Sign in to follow this  
DaveK

Screecher fabric weight

I have a 24' Corsair Sprint 750 and the screecher is really heavy. Like jib weight heavy. I had one made for my Weta that was .75oz material and is really nice. Obviously, this is too light of material for the bigger boat but how light can I go and still be ok? I'm not gonna use this sail to get upwind in any breeze at all.

Hee's the photo with the bigger light weight screecher.

weta.jpg

My F24 screacher from the factory was pentex...as you said, heavy fabric and suitable for use as a jib.  It was useful on reaches but not very useful to weather even in light breeze.  Nylon on the weta works because the sail is cut flat'ish and it also is not very useful for going to weather.  If you want the sail to be useful on reaches only, you can have your sailmaker make it from nylon.  You could also have him make it from code zero fabric, but it won't last as long as nylon but it will work closer to the wind in bigger wind.  The issue with nylon is it distorts (stretches) and changes the shape to become less effective.  What I ended up doing with my F24 was to make a windseeker  from .75 oz nylon but cut flat; 12% camber placed 35% aft.  This sail was useful to weather in breeze below 6 kts and useful on reaches into the mid teens and useful downwind in big wind (30+ kts sail was too small to cause a pitchpole).   The windseeker needs a luff rope inserted to help keep the luff tight-even if you aren't furling it.  I sheeted the windseeker from the front aka well (hoisting eye) when going to weather and further outboard on the aka when reaching.  YMMV

Well you are right Thom that nylon doesn't last very long. Weta class screechers really suck since they don't last long at all.... I had 4 of them blown out and I certainly don't want nylon for this sail either. I also don't believe the one in the above pic is nylon as well but could be wrong.

Hmm....Only sprit sails I've seen on Weta's are nylon.  They may be heavier than .75 oz, but nylon none the less. 

Suggest you go to your local loft and ask the sailmaker.  There are a lot of fabric choices today.  I'm not sure why you want a light weight fabric for a reaching sail. On a 750 on a reach, the AWA will likely be between 70 and 110 and (depending on your windspeed/boatspeed) probably about 30 kts AWS (apparent wind speed).   Given that the trick is to keep the luff tight which puts lots of load on your sprit and mainsheet tension is the only way to get that...the fabric doesn't enter much into the equation.

BTW, I was referring to the code zero fabric that didn't last long...I've never blown out any nylon sail.   Torn lots of them, but the nice thing about nylon is after it stretches, it goes back into its original shape. 

Talk to your Sailmaker.... there ARE lots of new fabrics out there.......

Better still, talk to at least 3 Sailmakers.....