Maroon

Sailors Powerboat

17 hours ago, fastyacht said:

Operation of the vessel and the bottom contour was the problem, along with perhaps some other issues with dock arrangement and location.

Nah.

Happens all the time around here with similar boats.

Self centred Fuckwits driving them with no respect for other water users.

YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE  FOR YOUR WAKE AND THE DAMAGE IT CAUSES.

No ifs and buts.

• Like 3

This sailor bought a powerboat yesterday: a 24’ deck boat. Not really a sailors powerboat, but it’s nice and will be comfortable during the summer when it’s too hot, windless, and wake strewn on our lake to sail.  It has the largest engine in anything I have ever owned, a 5.7 liter Volvo duoprop. 

I never understood how the big sport fishers can have those enclosed transoms and ship so much water over the stern.  Seems like the engines would flood, or at least the sliding doors would leak something horrible since it would take 30 min to pump all that water out...

water-over-transom-backing-down-on-sailf

How to Back Down Safely | Sport Fishing Magazine

no friday funnies? - how about your fav fishing pic...? | Fishing ...

Backing down.. Is taking it too far??? - Page 2 - The Hull Truth ...

Water tight doors, usually 2, one leading into the rod and gear storage, second door to engine room itself.

Always kept dogged down underway.

And watertight deck hatches in the fish cockpit.

Sliding entry is above fishing cockpit level.

IMG_20170428_143616127~2.jpg

At least a half dozen folks I used to race with or against are now sporting 19’-23’ center console boats. 

On 6/29/2020 at 3:59 PM, jerseyguy said:

At least a half dozen folks I used to race with or against are now sporting 19’-23’ center console boats. 

Just like sailing!

• Almost zero protection from the elements with all the opportunity to get soaking wet.
  • Just like an Etchells, no way to fuck and not have everyone watching.
  • Girlfriend's gotta wee-wee. Uh oh! At best there might be a head in the console where her hair can get tangled in the steering cables.
  • Like 3

On 7/1/2020 at 4:53 PM, Somebody Else said:

Just like sailing!

• Almost zero protection from the elements with all the opportunity to get soaking wet.
  • Just like an Etchells, no way to fuck and not have everyone watching.
  • Girlfriend's gotta wee-wee. Uh oh! At best there might be a head in the console where her hair can get tangled in the steering cables.

One of my absolute design requirements on center consoles is at least one padded seating area with 6"6" of length....

61686(4).png?17232

The hull ought to be familiar, for some at least.

• Like 2

Found this gem for exploring the Tampa waters until the J/100 is ready to go.  Designed with Sailors in mind and built by Dickerson Yachts in MD.  Cruise at 12 kts with Perkins 120hp. Shallow draft enough to back in close to sandbars. 

DFA0855E-84B7-4419-BF1D-F05FFC5F3762.jpeg

9B44BC04-A283-4A2C-8514-3733D90C58B8.jpeg

C29F6C50-4452-4AA0-80DF-F98FCED2B6C3.jpeg

416070DE-0EC8-436F-B393-CBDF67E36B36.jpeg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Ismotorsport said:

Found this gem for exploring the Tampa waters until the J/100 is ready to go.  Designed with Sailors in mind and built by Dickerson Yachts in MD.  Cruise at 12 kts with Perkins 120hp. Shallow draft enough to back in close to sandbars. 

That is really lovely in every way! Interior shots? Is it a one-off or production?

Interesting to see that MOST folks think the transition from sailing to power should be a slow displacement Trawler type boat. OK fine. Me? I went for an Axopar 28. Cruise at 28/30 kts. Still have my sailboat, it’s fast too. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

I could turn that into an outstanding Race Committee boat!

Cottage Park Yacht Club uses a boat like that for that exact purpose.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, D Wayne G said:

Cruise at 28/30 kts.

"Tolman Alaskan Skiff" ("Jumbo") I have  mentioned in other threads (video added below, different boat):

Tolman_AK2.jpg

Plywood/epoxy/fiberglass construction, 25.5' (he stretched a 24' design slightly), light weight, BEAUTIFUL!

The guy and his wife live north of Seattle and have taken the boat from there all the way to Sitka, Alaska, on the water, ~800+ miles each way as the crow flies.  They are towing it to Florida for the second time where they take it to the Bahamas.  When on the trailer, they use it like an RV.  Very impressive.

https://www.tolmanskiffs.com/
https://smallboatsmonthly.com/article/jumbo/?fbclid=IwAR1MYX9a4r1Njn1wzm2tmf5mQIt-1ejNz3UWAq6-9q48I2fnjT_26GGRdOM
https://www.woodenboat.com/boat-plans-kits/tolman-skiff-jumbo
https://www.proboat.com/2014/09/renn-tolman-and-his-high-endurance-skiff/

And some mileage estimates for a different 24 foot Tolman Jumbo from here (Bend, Oregon)
https://www.ifish.net/board/showpost.php?s=862c362a7a1278ad79b716c5baa4c99d&p=4449422

• 5.00 MPG @ 16.5 knots
  • 4.83 MPG @ 21 knots
  • 3.11 MPG @ 30 knots
  • 2.66 MPG @ 33.5 knots

Good numbers!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, ProaSailor said:

• 5.00 MPG @ 16.5 knots
  • 4.83 MPG @ 21 knots
  • 3.11 MPG @ 30 knots
  • 2.66 MPG @ 33.5 knots

Good numbers!

They are great numbers for that sort of boat.   Its all about the weight...

10 minutes ago, nige said:

They are great numbers for that sort of boat.   Its all about the weight...

Agreed. I have seen that boat here in Nanaimo. Cool boat, interesting folks. 

13 hours ago, Alaris said:

That is really lovely in every way! Interior shots? Is it a one-off or production?

+1 on this question, that looks lovely

Is anyone making lightweight boats like this in production form? If I were to ever go over to the dark side, it sure as hell wouldn't be in a trawler. I'd want high efficiency at 15-20kts.

It depends what you call light. My Axopar28AC is listed at 5,000 lbs. with 350 Merc Verado, dry. It burns 45 ltrs/hour at 4200 rpm.

That is a cruise speed of 25/28 kts  depending on conditions. That’s not quite as good as that Alaskan Skiff but still pretty good. I’m guessing that if you wanted a much lighter boat you would have to go custom build.

• Like 1

I'm thinking of light as roughly the same weights/lengths as listed for the Tolmans but what I really care about is efficiency. Anything better than 5mpg would be comparable to my sailboat (with the sails down). 

LOXO-32 is saying .5 liters per nautical mile at 12 knots.
Light, efficient and gentle on the throttle makes for about 7.5 nm/gallon. 
And it looks like a sailboat without a rig!

5B8BEBCE-8F7D-44B6-A892-0E2C184FA592.jpeg

• Like 7

I saw this in Belfast, Maine.

18’ squadron Yachts Bay Fisherman. 

I took an  Hereshoff America Cat (same molds), cut the cabin top off, removed the centerboard trunk and made a great cocktail cruiser years ago. 

Has the nice boom for hauling lobster pots

E5619413-21A7-4724-91E3-1DF7E6026923.jpeg

• Like 2

We have a house on a small lake that sucks for sailing. We like to take our runabout for a sunset cruise when we are there. In my younger days I used to ski a lot, but not so much since I turned 60. Lake rules restrict LOA to 20'

I would love a boat that is electric powered that could comfortably seat 8-10 and make 8-10 kts. A pontoon would even be OK. It's a small lake and about a 6 mile round trip so range is not an issue. wondering if the Torquedo that makes the equivalent of 20 hp would push a 20' pontoon boat better than 5-6 kts. 

Anyone have any experience? I've looked at some cool little lake boats but they all seem to top out at about 6kts. (Duffy)

But as long as we are dreaming....

3 hours ago, On The Hard said:

We have a house on a small lake that sucks for sailing. We like to take our runabout for a sunset cruise when we are there. In my younger days I used to ski a lot, but not so much since I turned 60. Lake rules restrict LOA to 20'

I would love a boat that is electric powered that could comfortably seat 8-10 and make 8-10 kts. A pontoon would even be OK. It's a small lake and about a 6 mile round trip so range is not an issue. wondering if the Torquedo that makes the equivalent of 20 hp would push a 20' pontoon boat better than 5-6 kts. 

Anyone have any experience? I've looked at some cool little lake boats but they all seem to top out at about 6kts. (Duffy)

But as long as we are dreaming....

20 HP is plenty to go 6 knots on a pontoon.

You can do cool things too. Like Tom's Cowamaran (Tom the Sun Cat guy who is now addicted to PA). See his threads somewhere on SA about it. Or you can do a Stillwater. Or a Plattform 19 from plans.

http://www.stillwaterdesign.com/pages/launches.html

https://www.facebook.com/wakelessdesign/

Or you could put a minnkota on a UFO.

Almost a cartoon, but not!  Little Red Rooster.

From 4knots S/V to 4knots Tug.

952GA (2).jpg

On 8/10/2020 at 5:06 PM, Sail4beer said:

I saw this in Belfast, Maine.

18’ squadron Yachts Bay Fisherman. 

I took an  Hereshoff America Cat (same molds), cut the cabin top off, removed the centerboard trunk and made a great cocktail cruiser years ago. 

Has the nice boom for hauling lobster pots

E5619413-21A7-4724-91E3-1DF7E6026923.jpeg

So cool! A red one of those used to live in Barnstable Harbor on the north side of Cape Cod for the longest time. I never knew what it was but I loved staring at it.

On 8/2/2020 at 5:28 PM, Ismotorsport said:

A super cool boat with a beautiful sheerline! Almost looks like a Downeast style boat. Curious why the rudder isn't on a skeg like downeast boats though, I'd think that'd be desirable for cruising the sandbars. Has that been a concern for you at all?

30 minutes ago, Commercial Boater said:

So cool! A red one of those used to live in Barnstable Harbor on the north side of Cape Cod for the longest time. I never knew what it was but I loved staring at it

I actually saw a red one driving south from the Boston area on the way up but couldn’t get a pic of it since I was driving. Great hull form for a displacement powerboat. Mine is a zombie now  after Sandy waiting with dreams of an onboard electric future. The technology has finally evolved to the point that I can consider it. Not going to wreck the lines with an outboard Torqueedo, they are as ugly as you can get for a marine design. 

Might be driving up there for a few days of relaxation in a few weeks after the heat blows out before I head up to Maine for some soul time

6 minutes ago, Brain-O said:

Does anyone have any information on this 30' Tender?

Derecktor 30 pic[510].pdf

Google can help: https://www.google.com/search?q=Derecktor+High+Speed+Tender

https://derecktor.com/derecktor-built-vessels/

https://www.commonwealthrv.com/Pre-Owned-Inventory-2002-Derecktor-Jet-High-Speed-Tender-30-Ashland-Virginia-7681782

• Retail Price: $29,900.00
  • Sale Price: $19,900.00
  • Year: 2002
  • Engine: Yammar 6LP Diesel
  • Length: 30' 0"
  • Beam: 9
  • Propulsion: Jet Drive
  • Hull Material: Fiberglass Reinforced

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2002/derecktor-high-speed-tender-30-3578633/

We probably will need a “Sailors’ wife’s powerboat”. Mine is thinking of something to run up and down the ICW with a group of sisters/kids/gkids. 

We have a boat ramp to ICW at our development, and a 45x12’ slip up at LightKeepers in Little River, SC for Lioness that could hold a pontoon used to shuttle up there. 

a bit of research suggests the 1998 4 stroke Honda 15 HP would move it 6kts sedately, and a larger motor more quickly. 

boat needs to be towable at <3500 lbs GVWR, and ideally easy enough to operate that Wife/kids/gkids can manage launch/operations and recovery 

seems to be quite a few 20-30’ pontoons on Craigslist and wide price range for new  

brands to favor/avoid ?