Maroon

Sailors Powerboat

Dyer 29

The only caveat is it has to be an older one before they (like so many others) bowed to the 'consumer need' for full standing headroom for seven footers. The newer ones just look too top heavy and out of scale. But reliable as hell and a nice seaworthy hull.

• Like 1

If I were to be in the market I'd be looking for 2 types of boats:

1. Something to bob out on the lake with the family for the day, in which case it's a twin screw 24-26' Pursuit Walk-around

2. Something old school with classic lines, in which case it's a wooden Lyman in the 20-24' range.

I'd honestly rather have a Parker dual console than the Melges. Both will be gas hogs though. 

For me the perfect sailor's powerboat would be one of John Atkin's Ninigrets. You'd have build it or have someone do it for you though. 

ffddcffaa42b5f2e9431a0e1275aca8f.jpg

2 hours ago, dacapo said:

Grady White center console 

I had a G-W and it was a fantastic boat until I was out the day after Christmas and the engine put a rod through the block :angry:

This thread is utterly worthless without a price range and desired use for the boat.

Just FYI, I have one sailboat, one RIB, and one Boston Whaler.

17 minutes ago, mcsailor0303 said:

Some of those modern designs are really goofy.

imagine having a boat for messing around with that doesnt have a stainless steel rubbing strake at the sheer line or any way to tie some rubber fenders  over the side so the you can scramble up the the bar for a few beers. 

Form and function is important...styling  is superfolous  

You do not give much in the way of anything. Soooo, There are only two ways to power a boat. An inboard diesel, or an OBM ( outboard motor ) you can afford to throw away, if it blows up. At the bottom of the range. A 14 foot aluminium boat with high sides and a 10 to 25 hp OBM. A 19 foot with a small cuddy cabin with an OBM to suit. A 34 / 36  Hinkley picnic boat like Martha Stewart bought. Or the same style of hull set up for cruising. Don't forget the rubber ducky. Everyone needs a rubber ducky. And a 9 1/2 foot kayak.

At the Vancouver boat show was a 675 hp OBM. Do not buy one of those.

Unkle Krusty

ThunderCat is the coolest. I almost bought on ages ago when they brought a racing fleet of them to St Thomas for a circuit. Those little boats ripped but couldn't stay in the water in the tradewinds conditions, at least not with Gonzo West Indians driving them. I think a guy just did Sydney to Hobart in one!

We met some people on our annual week long cruise on lake Michigan  who had recently transition from being lifelong sailors to this:

Sabre Yachts....used to make really nice sailboats too.

100511btpn-9765.jpg

1 hour ago, kent_island_sailor said:

I had a G-W and it was a fantastic boat until I was out the day after Christmas and the engine put a rod through the block :angry:

This thread is utterly worthless without a price range and desired use for the boat.

Just FYI, I have one sailboat, one RIB, and one Boston Whaler.

I have 3 sailboats 1 rib and will be getting my friend's SeaSwirl 18 fishing boat for a year before I press my other good friend to sell his GW Offshore 24 to me a the "friend's price"

9 minutes ago, olsurfer said:

I like that Nigel Irens Rangeboat. Here is another cool Bieker lightweight powerboat and it's for sale.

shearwater-home.jpg

Looks nice...i like efficient boats 

its possible they have a downside, but since Im not a motorboat guy I dont know it 

the powerfull ,high speed , ocean going east coast motorboats are highly refined

if you want to go fast offshore look to these designs 

folks like Merrit in florida

IMG_7891.JPG

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, slug zitski said:

Looks nice...i like efficient boats 

its possible they have a downside, but since Im not a motorboat guy I dont know it 

the powerfull ,high speed , ocean going east coast motorboats are highly refined

if you want to go fast offshore look to these designs 

folks like Merrit in florida

IMG_7891.JPG

Wow, somebody put a tower on the S.S.Minnow

6f7e9a2d-2864-4ecb-8d1c-364a51e5e5af_l.j

Yea, but the Minnow could not do 40 + knots...   

I would lean toward one of these...  ;)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRWeOwPNparXq5tMbZzzFP

6275796_20170620100529485_1_XLARGE.jpg&w

This would require a full time varnish person, but with the OP original parameters, I would think a cabin girl would be appropriate.  

9 minutes ago, shaggy said:

6275796_20170620100529485_1_XLARGE.jpg&w

This would require a full time varnish person, but with the OP original parameters, I would think a cabin girl would be appropriate.  

If a seagull flew over and pooped on that boat, the owner would have a breakdown .

much better to mess around with a boat,  not a  floating piano 

2 hours ago, Bob Perry said:

Sailor's powerboat that I am working on. All carbon. 15 kts with 150 hp.

36113735235_ada586224d_h.jpgKB PB 7-23-17 by robert perry, on Flickr

Nice take on the Lake Union Dreamboat.  I presume it's going to be tied to the dock off West Egg.

There was a 35' +/- LU Dreamboat I saw in Port Ludlow some years ago named the "Mola Mola".  I wish I had followed my instincts and bought it on the spot.

• Like 1

I've heard more than one sailor comment that Nordhavn's are only power boats which appeal.

WRT to GW, a friend has a 30' and I noticed parts of the plywood stringers in the hull not fully/properly covered in fiberglass. Not for me. 

Le Grand Blue (See Level's post) is kind of ridiculous in an irresistible way. When the tender to ur boat is a 70' Dubois designed aluminum sailing yacht, with it's own tender..... It was the subject of some adverse news in NY when it was moored off of the Statue of Liberty for several weeks.

For me, the best power boat is a motor sailor.... enclosed pilot house and a SA/D around 18, DWL around 280 and enough fuel for over 1.5K NM under power... 

• Like 1

Lefty:

It really wasn't meant to be my take on a Lake Union Dream Boat. But I have been around the Dreamboats for so many years I think, now you mention it, that some of those influences have definitely crept into this design. Makes sense.

4 minutes ago, Bull City said:

Bowler by Doug Hylan. 26 feet, 60 HP OBM in well, V-berth, small galley, head. Study Plan attached.

bowler1.thumb.png.f52d7dd38924a315320c99bbc4df4901.png

bowler_study_plans.pdf

Sweet. I like it. For longer voyages, bump it up to about 34 feet, and bung a diesel in it.

Unkle Krusty

1 hour ago, Mark Set (BIMBO Local 713) said:

all the sailors i know who bought a cruising power boat got old Grand Banks'

The problem with the GB is that they are so popular that you are looking at paying $80k for an early '80's fibreglass one (32' or 36'), and they only come with one engine, good for cruising at 7 or 8 knots.

We looked long and hard at them, but in the end went for something that was about 1/2 the price, 10 years newer, and goes twice as fast.  When you are used to traveling at 6 knots, 12 knots is a real luxury.

Just as with sailboats, there is no one powerboat that is right for everyone, even all ex-sailboat owners.  We went with a boat that is perfect for cruising in the PNW summer, when there is seldom enough wind to get you where you need to go on a tight cruising schedule.

^^

better if the bow fender was stowed .

Lot's of nice powerboats above.  One thing they share is the absolute rejection of the current trend to create all sorts of layered marshmallow shapes for the foredeck.  Nothing to hold onto, little to no nonskid, and a dearth of flat surfaces to walk on.  Completely ignores the situation where you need to go forward on a wet deck, and heaven forbid there is any kind of chop running when you do.  The attached example is not as egregious as some, and it has a hand rail, but those first few steps going forward from the cockpit would be sporty. 

Just to be clear, I would NOT want this boat.

main.jpg.b41776ca5a5a60e96c91c6004f124f67.jpg

18 minutes ago, Mid said:

^^

That or he's in the process of running over a lobster pot.

As long as no one is putting any cost parameters on the ideal 'sailors powerboat'. I nominate the venerable FPB 64.

https://www.setsail.com/fpb-64/

As for ideal 'accompanying powerboat', gotta agree with the above post...Protector rib...here's a good vid...

29 minutes ago, Expat Canuck said:

The problem with the GB is that they are so popular that you are looking at paying $80k for an early '80's fibreglass one (32' or 36'), and they only come with one engine, good for cruising at 7 or 8 knots.

I delivered a Grand Banks 36 from the VI to Ft Lauderdale and then a couple of years later delivered the same boat from New Jersey back down to the VI. That GB had twin Cummings and could really haul ass (for a GB that is). The speed available on that hull got us out of the beginnings of Hurricane Erin as we made safe harbor in Turtle Cove in T&C. If we had been dodging that bullet with a single engine GB 36, I don't think we would have made the safety of Turtle Cove.

1 hour ago, Rasputin22 said:

Looks like a William Hand design to me. I like it other that the stupid tall PH.

How's this?

Image result for dyer 29

Are you telling me that Mr. Hand had a boat?  I thought he only taught history.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Expat Canuck said:

We looked long and hard at them, but in the end went for something that was about 1/2 the price, 10 years newer, and goes twice as fast.  When you are used to traveling at 6 knots, 12 knots is a real luxury.

Just as with sailboats, there is no one powerboat that is right for everyone, even all ex-sailboat owners.  We went with a boat that is perfect for cruising in the PNW summer, when there is seldom enough wind to get you where you need to go on a tight cruising schedule.

Out of curiosity, what boat did you get? 

As for Pianos.... Mark Patty built a Lightning (19'CB dinghy) using the west system, and covered it in Mahogany veneer.  It was gorgeous, people would say "How can you race such a beauty?", and his response was "I can sit it in the living room and drink coffee off it, or I can go sailing". 

1 hour ago, Rasputin22 said:

Looks like a William Hand design to me. I like it other that the stupid tall PH.

How's this?

Image result for dyer 29

Ensign is ostentatiously large, hull is nice, but it's a very expensive, ego-stroking run-about, and therefore aptly named.

The pilot house of the Bowler is tall because the owner is quite tall.

The Bowler cruises at 10 - 12 knots. What about Trumpa?

1 hour ago, Mid said:

^^

I think they were busy taking our some lobster buoys....

26 minutes ago, Kirwan said:

Out of curiosity, what boat did you get? 

As for Pianos.... Mark Patty built a Lightning (19'CB dinghy) using the west system, and covered it in Mahogany veneer.  It was gorgeous, people would say "How can you race such a beauty?", and his response was "I can sit it in the living room and drink coffee off it, or I can go sailing". 

At the risk of much ridicule, I'll admit to now owning a Bayliner 3288 with twin 135 hp diesels.  Makes for a great regatta support boat.  We've had the entire crew of the ILC 40 inside for a crab boil at WIRW a couple of times now.

1 hour ago, Bob Perry said:

Lefty:

It really wasn't meant to be my take on a Lake Union Dream Boat. But I have been around the Dreamboats for so many years I think, now you mention it, that some of those influences have definitely crept into this design. Makes sense.

It's a very pretty boat.  We are both PNW folks who have watched the Dreamboats putter by for decades.  Nothing wrong with a little influence applied to a new project.  

A twin engine trawler of some sort, with major concessions made to seaworthiness.  The same length as your former sailboat, for example, a 36 footer should cruise @ 6kn.  That way it feels the same underway.

Sailing since my teens and retired from the sailing business 2 years ago when I hit 68. My wife and I just bought this Jenneau NC11 and are retiring from racing our J109 shortly.  We call it “Dark Side”. Max 32knots, cruise @ 23, love it!

D07C1B98-C531-4552-84C2-EFF4B7FFB199.jpeg

D3A9BFF7-7EF0-49CA-971D-CAE94A2BFD74.MOV

• Downvote 1

Sorry for you, Bob.

I can understand a sailor moving to power as he/she ages and wants to stay  on the water, but I think there should be a continuing desire to minimize carbon emissions and the use of fossil fuels. It doesn't look like your boat is doing that, but I could very well be mistaken.

I just hit 69 and I'm still committed to sail - with a Torqeedo!

- Another Bob

• Like 1

Bull:

I love my new powerboat and as usual I don't give a fuck what anyone else, except the client, thinks. Just stand back and watch it happen. The whole focus of this design is max performance with minimum power while making the client happy.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, Bull City said:

Sorry for you, Bob.

I can understand a sailor moving to power as he/she ages and wants to stay  on the water, but I think there should be a continuing desire to minimize carbon emissions and the use of fossil fuels. It doesn't look like your boat is doing that, but I could very well be mistaken.

I just hit 69 and I'm still committed to sail - with a Torqeedo!

- Another Bob

Also have a Torqeedo. Also share your feelings about carbon and this was a major concern when we were shopping, the Jenneau, in it’s class is crazy efficient compared to everything else we looked at. 12 gph at cruise speed compared to 25 and more for many others. No need to be sorry, i’m fine. 

3 minutes ago, Bob Perry said:

Bull:

I love my new powerboat and as usual I don't give a fuck what anyone else, except the client, thinks. Just stand back and watch it happen. The whole focus of this design is max performance with minimum power while making the client happy.

Hi Bob, I think he was ragging on me not you. It’s been good to see the carbon cutter project progress, good work. 

Most of the trawler type fizz boats I encounter are motoring around 6.5 to 7 knots. Which means they are going a 1/2 to 1 knot faster than us in the Viking 33. They are also using a hell of a lot more fuel. We average about 15 mpg. Imperial gallon. It varies with wind and currents, and throttle opening. Quite a few of the new 40 foot and bigger sail boats are also motoring at 7 plus knots. And some like Neptunes Car went by me at around 8.5. It makes sense to me, to make a fizz boat a bit longer and skinnier than some of the trawlers. That way they can run around 8 to 12 knots quite efficiently. Many boats from yesteryear could do that. The boat Bob is designing makes sound sense to me, except the extra moorage cost.

Unkle Krusty

6 hours ago, olsurfer said:

I like that Nigel Irens Rangeboat. Here is another cool Bieker lightweight powerboat and it's for sale.

shearwater-home.jpg

I got to use this boat for a cruise with my wife and friends Steve & Kathy Callahan. I'm not the world's most experienced powerboat guy, but it seemed to do everything amazingly well. It had a big-boat feel, went plenty fast with 60 HP, and handled a long stretch of punching into really nasty chop with good speed and without stress.

I think that people who commission and own fuel efficient powerboats are doing much more for the environment than just saving fuel. They are showing that it doesn't take horsepower to be cool. The opposite maybe...

I also really like the motor yacht that Bob Perry has been working on. Imagine pulling into a marina full of Bayliners and Sun Seekers with something like that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobC said:

Hi Bob, I think he was ragging on me not you. It’s been good to see the carbon cutter project progress, good work. 

We got too many Bobs going here, including me, who really is another Bob. I'm not ragging on anyone. I just think as sailors at heart,  we should be sensitive to the carbon footprint we leave. As I admitted, I could be mistaken about Bob C's boat.  I'd like to know more.

Yeah, I wasn't really ragging BobC but 30+ kts is a bit greedy. I like the boat, especially the 'moonroof'. I'd go for a spin about the creek in it. What sort of power does it take to haul that NC 11 around? 

Bob P's skinny powerboat is an interesting approach. Look forward to seeing more on it.

7 hours ago, fufkin said:

As long as no one is putting any cost parameters on the ideal 'sailors powerboat'. I nominate the venerable FPB 64.

https://www.setsail.com/fpb-64/

Yep that’s the one that sets my mind going when I’m thinking about life after kids. Reality is that my wife isn’t interested so not gonna happen. Oh, and it’s like $2m or something like that. 

13 hours ago, MisterMoon said:

I'd honestly rather have a Parker dual console than the Melges. Both will be gas hogs though. 

For me the perfect sailor's powerboat would be one of John Atkin's Ninigrets. You'd have build it or have someone do it for you though. 

ffddcffaa42b5f2e9431a0e1275aca8f.jpg

Yep, nice boat.

I built a "Hope" from the same designer. Stretched it to 30ft and put a 90hp ETEC in a well. Comfortably cruised at 18 knots.

I'm back yachting at the moment, but would love to do a 40ft bridgedecker in the same style.

fa0uw7.jpg

ofpy5y.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Maroon said:

What are your choices for a sailors powerboat? Go..........................

If you mean choices actually made with money, I have two aluminum skiffs, a rotomolded skiff, a pontoon boat, and a 22' power cat.

If you mean favorites I have actually owned, a 15 Whaler (either of the two I've owned) and a little toy called Kinetic Energy. (15 Whaler is also the only powerboat I have ever deliberately sailed, not counting MacGregors.)

If you mean what's next in the fleet, a lightweight tunnel hull skiff that will go 30 knots across a few inches of water. Then I'll probably re-create Kinetic Energy.

And if you mean choices I might make with someone else's money, you're going to need to narrow down the question. Powerboat for what purpose?

I've been thinking over this for taking racing photos on my little reservoir. I think what I want is a Tornado cat platform or similar with a small weather shelter and silent electric drive capable of running it up to about 15 knots.

28 minutes ago, JimC said:

I've been thinking over this for taking racing photos on my little reservoir. I think what I want is a Tornado cat platform or similar with a small weather shelter and silent electric drive capable of running it up to about 15 knots.

The Cowmaran will go about that fast with twin 20 hp Suzuki's. But it was never designed to go that fast and better speed could be achieved.

cowmaran-flyby-lg.jpg

1 minute ago, tenders said:

This discussion is so much nobler than if it would be if it were powerboaters talking about sailboats.

Good naval architecture is alway admired..power or sail

Shouldn't someone design a well-controlled foiling consumer powerboat with good fuel efficiency?

2 hours ago, slug zitski said:

Good naval architecture is alway admired..power or sail

Yes, of course. By sailboaters

21 hours ago, suider said:

Dyer 29

The only caveat is it has to be an older one before they (like so many others) bowed to the 'consumer need' for full standing headroom for seven footers. The newer ones just look too top heavy and out of scale. But reliable as hell and a nice seaworthy hull.

^^^^^^  Upgraded to diesel, of course!!

56 minutes ago, Grey Dawn said:

Shouldn't someone design a well-controlled foiling consumer powerboat with good fuel efficiency?

Plenty around....

IMG_7895.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JimC said:

Sounds like Russell Brown's "Waterbug".  15 HP, "20 mpg at 11 knots, while loaded AND pulling a dinghy":

JansMarinePhotographyR2AK.jpeg