• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
GXMarsh

SuperFoiler Grand Prix 2018

On 10/02/2018 at 2:47 PM, MR.CLEAN said:

Jesus I haven't seen this much whinging since my kid was 4 months old.

We have been fans of the Superfoiler from the beginning.  We are simply tired of the fact that no one's figured out how to sail the thing in like two years of testing.  If Glenn, Nathan, and Goobs can barely get it around the course in the flattest water anywhere, maybe it's time to fix the design?  I get that the Macartneys goal is to be so extreme that only the 'best' can handle them, but two years?   And in the meantime, the racing is fucking terrible to watch.

how long did it take the skiffies to figure out the Grand Prix boats the last time round?  How long did it take the 49erers to figure those out?  Maybe 2-3 years is normal, but it seems like an awful lot of time.  

You just demonstrated very clearly that you do NOT understand whats going on here.

The last 4 boats were launched a few weeks before Adelaide...

Yes they have had 2 SF's flying around on Sydney Harbour for  testing, but seriously. 2 years blah blah?

They didn't have the Dream Team for testing which really shows. But not a bad effort to launch SIX boats, when they said they would.

Some of the sailors only got their boats a day before Adelaide. And look at them all improving massively, if you were really watching that is.

Not like your effort on the ficticious front page "After a couple of aborted events etc etc". Well, factually, they launched and raced on the day they said they would.

FFS It was live streaming! I've seen quite a few of your 'live streaming' efforts and none was 100% perfect. And lets not forget the subject of pink flags mate.

My understanding is that each round will be compressed to a 30(?) minute commercial show to be screened later in the year, Just as they did for the GP18's during the lunch break at the cricket. That sort of exposure is not to be sneezed at as we face the decline in our sport.

I love it because it is exciting to watch. And its free. And I can turn the sound off as I often do.

Yes its not perfect but anyone who is not captivated by the footage of Euroflex when they really got it flying, obviously has no concept of the actual level of skill of both the designers and the sailors.

And if it offends anyone, they are quite welcome and capable of turning the bloody FREE livestream off!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, martin.langhoff said:

I'm finding it quite enjoyable actually. All the whining here is quite amusing in fact.

Some folks are putting serious money into entertaining us, and expanding the reach of our sport, and the best we can do is rag  endlessly about the commentary. Go sail yourself ffs :-)

I sail a foiling cat, and I'd love to get on these machines. The format and the boats need improvement, sure. The commentary too. And I'll cheer them on as they go improving it, and say good things about the generous sponsors who bankroll the show, and fund its sailors' careers. 

Think SF is schintzy? Let's see you do better.

We're spoiled I think. We have M32 cats, GR32 cats, Nacra 17 foilers, AC, the manic multihulls that broke records crossing the Atlantic a few weeks ago, and that's just multihulls,  all with drones and on board cameras and stats and GPS trackers, live or promptly published online with spectacular videos, all at no cost to us. 

I just walked on a dock today because I spotted a cool cat and found myself talking with Tom Slingsby who was heading out on his M32 to wrap up the winter series. 

I don't think there's been this much really cool sailing, much of it sponsored (read: paying sailors a salary), within easy reach (to watch) no matter where you are.

the fact you sail a foiling cat makes you less that 0.001% of the potential audience.

5 hours ago, samc99us said:

darth-reapius, 

As an avid skier I had to go look up your B.S comments regarding safety. Snow sports are extremely safe, with an average of 41 deaths per year in the U.S and over 9 million participants per year: https://www.nsaa.org/media/68045/NSAA-Facts-About-Skiing-Snowboarding-Safety-10-1-12.pdf

Team_GBR,

Rarely do I disagree with you but try driving in any major U.S city sometime. By far the most dangerous activity I do is driving, that includes to and from the club where I keep my foiling A cat and F18 with potentially deadly long boards. It's the advent of internet enabled phones and distracted drivers who probably shouldn't have received a license in the first place (here in the U.S our standards are lax, and cops more interested in speeding tickets than distracted drivers or those who don't know what a turn signal means).

As to the super foiler, I have mixed opinions. They have some decent action tv appeal and are pretty quick, plus 3 up makes for interesting crew dynamics. I'm not sold on the need for battery power nor the 3 point foiling tacks/gybes. Z's would probably be faster for course racing, but interestingly even D3 applied technologies, world leader in Z board design selected a massive J board for the new Flying Phantom Ultimate, so clearly the math says 3 foils are less draggy than 4...

I said worldwide mate not in just the USA, there's a shitload more countries with a lot more skiing than the USA in the world.

As someone who's skied and boarded in many many countries, I can tell you that one country I have been to had well over 100 per year alone, also note that there are quite a few countries in the world with ski resorts, Add up the totals from the USA, Canada, Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Australia, New Zealand, China, South Korea, North Korea, Japan, India, Iran, Israel, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Pakistan, Russia, Turkey, Albania, Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia, Bulgaria, Croatia, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Kosovo, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Montenegro, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Ukraine and the UK, are just all the major countries with multiple ski resorts, the USA of all having probably the best safety record of them all and therefor the lowest mortality rate.

Adds up to a couple thousand pretty quick, hell we get a few dozen here in Australia, and we have like 6 SHITHOUSE tiny resorts.

Has it never occurred to you that travel insurance for a worldwide holiday will cover everything from international flights to skydiving, but explicit states that it doesn't include snow-sports, and that it's $100 for 3 months of travel insurance and $200 just for snow sports cover?

I lived in ski resorts for 6 seasons all around the world (Yeah I stopped sailing for a few years some years back now and solely focused on boarding).

Try looking it up? Oh wait, the only one who publishes their deaths is the USA, because everyone sue's the f*** out of each other so it becomes public knowledge, but I can tell you around the world ski resorts do everything they can to sweep deaths under the rug as the bad publicity would seriously hurt business.

9 hours ago, Qman said:

the fact you sail a foiling cat makes you less that 0.001% of the potential audience.

Family and friends are all "traditional sailors", cruising about in 25-45 footers, sometimes a club race. We're all crazy about recent ACs. Extreme sailing series are also a lot of fun to watch.

It was a bit too much AC foiling cat watching that did me in, so I got a "family foiler", something I can sail with my 8 year old son (see posts on the Whisper thread). 

Compare this with my teens. I was bored out of my skull on lasers, in the mid-90s, completely oblivious that on the other side of the world the Sydney Skiffs were on fire. It would have radically changed my teen and 20s sailing to watch them go.

16 hours ago, martin.langhoff said:

Some folks are putting serious money into entertaining us, and expanding the reach of our sport,

17 hours ago, martin.langhoff said:

say good things about the generous sponsors who bankroll the show

FFS! That is the most stupid statement. Get real! They are doing it for the money. This is a commercial venture and it really is that simple. We are the consumers of their product and as with everything in the commercial world, the consumer has the right to review the product and pass judgement.

To think of the sponsors as "generous" and that the bankroll the show is also very naive. These sponsors are doing it to promote their business. They have been promised certain exposure in return for their money. When they signed up, they considered that they would get a return on their spend.

I believe that the SF series is doing our branch of the sport more harm than good. It is perpetuating the myth that foiling is incredibly hard and can only be done by the superstars. I believe it is doing the wider sport harm as well, because yet again sailing is showing it doesn't make great TV. The only reason you think it is great is because of your affinity with this branch of sailing because you sail a foiler. For non sailors, it isn't good watching. I think people have every right to be critical.

16 hours ago, cosmicsedso said:

The last 4 boats were launched a few weeks before Adelaide...

Yes they have had 2 SF's flying around on Sydney Harbour for  testing, but seriously. 2 years blah blah?

They didn't have the Dream Team for testing which really shows. But not a bad effort to launch SIX boats, when they said they would.

Some of the sailors only got their boats a day before Adelaide. And look at them all improving massively, if you were really watching that is.

Not like your effort on the ficticious front page "After a couple of aborted events etc etc". Well, factually, they launched and raced on the day they said they would.

FFS It was live streaming! I've seen quite a few of your 'live streaming' efforts and none was 100% perfect. And lets not forget the subject of pink flags mate.

My understanding is that each round will be compressed to a 30(?) minute commercial show to be screened later in the year, Just as they did for the GP18's during the lunch break at the cricket. That sort of exposure is not to be sneezed at as we face the decline in our sport.

I love it because it is exciting to watch. And its free. And I can turn the sound off as I often do.

Yes its not perfect but anyone who is not captivated by the footage of Euroflex when they really got it flying, obviously has no concept of the actual level of skill of both the designers and the sailors.

And if it offends anyone, they are quite welcome and capable of turning the bloody FREE livestream off!

You and Clean are at different ends of the same spectrum and both of you are spinning a story to suit your own POV.

While the SF hasn't been sailing for 2 years, it has been in development for almost that amount of time. To get the boats launched as late as they did is poor, seeing when they started. They delayed and delayed building the rest of the platforms, which is what caused the problems, when they could have built them far earlier. The moulds were made, the hulls were not going to change. They could and should have had the boats earlier. Where they really stuffed up is they under estimated how long it would take to learn to sail the boats. The only question that raises is could the teams have got more practice time. These are pro sailors from around the world who do have other things to do and expect to be paid for their time.

The reason these boats are under developed is because they didn't know what they were doing. They thought they could stick 18' skiff sailors on the boat and work out how to sail them. They refused to turn to people who were experienced in foiling boats until the last minute when they realised that they had a boat that none of the signed up teams would be able to get around a course. They had no option but to buy in the "dream team" otherwise they would have had the situation where most of the teams would not have got around the course in any breeze. The story is that the dream team found a boat that was close to unsailable, even by them. They made major changes to the systems, but even then, there are significant things that they simply didn't have the budget or the time to correct. If they survive to next year and can raise the funds, the boats will be a lot better. They could have been a lot better this time around.

You say you love it because it is exciting to watch. I say there is almost zero excitement. You marvel at the skills. I sit there thinking how good the dream team lok next to almost everybody else. Maybe because I have sailed with those guys in foiling boats I am a bit desensitised to their skill, but the novelty of watching them get around the course wore off very fast.

Each to their own. You like what you see. i don't. You are prepared to excuse a commercial organisation for weaknesses in the product because you like the product, I call them out because I believe they really stuffed up. I watched the early races but am now bored.  I will probably watch the first TV broadcasts just to see how they edit it all together in an attempt to create excitement, but unless there are some major changes, I won't be watching much else. You will probably watch everything they produce and enjoy it and who am i to say you shouldn't enjoy it.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, A Class Sailor said:

FFS! That is the most stupid statement. Get real! They are doing it for the money. This is a commercial venture and it really is that simple. We are the consumers of their product and as with everything in the commercial world, the consumer has the right to review the product and pass judgement.

I do pass judgement, and it's a work in progress, but I compare it with similar very early stage projects and say: it's already pretty good.

I've worked in a wide range of ventures, none of them sport, some of which were sponsor backed. Even when it's business, there's heart. They could very well spend it on something else, specially if the sailing community turns out to be obnoxious. I've seen it happen. You try to work with (or do business with) nice people. Sponsors do, too.

Every venture has a number of tradeoffs, paths picked vs the alternatives, mistakes made. Consequences to decisions, some predictable, some not. It's facile to play armchair quarterback on huge projects like these. Too many people, too many variables at play.

As you say, you don't enjoy it. To each their own. I suggest, grant it time to develop, check back. How long did the GP era in Sydney take to really come alive? Couple years?

Look -- if we're civil towards others' unfinished, unpolished projects, perhaps they'll be civil and patient towards ours, when we bring them to the public eye, a bit green around the edges but wanting to grow and kick ass.

"Yet" is a fantastic word. Attach it to the end of critical comments liberally. ("Commentary is not that great. Yet.").

2 hours ago, martin.langhoff said:

As you say, you don't enjoy it. To each their own. I suggest, grant it time to develop, check back. How long did the GP era in Sydney take to really come alive? Couple years?

I think the situation with the Superfoiler is very different to the GP era in Australia from 1987 to around 1997, even though some of the people are the same.

You can read the history on the web, but I think the main points are the following:

In 1987 the 18 footers had been developed by top level sailors and designers over many decades. If you go back long enough this included Bex Lexan, but just prior to the GP it included Iain Murray and Julian Bethwaite. The class was leading the world in developing fast and spectacular monohulls.

The main thing that Grand Prix Sailing contributed is that they improved the presentation of the boats for a short TV program. They had short windward-leeward courses with gates. This is all very common now, but back in 1987 the 18 footers raced mainly long triangle or harbour courses.

As well as this, for a few years GP Sailing had the half hour TV slot in the lunch time break during the Test cricket. This is an fantastic spot for the boat sponsors - they got a lot of prime time advertising as part of the deal (think of an Australian version of half time at the Super Bowl - it doesn't matter what they put on - everybody is watching anyway).

The GP was hugely successful while they had this TV spot, but they were at the whim of the TV network. Once they lost their prime TV slot things were never the same and their demise was no surprise to anyone.

I don't really see any similarity with the Superfoiler.

Now they are trying to develop a new boat - before they did a good job marketing an existing boat.

Now they have a lot of competition with other classes - before they didn't have anything similar to the 18 footers to worry about.

PS

They also sped up the TV footage back in the 80s and 90s. Those videos you may have seen are not in real time. They sped up the footage to make things look more exciting. Maybe they can try that trick again.

54 minutes ago, Fireball said:

They also sped up the TV footage back in the 80s and 90s. Those videos you may have seen are not in real time. They sped up the footage to make things look more exciting. Maybe they can try that trick again.

Maybe just speed up the footage on Kleenmaid

I'm surprised by the lack support for these guys, or though it appears a lot of the haters are internationals observers.

I was in Geelong for the last series and it was fantastic. 

The course was as close as possible to the pier and marina, which gave for some incredible spectating, however it also meant it was very gusty, any cat sailor would struggle to fly a hull 100% in those conditions let along foil. 

The media coverage is some of the best I've ever seen for a sailing event and the ability to walk up to the boats and sailors post race and have a chat is priceless. 

The boats are a challenge to sail, but thats the point.

Talk to any Australian around in the old 18foot days and they will remember the skiff boats in between the cricket. That series was developed not for close tactical racing but for extreme visuals that would appeal to the non-sailing sports fan. 

If you want close, tactical and boring racing go watch a match racing series, there are plenty of them around. 

If you want cutting edge foiling, setup for live stadium style racing, go to the event and watch it. 

• Like 2

Gold Coast Seaway Forecast

I know it;s a bit early but MetEye is showing a real mix of weather, and none of it SE.

Fri 17kn NE at 1300hrs then 15kn NE at 1600

Sat  11kn ESE at 1300 then 13 E at 1600

Sun  12 E at 1300 then 13E at 1600

None of those wind directions are going to be terribly helpful. SE would be ideal.

Race management are going to have a tough job trying to conduct this event on the Broadwater.

Low tide Friday 1505 EST Saturday 1537 EST Sunday 1611 EST

And it will be warm, so the breeze will be a bit soft.

What about racing outside the Seaway,  and right in front of Surfers Paradise? The tourists would love it, but I imagine the ocean swells might be a problem for foiling.

I'd love to have a blast on one of these SF's.

For me, the fact that the sailors are new to the boat, is positive. Makes it interesting to watch, and follow their progress. It also gives some insight into how much skill is needed to become a good sailor, and the incredible gains that can be made if you are. The dream team was 50% faster than the slowest boat in the gusty conditions on Sunday. In another thread about a-cat races, Glenn Ashby was 50% faster than most of the fleet, in gusty conditions. That amazes me, that it's possible to read the wind, trim the sails, and steer the boat, in a way which makes the boat so much faster.

So I have enjoyed watching these races. The commentators, who were a bit hesitant/unsynced in the first races, are getting a nice flow in their commentary. And it's pure joy to watch the foilers at full flight downwind.

23 hours ago, cosmicsedso said:

Gold Coast Seaway Forecast

I know it;s a bit early but MetEye is showing a real mix of weather, and none of it SE.

Friday is still looking like NE, but Saturday and Sunday are a lot more SSE to SE, which should be fine.

45 minutes ago, RobG said:

Friday is still looking like NE, but Saturday and Sunday are a lot more SSE to SE, which should be fine.

Where will you be watching from?

I have one piece of criticism though:

Why don't they bring some basic spare parts to the locations where they race?

The minimum should be an extra set of boards, rudders, sails, and all the small bits of ropes and pulleys for the rigging. And ideally,  they should bring one of these sets for each team. And finally, a spare boat.

According to the news, one team member had to drive 1800km this weekend to get some spare parts. And I think we can conclude that an extra set of boards doesn't even exist, since one team couldn't race on Sunday after a board was damaged.

7 hours ago, monochrome said:

According to the news, one team member had to drive 1800km this weekend to get some spare parts. 

"...transport spare parts." is different from your "...get some spare parts."

Parko drove from Geelong to the Gold Coast to bring the spare parts to the next race. It is approximately 1800kms from Geelong to the Gold Coast. Australia is actually quite a large country.

That said, I understand the point you are making and fundamentally agree. Again, back to the fact that this is a new series and they are still getting it all together. Things are definitely improving.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RobG said:

I'll try Angler's Park on Saturday, what do you think the crowd will be like?

They are getting press. The local rag ran a feature.

That said, I doubt the crowds will be huge. All the local yachties will be out and about. Lots of high rise apartment buildings will get a good view too. Be interesting to see what the 'official' crowd figures will be. How would you count them?

For today, Friday, with the wind at NNE peaking 14kn at 1pm, I would have a serious look at South Straddie or Wavebreak.

Its bloody hot here too.

13 hours ago, monochrome said:

I have one piece of criticism though:

Why don't they bring some basic spare parts to the locations where they race?

The minimum should be an extra set of boards, rudders, sails, and all the small bits of ropes and pulleys for the rigging. And ideally,  they should bring one of these sets for each team. And finally, a spare boat.

According to the news, one team member had to drive 1800km this weekend to get some spare parts. And I think we can conclude that an extra set of boards doesn't even exist, since one team couldn't race on Sunday after a board was damaged.

Have a guess how much money Bill Macartney has had to pull together to get this show happening.

Do you really think he wouldn't want all those spares? He has done an amazing job just to get it to this stage. And don't forget that we are watching "Livestream" he is providing for FREE. Livestream by definition is a warts and all operation. SF are looking to severely edit this footage for later transmission on 7, which is one of the bigger TV broadcasters in Aust. Apart from the S2H we see NOTHING of our sport on TV. SF have managed to snag a spot, and from what I have seen so far they will have lots of good action to use and they will edit out the commentator picking his nose, AND it will be good for sailing.

BTW Parko comes from Perth WA, so to him 1800kms is not a big trip at all.

No more racing for the day. Outa time. Theyre towing back in.

Euro awesome as usual.

RP huge improvement... right up there compared to the rest.

Tmw u can go back to proper reporting via the livestream. 

Sorry no decent photos as bit grey and storms in the hills...

• Like 1

On 2/14/2018 at 1:57 PM, cosmicsedso said:

What about racing outside the Seaway,  and right in front of Surfers Paradise? The tourists would love it, but I imagine the ocean swells might be a problem for foiling.

Maybe, TC Gita is sending some very large waves to the GC, so inside the Broadwater is the only option.

Surfers 'frothing' as big waves predicted for Queensland's southern coastline

9454870-3x2-700x467.jpg

23 minutes ago, Allante said:

No more racing for the day. Outa time. Theyre towing back in.

Where did they set the course? Must have been fairly short with a NE'ster. 

It was southern end of deep hole down to NE corner if wavebreak.

Really short.

Euro could lay both marks on a single board, most if the others had to throw a tack ir gybe in.

So pretty skwed course.

SE tmw so hopefully better and more stable

2 hours ago, Allante said:

It was southern end of deep hole down to NE corner if wavebreak.

Really short.

Euro could lay both marks on a single board, most if the others had to throw a tack ir gybe in.

So pretty skwed course.

SE tmw so hopefully better and more stable

Thanks for that. Well played!

Forecast has changed to a much better ESE at 13 to 15kn

I'll be there for the final day on Sunday.

My non sailing friends have just visited the Launch Pad at SYC Hollywell. They were blown out by the boats and the friendliness of the sailors. They liked Pavement the best, which I thought had the worst paint job of the lot.

There seems to be a good buzz around town too.

Can someone tell SF that they have a rather bad typo on their results page. Kleenmaid not Keelnmaid ffs. Sponsors would not be impressed mispelling their "NAME".

Cheers

Sorry, I have been working all day so missed it all.

Any comments on the racing today?

Good, bad, indifferent?

Did I miss anything?

Thanks in advance...

Pretty good watching from Angler's, but would have been better to be on the sandbank on the northern end of Wave Break Is. Probably about the best conditions they'll ever get on the Gold Coast, though a bit gusty.

For those that missed the tech2 double–handed dismount:

37 minutes ago, Tornado_ALIVE said:

If you missed it, just go to their website and watch it.  I was on the water all day today so will be watching it tonight.

https://www.superfoiler.com/events/gold-coast/

Yes, thank you, I obviously will be.

I was actually asking if there was any opinion/comments as the forum was relatively quiet.

Racing improving, Euroflex only won race 5 by 1 second, but they cleared out in race 4 deapite losing Goob overboard and did a horizon job in race 6, commentary still fucking woeful.

Race 1 was abandoned on the last lap after the top mark had to be cut free from 1 of the boats which ran it over, bottom gate poorly positioned relative to a channel marker. 

• Like 1

It was exciting to watch.

Anchored inline with s.finish, so plenty of action, especially with 2 guys spat overboard as tech2 wiped out or spun out on the finish line as in video above.

Lots of action all the time, full video worth watching.

Most had problems undercooking layline as the tide was ripping upwind at bottam mark.

Look forward to tomorrow

Am i the only one thinking that euroflex did faul on race5 end? I am not really sure they conoketed the gybe before take 2 had to take evasive action

1 hour ago, 17mika said:

Am i the only one thinking that euroflex did faul on race5 end? I am not really sure they conoketed the gybe before take 2 had to take evasive action

No, here's the incident is just after 1:04:45 in the live stream. Let the armchair experts go wild. ;-)

17 hours ago, 17mika said:

Wouldn't have wanted to be Ashby in the Coroners Court if Tech2 hadn't reacted in that manner.

• Downvote 1

I was down there this morning having a look close up at the boats.

Wow! They are really something!

Hats off to the Morelli Melvin people and the guys maintaining the electrics.

Of course the emphasis was foils, foils and more foils. Trying to keep them in perfect condition is really difficult as they can be damaged in the cassette box if handled crudely. The foils down low are so thin, couldn't be more than 25mm at the thickest and then they get so thin down to the 1mm thick leading /trailing edges. I still can't get over how something so small is both physical size and chord with can support the weight of the boat and the sailors.

And everywhere you looked there were guys wet sanding foils!

Livestream is now up!

• Downvote 1

I really like the format but all I see is a financial collapse. Why would you ship from the Gold Coast to WA and back again to the East Coast? Once people get used to sailing them it could be ok but talented guys getting worried in 16 knots on short courses is a concern. Why wouldn't you just set up with M32's?

1 hour ago, thetruth said:

I really like the format but all I see is a financial collapse. Why would you ship from the Gold Coast to WA and back again to the East Coast? Once people get used to sailing them it could be ok but talented guys getting worried in 16 knots on short courses is a concern. Why wouldn't you just set up with M32's?

Financial collapse? And you know the financials of SF? Maybe you would like to put on a show like this so you can show us how clever you are.

I call bullshit.

I really don't understand why people choose to anonomously talk an exciting new idea down. Pretty pathetic!

Wow. All I asked was why increase the cost by two times in terms of travel. Again if you read my text, I support it , but it needs a lot of money. Why do you fucking Aussies pull the trigger so early? Read what I said...............................

So, Tech 2 takes out the top mark on the second lap causing the race to be as they say ‘abandoned’ however what they did was shorten the race without flags or notice at the previous bottom gate rounding.

Tech 2 was in second at that bottom gate rounding so they finish second dispite their indiscretion.  How is this fair racing for the others and who the hell makes up rules like this :wacko:

Exactly, Tech2 should have been DNF or DSQ for causing that shit fight. I wonder how pleased the guys on Record Point or iD are with the results.

Agree that the schedule of events is fucking dumb as well, starting either in Busselton or the GC and working their way around the bottom then back up the other side of the continent would have made more sense travel wise.

2 hours ago, Tornado_ALIVE said:

How is this fair racing for the others and who the hell makes up rules like this :wacko:

No one cares.  No offence intended but they are performing monkeys for the pay TV and internet audience.  Crashes and incidents are good for ratings. 

Even bogans who do not know shit about sailing will be asking their workmates if they saw the capsize.  Just like they did about the 18 footers swearing.

• Like 1

Remember we are seeing raw live footage of what will be edited into a TV series. Indiscretions like hooking the mark will be edited out. They are spending big but returns are intended to come from TV advertising and maybe bigger boat sponsors in future years. Success will be judged later based on TV ratings. I do not know of any other TV production who shows their production live without editing. Thats a brave move but is generating interest.

15 hours ago, thetruth said:

Why would you ship from the Gold Coast to WA and back again to the East Coast?

Yeah, must have been some sort of scheduling thing. They wanted to cover WA as it is a strong sailing market. Then they wanted to end up back in Sydney for the final as it is their home base and probably the most spectacular backdrop in terms of vision.

The financials - don't know, I'll leave that to them. I have to take my socks off to count past ten.

19 hours ago, cosmicsedso said:

Hats off to the Morelli Melvin people

Why do you say that? Most people who know foiling think they have designed a pig of a boat. Foils are very average and don't self level enough meaning the control systems need to be over used, the rig is poorly designed and the control systems originally specified make the boat hard to sail. They didn't have the money to make new foils or the rig, but once the "dream team" got on board, there were significant changes to systems to make the boat sailable, although there are still a lot more that should be made but they ran out of both time and money.

If the series goes on from here and they get the budget, I expect to see significant changes to the boats and that will make the racing far closer.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Phil S said:

Remember we are seeing raw live footage of what will be edited into a TV series. Indiscretions like hooking the mark will be edited out.

I bet they don't! They've left Pavement T–boning the start boat in the Day 2 highlights reel (arguably worse than picking up a mark), it's the stuff that keeps the hoi polloi interested!

The top mark was in a diabolically difficult place, no surprise that boats had trouble or hooked up on it. Pavement caught one of the bottom marks on Day 2 also. The coverage really doesn't show just how small the race course was. Not only the tide, but the effect of the southern tip of Straddie on the breeze was messing things up as well.

I think Nathan Outteridge summed it up pretty well: when there's plenty of space, no problem. But with a compressed field, difficult conditions and hard to sail boats, things will happen (which is probably exactly what the sponsors want, personal injuries excluded).

I don't see how Superfoiler are going to get the TV audience it hopes for. They are showing the programme of a secondary channel, 7Mate, which is known for an audience of bogen men aged below 40. I can see that with good marketing, sailors might switch on, but if they want to build audience, it's hard to see them doing it on that channel. I seriously questioon whether the 7Mate audience is the target market for most of the sponsors.

I do note that they say Superfoiler GP is a "3 year project" so maybe they signed sponsors up for more than just the initial year. Good luck to them, because while I am critical of where they are at the moment, I do hope they get it all together and it works.

I like how the bottom gate was placed near a navigation mark so that if they went through on starboard they risked colliding with it.  No other class I know would have done that, it was madness.

• Like 2