and many of them have been here for years, but have no interest in learning the language, or interacting with people outside their own group, which puzzles me?  I always try to interact with any co-workers, and communicate and help them, if I can, but some of them have no use for, or interest in stepping outside their own small bubbles...  A Polish friend with a good job has his 2nd wife, and she refuses to try to learn english, to his frustration, and she has a hard time getting jobs because of that.  

1 hour ago, billy backstay said:

By your own descriptions of life in Poland, it is easy to understand why young people would want to come here.  As fucked up as the US is right now, it still has a lot more to offer, than many  other places.  The large Jet Aircraft Engine plant where I work has many, many Polish emigres working here.  Some have good paying union jobs, and some work for Contractors like I do, making Two thirds or half as much an hour less, than the union people.  The onsite cleaning company is nearly all Polish, and many of them have been here for years, but have no interest in learning the language, or interacting with people outside their own group, which puzzles me?  I always try to interact with any co-workers, and communicate and help them, if I can, but some of them have no use for, or interest in stepping outside their own small bubbles...  A Polish friend with a good job has his 2nd wife, and she refuses to try to learn english, to his frustration, and she has a hard time getting jobs because of that.  

I am surprised about the language thing.  I taught English here for 8 years and never lacked students.  However most of my younger students were either studying in college or planned on it.  Maybe the folks that aren't as ambitious just don't want to learn.  I would imagine some of them are just unhappy, Poland isn't paradise but I am amazed how attached to Poland most Poles are.  Many of the young folks talk about going to the US but a large number of them say that at some point they want to return home.  Many people work very hard to buy a piece of land, and it may be years before they have the money to build a house but they have their land.  They love their country and they love to have a piece of it to call their own.  Everybody has a fence or wall around their yard, no exception.  I imagine the Polish union workers there are quite happy.  The cost of living is  low but Polish wages are generally very low.  My wife was making about $1,000 a month as the principal of a music school. And she has a PhD.  Doctors here make around $30,000 a year.  I live in a small town, in the major cities the pay is higher, but so is the cost of living.

2 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Yashoo mashe BB?                                       :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

I am surprised about the language thing.  I taught English here for 8 years and never lacked students.  However most of my younger students were either studying in college or planned on it.  Maybe the folks that aren't as ambitious just don't want to learn.  I would imagine some of them are just unhappy, Poland isn't paradise but I am amazed how attached to Poland most Poles are.  Many of the young folks talk about going to the US but a large number of them say that at some point they want to return home.  Many people work very hard to buy a piece of land, and it may be years before they have the money to build a house but they have their land.  They love their country and they love to have a piece of it to call their own.  Everybody has a fence or wall around their yard, no exception.  I imagine the Polish union workers there are quite happy.  The cost of living is  low but Polish wages are generally very low.  My wife was making about $1,000 a month as the principal of a music school. And she has a PhD.  Doctors here make around $30,000 a year.  I live in a small town, in the major cities the pay is higher, but so is the cost of living.

I understand about the need to own  a piece of land and build a home as it gives one a sense of security in an uncertain world.   So uncertain, that I just renewed my State of Connecticut permit to carry a handgun.  In the 6 years since first licensed, I have yet to purchase one, and may never do so, but I will not give up that right, because who knows when things could change, and I might need to carry one to protect my family. As to owning land and a home, I am so over that!  For 30 years we had a 2500 sq. ft. home on an acre of land with a dock, several boats and cars, etc.  That was great when we were raising two daughters, and they had pretty much anything they wanted or needed.  Now, as empty nesters, nearing retirement, we are delighted to rent a small 960 sq. ft., walk-up Village apartment instead, and have no lawn to mow, or other home maintenance chores, other than 3, 10-foot flower boxes on the railings of our deck.  We just lock the door, and take off for two weeks, if we want to.  We will be happy to be renters for the rest of our lives.  But, we do own rental properties, which will provide retirement income, and that is a part time job in and of itself...

9 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Yashoo mashe BB?                                       :)

Huh?  Please translate from Snagalese to English?

11 hours ago, billy backstay said:

If you think the US is screwed up ...you should visit the rest of the world .

the brain drain is a place like Poland is severe.

THe UK exports a very sizable portion of their university graduates every year

if you threw open US borders the whole world would pile in 

23 minutes ago, slug zitski said:

If you think the US is screwed up ...you should visit the rest of the world .

the brain drain is a place like Poland is severe.

THe UK exports a very sizable portion of their university graduates every year

if you threw open US borders the whole world would pile in 

I don't need to visit anywhere, I just watch BBC News America every night, but I have to fast forward through the Somalia-Sudan segments, if Missus BB is with me.  No question that we in the USA are blessed to have been born here rather than a third-world country.  OTOH, I know people in Scandanavia who are very happy with their high taxes and cradle to grave healthcare, and free education.  I doubt that anyone from Norway wants to come here instead.....

1 minute ago, billy backstay said:

I don't need to visit anywhere, I just watch BBC News America every night, but I have to fast forward through the Somalia-Sudan segments, if Missus BB is with me.  No question that we in the USA are blessed to have been born here rather than a third-world country.  OTOH, I know people in Scandanavia who are very happy with their high taxes and cradle to grave healthcare, and free education.  I doubt that anyone from Norway wants to come here instead.....

If you look at Emigration numbers from the countries you mention,  you will be in for a surprise.

when a young kid gets educated in satelites, technology , medicine ......you name it ...they move to the US for opportunity .

the US has a very diversified, huge economy ...not just oil platforms. 

4 minutes ago, slug zitski said:

If you look at Emigration numbers from the countries you mention,  you will be in for a surprise.

when a young kid gets educated in satelites, technology , medicine ......you name it ...they move to the US for opportunity .

the US has a very diversified, huge economy ...not just oil platforms. 

True, but the US has a tremendous disparity between the haves, and have-nots, something you don't find in Norway or Denmark.  There the Garbage truck driver lives between the Doctor and the Lawyer and their kids are all peers in school. That is NOT a bad thing, IMHO.....

Actually if you study it closley you will be in for another surprise.

the big difference is the amount of free stuff . When you recalculate ,  the US is OK 

if you are proposing additional free stuff , you will stunt the US economy .

70 percent of the world top scientists work in the US. 

They are in the US for a good reason 

53 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

As to owning land and a home, I am so over that!  For 30 years we had a 2500 sq. ft. home on an acre of land with a dock, several boats and cars, etc.  That was great when we were raising two daughters, and they had pretty much anything they wanted or needed.  Now, as empty nesters, nearing retirement, we are delighted to rent a small 960 sq. ft., walk-up Village apartment instead, and have no lawn to mow, or other home maintenance chores, other than 3, 10-foot flower boxes on the railings of our deck.  We just lock the door, and take off for two weeks, if we want to.  We will be happy to be renters for the rest of our lives.  But, we do own rental properties, which will provide retirement income, and that is a part time job in and of itself...

I'm not quite over owning property but breaking my hip did cause me to have old man thoughts like:

One day I'm going to need an elevator to get up to my office.

and

One day I'm not going to be able to just run a few tanks of gas through the weedeater.

Stuff like that. And I thought of becoming a condo commando some day.