• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Our family has been watching the first couple of seasons of All in the Family.

First, I'd like to point out that it is still funny as hell, and the comic timing and acting is usually nothing short of genius. It was shot in front of a live audience, so there are some times they have to work that for timing and laughs. But they cast deserves ever single Emmy they won.

Second, I'd like to point out the horrifying fact that my wife and I older than the Bunkers were in the first season. They were 47 and married 22 years. I'm 51 and will be married 25 in March. I always thought of them as older, but they were not. They are my age, younger than me even. Fucking yikes. Season 1 Gloria is a year or so older than my son.  I don't feel that old, they look like my parents. Hell, they look older than my parents still.

Third, the show is still unbelievably topical. Which is in so many ways distrubing. You'd think in the 45+ years that this show has been around we'd have moved forward on some of these things. That the Archie Bunkers of the world would be off doddering their last breaths in nursing homes or died off, and we'd have a more enlightened and less ignorant populace.

I don't need to tell you all how that worked out.

In the first two+ seasons, there have been numerous episodes and topics on racism, sexism, anti-semitism, homosexuality, pre-marital sex, menstruation, menopause, living "in sin", civic duty, paying taxes, male chauvinism, women's rights, divorce, traditional marriage roles, education, integrity, Liberal vs. Conservative, foreign policy, etc. etc. etc.

What is amazing about it is that within five seconds on the internet I can drag someone from SA, Facebook, or Twitter that sounds like all sides of every argument today, in 2018.  Listening to Archie and Mike go back and forth about Nixon and McGovern sounds so familiar.

Archie Bunker sounds like most Trump supporters I've heard. He doesn't think he's a bigot, and gets very, very upset when he's accused of it. Then he explains why he's not a bigot and crystallizes for everyone exactly how bigoted he is. Just like he loved Nixon, he'd also love Trump. Right up until Trump policies kicked him in the ass, like Nixon's did, at which point he'd forgive Trump (Nixon) for the parts that he didn't like and still keep supporting him. And for all his passionate patriotism, not only does he not get informed, he doesn't even have his crap together to vote.

Bunker is, of course, uneducated and ignorant. But he generally thinks he isn't. He can usually be brought around to do the right thing, but not always. But underneath he is still basically a decent guy trying to provide for his family, and more a product of his age, upbringing, and lack of education than an sort of active choice to be what he is. Unlike some of our worst people today, the alt-Right for example, who *choose* this worldview instead of inherit it by default.

But it is simply astounding to me how in 2018 we are still in the same place. Still hearing many of the same basic issues, still without resolution.

If you can find it, I heartily recommend a watching a few episodes.

A few snippets...that sound you hear is a live studio audience, not a laugh track.

For Tom and Jeff, on Gun Control:

MAGA

The National Anthem...

Spanish and the Feds...

4 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

The original

Yup. It was a re-make/Americanization of it.

The British version would be quite incomprehensible to most Americans...

10 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

Yup. It was a re-make/Americanization of it.

The British version would be quite incomprehensible to most Americans...

The British version was barely comprehensible to many in the UK, I’m not sure which age group it was aimed at, but it was far from funny or entertaining. 

agreed , had no stomach for it at all , archie bunker is a bigot .

11 minutes ago, mad said:

The British version was barely comprehensible to many in the UK, I’m not sure which age group it was aimed at, but it was far from funny or entertaining. 

Never quite sure of that either. a middle class sneer at the working class and the pretensions of their now college educated kids perhaps?

37 minutes ago, Mid said:

agreed , had no stomach for it at all , archie bunker is a bigot .

Likewise. I appreciate the systematic dialogue about cultural changes. The painful problem is the point in the OP. Nothing has changed in 45 years (for some) at some deeper levels.

1 hour ago, Shortforbob said:

Never quite sure of that either. a middle class sneer at the working class and the pretensions of their now college educated kids perhaps?

I remember finding it disturbing and wrong, even as a young kid, don’t think I watched more than one episode, before avoiding it. 

We had a lot of weird stuff on television growing up. Jimmy Saville for instance, have memories/thoughts of him being a freak 30 years before the truth came out. 

5 hours ago, mad said:

Who needs that when you have the royal family!

6 hours ago, mad said:

I remember finding it disturbing and wrong, even as a young kid, don’t think I watched more than one episode, before avoiding it. 

We had a lot of weird stuff on television growing up. Jimmy Saville for instance, have memories/thoughts of him being a freak 30 years before the truth came out. 

I suspect there's a small window between 8 and 11 before the sea of raging hormones kicks in where kids are genius :D

2 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

I suspect there's a small window between 8 and 11 before the sea of raging hormones kicks in where kids are genius :D

You might just be onto something. :P But my fear of Saville started from 4-5 years old, and was scarier than watching Doctor Who at the time. Think that’s more a raw instinct thing. 

16 minutes ago, mad said:

You might just be onto something. :P But my fear of Saville started from 4-5 years old, and was scarier than watching Doctor Who at the time. Think that’s more a raw instinct thing. 

Yeah..I remember this old looking guy with parti coloured hair and thinking "pied piper" not that THAT had any pedo connotations at the time...but one wonders now..couldn't understand my elder sisters fascination.

Nothing was scarier than darleks, I didn't watch Dr Who again until Tom Baker arrived:D

Rob Reiner had a great line about being typecast.

He said "I could win a Nobel and the next day the headlines would read 'Meathead Wins Nobel'." :D

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Rob Reiner had a great line about being typecast.

He said "I could win a Nobel and the next day the headlines would read 'Meathead Wins Nobel'." :D

When he went on to become a film director, even after he was much older, I still saw him as 'Meathead'.  Just like Ron Howard, I would think, damn Opie's gettin' old!