Hello Everyone!

I have been looking to get into sailing for quite some time now and would like to get my first sailboat. I have never sailed before but am looking to learn/practice on this boat. Since I don't have much money or space, I was hoping to get a boat that could fit a few adults and be sturdy to take out on the ocean rather than starting with something small like a sunfish. I found one on craigslist, but have no idea if its a good buy or is a good boat. I have searched around a bit and read that it should be sturdy for ocean sailing and holds up well with time?

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/boa/d/sailboat-discoverer-annapolis/6401854656.html

So far, I've learned that sails, ropes, and pulleys all need to be in good condition (not sure exactly how to tell) and that a jib is very good to have for sailing. What should I be looking for when I go look at the boat? Again, I am new to this but am excited to learn!

Looks like a fair deal for what you want. If U buy it make sure the owner will take U out and demo setting up, launching and your first sail. Take a friend and pictures or better yet movie. If not, look elsewhere as there could be enough disappointments to turn U off from sailing.

• Like 1

Hmm. Not familiar with that design. Looks like gear if missing is easily interchangeable with other classes. The deck-stepped mast might be a challenge. I can't tell -- is it raised using a tabernacle? Make sure the step is intact/complete. Does not appear to be self-rescuing -- might be prudent to apply some flotation. The last item has been discussed on several recent forums.

Which reminds me -- I believe posting pics of your favourite "flotation" is still a prerequisite for newcomers to SA.

13 hours ago, IwannaBoat said:

Hello Everyone!

I have been looking to get into sailing for quite some time now and would like to get my first sailboat. I have never sailed before but am looking to learn/practice on this boat. Since I don't have much money or space, I was hoping to get a boat that could fit a few adults and be sturdy to take out on the ocean rather than starting with something small like a sunfish. I found one on craigslist, but have no idea if its a good buy or is a good boat. I have searched around a bit and read that it should be sturdy for ocean sailing and holds up well with time?

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/boa/d/sailboat-discoverer-annapolis/6401854656.html

So far, I've learned that sails, ropes, and pulleys all need to be in good condition (not sure exactly how to tell) and that a jib is very good to have for sailing. What should I be looking for when I go look at the boat? Again, I am new to this but am excited to learn!

I'd say that looks kinda pricey unless it's got a fair amount of new-ish gear.

Looks like it could be suitable for what you want, although it might shrink on the ocean especially with 4 people aboard. Sails are really expensive (a new set would cost about what this guy is asking for the boat), so check them thoroughly. Threadbare, stained, ripped stitches, etc etc, it's not that complicated. Good sailboat-type ropes are also expensive; sun-faded, powdery and/or stiff, again it's not rocket surgery. The pulleys are a bit more complicated, but you can look at all of them and make sure the little wheel inside is not jammed or chewed up. Don't forget the ones built into the mast for the ropes that pull the sails up (we call them "halyards" but I don't want to run ahead too far). Also check the rudder and it's hardware thoroughly.

Looks like a pretty good trailer. That's another very pricey item.

Getting the seller to take you for a demo sail is one of the best ways to make sure the boat is complete and the condition of all gear. Photos/video so you can refer to how it's rigged, later.

Personally, I would strongly recommend spending a bit more (BTW remember craigslist is really a game of "let's make a deal") and going for this one

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/boa/d/2000-west-wight-potter-19-new/6453719480.html

It's a much better boat, far more modern and will not need things like flotation added. IF you succeed in your ambition of sailing in the ocean, this boat will keep you and your lunch much drier!

FB- Doug

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/boa/d/2000-west-wight-potter-19-new/6453719480.html

It's a much better boat, far more modern and will not need things like flotation added. IF you succeed in your ambition of sailing in the ocean, this boat will keep you and your lunch much drier!

+1

Thanks for all the helpful information! The boat suggested would better suit what I am really looking for, but the problem is storing something of that size. I live in an HOA regulated area that has been pretty strict in terms of what can be visible behind the fence. Given that, the boat cannot exceed 6 feet max on a trailer. This boat exceeds these height requirements when I looked through specifications. I also currently cannot afford even the cheapest 3rd party storage, but are in my future plans for when I get a bigger boat (and finances) when I'm more experienced.

From my understanding, the first boat I inquired is questionable in regards to its condition. If its worth considering, I can inspect it to the best of my ability. I am not familiar with adding flotation and don't mind some work, I just want to make sure it works appropriately. I want to buy the correct boat the first time. If this is something that may not work well for me, I am patient and don't mind waiting for the right one to come along. I expect patience to be an important part of learning to sail.

16 hours ago, thengling said:

Hmm. Not familiar with that design. Looks like gear if missing is easily interchangeable with other classes. The deck-stepped mast might be a challenge. I can't tell -- is it raised using a tabernacle? Make sure the step is intact/complete. Does not appear to be self-rescuing -- might be prudent to apply some flotation. The last item has been discussed on several recent forums.

Which reminds me -- I believe posting pics of your favourite "flotation" is still a prerequisite for newcomers to SA.

If I understand correctly, your referring to a "flotation" device as something to keep my personal self from drowning (such as a life jacket)? If so, I am considering something more universal as I will also be getting into water sports in the near future. Here's a pic:

flotation.jpg.a7a4d26946516eabf6ec0c571cefce93.jpg

• Like 1

Don't start sailing in the ocean - it is unforgiving.

I don't intend on starting in the ocean. I was hoping there was something I could start learning on in the lakes for the first year or two. Once I was somewhat comfortable with sailing, I was hoping this same boat would be able to handle some ocean. 

I also did find those same classes here, I just prefer the idea of putting that money towards a boat. I do understand that classes would greatly accelerate my learning to sail. My plan was to take some free online sailing courses to get familiar and attend sailing club meets they have here for first time sailors. 

Hey guys I believe I found a boat that might actually work.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/boa/d/2000-catalina-capri-1420-mod/6463429613.html

From what I have read, this boat does not have positive buoyancy and can sink if filled with water. I found something called a Hobie Cast Mast Flotation to keep the boat from turtling. Will this be sufficient for me or will I need something more? I really do not want to lose a newer boat from the mistakes I will be making. Will this boat suit me well for what I'm looking for? I've read it can be a bit harder for new sailors, but more work/learning doesn't really scare me away from this. 

6 hours ago, IwannaBoat said:

Hey guys I believe I found a boat that might actually work.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/boa/d/2000-catalina-capri-1420-mod/6463429613.html

From what I have read, this boat does not have positive buoyancy and can sink if filled with water. I found something called a Hobie Cast Mast Flotation to keep the boat from turtling. Will this be sufficient for me or will I need something more? I really do not want to lose a newer boat from the mistakes I will be making. Will this boat suit me well for what I'm looking for? I've read it can be a bit harder for new sailors, but more work/learning doesn't really scare me away from this. 

That boat should have positive buoyancy (ie will not sink even if filled with water). You can check by getting a mechanics mirror and looking around inside the hull thru the hatch & inspection ports. I bet you will see blocks of foam (flotation).

A mast head float might be a good idea, these boats do not have good capsize behavior. They're not exciting to sail, either. But it should do for a beginner, and you're not in a hot spot of sailing.

I would strongly recommend getting involved in a sailing club & beginner's program. It sounds like you're all hot to buy a boat. Mistake. If you got the money, let it sit a while rather than burn a hole in your pocket. Once you know more, you can pick a better boat for yourself and not rely on strangers over the internet.

FB- Doug

I do understand that waiting might be the best option, and I have no problem with that. I have been keeping my eye out for the sailing club meets. So far the times conflict with my schedule. I just figured I could start learning on my own time if there was a good boat out there. 

I'm really surprised you guys didn't recommend this boat. I saw that it was being used as the primary training boat for new sailors. I guess once one is familiar with sailing, there are better boats out there for this type of sailing?

I've taught beginning adult sailing in Rhodes 19 and they were good starting boats. Not for crossing oceans or off shore but good for bays & coastal (light to med winds etc) I can't say how similar the A19 is to the R19 but if everything works correctly-( check the trailer out too) and the owner will demo it, Why not? As to price, U can always make an offer. The club association or some kind of lessons would be a good thing. I started out with a 19 footer and it suited my purposes for at least 5 enjoyable years. Get out and go sailing! .

Everything in life is not going to be perfect.

On 1/19/2018 at 9:53 AM, Grey Dawn said:

^^ Good advice

but if you still want to buy a 14 foot boat, here's one you can probably get for a song that will serve your purpose well. No tears.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/boa/d/sunfish/6419203838.html

Hmmm.... aside from my reservations on Sunfish as a beginners's/learning boat, I'd want to take a really hard look at the "repaired" area on the bow and the trailer. Rudder?

This one, if it's really complete and ready to sail, is a better deal (better trailer) and a lot more fun to sail. I used o have a Force Five and have thought about getting one again.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/boa/d/1987-force-five-sailboat/6461508599.html

-DSK

contact Arizona Yacht Club, find a guy named Emory...  Start sailing with him...or frankly any of those guys...but I would start by contacting Emory, and tell him Jimmy sent you.

The AYC guys are very good people who really know how to get you started.  You will spend (waste) much less money if you go that route.    Classes are not a bad idea, but finding sailors who are good at sailing and want to share & make new friends is THE best sailing class you will ever take.

This is a strategy that has never failed, and is the best way to turn a few minutes with we 'strangers on the internet' into  real world actual human friends.  Which while it may not be the most popular trend today...still has real value.

BTW 2k for that original boat is REALLY high  

• Like 1

I appreciate all the advice guys! I have been watching the AYC calendar to find an event that will work with my current schedule. Ill make sure to get in touch with him to get started!