• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Editor

what's it for?

Yup: RS 21.

Similar in use to Balboa YC's GovCup (bee hive) 22 designed by Alan Andrews but with less sym and possibly wider adaptation.

Similar to J/70 but with less professionals (one can hope) and more local fleets / less travel (one can hope.)

I've always felt it's a shame the pros ruined the J/70; it had good potential to be a great club boat. On the upside, when the pros move to the next big (or, I guess, little) thing, there should be plenty of decent J/70s for sale. Then, maybe, it can become a great club boat.

3 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

Similar in use to Balboa YC's GovCup (bee hive) 22 designed by Alan Andrews but with less sym and possibly wider adaptation.

Similar to J/70 but with less professionals (one can hope) and more local fleets / less travel (one can hope.)

I've always felt it's a shame the pros ruined the J/70; it had good potential to be a great club boat. On the upside, when the pros move to the next big (or, I guess, little) thing, there should be plenty of decent J/70s for sale. Then, maybe, it can become a great club boat.

Pros didn’t ruin the J70. The owners that write the checks did. And it’s sure not ruined for all those being paid. I hope that class prospers and people keep paying for pros, might be less of them elsewhere.

3 hours ago, overdraft said:

what's the weird mainsheet podium/rollbar thingee all about?

Maybe allows you to trim the main in without so much leech tension, and ? as a boom crutch.Looks like an obstacle unnecessary for one design.

4 hours ago, overdraft said:

Do you have to ask?

It's clearly for the older sailors, bless their heart!

Half of one of these:

265588.jpg

• Like 3

Old skool thing - takes all the vertical load off the mainsheet, makes moving the boom in/out much easier/quicker. Leech tension controlled with the gnav

8 hours ago, Grey Dawn said:

RS 21 for club sailing

c_6638b7d0e6.jpeg

Interesting concept. Looks like it doesn't require water so it should be a much drier ride than some. Looks like a whole lot of rigging just to hold a spinnaker up. Will be slow upwind like that.

22 minutes ago, longy said:

Old skool thing - takes all the vertical load off the mainsheet, makes moving the boom in/out much easier/quicker. Leech tension controlled with the gnav

Loveday Loop IIRC

Just now, Rushman said:

Loveday Loop IIRC

Had those in Fireballs a loooong time ago

9 minutes ago, WestCoast said:

We are going to bring these in on the West Coast actually.

RS has their stuff together right now and is rolling.

As a purely academic question, do you know the price point?

DRC

3 hours ago, Grey Dawn said:

31,590 Euro

^^^ If you're talking  'landed, prepped, race sails, motor and trailer' -  might be close, but otherwise, that's off the mark.
I expect the base version to be significantly less than that in USD.

Dave - I don't know the final number, we expect to hear that in a week or so.
At the risk of putting my foot in my mouth, I won't say the final price I've been told informally.

3 hours ago, WestCoast said:

At the risk of putting my foot in my mouth, I won't say the final price I've been told informally.

Wise fellow. Back in 2015, a stupid kid with my name and social security number thought the UFO would retail for 5k.

DRC

• Like 1

On 1/17/2018 at 3:07 PM, Somebody Else said:

True, but sad commentary on the affect of PRO's on formerly "Corinthian" fleets.  

They plan to have a spin pole option for sailing schools and match racing. That bar in the middle of the main sheet caddy, stabilizer bar for those that need it and a guard for the Torqueedo which will come up out of the water when sailing. They have thought of a lot and will have the support as they already have dealers and have what it takes to support the fleet and a class. Should be a great small boat to travel. Stackable Hulls so throwing 3 on a trailer and driving across the country will be easy. They are at Dusseldorf Boot Show now so more to come this weekend.

Expected 2018 USD Pricing:

Dacron sails, no spin - $32,950
Mylar sails and spin - $36,870

--
Add freight, prep and whatever accessories for a total.

These are not 100% official yet, but I got them from on high - so expect them to be within 1-2% for 2018.

On 1/17/2018 at 2:54 PM, overdraft said:

it looks like someone unfamiliar with a sailboat cobbled that image together with pieces of images of other boats, including a pushpit in the middle of the cockpit and an inverted vang.

1 hour ago, WestCoast said:

Expected 2018 USD Pricing:

Dacron sails, no spin - $32,950
Mylar sails and spin - $36,870

--
Add freight, prep and whatever accessories for a total.

These are not 100% official yet, but I got them from on high - so expect them to be within 1-2% for 2018.

Trailer and engine included in these costs?

On 1/17/2018 at 10:54 PM, overdraft said:

18 hours ago, Parma said:

it looks like someone unfamiliar with a sailboat cobbled that image together with pieces of images of other boats, including a pushpit in the middle of the cockpit and an inverted vang.

Or, someone perfectly well acquainted with sailing boats, like Merlin Rockets:

_MG_1049-Edit-2.jpg

RS's first boat, the 400:

yandy40114.jpg

Or the K6

2006k6nationals4.jpg

Other option for mainsheet would be 2:1 on an aft bridle, which gives blocks thrashing around in tacks, gybes etc. Plus, it looks like the prop will be retracting, so a mainsheet hoop is a good way to protect the leg:

RS21_06.jpg

I can confirm my pricing is correct.  Already got a handful of inquiries for boats on the West Coast.  

There won't be a huge options list, but common accessories (expected pricing):

Custom Trailer: ~$3500-$4000
Retractable Torquedo: $2200-$2400

20+ sold at the boat show already there, so, it's certainly getting some attention.

On 1/20/2018 at 1:02 PM, Presuming Ed said:

Other option for mainsheet would be 2:1 on an aft bridle, which gives blocks thrashing around in tacks, gybes etc. Plus, it looks like the prop will be retracting, so a mainsheet hoop is a good way to protect the leg.

Plus, of course, the hoop means it's easier to get crew weight aft offwind compared to a bridle, especially since the boom end isn't at the transom.

1 hour ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

why is there a bag over the vang?

Stops crew/spinnaker etc getting caught up in the vang tackle.

No skin off my nose, but I wonder if there is really an infinite market for the ever-increasing numbers of small sportboats that are being designed and sold offered for sale.

1 hour ago, Svanen said:

No skin off my nose, but I wonder if there is really an infinite market for the ever-increasing numbers of small sportboats that are being designed and sold offered for sale.

How many will sell enough to create decent OD fleets??

1 hour ago, Sail4beer said:

Or a Fareast 23r

How is the Fareast used market in the Us? I've only seen a 26 in Southern California, that doesn't get much use.

1 hour ago, billy backstay said:

How many will sell enough to create decent OD fleets??

Very few. Which would be no big deal if we were talking cruising boats, but is pretty stupid for racing.

I don't particularly want to see everything standardized by the fiat of some committee. But it seems counter-productive to the sport's interests to have many isolated little pockets of ODs rather than fewer large, healthy classes.

The only 'benefit' of the many new classes is that it's much easier to become a champion ("shhh, don't tell anyone there were only five boats at this year's Nationals").

I am guessing a club with moneyed members will not be interested in sinking about £350,000 for a fleet of 10 club boats for week night racing. I am not seeing why this is anymore that a £20k boat including options. Going to be fun for everyone hiking off the back of this bus with no footloops.

yawn

5 hours ago, Svanen said:

Not sure I would call it a sportboat - more like a daysailer/club sailer

On 2018-01-22 at 12:49 PM, Presuming Ed said:

Stops crew/spinnaker etc getting caught up in the vang tackle.

Hmmm. Seems to me like a solution in search of a problem. I would be more concerned about the bag itself becoming inadvertently pushed into / caught in the kicker.

3 hours ago, Ross said:

How is the Fareast used market in the Us? I've only seen a 26 in Southern California, that doesn't get much use.

Not the same beast at all. You’ll have to check out the videos and see the newer boats since ‘14...

2 hours ago, bdu98252 said:

I am guessing a club with moneyed members will not be interested in sinking about £350,000 for a fleet of 10 club boats for week night racing.

One can certainly quibble about this particular boat's features/price/raison d'être; but IMO sinking money into a small fleet of OD boats for members' weeknight and weekend racing is generally an excellent investment in a club's future. Much better than installing a swimming pool or similar frills, anyway!

RS them selves don't seem to be calling this a sportsboat. The primary focus is on participation and involvement for everyone on board rather that an arbitrary performance focused qualification.

Is there a market? Its not so much whether this is any different from the 20fter on the next stand or the one further along the isle, the question is whether there are enough groups of sailors that don't want to sail together to need a new boat.

The Melges 20 scene is more Dragon than the J/70s Thistle.

With the team and collective ownership focus they're giving this they are ticking all the "what is Gen Z" boxes. More power to them for that.

13 hours ago, Svanen said:

One can certainly quibble about this particular boat's features/price/raison d'être; but IMO sinking money into a small fleet of OD boats for members' weeknight and weekend racing is generally an excellent investment in a club's future. Much better than installing a swimming pool or similar frills, anyway!

We installed the pool. The fatties sunning their hides are so lazy that we built a snack shack and bar next to it so the wouldn’t have to walk all the way to the club.

Starting to look like the poolside from Wall-e around there

We should have bought some boats instead...

CDE7E565-C262-454C-A80B-E2B7ED2E26DE.jpeg