thevoyage

How significant are these cracks?

Hey all. I looked at a used boat recently and saw these two cracks. It's a late 80s boat. The fact that both cracks on each side are oriented the same way makes me think that they were caused from a specific event. I'm wondering for example if the loss of a backstay or forstay could have caused it.

Other areas on Deck do have some crazing for sure. Some around fittings and some in traffic areas. The boat looks in decent boat condition. Not yacht condition.

Mast base

Mast base right side

Not very - look more like crazing to me. I've seen lots of that sort of thing from spar stresses.

Usually such cracks indicate the mast is no longer ( or never was) supported sufficiently. 

At  some time the surface has moved downward .

Why?

lots of possibilities and each one demands a different solution:

1. The mast step area was stressed by a one time huge load. 

Example: A section of roof blew off a local marina and hit the starboard shrouds of a Nearby Catalina 38. There was no visible damage except for the fact the mast compression post inside the boat had pushed through the cabin sole and there were huge cracks next to the front keel bolts. It was a very difficult structural problem to solve and an expensive repair. 

2. Water may be running down insidevtge made and through the hike where mast light and electronics wiring passes. The core of the deck might be rotting a bit.

Or it may simply be compressing 

3. Is there a bulkhead directly under the mast step? Is it rotting? 

4. Is there a compression post? Does it look good? Is it digging in to the deck above or whatever it sits on below?

5. Is whatever supports the compression post in good shape?

6. Two person indiection

have one person sight across the mast step while the other grabs shrouds on both sides of the boat and pulls them toward the center like bow strings. 

Does the  mast pump down when the shrouds are squeezed together?? 

7. Least likely : the gelcoat just happened to crack right there for no particular reason and The Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy are real.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tane said:

bodes ill to me

hqgg6ffrpziw0t6plvlv.png

Bodes ill? I should send a card.

Too late Ish, he left the building quite awhile ago.

(those cracks aren't good, I'm sure that 'glass repair guy from Austin will be by shortly to set the record straight).

27 minutes ago, hobot said:

Too late Ish, he left the building quite awhile ago.

(those cracks aren't good, I'm sure that 'glass repair guy from Austin will be by shortly to set the record straight).

Well, shit. Most of my favourite cartoonists are dead. I hope that isn't a trend.

26240441_1830461516984593_36709665784162

Thanks for the help everyone. Yes unfortunately the boat is a few hours away from me so I'm not sure if I want to make that drive again.  I wasn't able to look at the area just below the mast step unfortunately.  My next step would be a survey if I wanted to buy this boat.