• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Best conditions: ‘87 Perth

Best AC Village: 2007 AC32 Valencia 

Baddest-ass Challenge: 2010 AC33 DoG Match

Baddest-ass Breeze and Beasts: 2013 AC34 SF AC72’s

Fastest-ass AC Boats: 2017 AC35 AC50’s

Most Radical-assed AC Boats:

• Like 2

Gotta be the version 5's. Still got all of the LV Trophy videos from 2009/ 2010. Great stuff!

• Like 1

I grew up with the IACCs, so they'll always have a special place in my heart. The Cup Matches themselves were usually blowouts (save for '07), but it was awesome seeing so many challengers racing in the LVC. I always liked to track the hulls as the raceboats from one team became the trial horses of the next.

I think an underrated cycle was 2000, the first I watched as a kid. Yeah, TNZ was probably unstoppable that year no matter what challenger they faced, but there were something like 5 American teams with mostly American crews, and that great back-and-forth between AmericaOne and Prada (I could have done with a tad less gear failure). Stars and Stripes was still chugging along with a one boat campaign, and could have made the final if not for that rudder business. Good times!

Best AC was Perth. Worst, the two DoG matches. The AC bounced back from the first into the IACC era, as for the second all the indications are that we are looking at long term decline because the $Bs have moved on to other games. Fuck Larry.

• Like 2

95, Mighty Mary girls nearly got up to defend, Cayard and Conner “anyone got any ideas” , Dicko and Tag, NZL 32 , TNZ smashed em bro.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stingray~~ said:

Best conditions: ‘87 Perth

Best AC Village: 2007 AC32 Valencia 

Baddest-ass Challenge: 2010 AC33 DoG Match

Baddest-ass Breeze and Beasts: 2013 AC34 SF AC72’s

Fastest-ass AC Boats: 2017 AC35 AC50’s

Most Radical-assed AC Boats:

I would think you've pretty much nailed it there .

• Like 1

1987. learned how to sail the previous year, instantly addicted. much love for the aluminum battlewagons.

AC34, just awe inspiring, the perfect AC. Such beasts they raced, then they had to ruin it :(. Ac35 was pretty cool, though. The IACC era was amazing, but in a completely different  way though.

• Like 1

People will call me a heretic but '88.

The racing was awful but both boats were epic for their time & showed the way for future development.

Post '88 sailing rapidly embraced lighter, cleaner, faster monohulls with proper rigs like IACC, IMS, Open 60s & multihulls became much more acceptable.

1 hour ago, hoom said:

Post '88 sailing rapidly embraced lighter, cleaner, faster monohulls with proper rigs like IACC, IMS, Open 60s & multihulls became much more acceptable.

You attach too much importance to the AC. Other than IACC  those developments had little or nothing to do with the AC,

IACC

I enjoyed the entire era from the very beginning to the bitter end and even after when i was fortunate enough to compete for two seasons in the IACC Sausalito Cup Series in San Francisco. The years of development full of secrets , rumors and mind games was very entertaining in addition to the actual sailing itself. Charges of industrial spying, sinking boats, falling masts , hidden sail lofts and even the crushing win by Black Magic kept things quite interesting for many years. If anyone is interested in that era there are several good behind the scene type books out there. " To the third power " by Paul Larson  being one of the best. 

16 hours ago, dogwatch said:

Other than IACC  those developments had little or nothing to do with the AC

For sure there was already independent movement but there was a very rapid transition with IOR etc, AC '88 then suddenly IMS etc.

Correlation is not causation. IOR was dying by the mid-80s because it was producing boats that were neither fast nor had a cruiser-racer afterlife and IMS briefly flowered as its successor until designers figured out how to beat the VPP with hideous boats that practically nobody wanted to own. None of this was anything to do with the America's Cup, it was a series of developments in its own right.

• Like 2

I don't have a favorite era because when I got hooked on the AC the 12 meter era was ending and the IACC has dominated my AC experience.  I do have a favorite cycle though, AC32.  Large variety of teams, the Acts were compelling and a nice time filler, all the new boats to follow, the racing was pretty good (well the Cup final was exciting) and to cap it off AC32 was the first Cup cycle that had the internet available to take coverage to another level (including this site and especially Mr. Pierre and Valencia Sailing).  The AC hasn't been the same for me since.

WetHog  :ph34r:

J Class.  OK, so my father wasn't even out of short pants then, but when I was a kid I used to read about the boats and the races, and the majesty and beauty of those legendary boats has lived with me forever more. I didn't know any had survived until I read about Endeavour's restoration, and realised that Velsheda and Shamrock V still lived as well. 

They will be still be chainsawing up and reducing to a skip of carbon chips AC boats whilst the J's remain.

One day I want to sail on one.  Just the once would do.

between the 1983 Connor loss and the 1987 Connor win was the best period, IMO.  Three 12 meter world championships in between the two challenges, as I recall.  just felt like a pretty awesome time to be an America's Cup fan.

11 hours ago, Francis Vaughan said:

J Class.  OK, so my father wasn't even out of short pants then, but when I was a kid I used to read about the boats and the races, and the majesty and beauty of those legendary boats has lived with me forever more. I didn't know any had survived until I read about Endeavour's restoration, and realised that Velsheda and Shamrock V still lived as well. 

They will be still be chainsawing up and reducing to a skip of carbon chips AC boats whilst the J's remain.

One day I want to sail on one.  Just the once would do.

I sailed on Velsheda once and if I had the $Bs I'd be playing the J Class game not the AC. Incredible. Just dropping the main was memorable, it felt like there was acres of it coming down around you.

• Like 1

I reckon '95 era was the best .Team NZ sailed their two boats to different venues around NZ to do demo races.  I remember when they bought their boats to the Bay of Islands New Zealand and did a series of windward leeward races.  There was zero crowd control and we followed them to the top mark.  They turned downwind and holy jesus christ the old detroit deisel was strugglling to get out of the way Man they were so cool thundering downwind.  Them were the days of real match racing boats. None of this banging the corners shit thats likely to continue into the next session.

Baz.

Some years ago I was doing the Round the Island (Wight) race and there was a very loud noise I can't quite describe from behind. That was an IACC gybing in breeze 200 yards away. Impressive beasts.