southerncross

VOR Leg 6 Hong Kong to Auckland

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Chasm said:

I can't be bothered either. The whole lackluster media work of the 11th Hour Racing fatality did me in. (They are the ones with the biggest name on the boat after all. On top too.)

Stuff like the recent case of ban hammer does not help either. Does not seem like an obvious case to me and apparently not anyone either. Routing analysis would help to make this leg at least a bit interesting.

That's where these Sailing Anarchy comes into play otherwise agree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I'm finding myself shockingly uninterested in this leg.  I haven't watched a Live yet, and only check the tracker once or twice a day.  Is it just that I personally have (at least temporarily) lost interest, or are others feeling similarly disinterested?  I think the very long layover (I'm including "Leg 5" and all of the lame in-port events with poor coverage as part of the layover) was just too much of a break for me to retain the level of interest that I had before they got to HK.  Hopefully it'll come back.  I like the event.  I just feel kinda blah about the whole thing for some reason right now.

 

29 minutes ago, stief said:

Somewhat agree. The winter blues, post partum Christmas blahs, the lack of openness, the ridiculous reactions to the crash, the parade of Leg "5", (I think I missed some items), all contribute to making it harder to find the interesting bits.

Too, MAPF leading hasn't help the fan fervour.

 

26 minutes ago, Chasm said:

I can't be bothered either. The whole lackluster media work of the 11th Hour Racing fatality did me in. (They are the ones with the biggest name on the boat after all. On top too.)

Stuff like the recent case of ban hammer does not help either. Does not seem like an obvious case to me and apparently not anyone either. Routing analysis would help to make this leg at least a bit interesting.

I agree on all this.... The stopovers are just too long and boring... they just tried too hard to be something it will never be

In saying that, I am probably flying to NZ to have a look / drink

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Brunel reported struggling in these conditions in the last leg. Mapfre and Dong have nudged ahead. I wonder if they not quite able to match the top 2 running downwind right now? They would be in visual contact with each other so I wonder how much the binoculars are out? It's interesting how TT have been around 8 miles behind for quite some time now not gaining nor losing.

TBRU may have been distracted with the IT problems, and maybe checking connections around the pushpit. TTOP definitely looks to have managed the lagging through the 'peel-fest' of yesterday, so that's a good sign of teamwork. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, PIL007 said:

I agree on all this.... The stopovers are just too long and boring... they just tried too hard to be something it will never be

In saying that, I am probably flying to NZ to have a look / drink

Nice. Was tempted to go to Itajaí, but wife heard that kidnapping is a a bit of an industry there, so she killed that idea. Auckland offered a fly and rent RV for a week package, but the timing is off. 

Bottom line: looking forward to touring vicariously through your posts. Might be as good as reading the VORG thread: they have had the best thread in the forum.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After touching up Samoa, Cyclone Gita a Cat 4 now bearing down on Tonga and expected to hit as a Cat 5. Think I would rather be north of the equator this week in this race.

images (78).jpeg

unnamed (17).gif

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, stief said:

Was tempted to go to Itajaí, but wife heard that kidnapping is a a bit of an industry there, so she killed that idea.

stief Itajai and down south is fine, Salvador and northern states it has been going pear shaped in that department for many years. Police often the culprits.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Varan said:

Did dong engage their turbo drive again?

Sweet!

Nice try :lol:

The three amigos have the slowest averages in the fleet.

Team At position Average since last report
Gain/Loss 24h run Waypoint COG SOG VMG
Dongfeng Race Team 0.2 nm 501.9 nm Santa Ana Island 114° 20.1 kts 16.8 kts
MAPFRE -0.1 nm 500.6 nm Santa Ana Island 114° 20.1 kts 16.7 kts
Team Brunel -1.3 nm 501.9 nm Santa Ana Island 113° 20.1 kts 16.5 kts
Turn The Tide on Plastic 2.2 nm 505.0 nm Santa Ana Island 114° 20.4 kts 17.2 kts
Team AkzoNobel 5.9 nm 514.2 nm Dai Island 116° 20.5 kts 17.9 kts
Team Sun Hung Kai / Scallywag 11.3 nm 490.5 nm Dai Island 120° 20.6 kts 18.9 kts
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, but how about TToP. Most improved for sure, and hard not to root for. It is really good to see them hanging in there.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone else think that the Race would be more interesting if Race Control would allow downloads of the weather data made available to the teams?

And if forss / volodia / chasm would be given permission to access the tracks? RC would benefit, as they have, by using this place to beta test the stuff.

Sheesh--so hard to look at the tiny screens of these tweets. Really like RaceExpert stuff, but really like our own race experts.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a lot of talk about boats engaging their turbo's every now and then. I wonder how the different watch groups effect performance. Obviously no 2 helmsman are the same not to mention sail trimmers etc. This all falls under crew work etc however must play a part in the speed gains/losses every now and then? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, terrafirma said:

There's a lot of talk about boats engaging their turbo's every now and then. I wonder how the different watch groups effect performance. Obviously no 2 helmsman are the same not to mention sail trimmers etc. This all falls under crew work etc however must play a part in the speed gains/losses every now and then? 

Agree. Was thinking about that yesterday when we saw 24 hrs of straight line racing. Teams would have gone through their watch rotation at least once. Lots of peels reported , so lots of teamwork and watch rotation disruption too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, stief said:

Anyone else think that the Race would be more interesting if Race Control would allow downloads of the weather data made available to the teams?

Can do that with a subscription to Squid..just need to sell a kidney or find around  Euro 200 / month or Euro 900 / year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Can do that with a subscription to Squid..just need to sell a kidney or find around  Euro 200 / month or Euro 900 / year.

Wouldn't that just be the genetic data GreatCircle provides all its customers? I'm thinking of access to the specific data GreatCircle provides Cape, Vila, and all the other navs in the VOR (presumably the shore teams too). https://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/news/10177_Great-CircleSQUID-selected-as-official-weather-information-supplier-for-the-Volvo-Ocean-Race-2017-18.html

If so, I'll throw in $50 CDN for anyone who wants to try. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mid said:

fleet is too spread and far too many possible scenarios , where's the fast forward button ?

At least we always have something to complain about...  When the fleet are together, we moan about another parade, and nobody taking a chance or a flyer.

I am happy to see underdogs Ttop with 2 scheds in a row of best speed of the leading 4. With Vestas out this leg, I'm rooting for the fantastic plastics.

Also love the current snapshot on the tracker- showing Ttop doing 33.3 knots boatspeed in 19 knots of wind. They must be using the Whomper!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, stief said:

Wouldn't that just be the genetic data GreatCircle provides all its customers? I'm thinking of access to the specific data GreatCircle provides Cape, Vila, and all the other navs in the VOR (presumably the show teams too). https://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/news/10177_Great-CircleSQUID-selected-as-official-weather-information-supplier-for-the-Volvo-Ocean-Race-2017-18.html

If so, I'll throw in $50 CDN for anyone who wants to try. 

To best of my knowledge they supply to each boat exactly what joe public can subscribe to and nothing special.

My guess is Squid have stumped up a substantial VOR Partner fee. If they were providing the RO with anything better than available via Subscription (which is expensive) they would in effect be trashing their own brand.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, oceangeek said:

the Whomper!

now there's a blast from the past

5a80f7bc93912_GeronimoflyingtheWhomper.thumb.jpg.6a3833f0c6a09c3fbaa1bd7b69bf5a9b.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Volvo tracker shows Turn The Tide doing 33.3 Knots..!  Wet and Wild for sure. Wonder what the top speed has been for this leg so far and which boat? Surely race control could be pumping this out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, FoilingMonohull said:

If these tracker colors for windspeeds are accurate is Scally not completely hosed?

 

image.thumb.png.16f29c801631eb15bf9d2db01cb9dd23.png

To blindly go where no one has gone before.... Witt Trek.

And talk about turbo, it's TToP's turn...

holyfuck.thumb.jpg.4bd6fe934c35fd7fbb976f28cbb1149f.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FoilingMonohull said:

If these tracker colors for windspeeds are accurate is Scally not completely hosed?

 

image.thumb.png.16f29c801631eb15bf9d2db01cb9dd23.png

Looks very tight so the accuracy would be the factor notwithstanding the top boats may have a better angle during the transition early ,whereas Scally's angle looks a tad better later? Interesting to see who comes through better maybe a chance for gains or losses

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The racers are failing to entertain. Oh my.   Guess I’ll have to place private bets with self of doldrums strategy. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, thetruth said:

Vestas landed and on a truck as we speak to AKL

I noted that vessel had docked at Tauranga the other day.  Good speed.  I hope it all comes together for V11 and they're on the start line for Leg 7.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scallylucky still keeping their nerve and staying high to keep a good angle when hooking south further down the track..at some stage though the temptation is going to be too great and they will put the right hand down...wonder how long it is before they crack?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Scallylucky still keeping their nerve and staying high to keep a good angle when hooking south further down the track..at some stage though the temptation is going to be too great and they will put the right hand down...wonder how long it is before they crack?

Indeed, let's hope they wait as long as possible. They might get to smell the roses yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With regards to the comments on losing interest. I actually had a conversation with a few of the VOR staff who were worried about the same thing.

Having been in HK and China, the mainland stopover was a complete pain in the arse for me. I was trying to do my day job with massively reduced comms, and it was extremely frustrating. VPNs were struggling and email was not working easily. 

All of that said, for Volvo and Dongfeng it was obviously massively important,  and you could see how hard they were working to make it a commercial success. Perhaps more importantly for me, I went to a UN environment seminar on Ocean Health, whilst stood with my back to one of the top 10 Ocean polluting rivers in the world.  The lead Chinese scientists were absolute advocates for finding solutions,  and understood the difficult political battles they would have.  The lead UN representative admitted that it would not have been possible to have the seminar put together so quickly without having an event as big as the VOR in town.

So, was it a pain in the arse, yes; was the venue impressive... In an empty, new build waiting to be filled, kind of way.

Did it help the race from a sporting perspective,  not in any way that I could see. 

Did it do more for the future funding of the race than any other stopover.... Quite possibly. Did it do good for the good of our playground... In a small way, very definitely. 

In balance,  we lost a bit of the sporting integrity,  but overall I think we, as fans, probably gained.  We just don't know it...and that comes down to VORs comms.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, stief said:

Nice. Was tempted to go to Itajaí, but wife heard that kidnapping is a a bit of an industry there, so she killed that idea. Auckland offered a fly and rent RV for a week package, but the timing is off. 

Bottom line: looking forward to touring vicariously through your posts. Might be as good as reading the VORG thread: they have had the best thread in the forum.

 Join us in Göteborg or Den Haag!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Scallylucky still keeping their nerve and staying high to keep a good angle when hooking south further down the track..at some stage though the temptation is going to be too great and they will put the right hand down...wonder how long it is before they crack?

Looking much better via the latest sked. Their speed is ok given where they are. 24 Miles behind is a lot better than a 115 compared to a couple of days ago. They may have a talent for coming from behind and sailing a different course. The northern group are coming down so lets so what happens when they get closer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Battleship said:

Vestas arrived in Tauranga on the Truck now to Auckland.

 

Image may contain: sky and outdoor

Great shot. Didn't realise the bow was that bad.? Some work to do...! Missing one boat is a real tragedy given the smallish fleet.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given the extent of the damage which is now apparent surely this is not cut out an odd shaped panel but cut the whole bow off and replace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DtM said:

Given the extent of the damage which is now apparent surely this is not cut out an odd shaped panel but cut the whole bow off and replace.

I think there was a press release saying that a new bow was being made in Italy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

"Caudrelier reckons it’s been as case of the blind leading the blind, as he explained. “What’s funny is that some boats are following us and every time we change our heading, they change theirs, but what they don’t know is that…we don’t know where to go because we have had no forecast nearly since day two....."

^_^^_^^_^

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK. So we know where V11HR is. Any intelligence on crew dispersement?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you believe the long range forecast, they will all be parked up in no wind close after the Solomon islands next week!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Battleship said:

Vestas arrived in Tauranga on the Truck now to Auckland.

I don't quite understand the masking tape number. With bulkhead(s) no doubt semi-fucked at best, doesn't that equal a new Persico bow section not a re-skin?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Panoramix said:

If you believe the long range forecast, they will all be parked up in no wind close after the Solomon islands next week!

It is a bit sporty south of that postcode right now and through to the end of next week. This will push through an unexpected westerly flow up north then from the NE closing NZ. This system which just happens to be a Cat 4/5 cyclone at the moment is going to fuck up some routing plans big time. 

The last 7 days closing NZ is going to be extraordinarly challenging so don't be surprised if you see Nav's step off at Auckland totally fucked.

unnamed (17).gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

I don't quite understand the masking tape number. With bulkhead(s) no doubt semi-fucked at best, doesn't that equal a new Persico bow section not a re-skin?

I believe I read somewhere that Persico IS building a new bow section.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, despacio avenue said:

I believe I read somewhere that Persico IS building a new bow section.

That is the plan it seems desperado..maybe the masking tape is just a skin/other structure fucked identifier done at day one in HK.

PS. Sorry DtM I missed your post above about this subject when posting the question. My only excuse is so has Team Vestas and the RO going MIA and who obviously believe secrets sell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the Daily Live:  Who would have guessed it.? The nav's still carry sextants onboard just in case all the coms go down.  Apparently all nav's are adept as using them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Latest from Xabi Fernández, skipper of MAPFRE: 

Hi all,

New leg , same story. We have done 4 days sailing in all conditions and here we are, 0.4 nm from Dongfeng Race Team and 7 nm from Team Brunel.

After sailing away to Auckland for 2 days, we took the front last night and since then we have had a very good sailing. Quite windy and going fast and fighting for every boat length we can find in the way. I already see, it is going to be an exhausting leg but we knew this before the start, I guess.

The truth is we are looking forward for some trade winds sailing, sunny and clear skies! Right now the visibility is low and they are all grey days so I hope it gets better soon. We will have a transition to pass tomorrow and I guess we will meet all together again and restart the race.

For the rest all good on board, everyone is ok and trying to have as much rest as we can.

Best regards from MAPFRE.
Xabi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The discrepancy between the wind model in the tracker and the actuals from the boats remains overwhelming... WTF?

So now we need a real expert to interpolate. Anyone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, southerncross said:

From the Daily Live:  Who would have guessed it.? The nav's still carry sextants onboard just in case all the coms go down.  Apparently all nav's are adept as using them.

It's also part of the yachtmaster training, I think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

It's also part of the yachtmaster training, I think?

Only a requirement at YM Ocean level, which these VOR guys don't need to do, though some may have that qualification anyway.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

It's also part of the yachtmaster training, I think?

yachtmaster ocean only afaik :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Grinning Ape said:

Only a requirement at YM Ocean level, which these VOR guys don't need to do, though some may have that qualification anyway.   

Ok, so they had to take the offshore YM, not ocean?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Person in Charge, Reserve Person in Charge and Navigator need, at minimum, the YM Ocean. The rest needs at least the YM Costal Skipper.

The Navigator can also be PIC or RPIC. There is a provision to accept equivalent certificates. (Because the certificate issued by your nation tends to be the interesting one when it comes to legalese.)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rennmaus said:

watch?v=P4kOnVR6jXo

 

Weird, I embedded today's Live link here, but nothing shows.

Is mine not showing above?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Who would have guessed it.? The nav's still carry sextants onboard just in case all the coms go down.

Southern only ones guessing is anyone who thinks that Thomas Edison's invention and things electronic are imune to failure in an extreme marine environment. 

That said, I think that wonderfull instrument first conjured up by an English nerdy maths freak named John Hadley in the early 1700's, will be collecting dust with redundancy planning in mind in the form of handheld(s).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't see yours Renny. Tested a paste here which worked like SC's.  FB and You Tube posts resolve fine--only tweets need the "plain text" option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Southern only ones guessing is anyone who thinks that Thomas Edison's invention and things electronic are imune to failure in an extreme marine environment. 

That said, I think that wonderfull instrument first conjured up by an English nerdy maths freak named John Hadley in the early 1700's, will be collecting dust with redundancy planning in mind in the form of handheld(s).

Looks like my post was lost on most.  It was in made to point out that the navigators are not just screen zombies and actually know how to navigate using more than a hand bearing compass.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Andalay said:

Way to go Scally, is that magic or what

 

They would trade places with the Paintwagon all day long at the moment and who hasnt had to pull the trigger.

Teapots barb wire straddle is looking good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Looks like my post was lost on most.  It was in made to point out that the navigators are not just screen zombies and actually know how to navigate using more that a hand bearing compass.  Keep up lads and lasses.

Your moronic audience is limited, imunune to education, loud and not good listeners. Good effort trying though southern.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Your moronic audience is limited, imunune to education, loud and not good listeners. Good effort trying though southern.

But at least he can spell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Go chew (sorry I forgot you have no natural teeth..so suck) on a bag of dicks.

C'mon man, my 18 year old nephew can do better than that:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

You are a science experiment gone wrong..you have no family. 

You haven't the faintest idea who or what I am. All I know about you is you have a bad temper and you really, really need to work on your insult skills.  :P

That's enough from me for the time being.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Andalay said:

You haven't the faintest idea who or what I am. All I know about you is you have a bad temper and you really, really need to work on your insult skills.  :P

That's enough from me for the time being.

Come on Ando don't go silent and sulk..you have already told us you have sucessfully done a million miles incl the wild seas of Antigua Race Week with just a compass and a cube of barely suger between your teeth.

You have critisised every Nav in this race as being computer jockeys, but don't know them, save  for Capey because you said "you know him and he knows you".

I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for another download of your navigational experience and knowledge to lock away as gold.

Come on Ando, please think again before pulling the curtain down son.

images (1).jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Two Reds splitting off.

Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 3.48.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 3.48.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 3.55.03 PM.png

Red boats always sticking together.  Even during the in-port races, it’s been as if these two teams are match racing each other and didn’t have the rest of the fleet to worry about. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Two Reds splitting off.

No split..just the transition..will be interesting to see how it effects the Paintwaggon and Scallylucky yet to hit it...if indeed they do.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, WLIS Jibing said:

Red boats always sticking together.  Even during the in-port races, it’s been as if these two teams are match racing each other and didn’t have the rest of the fleet to worry about. 

Mapfre just has to keep it close to Dong in this one.  The double pointer will be full on I expect.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites