• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Point Break

Archery Anarchy

So, I've decided to fulfill a long simmering interest and try my hand at archery. I've not shot since I was a Boy Scout......so things may have changed since then. :lol: I have found a local range with classes very close to my home. First class (range safety) is tomorrow. My interests are target and/or field archery. I doubt I will ever hunt. I THINK I am leaning toward recurve or even longbows. 

I've read up a bit, and know I'll get lots of advice at the range and in the classes, but knowing there must be some accomplished archers in the crowd, I'm curious about equipment recommendations. I am sure there will be a bow I choose for entry and then if I stick with it, a real quality bow downstream. That said....and insights on equipment or shooting?

Just make sure you have enough room...  :P:D

http://articles.latimes.com/1996-07-31/news/ss-29900_1_justin-huish

Right on Target : America's Best Archer, Justin Huish, Is Having a Ball and Advancing Toward Medal While Doing So

Remember those through-the-window, off-the-arena-scoreboard, kiss-the-glass, nothing-but-net shots Michael Jordan and Larry Bird used to make on TV commercials?

"They've got nothing on Huish.

From a greenbelt adjacent to a neighbor's house, Huish, shoots across the street, up a driveway, through his family's garage, out the back door, across his back yard to a target on a hill.

Nothing but X.

The street's name: Broken Arrow. Honest."

Start with a simple FG recurve. 35-40LB.

You can make your own with a little bit of instruction (Even internet sites) and a basic wood working ability, as  long as you have good materials.

Bamboo makes a very fine backer.

I found that heavier bows were just not fun, and I wasn't looking to skewer a Bambi, just hit a target.

Compound bows are just absurd in my humble opinion (Yes, I spelled that out).

Crossbows have always fascinated me, but I've yet to build one.....

23 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

You can make your own with a little bit of instruction (Even internet sites) and a basic wood working ability, as  long as you have good materials.

Adgreede, thissis teh way togo.                                         :)

1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

Start with a simple FG recurve. 35-40LB.

Bamboo makes a very fine backer.

I found that heavier bows were just not fun, and I wasn't looking to skewer a Bambi, just hit a target.

Compound bows are just absurd in my humble opinion (Yes, I spelled that out).

Crossbows have always fascinated me, but I've yet to build one.....

That sounds fun, but I have about 10 woodworking projects on the list ahead of that. In fact, I'm looking forward to the next one. So....I'd like to shoot arrows this decade....:lol:

My grandson has a crossbow.......I don't get it.

Meanwhile....hows this for hitting the target!?

o

7 minutes ago, herbie verstinx said:

PB, there's an archery store next door to turners in fountain valley. Brookhurst and Garfield. They have an indoor range where you can try before you buy.

Also mile square park has a public outdoor archery range.

Thanks, I am definitely going by the store you mentioned. Tomorrow I'm going to the El Dorado Archers facility off Spring in Long Beach. Its really close to me in Seal. Thanks for the heads up on the FV store.

I like compounds over recurves but that's me.  Whatever you decide to choose, just try to shoot as many different bows as you can. 

I have owned a compound for a number of years. But I learned initially with a recurve at the local college. I think a recurve would be good for learning and general archery. I would suspect that a recurve needs to be sized to the shooter. If so, make sure you talk to a pro shop and get fitted accordingly. Additional equip: I would recommend a arm guard and a shooting glove.

My suggestion is to go compound especially as we age and don't have the strength to steady a 40# or 50# draw.  Science and technology are your friend.  IMHO it's kinda like a campfire is how everybody used to cook meat when we lived in caves but now we have the ability to use Viking stoves and Traggers.

YMMV.

4 hours ago, pbd said:

My suggestion is to go compound especially as we age and don't have the strength to steady a 40# or 50# draw.  Science and technology are your friend.  IMHO it's kinda like a campfire is how everybody used to cook meat when we lived in caves but now we have the ability to use Viking stoves and Traggers.

YMMV.

I agree with this. The discipline of launching a sharp stick through the air with another stick and a string has been around for many centuries. Like so many other things in life the last few decades have seen more technological advances then can be imagined. But if you think about it a compound is a few high tech sticks with a couple wheels and high tech string. Arrows are still long skinny sticks, just made of aluminum or carbon. 

I say try both a recurve and a compound. Not just one or two shots but really try and shoot a heavy draw recurve for an hour or so. The only way to get good is hours of practice, much easier and a shorter learning curve with a compound. 

My very good friend is a long time archery hunter. He shot "instinctive" recurve for a long time, killed a lot of animals. He now has a pretty cool compound set up and is still shooting all the time pushing 70.

12 hours ago, Point Break said:

That sounds fun, but I have about 10 woodworking projects on the list ahead of that. In fact, I'm looking forward to the next one. So....I'd like to shoot arrows this decade....:lol:

My grandson has a crossbow.......I don't get it.

Meanwhile....hows this for hitting the target!?

o

Pshaw. Way too easy. Now if he had to shot both sides, I'd be impressed.

(Kidding, obviously, in case he's reading this.)

4 hours ago, bmiller said:

I agree with this. The discipline of launching a sharp stick through the air with another stick and a string has been around for many centuries. Like so many other things in life the last few decades have seen more technological advances then can be imagined. But if you think about it a compound is a few high tech sticks with a couple wheels and high tech string. Arrows are still long skinny sticks, just made of aluminum or carbon. 

I say try both a recurve and a compound. Not just one or two shots but really try and shoot a heavy draw recurve for an hour or so. The only way to get good is hours of practice, much easier and a shorter learning curve with a compound. 

My very good friend is a long time archery hunter. He shot "instinctive" recurve for a long time, killed a lot of animals. He now has a pretty cool compound set up and is still shooting all the time pushing 70.

9 hours ago, pbd said:

YMMV.

Good information both of you. Thank you. Sounds like I should reconsider the compound. Honestly, it is the pure aesthetic appeal of the recurve that drives me away from the compound. Question....do you think I'd need such a heavy bow for target? I understand the need when hunting but what draw would I need fr target or field? I'll do some shooting of both and evaluate. After all......I'm no yoot any longer.

25-35Lbs. is a nice 25-50 yard draw for me.... I used to go 60s, but I was younger then, swinging a hammer, and humping rafters.

Unless you're going hunting, there's not much advantage to a stronger bow. It's like fishing with a snapper rod-n-reel, or a stout boat rod with a Penn Senator 90..... still fishing for snappers....

(And to clarify, I'm talking about snapper Blues, not red Snapper)

went from not having shot since age 12 to leading a team in 3 weeks.

And we did well in the league. Shoot, used to embarrass the losers with crossbows who showed up.

The trick was my upper body strength from years of flying a catamaran hull all day long. Could hold the bow as long as I wanted and release without a shake. If you are used to running a mainsheet uncleated, you have a serious advantage.

I really like compounds. Those cams make life much easier.

Add a set of a sights you can set to different distances.  Make repetition a piece of cake.

a quality release also helps repetition.

If you like the sport, I highly suggest a set of custom made arrows.  They always fly the same way and they last a long time.  It also ensures the length is correct.

Yeah, I have to say, now at 65+ I’m not a snowflake yet but my upper body stamina isn’t getting better. At this point the battle is to slow the loss not improve. 

You could try traditional Japanese archery

Kazuhisa-Sensei-Japan-Matador-SEO.jpg

Wait . . .     never mind      you'd have to wear socks.

Do you still have any socks ?

Dig that assy. bow though

13 minutes ago, Dorado said:

You could try traditional Japanese archery

Wait . . .     never mind      you'd have to wear socks.

Do you still have any socks ?

Dig that assy. bow though

Socks? Of course.....I think.......somewhere........do Uggs count?

20 hours ago, Point Break said:

Good information both of you. Thank you. Sounds like I should reconsider the compound. Honestly, it is the pure aesthetic appeal of the recurve that drives me away from the compound. Question....do you think I'd need such a heavy bow for target? I understand the need when hunting but what draw would I need fr target or field? I'll do some shooting of both and evaluate. After all......I'm no yoot any longer.

I dunno, compounds kind be sexy: yes it's safe

Been awhile since I killed anything with a bow but some of my best days have been stomping around carrying a bow. One of the most intense days of my life involved stalking a giant bull with a bow, didn't kill him but holy shit what a rush. 

Even just hiking around with a quiver of judo points and stump shooting takes you away from everything bad in the world and puts you in a whole different place.

Be aware that you’re going to drop a decent amount of money to get started (sights, release, stabilizer, arrows, etc) 

Go to a good quality bow shop (IMO stay away from Cabelas, Bass Pro, etc)

Don’t get hung up on brands.  shoot lots of brands/models and see what fits you best

Dont be afraid of looking at used bows.  Archers are worse than golfers when it comes to chasing the dragon down the hole in search of the next great thing.

Draw weight is adjustable.  Have your bow set up with the heaviest weight you can manage. Fast/flat is better.

YMMV