southerncross

VOR Leg 6 Hong Kong to Auckland

Recommended Posts

What’s the deal?

Leg 6 is another long one at 6,100 miles. Starting on the 7th February, it will take the fleet across the South China Sea to the northern tip of the Philippines. After that, it’s out into the Pacific and a long drag race to the south-east, dodging the many island chains of Polynesia until they reach Auckland. 

It’s another leg that will be dominated strategically by the north to south transit of Climate Zones (the earth’s oceanic climate features distinct bands, lying horizontally and looping the globe, running out from the Equator to the Poles in a mirror image). And although Hong Kong is a new stopover, it’s not far from Sanya, which is where the equivalent leg started last time. So this one has some history. 

What lies in wait for unwary navigators on this one?

North-East Monsoon: Leg 5 will start as Leg 4 finished in the North-East Monsoon (a wind created by the clockwise flow around a huge seasonal hight pressure over central Asia). The difference is that instead of a sailing downwind, they will be forced to go upwind, against the wind. This is what solo circumnavigator, Sam Davies said form onboard Team SCA while battling upwind in the North-East Monsoon in 2015.

“We have been out here for 24 hours now and finally we get what we came for -life at the extreme. Extreme angles of heel, extremely WET, extreme levels of difficulty in doing ANYTHING on board.” The opening section of this leg has the potential to be brutal. We’re talking boat-breaking stuff.

More Island Chains: Once they clear the northern tip of the Philippines, the boats will hold the north-easterly winds (now more normally called the north-east Trade Winds, moderate to strong winds that blow consistently towards the equator from the north-east in the northern hemisphere). The course is now south-east, so there, should be a few days of fast sailing. They will blast to the east of Papua New Guinea and the Solomon Islands, before the long stretch through the South Pacific, past Vanuatu and Fiji before landing in the City of Sails. All of these land masses can have an impact on tactics and strategy, depending on how close they end up to them. 

The Doldrums: Yup, the Doldrums are back (a region of low pressure that envelopes the earth’s oceans roughly at the equator, famous for thunderstorms, light winds, rain and sudden unexpected gusts), and in this part of the Pacific they occur in a double belt, separated by a band of easterly trade winds. 

In fact, the more precise sequence of global climate zones is actually north-east trade winds, Doldrums, easterly trade winds, Doldrums and then south-east trade winds (this is proper weather nerd bar talk). But in the Atlantic (and most of the rest of the planet), the easterly trade wind zone between the two Doldrums zones is very small and poorly defined. And so the term has come to mean the whole area of light wind and squalls between the north-east and south-east trade winds. 

But in the Pacific, and particularly en route to Auckland, the easterly trade winds can be well formed, and that means that the fleet may well have to transit a second band of Doldrums. This section could easily decide the leg.

Trade Wind Drag Race: Once they clear the Doldrums, life should get easier, at least for the strategy department. If the south-east Trade Winds are well established (Trade Winds blow consistently towards the equator from the south-east in the southern hemisphere) they will be sailing towards the finish in sunshine and great waves. 

The South Pacific High (a Subtropical High Pressure Zone, a stable, semi-static area of High Pressure lying between 30 and 38 degrees)  usually lies a good long way to the east, closer to South America, and so they will definitely remain on its western side, and in wind from the easterly quadrant. And with Auckland just short of 37 degrees south with a sub-tropical climate, there’s a good chance the fleet will get close to the finish in great, steady conditions.

So what’s the casualty list like on this leg? 

Pick your sport, pick your poison: in 2008-09 four of seven boats that took on the North-East Monson had to stop for significant repairs, two of them didn’t complete the leg, and one finished after the re-start of the next leg! 

And that same year the Telefónica Blue and PUMA teams were forced to ‘thread the needle’ – going through Fiji rather than round it, leading to a famous email from Ian Walker to PUMA, “Nice one, but are you sure you can get under the new road bridge?” There was no road bridge.

And of course, the final run in to Auckland, down the east coast of New Zealand has seen many classic match races over the years, not least of which was the ‘blue on blue’ / Kiwi v Kiwi battle for home town honors in 1989-90. Peter Blake’s Steinlager edged out Grant Dalton’s Fisher & Paykel after the latter got flattened by a massive 40knot squall... it’s never over till it’s over.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It will be tough going 'til they crack sheets, for sure. Looking forward to the Northland Coast, NZL parade (hopefully some of it will be during daylight!) and I can get out off Sail Rock for a gander.

Screen Shot 2018-01-12 at 9.39.50 AM.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rushman said:

What about leg 5 to China?

a 10nm sprint is not really that interesting in the context of the VOR 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quote from Libby in the Scallywag vid Rennmaus posted in the other thread: "I've been asked to stick around, so I'll be sticking around.." Will she be on the boat or shore team?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Forestdawg said:

Quote from Libby in the Scallywag vid Rennmaus posted in the other thread: "I've been asked to stick around, so I'll be sticking around.." Will she be on the boat or shore team?

Shore.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Rushman said:

What about leg 5 to China?


Leg 5

The boats will leave Hong Kong on 1 February and make a non-scoring transition to Guangzhou for a full stopover. That programme will include a scoring In-Port-Race and other on and off-water activities in the Guangzhou Race Village.

To conclude the leg, the boats will head back to Hong Kong to prepare for the start of Leg 6.

 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, southerncross said:


Leg 5

The boats will leave Hong Kong on 1 February and make a non-scoring transition to Guangzhou for a full stopover. That programme will include a scoring In-Port-Race and other on and off-water activities in the Guangzhou Race Village.

To conclude the leg, the boats will head back to Hong Kong to prepare for the start of Leg 6.

 
 

About as exciting at the old VO70's aboard a freighter!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've found the in-port races exciting to watch, even though they barely count for anything in the context of the race, so I'm holding out some hope for Leg 5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, southerncross said:


Leg 5

The boats will leave Hong Kong on 1 February and make a non-scoring transition to Guangzhou for a full stopover. That programme will include a scoring In-Port-Race and other on and off-water activities in the Guangzhou Race Village.

To conclude the leg, the boats will head back to Hong Kong to prepare for the start of Leg 6.

 
 

Actually it is scoring, they all get 1.

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/route/leg-5.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WLIS Jibing said:

I've found the in-port races exciting to watch, even though they barely count for anything in the context of the race, so I'm holding out some hope for Leg 5.

Last time around I was glued to my computer watching the in-port race in Auckland in light winds. It really started my fascination with code zeros..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wasn't there a huge split last time, with some boats touring Japan, some down the middle and nobody taking the inshore route which would have been fastest?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hoppy said:

Last time around I was glued to my computer watching the in-port race in Auckland in light winds. It really started my fascination with code zeros..

I just started following this year, but the in-port races also grew my interest in the race, especially the very tight and fast Cape Town race.  There is something so cool about watching video of the boats doing their things for more than the 5 or 10 minutes we get to see when they are racing in the ocean.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, WLIS Jibing said:

I just started following this year, but the in-port races also grew my interest in the race, especially the very tight and fast Cape Town race.  There is something so cool about watching video of the boats doing their things for more than the 5 or 10 minutes we get to see when they are racing in the ocean.  

I was disappointed there was no race in Melbourne but at least I got out in the water for the start of leg 4. Great to watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hoppy said:

I was disappointed there was no race in Melbourne but at least I got out in the water for the start of leg 4. Great to watch.

That must have been incredible!  I visited the race village while I was in Melbourne, and it was great just to see the boats up close and in-person!  Unfortunately, I wasn't in Melbourne for the start of the leg.  I definitely want to watch the in-port race in Newport, though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Shore.

Is that confirmed?  

Are they signing yet another nav, or going for the Witty and Wharro show?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mad said:

Is that confirmed?  

Are they signing yet another nav, or going for the Witty and Wharro show?

Maybe Antonio Fontes is healed up enough to return.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, hoppy said:

Maybe Antonio Fontes is healed up enough to return.

Good point, I’d assumed that Libby was probably staying onboard. 

Would that me them having to shuffle the crew as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, mad said:

Good point, I’d assumed that Libby was probably staying onboard. 

Would that me them having to shuffle the crew as well?

Witty confirmed Antonio would be back on the next Leg but that he liked the technical side of Libby (when they don’t toss the GRIBS out the window) and would keep her on as part of the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Woods Rider said:

Wonder if Vestas will be back in it by then?

I have a feeling they will have the boat ready. Not sure if other extenuating circumstances will hold them up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^

 

possibly too soon ....................<_<

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Humor = Tragedy + Time

There still hasn't been enough time to tell Challenger jokes at NASA

What color were Christy's eyes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you so much. It's so much more quiet over here. What happened in leg four was tragic. What happened in the leg four thread was a fucking disaster.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Varan said:

Thank you so much. It's so much more quiet over here. What happened in leg four was tragic. What happened in the leg four thread was a fucking disaster.

Think it's calmed down now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Leg 4 was the most readable yet. Too bad it got blown up at the end. Getting acclimated to every leg having its troll bait issue. Much to be said for starting  alt-thread/ honeypots in time. Worked for the other legs. 

So for fun, let's preempt some of the specuguessing of the first-world problems that will blow up this leg. If needed, we can work to divert them in a timely fashion. Place your bets:

External issues? VOR management, probably. Might even have a gender twist, featuring Karin Backlund. Would be wild if Mark Turner  returns, with a letter from the courts reinstating him as skipper of the VOR. Or maybe an IOC investigation into host city bid corruption somehow. If OBRs  to be muzzled even more, that would be an issue only cared for by the regulars, and would be properly handled in-thread. 

There are always the tracker issues too. Sailing Illustrated belatedly added a half-assed credit to forss (not by name), and the SA front page of SA didn't. Sheesh. Shades of the vendee daily show all over again. 

Natural disasters? A volcano erupting near a boat, like the one witnessed when PUMA -took the flyer north past Japan in 2012--think that was what Kenny D recalls. Last two editions leaving China,  sickness was an issue for crews. Doubt if it is enough to warrant an alt-thread, but who knows. Most likely issue, maybe this time, will be environmental, like carbon knives and sushi. Or maybe a boat gets caught up in a plastic gyre. That would bring out the righteous social justice warriors.

International issues? Will probably be worked out by the start, or will have been covered in their own leg 5 thread. Hate to think what kind of thread would be generated if, say, Pascal and Witty ended up in a PRC jail. MAPF at least waited until the end of the last edition for that

Teams sure have a tough test getting around the physical and social challenges between them and the finish.

More seriously, this leg I'll be watching especially for:

-TBRUN to finally figure out their speed deficits. Bouwe and Cape are finally on it, (cf last few from-the-boats and dock interviews, thanks SC, Renny and the regulars). So if a swan song (SC), then they want to go out proudly. Not much choice since the other teams seem to be further up on the learning curve.

-SHKS? It's TTOP's turn to cash in on the chances. SHKS--still to prove they can compete in other than trade winds or a gybefest in granny-gybe conditions. Still sceptical of anything Witty says. Redemption still interesting. 

Too soon to say what will happen to VS11, but still think their numbers approach and shore support havn't had the chance to shine yet. Still watching to see if it can work (ugh  Probably into Newport and if so, would have to read around entitled American shills). 

-AKZO--hmm; wild card. Simon and Nicho seem to have worked out a good working relationship, and conditions this leg should temperate Nicho's boat-breaking jinx , barring another storm that tempts the fleet to hole up in "Sanya" for the leg start. They proved themselves well-along the "steep learning curve" (thanks Rennie for those vids).

MAPF will be steady and have taken their lumps and seem to be unfazed by the recent drama and doldrums. Vila should be better prepared without S-H distractions (I hope), but he is an old man, so maybe enduring another doldrum leg will be tough. And MAPF still hasn't matched or improved on DF'RT's 'turbo' slot. Ñeti better be running simulations with Neal MacDonald polars in the VORG in preparation for leg 7 if he is to be back then.

DFRT? Pascal has had a chance to think and plot and recover, and I expect he'll be eager to prove himself to those harsh french fans. (aside: pardon my Commonwealth sense of fair play and sport--never could get into the ghetto-ball trash talking mode). Expect they'll win this leg, but would like to see if they could handle a Doldrum or jury or team setback as impressively as MAPF did in leg 3, and the last two editions. DFRT/Groupama have proven they can handle equipment failure equally as well as Telefonica/MAPF. so don't expect much difference there.

Yep. Looking forward to this leg, Hardly any social or equipment issues likely to distract from the best chance to see the best teams of sailors proving they best know how to get the same boat around the world quickly through almost all conditions nature and geography presents.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The big question is when it's a close run thing down the east coast, which team is going to have ZB tuned in?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, hoppy said:

a 10nm sprint is not really that interesting in the context of the VOR 

fantastic...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Forestdawg said:

Quote from Libby in the Scallywag vid Rennmaus posted in the other thread: "I've been asked to stick around, so I'll be sticking around.." Will she be on the boat or shore team?

But but  they threw all the technology out and just went from cloud to cloud.  WTF will she do?  Be part of the social experiement?

Edit: Call me sensitive and precious, but if I had been the Nav and Witty said that I would have told him to go fuck himself.  The comment was disrespectful and boastful.  Witty is an egotistical cunt and has given Libby no credit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking forward to racing, not the equivalent of my neighbors asking why the police helicopter is hovering overhead on Facebook. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, random said:

But but  they threw all the technology out and just went from cloud to cloud.  WTF will she do?  Be part of the social experiement?

 

She's a meteorologist. 

I'll let you research what that means.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last round, Brunel and SCA took a split to the North (aka Magnus Olsen Ericsson III) and came out ahead at the Doldrums by 100 miles.  

Not sure the weather will make this an option this time.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The third of the Volvo Ocean Race's seven Ocean Summits in the 2017-18 takes place in Hong Kong on Monday 22 January.

Paul Rose, a world-renowned broadcaster and explorer, will once again host the event, after taking the microphone for the first Summit in Alicante in October.

Since this was recently posted on the VOR site, can we assume it's business as usual? Sure there is a major distraction in progress, but it is good to see them move on, at least the best they can, with the preplanned events.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/01/2018 at 12:01 AM, southerncross said:

Witty confirmed Antonio would be back on the next Leg but that he liked the technical side of Libby (when they don’t toss the GRIBS out the window) and would keep her on as part of the team.

In which case they either need to swap one of the blokes for a second woman or take one of them off?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, NORBowGirl said:

She's a meteorologist. 

I'll let you research what that means.

I know what ignoring the routing systems means for a navigator.  It means "you fucked up" fuck you, we  (me and my old mate here) will drive this from the helm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, random said:

I know what ignoring the routing systems means for a navigator.  I means fuck you, we will drive this from the helm.

It means that they will just look at the weather they can actually see, instead of looking at the computer. And with a trained meteorologist this is of course something they can do with more confidence than if they didn't have those skills on board.

For all we know this was Libby's own suggestion. I resent how you want to make up conflicts, and how you just assume that nobody listened to her. You're basically calling her a pushover. Is that really how you see her?

We can only observe from the outside and interpret how the team is doing. And here's the fact: She's sticking with the team, she wouldn't do that if they didn't respect her input.

 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NORBowGirl said:

It means that they will just look at the weather they can actually see, instead of looking at the computer. And with a trained meteorologist this is of course something they can do with more confidence than if they didn't have those skills on board.

You cannot be serious that a meteorologist can work successfully operating in the visual range.  It's dark for about half the time!  This story is not even strong enough to be a joke.  It's testosterone driven 'we know this shit, we don't need no steeenkin navigator'.

She was relegated to crew, she was sacked from her position of plotting a strategic course based on all the available information.  The 'Men' took over.  It would have been almost impossible for Libby to break the 'me and my mate'  pairing

Witty know understands the benefit of the extra person so she stays.

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

It means that they will just look at the weather they can actually see, instead of looking at the computer. And with a trained meteorologist this is of course something they can do with more confidence than if they didn't have those skills on board.

For all we know this was Libby's own suggestion. I resent how you want to make up conflicts, and how you just assume that nobody listened to her. You're basically calling her a pushover. Is that really how you see her?

We can only observe from the outside and interpret how the team is doing. And here's the fact: She's sticking with the team, she wouldn't do that if they didn't respect her input.

 

Don't you realise that you women are timid and afraid to stand up to men because society tells you that she is not smart enough. Luckily for you, there are some gentlemen who stand up for you and protect you, even when you don't realise you need protection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, hoppy said:

Don't you realise that you women are timid and afraid to stand up to men because society tells you that she is not smart enough. Luckily for you, there are some gentlemen who stand up for you and protect you, even when you don't realise you need protection.

Like....RanDUMB? :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The more I read about what Witty said about throwing the technology out the window the more ego driven it looks.

He sacked Libby for the fuckup, said he would make the calls from what they could see ... at least while the sun was up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

Like....RanDUMB? :D

 

 

white-knight-with-princess-and-baby-drag

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Until #35 this has been a fine thread.

Please, please, please take your bashing-each-other to another thread and leave us alone!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/1/2018 at 12:26 AM, mad said:

Quite possibly not Vestas. 

Vestas will go directly to NZ. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ET1 said:

Until #35 this has been a fine thread.

Please, please, please take your bashing-each-other to another thread and leave us alone!

Ignoring Randumb is the simplest solution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ITA602 said:

Vestas will go directly to NZ. 

With the retirement and missing the points from the next 2 legs, that's them finished for this race.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ET1 said:

 

Please, please, please take your bashing-each-other to another thread and leave us alone!

Who is 'us'?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, southerncross said:

Hmmmm. I'm sure he is.

But he'll have to figure out why BRUNEL is off the pace, first. By Bouwe's own admission, almost halfway through the race, they're still trying to figure that one out.

I hope they do... and quick.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, southerncross said:

Good find: thanks. 

Laughed at the click bait of “Peter Burling is hoping he can lead Team Brunel to victory”. Gave up on the text at that.

The interview was worth watching to hear Burling confirm “we’ve struggled a bit for speed so that’s going to be our main focus” (1:27).

Doesn’t sound like he had much time to work on that. Anyone know who onshore would be working on TBRU’s speed struggle?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2018 at 6:33 PM, Varan said:

Thank you so much. It's so much more quiet over here. What happened in leg four was tragic. What happened in the leg four thread was a fucking disaster.

And it's still going... I'm not going back there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, stief said:

Doesn’t sound like he had much time to work on that. Anyone know who onshore would be working on TBRU’s speed struggle?

They have access to all the available information the other teams do.  Don't know?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Herman said:

Indeed, Mad and me don’t have a post #35, use the ignore option to hide posters you don’t like.

And more to the point, don’t quote him and inflict others with his trolling drivel. 

Thankyou. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, southerncross said:

It's a shame for Brunel that they hired a skipper who was not so determined to win legs 1 to 5....

 

;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, random said:

You cannot be serious that a meteorologist can work successfully operating in the visual range.  It's dark for about half the time!  This story is not even strong enough to be a joke.  It's testosterone driven 'we know this shit, we don't need no steeenkin navigator'.

She was relegated to crew, she was sacked from her position of plotting a strategic course based on all the available information.  The 'Men' took over.  It would have been almost impossible for Libby to break the 'me and my mate'  pairing

Witty know understands the benefit of the extra person so she stays.

This will be a long leg.... too long for anyone to read your utter crap day in and day out...... You are now Ignored (With Doug Lord) .... I hope the rest here follow

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, PIL007 said:

This will be a long leg.... too long for anyone to read your utter crap day in and day out...... You are now Ignored (With Doug Lord) .... I hope the rest here follow

So you can't handle the truth?  The obvious fucking truth!

the-three-monkeys-cafe.jpg

I like being on ignore, that means I can just keep posting and you apparently agree!  Fucking awesome arrangement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, PIL007 said:

This will be a long leg.... too long for anyone to read your utter crap day in and day out...... You are now Ignored (With Doug Lord) .... I hope the rest here follow

Life is sooo much better when you don't have to see his drivel...

Wish people wouldn't quote him.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2018 at 7:03 PM, southerncross said:

Pascal also back for this one.

I assume he will be replacing Franck Cammas.  Not sure if this has been posted yet, but based on a Google translate of this Le Telegram article, Cammas might return for another leg but has not committed:  https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.letelegramme.fr/voile/dongfeng-franck-cammas-cet-equipage-la-je-repars-avec-demain-20-01-2018-11820810.php&prev=search

Pascal was excellent for the vast majority of the early legs, with a couple of crucial errors that ended up costing DFRT a much sought after win.  Hoping he has ironed out any kinks, and that the transition back on the boat will be easy for him!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, WLIS Jibing said:

I assume he will be replacing Franck Cammas.

Yes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, charisma94 said:

Life is sooo much better when you don't have to see his drivel...

Wish people wouldn't quote him.

The best part about 'supposedly' being on ignore, is that people still can't help themselves but peek!  But after making the claim they forfeit the right to reply for fear of looking like  liar.  It's fascinating stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is Donald Trump on this thread? I sense that someone keeps making idiotic posts in the desperate need of self gratification.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@random You better write short posts if you want our attention, I don't think that I've ever managed to read more than 2 lines of your ramblings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread is going to shit already and the race is still two weeks away.

Random is right.  You guys can't help yourselves.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, rogerfal said:

We could take a holiday....

Note to self........

That works quite well. Responding to trolls in their own thread works too. Am also impressed that the sailors down under felt the need to apologize for him, and expect they will feel he is unfinished business. Another interesting part of the race.

aside: Brisbane Bill's westabpout record attempt almost failed a few days ago..https://tracker.ee/ Again. No drones, Raw media, sponsors or bleating. A good read to put all RTW efforts into context, and a nice break from random mindless posts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, stief said:

That works quite well. Responding to trolls in their own thread works too. Am also impressed that the sailors down under felt the need to apologize for him, and expect they will feel he is unfinished business. Another interesting part of the race.

I also noticed esoteric thread drifts seem to work as well.  Something along the lines of Flatbed V8's, the migratory routes of Godwits or Mongolian Guriltai Shul for example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎21‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 6:33 AM, southerncross said:


Leg 5

The boats will leave Hong Kong on 1 February and make a non-scoring transition to Guangzhou for a full stopover. That programme will include a scoring In-Port-Race and other on and off-water activities in the Guangzhou Race Village.

To conclude the leg, the boats will head back to Hong Kong to prepare for the start of Leg 6.

 
 

WRONG - leg is 1 point to each team to prevent teams from not making the trip. Not going amounts to a 1 point penalty. VOR really dropped the ball on this reducing sponsors exposure in China (many have large commercial interests there)

VOR seriously dropped the ball here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, WLIS Jibing said:

I assume he will be replacing Franck Cammas.  Not sure if this has been posted yet, but based on a Google translate of this Le Telegram article, Cammas might return for another leg but has not committed:  https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.letelegramme.fr/voile/dongfeng-franck-cammas-cet-equipage-la-je-repars-avec-demain-20-01-2018-11820810.php&prev=search

Pascal was excellent for the vast majority of the early legs, with a couple of crucial errors that ended up costing DFRT a much sought after win.  Hoping he has ironed out any kinks, and that the transition back on the boat will be easy for him!

Frank or Pascal? Either will do an excellent job

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, shanghaisailor said:

WRONG - leg is 1 point to each team to prevent teams from not making the trip. Not going amounts to a 1 point penalty. VOR really dropped the ball on this reducing sponsors exposure in China (many have large commercial interests there)

VOR seriously dropped the ball here

You're right.  1 point.  But I copied and pasted directly from the VOR site.  Can't find where that was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, southerncross said:

This thread is going to shit already and the race is still two weeks away.

Random is right.  You guys can't help yourselves.

 

3 hours ago, mad said:

It’s like having a sign saying wet paint. 

When you just can't help yourself

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

18 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

WRONG - leg is 1 point to each team to prevent teams from not making the trip. Not going amounts to a 1 point penalty. VOR really dropped the ball on this reducing sponsors exposure in China (many have large commercial interests there)

VOR seriously dropped the ball here

 

11 minutes ago, southerncross said:

You're right.  1 point.  But I copied and pasted directly from the VOR site.  Can't find where that was.

 

I posted the 1 point way up on post #12 ;)

On 21/01/2018 at 9:59 AM, hoppy said:

Actually it is scoring, they all get 1.

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/route/leg-5.html

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Hey mate it'll be dark in 30 mins." said Warro looking a little concerned.

"So?  What's your point?" asked Witty, semi interested, picking at a troublesome finger nail.

"Well, when it's fucking dark, we can't see the clouds mate, which way will we go now that we don't use the routing system anymore?" asked Warro

"Look," said Witty leaning closer and whispering. "Libby will be be on roster by then, I'll take a look at the latest charts then.  That will give me a 'feeling in my water' for the next heading." he said, with an exaggerated wink.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:
9 hours ago, WLIS Jibing said:

 

Frank or Pascal? Either will do an excellent job

Pascal is the more entertaining, I like him.  I'm keen for some more memorable quotes from him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

Frank or Pascal? Either will do an excellent job

Hi Shanghai.  I did not mean to imply otherwise.  On the whole, both Franck and Pascal were great, and I am rooting for both of them to continue to succeed in the race (although according to the google translate version of the Cammas interview I provided a link to, Cammas might not be sailing any other legs)!  I just meant that I hope that Pascal has a seamless transition back on the boat because he sat out leg 4.  Also, DFRT was in the lead for large segments of the early leg until they made a couple of key mistakes - e.g., a late gybe in leg 2 IIRC.  In future legs, I hope the team is once again able to gain the lead, and this time to eek out their first win.  And of course, seeing Pascal help get them there would be great. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pascal should start a consulting business on the Art of Clear and Honest communication.

"We are fucked ... completely fucked!"  Gold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites