Sign in to follow this  
Dirty Oar

Islander 27

well you guys, I'm on the hunt for a boat again. 

my last search didn't pan out so I took a break

now, I have a lead on some boats, and the one I'm looking at is an Islander 27 built in 1970. 

problem is, ive never heard much about islanders 

what can be said for this brand and for this particular model?

Islanders are generally pretty good yachts. Of the '60s-'70s Costa Mesa builders, Cal and Islander and Ericson were probably the best built production boats of the burgeoning Costa Mesa fiberglass empire.

I don't know about the Islander 27 specifically, but if you could find an Islander 28 for even double the cost of the 27, you would be in possession of a better-sailing boat with much nicer interior.

Depending on where you are, i may have a boat for you.  1977 Islander 32.  Great strong comfortable cruising boat. We have decided to move up in size.  Classic Bob Perry design. PM me if you like. 

varekai 10.jpg

So the 70' Ferro cement boat didn't work out?

Islanders age good boats but with any 48 year old sailboats, check the usual items: mast step, chain plates, through hulls, etc, etc, etc.

What are your plans for the boat? Its a little tight for a live aboard although I know a couple who lived year round on an Irwin 28 so its not impossible.

21 hours ago, Dirty Oar said:

well you guys, I'm on the hunt for a boat again. 

my last search didn't pan out so I took a break

now, I have a lead on some boats, and the one I'm looking at is an Islander 27 built in 1970. 

problem is, ive never heard much about islanders 

what can be said for this brand and for this particular model?

I have an Islander 28, and love it; don't know the 27, it looks more smaller than the 1 foot difference might indicate. 

Using car analogies from 'back in the day', I often say that if the Catalina 27 is a Chevy Nova, the Islander is at least an Oldsmobile in terms of build, fit and finish.