• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
mad

Teetering on the brink, False missile alarm

This doesn’t instill faith while Trump brags of his big red button. Thankfully it was the weekend, so he probably was out playing golf. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42677604

An incoming missile alert plunged residents of Hawaii into panic on Saturday morning before it was declared to be false.

The US military also confirmed the alert had been sent "in error".

Oh look!!  Another sock who struggles in reading comprehension, understanding the current situation and lacking the ability to draw simple facts together. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mad said:

Oh look!!  Another sock who struggles in reading comprehension, understanding the current situation and lacking the ability to draw simple facts together. 

It's been on ignore since the second post.

4 minutes ago, mad said:

He's putting together a record that the late but not lamented Dabs would be hard-pressed to exceed. 20 posts and 14 negative community points.

Just now, jerseyguy said:

He's putting together a record that the late but not lamented Dabs would be hard-pressed to exceed. 20 posts and 14 negative community points.

1 minute ago, Ishmael said:

And 21 posts. Hard to keep up.

6 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

And 21 posts. Hard to keep up.

Add another 2, and culled by the ignore button as well. Another gutless sock disappears 

12 minutes ago, Ishmael said:
18 minutes ago, mad said:

It's been on ignore since the second post.

Yup.

#FlickTheBean

12 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:
19 minutes ago, mad said:

His reputation is that high because many of us ignored him almost immediately. Can't down vote what you can't see.

Just now, mad said:

Anyway, did it make big news, or is it just one of those thing.???

It's all over Twitter. I heard about it within moments of getting up this AM and checking Facebook.

I don't have cable though, so I can't tell you about the "news" news.

5 minutes ago, beanbeanbean said:

And the snowflakes are off to their safe spaces!

Whilst shaking their heads in bewilderment at your complete, head in the sand ignorance. It’s a waste of time, you have nothing of substance to say. Onto ignore you go. 

Enjoy rolling round the pigpen with Moderate, JZK, Warbird etc. 

"Hawaii's Emergency Management Agency administrator on Saturday took the blame for a false alert warning about an incoming ballistic missile that sent residents scrambling. 

"It's my responsibility, so this would be my fault," Administrator Vern Miyagi said at a press conference with Hawaii Gov. David Ige (D). "We'll take action to prevent this from ever happening again," Miyagi said. 

The agency responded quickly on social media to the false emergency alert Saturday, tweeting that there was "No missile threat to Hawaii." A second alert correcting the first, however, did not come for 38 minutes. 

The emergency official said his agency would work to make sure that, in the future, more than one person is in charge of making the decision to send out the alert. "

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/368912-hawaii-ema-administrator-takes-responsibility-for-false-missile

2 hours ago, madohe said:

duck_and_cover.gif

As much as I love the Fallout franchise, I have no desire to role play the live-action version.

and Trumps response to a million panicking people?

Oh..he finished his game of golf and went back to the winter palace.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/entry/trump-golf-hawaii-missile-alarm_us_5a5a9201e4b04f3c55a32242

It’s not clear exactly when Trump learned of the alert, although presumably the president would be informed of any potential threat immediately.

White House deputy press secretary Lindsay Walters said in a statement that the president had been “briefed on the state of Hawaii’s emergency management exercise.”

“This was purely a state exercise,” she added.

A White House official told CNN that the president was briefed in person by national security adviser H.R. McMaster, deputy national security adviser Ricky Waddell and White House chief of staff John Kelly.

A senior administrative official told Politico that there was no military response around the president during the incident because there was no actual threat detected by the military. The source also said that Trump’s Cabinet hasn’t yet tested plans for how they would respond in such an attack

Former Pentagon official Col. Morris Davis criticized the president in a tweet for continuing his round of golf on his “taxpayer funded vacation” as Hawaiians “braced for a ballistic missile strike.”

For 38 minutes American citizens in Hawaii braced for a ballistic missile strike ... and @realDonaldTrump continued his round of golf in Florida on his 120th taxpayer funded vacation day in less than a year. https://twitter.com/foxnews/status/952257435191992320 

Former Rep. John Dingell (D-Mich.) tweeted that Trump was “somewhere on the back nine” while “1.5 million American citizens” were told to seek shelter.

57 minutes ago, hermetic said:

what exactly would a proper response from trump have looked like?

Does his golf cart have a big button?

3 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Joe Arpaio uses this to renew his claim that Obama was born in Hawaii.

Linky

When all your u have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

28 minutes ago, badlatitude said:
1 hour ago, hermetic said:

what exactly would a proper response from trump have looked like?

"Calm down, it was a false alert" for starters.

the locals, who screwed up in the first place, figured this out within 20 minutes.

would a telecast from the east coast have made a difference?  doubtful

should trump direct dhs to make sure the locals fix their, and guams, system?  absolutely

I wonder how long it took northcom to figure out the situation

16 minutes ago, hermetic said:

the locals, who screwed up in the first place, figured this out within 20 minutes.

would a telecast from the east coast have made a difference?  doubtful

should trump direct dhs to make sure the locals fix their, and guams, system?  absolutely

I wonder how long it took northcom to figure out the situation

The correction was made 38 minutes later. An announcement to the press would have had immediate effect and may have calmed things down. At a minimum, it would have made Donald Trump look presidential instead of a bumbling fool that only had time to complain about Michael Wolff.

The telecom industry lobbied against testing protocols, so if there is blame, that's where most of peoples ire should be directed. https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/kznxde/hawaii-ballistic-missile-warning-no-testing-system

Edit to add: Congresswoman Tulsi Gabbard reported the false alarm at 1:19, and the state followed at 1:20, the second text to all phones did not happen for 38 minutes.

A real president should have issued a calming but forceful reassurance to Americans that we should take these warnings seriously and that the government, led by him will also them them seriously.  A thorough investigation and root cause analysis will be conducted and corrections made.   Of course that would be what a real president would do.  Trump, not so much.  Hey it was Hawaii anyways, what has Hawaii done for Trump lately besides forge a birth certificate?

2 hours ago, Spatial Ed said:

A real president should have issued a calming but forceful reassurance to Americans that we should take these warnings seriously and that the government, led by him will also them them seriously.  A thorough investigation and root cause analysis will be conducted and corrections made.   Of course that would be what a real president would do.  Trump, not so much.  Hey it was Hawaii anyways, what has Hawaii done for Trump lately besides forge a birth certificate?

Most Americans had no need to hear a presidential address on a false alarm in Hawaii.   You guys have TDS to the max. 

2 hours ago, TMSAIL said:

Most Americans had no need to hear a presidential address on a false alarm in Hawaii.   You guys have TDS to the max. 

Yeah, 1.5 million Americans should just trample themselves seeking cover. It is the state's problem, but the president is there to be a calming influence and it is foolish for anyone to expect more from president Trump.

4 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

Yeah, 1.5 million Americans should just trample themselves seeking cover. It is the state's problem, but the president is there to be a calming influence and it is foolish for anyone to expect more from president Trump.

Who was trampled?  From what I read most figured it was a mistake because of no follow up by other emergency services. 

2 minutes ago, TMSAIL said:

Who was trampled?  From what I read most figured it was a mistake because of no follow up by other emergency services. 

No one was trampled, but it could have happened very easily. People had little time to react, and I read some people put their children in a roadside culvert, other ran across Ala Moana Boulevard across four lanes of traffic and could have been hit very easily. When you get a text that says this is not a test people will panic. It's fortunate that this happened so early in the morning, any later, and we would have read about casualties.

7 minutes ago, TMSAIL said:

You're the only one who has said trampled.  WTF is wrong with you?  Your dad was an extreme right winger, doesn't mean you have to be.  Have you ever stopped to think?  I really wish you hadn't reproduced.  

On 1/13/2018 at 1:15 PM, mad said:

Why is there a heightened tension over missiles hitting the US?

Peoples who hate our way of life! ;) Many people have said it!

Personally, I’d like to welcome them into the club of nations with nuclear arms, show them the Ben & Jerry’s vid of how many nukes we have, and then let them know in exquisite detail what we have targeted in their country as a result of their accomplishment if they launch on us.  Mutually Assured Destruction may be old school, but if any of you were out in line on Waikiki and received the push  message, would you have paddled in?  Grabbed one?

All you have gained by achieving thermonuclear potentiality is MAD-ness.  

And madness it is. :huh:

3 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

You're the only one who has said trampled.  WTF is wrong with you?  Your dad was an extreme right winger, doesn't mean you have to be.  Have you ever stopped to think?  I really wish you hadn't reproduced.  

You do not know my father.  Why do you repeatedly bring Him up.  Now you are bringing my kids into it.  Go fuck yourself. 

As to tramples you ignorant peice of shit BL Brought it up in post 40.    But clearly you only read my posts.    Here is hoping the next time a multi flips you get caught underneath. 

Just now, TMSAIL said:

You do not know my father.  Why do you repeatedly bring Him up.  Now you are bringing my kids into it.  Go fuck yourself. 

As to tramples you ignorant peice of shit BL Brought it up in post 40.    But clearly you only read my posts.    Here is hoping the next time a multi flips you get caught underneath. 

I bring your dad up as no one can be that far to the right without a push from their parents. 

I was lucky, both parents very educated and very independent.  

I don't know if you have kids, but try not to have them influence the way your daddy did you.  Let them make their own choices.  

3 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

I bring your dad up as no one can be that far to the right without a push from their parents. 

I was lucky, both parents very educated and very independent.  

I don't know if you have kids, but try not to have them influence the way your daddy did you.  Let them make their own choices.  

You know nothing about me, my dad or my family.  The fact that you keep going down that path shows  what  scum you are.  

TM, I hope you consider that if Trump had done anything about North Korea at all, we probably wouldn't be having this conversation.  That's the problem, not test sirens, alerts, or even suspected missiles with 15 minutes to live, Trump's inaction has caused all of this.

1 minute ago, badlatitude said:

TM, I hope you consider that if Trump had done anything about North Korea at all, we probably wouldn't be having this conversation.  That's the problem, not test sirens, alerts, or even suspected missiles with 15 minutes to live, Trump's inaction has caused all of this.

Inaction?   What pray tell should Trump have done to shut down a nuclear NK.  When administrations back to Clinton have looked the other way? 

Just now, TMSAIL said:

Inaction?   What pray tell should Trump have done to shut down a nuclear NK.  When administrations back to Clinton have looked the other way? 

The ball rolls downhill TM, All administrations share some responsibility sure, but today it landed on Trump's desk and he scratched his ass.

3 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

The ball rolls downhill TM, All administrations share some responsibility sure, but today it landed on Trump's desk and he scratched his ass.

What should he have done?  

5 minutes ago, TMSAIL said:

What should he have done?  

There was talk of diplomacy a couple of months ago. Personally, I'm good with a sit-down and approval that they have nukes, with a proviso that if they ever use them against anyone at all, North Korea will cease to exist and let it be Russia and China's problem from that point on. 

2 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

There was talk of diplomacy a couple of months ago. Personally, I'm good with a sit-down and approval that they have nukes, with a proviso that if they ever use them against anyone at all, North Korea will cease to exist and let it be Russia and China's problem from that point on. 

This is the talk that pisses me off.  One and only one country has used nuclear weapons in the history of time.  But we are the watchdog?  We should be ashamed.  And yes, I'm against the wall as it may impede my flight to Mexico.  

White House scrambles after false missile warning in Hawaii

A false warning of a missile threat in Hawaii sent White House aides scrambling Saturday, frantically phoning agencies to determine a response and triggering worries about their preparedness almost a year into the Trump administration.

President Donald Trump's Cabinet has yet to test formal plans for how to respond to a domestic missile attack, according to a senior administration official. John Kelly, while serving as secretary of Homeland Security through last July, planned to conduct the exercise. But he left his post to become White House chief of staff before it was conducted, and acting Secretary Elaine Duke never carried it out.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/01/13/hawaii-missile-warning-white-house-339520

22 minutes ago, Mid said:

White House scrambles after false missile warning in Hawaii

A false warning of a missile threat in Hawaii sent White House aides scrambling Saturday, frantically phoning agencies to determine a response and triggering worries about their preparedness almost a year into the Trump administration.

President Donald Trump's Cabinet has yet to test formal plans for how to respond to a domestic missile attack, according to a senior administration official. John Kelly, while serving as secretary of Homeland Security through last July, planned to conduct the exercise. But he left his post to become White House chief of staff before it was conducted, and acting Secretary Elaine Duke never carried it out.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/01/13/hawaii-missile-warning-white-house-339520

I don't think you can use "prepared" and "Trump administration" in the same sentence.

6 hours ago, badlatitude said:

Interesting, but it looks like the entire world already knows North Korea has nukes, they don’t need anyone’s approval, and if they ever did use them against anyone, they would be ashes. We already have that clear understanding in the world. 

So it remains status quo.........

1 minute ago, Keith said:

Interesting, but it looks like the entire world already knows North Korea has nukes, they don’t need anyone’s approval, and if they ever did use them against anyone, they would be ashes. We already have that clear understanding in the world. 

So it remains status quo.........

The point is it leaves no avenue for North Korea. If they use the nukes, they die, if they sell plutonium, they die, Russia and China will be responsible for their behavior and we have to nothing except punch a button if ever necessary.

3 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

The point is it leaves no avenue for North Korea. If they use the nukes, they die, if they sell plutonium, they die, Russia and China will be responsible for their behavior and we have to nothing except punch a button if ever necessary.

In reality, North Korea has shown that they, and only they, are responsible for their actions, how many times do they have to rub the rest of the worlds nose in it. 

North Korea clearly doesn’t care what anyone else thinks.  

Russia and China will do exactly what their doing now nothing, and that won’t change. 

8 minutes ago, Keith said:

In reality, North Korea has shown that they, and only they, are responsible for their actions, how many times do they have to rub the rest of the worlds nose in it. 

Russia and China will do exactly what their doing now nothing, and that won’t change. 

North Korea cannot exist without aid from Russia and China, as much as they would like the world to believe that they are powerful and independent, it is far from the truth. If North Korea starts selling plutonium to terrorists, Both Russia and China risk a nuclear conflagration and seriously, who would want that?

10 minutes ago, Keith said:

The horse is out of the barn and there's no way it's going back in. Sanctions aren't going to make NK give up the only thing that protects them. At this point, it would be wise to integrate them into the circle of careful atomic powers instead of trying to starve them out.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

North Korea cannot exist without aid from Russia and China, as much as they would like the world to believe that they are powerful and independent, it is far from the truth. If North Korea starts selling plutonium to terrorists, Both Russia and China risk a nuclear conflagration and seriously, who would want that?

Well, again I think the North Koreans will do what ever they want...

ie, their going to the olympics, and were not even sending our finest hockey players this time..... now that’s a real serious issue.  

So it remains status quo.  

1 minute ago, Keith said:

Well, again I think the North Koreans will do what ever they want...

ie, their going to the olympics, and were not even sending our finest hockey players this time..... now that’s a real serious issue.  

So it remains stays quo.  

"A man in a Florida Supermarket tries to buy half a head of lettuce. The very young produce assistant tells him they only sell whole heads. The man persists and asks to see the manager.

The boy says he'll ask his manager about it.

Walking int the back room the boy says to the manager, "Some ass*&^% wants to buy half a head of lettuce", as he finishes his sentence, he turns to see the man standing right behind him, so he adds "and THIS gentleman offered to buy the other half".

The manager approved the deal, and the man went on his way.

Later, the manager said to the boy, "I was impressed by the way you got yourself out of that situation earlier. We like people who can think on their feet. Where are you from son?"

"Canada, Sir" replied the boy.

"Well why did you leave Canada?" the manager asked.

"Sir, there's nothing but whores and hockey players up there", said the boy.

"Really" said the manager, "My wife is from Canada".

"No chit" said the boy, "who'd she play for?"

On 1/13/2018 at 4:15 PM, mad said:

Why is there a heightened tension over missiles hitting the US?

Because no previous administration has managed to stop any country that wants to develop nuclear missiles?

Do you realize that this tension has been in place since the 50s?  Maybe they should rerun the TV news for you.

16 hours ago, TMSAIL said:

I think @Cal20sailor invoking your Dad and children is bad form.

I think you suggesting he die is a fair bit worse.

Take a break and cool off.

3 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

I think @Cal20sailor invoking your Dad and children is bad form.

I think you suggesting he die is a fair bit worse.

Take a break and cool off.

Sorry  cal20 has been going after me, by attacking my family  more than once.  He also brings up personal info about me   All in an effort to let everyone know he knows me outside PA.   Sorry if you view my comment as worse,  too fucking bad, at the time I wrote that it reflected my feelings perfectly.  

1 hour ago, TMSAIL said:

Sorry  cal20 has been going after me, by attacking my family  more than once.  He also brings up personal info about me   All in an effort to let everyone know he knows me outside PA.   Sorry if you view my comment as worse,  too fucking bad, at the time I wrote that it reflected my feelings perfectly.  

With that justification, you ceded the moral high ground and the ability to criticize others who may go too far.

Don't like that?  In your own words "too fucking bad".

Musing about the death of another poster on an anonymous forum is pretty damned scary.  Either ignore him or grow a thicker skin.

39 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

With that justification, you ceded the moral high ground and the ability to criticize others who may go too far.

Don't like that?  In your own words "too fucking bad".

Musing about the death of another poster on an anonymous forum is pretty damned scary.  Either ignore him or grow a thicker skin.

I wasn’t mussing about anything. I thought I was perfectly clear.  He stated he wished I had never reproduced. I guess wishing my children didn’t exist was just fine and dandy.  Interesting that you are chastising me while saying his insults were simply bad form, your selective outrage is noted. 

As to high ground that was ceded when his repeated attacks were ignored and only when I fired back did you find it offensive   enough to chime in.  

22 hours ago, badlatitude said:

No one was trampled, but it could have happened very easily. People had little time to react, and I read some people put their children in a roadside culvert, other ran across Ala Moana Boulevard across four lanes of traffic and could have been hit very easily. When you get a text that says this is not a test people will panic. It's fortunate that this happened so early in the morning, any later, and we would have read about casualties.

Yeah- we were lucky that there was no shooting, looting, raping, and pillaging.  No multi-car pile ups, no kids running across the blvd. getting smacked by a bus.  (Those kids whose dad put them down into the manhole are going to need therapy, I'd think.)The problem, however, is credibility.  The next time we get an emergency push, maybe for a more likely catastrophe like a tsunami, folks are more likely than before to ignore it, thinking our state screwed up once again. 

35 minutes ago, TMSAIL said:

I wasn’t mussing about anything. I thought I was perfectly clear.  He stated he wished I had never reproduced. I guess wishing my children didn’t exist was just fine and dandy.  Interesting that you are chastising me while saying his insults were simply bad form, your selective outrage is noted. 

As to high ground that was ceded when his repeated attacks were ignored and only when I fired back did you find it offensive   enough to chime in.  

I see Cal20Sailor as an occasional poster who does little to further the dialogue.  I had you pegged as better than that.

Sorry.  Perhaps I misjudged you.

2 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

'I'm taking a time out, I apologize to TM for anything I said, attacking anyone but him was wrong.  

Accepted.  You obviously know who I am in the real world.    Which made your attacks on my family a bit more personal.  Avoid flipping and if it does happen get out safely. 

With North Korea persisting as the major global challenge facing Trump this year, the president cast doubt on whether talks with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un would be useful. In the past he has not ruled out direct talks with Kim.

“I’d sit down, but I‘m not sure that sitting down will solve the problem,” he said, noting that past negotiations with the North Koreans by his predecessors had failed to rein in North Korea’s nuclear and missile programs.

He blamed his three immediate predecessors, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush and Barack Obama, for failing to resolve the crisis and, a day after his doctor gave him a perfect score on a cognitive test, suggested he had the mental acuity to solve it.

“I guess they all realized they were going to have to leave it to a president that scored the highest on tests,” he said.

He declined to comment when asked whether he had engaged in any communications at all with Kim, with whom he has exchanged public insults and threats, heightening tensions in the region.

Trump said he hoped the standoff with Pyongyang could be resolved “in a peaceful way, but it’s very possible that it can’t.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-exclusive/exclusive-trump-says-russia-helping-north-korea-skirt-sanctions-pyongyang-getting-close-on-missile-idUSKBN1F62KO?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=Social

What a loser.

2 hours ago, Mid said:

“I guess they all realized they were going to have to leave it to a president that scored the highest on tests,” he said.