teamvmg

A bit different!

I like it.  Reminds me of the first cat power boats, like the Magnum,.  Take a Hunt deep v and split in half.  Looks like a bargain.

Started out as a monohull and someone thought they could just split it down the middle and make a cat. Would probably sail better if they swapped the hulls out side to side.

2 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

Started out as a monohull and someone thought they could just split it down the middle and make a cat. Would probably sail better if they swapped the hulls out side to side.

yep and must have been a chainsaw artist, they even took care to split the rudder in half

I'm guessing its all about minimising wave interference/drag between the hulls. 

I'm not saying this theory has any legs, but i have seen it tried on a few other sailing cats.

Don't/haven't offshore power racing catamaran designers gone down this path? 

The story I got on how the tunnel Deep V offshore powercats evolved was that Don Aronow had sold once again one of his many power boat companies and the buyer insisted on a non-compete clause for the sale. Don had sold earlier companies after having won world championships and would just throw up a new building along Thunderboat Alley and build more race boats and beat the previous boats the next year.  He was limited by the non-compete to building only 12 boats in a year, hence the name 'Squadron 12' and decided to leave the racers alone and the Squad 12 boats were much bigger and lavishly furnished and more for Poker Runs and Bimbos in Bikini type of action. He sold the 12 boats out early in the year and it bugged him that he couldn't build any more boats and then somehow hit on the idea of splitting one of his successful Deep V hull down the centerline and creating the tunnel V configuration and started building those for George Bush and the DEA as 'drug interdiction' patrol boats. His claim was that the split Deep V was perfect for laying ahull in the night listening for the drug running boats since they didn't roll so bad and the crew would not be a seasick from the long wait for some action. His Mafia drug smuggler buddies got nervous with Don's new friendship with George but he assured them that the 'grey market' boats that he was shipping out the back door were still faster than the Blue Thunder split V's and installed underspec SF transmissions that would blow up after jumping a wave just to be sure. The Blue Thunder crews would take their flak jackets off and wear them on their asses when boarding the boats to protect their balls from the shrapnel the ZF's would make when they destructed. The split Deep V really caught on when Mike Peters added transverse steps and he soon was drawing the fastest boats on the circuit. A really rough race course would let the older Deep V's win on occasion but the spit V cats dominated to this day.

Still don't think that this idea has any merit for a sailing cat unless it is really fast and fully planing. Wetted surface is all wrong for a sailing cat.

Image result for blue thunder dea boat

Image result for blue thunder dea boat

Your story is close but it happened in the late 60s .  Most speed advances we for smuggling.

For  (non-extreme) sailing catamarans demi hulls will most likely not have a relevant effect on lift and wave resistance but they may be attractive for the ease of built, increased internal volume and more practical volume inside the hulls. This is a trade off against significant decreased crash resistance of the flat hull side (given all else like bulkheads comparable).