southerncross

VOR Leg 6 Hong Kong to Auckland

22 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Hmmm. Creative license and all - but there's something not quite right with that chicken's anatomy. Of course, being bought up on a chook farm helps. :rolleyes:

My guess being a polycarbonate chook it could have some anatomical short comings. However that doesn't excuse Volvo for putting the vagina in the tailgate, they usually sit behind the wheel.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, paps49 said:

Stay at a Hilton?  Your cattywhomper is fighting a losing battle!

I don't see how .. I've never had a failure using a modified Taradiddle Key at not just the Hilton but many other chains. I think your just jealous.

2 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

I don't see how .. I've never had a failure using a modified Taradiddle Key at not just the Hilton but many other chains. I think your just jealous.

That must be it, diddle away young man.

Works in progress at Persico

" We are very close to the Team Vestas after the accident in China.

Helping them out with a new bow section. We are ready for the next stopover in New Zealand. "

bow.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, paps49 said:

A drag race to a crap shoot, this is why we love sailing.  Someone has to.

I love sailing because you don't need a propeller.

2 minutes ago, 3to1 said:

I love sailing because you don't need a propeller.

get that one will ya Max ? B)

17 minutes ago, Puntone said:

Works in progress at Persico

" We are very close to the Team Vestas after the accident in China.

Helping them out with a new bow section. We are ready for the next stopover in New Zealand. "

bow.jpg

No doubt that there is another half going in the big box along with a whole bunch of other stuff. By the photos................YDL in NZ to sort

15 hours ago, Andalay said:

No no, you misunderstand. Perhaps I miscommunicated?

The modern way is wrong, in my view, when it ignores lessons from the past.

I have been ranting (too much I admit) about people who stare at screens to the exclusion of all else. I don't know where you live but where I do 70% or so of the people on the street never look up from their phones. Many people call themselves navs because they can afford to buy the toys. I see them all the time in my local sailing scene, some of them very well decorated by race results simply because they have shelled out on hard-to-beat boats.

I once asked the so called navigator what the true wind angle around the next mark would be (I already knew it from doing it in my head). He spent fifteen minutes staring at his hand held GPS, never once looked at the compass or the windex and gave us a wrong answer once we had rounded. Never once looked over the bow of the boat.

Woulter may have a great reputation but FFS he put a multi million dollar yacht on the bricks through sheer operator error.

I rest my case.

Will you just shut the fuck up!!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mad said:

Will you just shut the fuck up!!

Sure  :P

5 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Teapot goes for the backdoor..they have wide grins...wonder why?

They're sending it.  Go AkzoNobel.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Andalay said:

Sure  :P

I think I liked you better as a newbie, lurker, Andalay.

No, that's incorrect. I definitely liked you better then.

10 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

They're sending it.  Go AkzoNobel.

How goods that? Love it. Great to see them using the Scally initiative..! Separate..! Send it..! 

16 hours ago, Andalay said:

Sorry folks

You good people don't deserve to have to read the bullshit that I and sparrow are putting up

My apologies. I'm stopping now

Thank fuck for that!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mad said:

Thank fuck for that!!!!!!!!!

:wub:

On 2018-02-12 at 2:09 AM, Rennmaus said:

Join us in Göteborg or Den Haag!!!

Sorry to miss that, but thanks for the invite. Malaga and Brussels in Nov/Dec, I was told. My bid for Den Haag and Alicante was ignored. 

21 hours ago, audiopixie said:

ahhhh thanks! I have some catching up to do... :D

If you're browsing other threads, the Clean video reviews of the legs are worth the watch. JBC was featured in the last one. Here's a starting point , but the reviews are scattered elsewhere, 

8 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Volvo Race Tracker = 1 hour excitement + 5 hours thread drift and abuse = 6 hour updates.

Lots to follow in the 5 hrs of ignoring the chaff.  e.g., been watching--hope you ducked the trouble. 

trout

On 2018-02-12 at 2:08 AM, Potter said:

With regards to the comments on losing interest. I actually had a conversation with a few of the VOR staff who were worried about the same thing.

Having been in HK and China, the mainland stopover was a complete pain in the arse for me. I was trying to do my day job with massively reduced comms, and it was extremely frustrating. VPNs were struggling and email was not working easily. 

All of that said, for Volvo and Dongfeng it was obviously massively important,  and you could see how hard they were working to make it a commercial success. Perhaps more importantly for me, I went to a UN environment seminar on Ocean Health, whilst stood with my back to one of the top 10 Ocean polluting rivers in the world.  The lead Chinese scientists were absolute advocates for finding solutions,  and understood the difficult political battles they would have.  The lead UN representative admitted that it would not have been possible to have the seminar put together so quickly without having an event as big as the VOR in town.

So, was it a pain in the arse, yes; was the venue impressive... In an empty, new build waiting to be filled, kind of way.

Did it help the race from a sporting perspective,  not in any way that I could see. 

Did it do more for the future funding of the race than any other stopover.... Quite possibly. Did it do good for the good of our playground... In a small way, very definitely. 

In balance,  we lost a bit of the sporting integrity,  but overall I think we, as fans, probably gained.  We just don't know it...and that comes down to VORs comms.

Gold. I'm starting to be convinced that the social justice topics are more than just tokenism. The education initiatives ( buoy launches, weather collection, green power, and more) in the global races often seem  irrelevant  . . .  but as you say, are part of the long game. Changes in education curricula are said to take 35 years to be implemented, so maybe our kids will see the effects. Some more numbers:

Hong Kong was the busiest stopover so far for our Education Programme. Around 3020 students attend sustainability workshops in the Race Village. There was encouraging feedback from the 70 teachers who also came along.

Globally, the Education Programme has currently been downloaded in 32 different countries with more recent additions including Austria, Mexico, Bulgaria and Greece. Around the world, the programme is being used by over 37,000 students. 

Anne-Cecile Turner, Sustainability Programme Leader for the Volvo Ocean Race, said: “We are seeing the range of initiatives that form part the Sustainability Programme have a real impact at the Race stopovers and beyond.

https://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/news/11001_The-Race-has-left-but-the-legacy-remains.htm

• Like 1

@ SC. You tried. Figured yesterday's Live (one of the best in a while) would have gotten a lot more attention here than just the sextant part. Nothing about Conrad and Niall calling out Dee on the luck comment?  And the detailed listing of the data RC receives? Too funny. Wondered how many actually watch the Live, rather than just reacting. 

Wonder what surprises will be in today's Live. Guessing it will be about strategy, but hoping for details about why the models have been so disparate. Maybe GreatCircle as the special guest?

Steif, the RAW's are always the best.  Yachting according to Witt and a nod to Andalay.

https://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/raw/6584.html

Jeremie Lecaudey/Volvo Ocean Race

Leg 6 to Auckland, day 07 on board Sun hung Kai/Scallywag.

Crossing path with USA territory islands, lookied like a small vulcano from the boat.13 February, 2018.

Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 12.46.41 PM.png

• Like 5

Rich Edwards/Volvo Ocean Race

Leg 6 to Auckland, day 07 on board AkzoNobel. 13 February, 2018.

Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 12.48.28 PM.png

Latest from Dee Caffari, skipper onboard Turn the Tide on Plastic:

The transition was interesting. It rained a lot and it was very cloudy and then we were surprised by clear skies and beautiful stars only to have it disappear again in a cloud. The wind was up and down and shifting all the time. We were ready for it and as expected ran into the three lead boats, almost quite literally. As Nico said we are so close we can smell their farts! We could also hear their conversations making us realise we were probably making the most noise out of everyone out there.

The clouds cleared and the wind steadied and the sea was filled with amazing phosphorescence. At times it looked like we had pimped our ride and given ourselves underwater lighting. Weirdly having been so close to Dongfeng and MAPFRE, we ended up sailing into the trade winds with Brunel breathing down our necks. MAPFRE and Dongfeng went off together and it seems AkzoNobel and Scallywag are sitting pretty. But are these short term gains or have we made a mistake with our plan for long term, big picture planning? Time will tell.

Dee and Team TTTOP

As seen here https://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/raw/6610.html

• Like 1

Peter Tans on the sails. Not much once he got past the obligatory sails-for-dummies part, but maybe a good argument for having the J1 on a fuller next round?

Xabi mumbling away. Imagine him joking, Witty-style, about yesterday's gybe-fest with DFRT?  Haha.

I was just wondering when we'd hear from Vestas crew.  Towhil and Enright to be on Live at the end of this Leg.

Love some of the comments about HK & China.

When will the world wake up? China 2nd biggest economy in the world, Volvo Cars Owned by Chinese, Volvo AB 8.4% owned by Chinese.

Pro-Am in Guangzhou unofficially livestreamed - using 2 iPhones would you believe - through we chat and a using a total of 17 channels to 1.98 MILLION active viewers. VOR could only manage a delayed broadcast of the previous day's in-port race.

I wonder what VOR's all time record for a livestream viewership is, I bet it doesn't come close to 2 million.

Does VOR need China? Well as the sponsors depend on ROI and every single team in the current race (and previous one if I remember correctly) have either a business benefit from visiting China or an important message to tell in China.

Quite simply VOR cannot afford to ignore China or the opportunities it presents.

Of course I am biased but as I actually live here I can actually see the opportunities rather more clearly than those who have never even visited.

Just sayin

SS

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, stief said:

44 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Steif, the RAW's are always the best.  Yachting according to Witt and a nod to Andalay.

https://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/raw/6584.html

True that. Primary sources rule, as you know I know. Witty and Libby are too funny, like the gambler who brags about his run in Vegas. 

Best of both worlds. a self proclaimed dinosaur who likes to look out the window and a real expert - meteorologist no less.

Seems to be working at present.

45 minutes ago, stief said:

Any links to those streams, SS? I asked earlier.

Nope because they weren't internet streams per se. They were a couple of bods with iPhones, one on Dongfeng and one on TTOP and they were going out on wechat. Just like a phone call or video call isn't retained on a server neither was this but, as I said 1.98m 'tuned in'. I just thought that was chuffing amazing

Pretty impressive when VOR couldn't do the previous day's inport live. I am sure they had problems with China's 'firewall' but I am able to watch livestreams from outside China without a VPN so I don't know what their challenges were.

I'm sure someone on here might know

Ss 

Getting sick of the weasel words, today's Nial's, about promising to broadcast information about Vestas Investigation "when something comes available". Like they have nothing to report at all after 3 1/2 weeks???...give us a break.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

Nope because they weren't internet streams per se. They were a couple of bods with iPhones, one on Dongfeng and one on TTOP and they were going out on wechat. Just like a phone call or video call isn't retained on a server neither was this but, as I said 1.98m 'tuned in'. I just thought that was chuffing amazing

Pretty impressive when VOR couldn't do the previous day's inport live. I am sure they had problems with China's 'firewall' but I am able to watch livestreams from outside China without a VPN so I don't know what their challenges were.

I'm sure someone on here might know

Ss 

Re links, makes some sense. I Watched one stream on Facebook that someone posted here . . .  thought it originated on DFRT's FB page.

If you have contacts with the DFRT's media people, would be good to hear more about the challenges they faced getting news (I don't mean the infomercials) out, and the future plans to work around the comm difficulties. From the outside, the China part was very hard to stay interested, but I believed your front page report that it was fun inside.  

21 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Getting sick of the weasel words, today's Nial's, about promising to broadcast information about Vestas Investigation "when something comes available". Like they have nothing to report at all after 3 1/2 weeks???...give us a break.

You misunderstand what "available" means... in legalese. That means information that has been reviewed, redacted, re-edited and re-gurgitated by a minimum of 4 levels of corporate counsel, prior to being sent back twice for more rounds of reviews, to ensure nothing imparts undue liability or could negatively influence any potential future litigation. Simple!

• Like 2

Can't zoom in enough on the VOR tracker to see how the DFRT-MAPF match is going. Looks like MAPF is behind. Anyone figure out how TBRU got away from TTOP? Was it just the one cloud Bouwe mentioned?

Text version snipped; courtesy Peter Rusch:

At one point overnight (local time), MAPFRE, Dongfeng, Brunel and Turn the Tide on Plastic were within about two miles of each other. In fact, Brunel and MAPFRE were much closer than that.

“We had a good bit of fun last night,” explained Brunel’s Peter Burling. “We kind of got stuck about a boatlength behind MAPFRE and we had a good little battle there for about half an hour. Eventually we managed to get over the top of them, so it was good.”

But that wasn’t the end of the story.

MAPFRE and Dongfeng made a decisive turn to the west, trying to minimise their time in the unstable conditions. Brunel and Turn the Tide on Plastic weren’t able to follow them and a split developed.

“They both speared off doing 12 knots to the west and we just couldn’t get over there and that was bloody annoying,” said Brunel skipper Bouwe Bekking. “And then Turn the Tide on Plastic came up underneath us. We slowly but surely got the breeze but MAPFRE and Dongfeng found it first and they’ve made a massive jump on us.”

https://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/news/11036_Match-racing-south.html

18 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

It is a good question. OTOH, my experience with things like coronial enquiries is that everything does go totally dark from the outside whilst various public servants do their stuff. Interim reports, various requests and random paperwork will wend their way around various officials, and if there is any political slant things will slow even further down as the career public servants keep their heads down. Eventually the entire mess pops up with an officially announced date for either public hearings or similar to begin, a date that is usually some additional time in the future. Things go dead quiet again, and then finally, there is publicly visible action. The western view of Chinese bureaucracy has traditionally been that they make an art form of such long winded processes. Even the Hong Kong marine investigation reports take almost exactly a year to appear after an accident. Only after that report appears does any legal action begin. 

What nobody sees is the internal machinations and workings behind the scenes. If the entire thing goes off with no political or other major consequences those machinations will have been boring anyway. If there is serious stuff brewing, even hinting at it would have the VOR office almost catatonic with fear. 

There will be stuff happening, and it would be really interesting to know. But short of having someone on the inside able to leak the details, I doubt there is anything useful to be had yet.

20 minutes ago, Francis Vaughan said:

Even the Hong Kong marine investigation reports take almost exactly a year to appear after an accident. Only after that report appears does any legal action begin. 

Absolutely right. My one involvement in such an investigation - the loss of the Barquentine Osprey during Typhoon Ellen in 1983, with 8 deaths, indicates a possible cover up to protect HK MarDep.

21 minutes ago, stief said:

Far out. They can almost wave at each other. Shame the Clippers aren't stopping in HK, Sir Robin is always a good man to hoist a cold one with.

17 minutes ago, stief said:

For those looking for VS11 info, the VOR just retweeted this:

I did not realize the boats are collecting data on microplastics as they race through some of the most remote stretches of the ocean. What a great idea!  This is truly more than “just a race”. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, WLIS Jibing said:

I did not realize the boats are collecting data on microplastics as they race through some of the most remote stretches of the ocean. What a great idea!  This is truly more than “just a race”. 

(Sorry, I moved that post to the VS11 forum)

Anyway, in the "more than a race", there's also the education program https://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/sustainability/education.html and the science program https://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/news/10225_What-is-the-Science-Programme.html

Not sure when the weather data gets fed into NOAA, but presume it is used to compare forecast and actual info.

The data from the boats this time may help model the speed of future fronts better. Witty will be pleased :) 

IIRC, the Barcelona World Race really had the best program. The VG too: Conrad Colman's 'green' energy comes to mind.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WLIS Jibing said:

Yes, it's a good idea but whether or not they get important data is a moot point. It's more about positioning VOR as being serious on sustainability. Although that's a good thing too.

If you haven't watched the film 'A Plastic Ocean'. you should.

There is quite a lot of misrepresentation in it and some bad science but the message is valid and it is important. No way I know ti watch it for free - you'll have to buy it. Worth the watch.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Andalay said:

Yes, it's a good idea but whether or not they get important data is a moot point. It's more about positioning VOR as being serious on sustainability. Although that's a good thing too.

There is quite a lot of misrepresentation in it and some bad science but the message is valid and it is important. No way I know to watch it for free - you'll have to buy it. Worth the watch.

And don't get too worried when they tell you not to eat seafood because of BPA contamination. Yes, it is measurable in humans but in PPB amounts. That's  one of the misrepresentations in the film. 

2 minutes ago, stief said:

Didn't TBRU also get behind the Ocean Cleanup project stated by the young Dutchman?

http://www.yachtingworld.com/news/ocean-cleanup-foundation-tests-large-scale-boom-system-clearing-plastic-waste-from-pacific-98642

As I say, my sources tell me that VOR wants to position themselves as serious on sustainability.

There are very serious players in this game who missed the boat this time around. I hope they will be there next time.

from Vila about the gybing:

Last night we were a group of four boats trying to go through the light wind transition from the Northerly to the NE trade winds. The front that passed three days ago had stalled in front of us while dissipating, and once crossed that line wind was almost calm. DFRT and us tried a position further south to have a better transition, by crossing the cloud line back and forth several times, and today we only see DFRT from the fleet. We have been sailing within a mile of each other the whole day today, reaching with a moderate Ne trade wind that increased through the day.

We expect now those trade wind conditions to continue or about three days, getting fresh from tomorrow, and we will start seeing some typical shower activity from the trades. After that, we will have to deal with another light wind zone to cross as the wind will shift from NW to W well north of the Salomon’s.

All is well on board MAPFRE. Temperatures are warming up every day, and everyone is happy to enjoy sailing with a competitor close by. As we missed seeing any of the Mariana Islands, we look forward to maybe see some atolls of the Micronesia as we go through.

Joan Vila.

http://desafiomapfre.com/en/welcome-trade-winds/

1 hour ago, Andalay said:

There is quite a lot of misrepresentation in it and some bad science but the message is valid and it is important. No way I know ti watch it for free - you'll have to buy it. Worth the watch.

Point taken.  I would expect the data collected not to be vastly helpful for scientific purposes.  After all, it was collected during a race, without any scientific protocol. On the other hand, as you point out, this is a great way to position the VOR as being serious on sustainability, not to mention the presence of 11th hour and Turn the Tide as sponsors. 

I will look out for that video- thanks for the recommendation.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WLIS Jibing said:

Point taken.  I would expect the data collected not to be vastly helpful for scientific purposes.  After all, it was collected during a race, without any scientific protocol. On the other hand, as you point out, this is a great way to position the VOR as being serious on sustainability, not to mention the presence of 11th hour and Turn the Tide as sponsors. 

I will look out for that video- thanks for the recommendation.  

Well the couple of crew members on TTTOP have been through training with the UNEP Ocean Observation Group scientists that built and tested the machine. The water is collected at one spot, filtered over a couple of days and then the filters are changed. They are then taken off the boat and given to the scientists at each stopover. UNEP have been very happy to get the results, in some cases it has been for confirmation, and in others entirely new data.

I can guarantee that if it was not proving useful to the UNEP then it would be thrown off the boats pretty quickly.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Andalay said:

Far out. They can almost wave at each other. Shame the Clippers aren't stopping in HK, Sir Robin is always a good man to hoist a cold one with.

we had a pit stop on 13-14 in HK, when the fleet forestay bottlescrews started failing. didn't see anything of the city though, no visas :ph34r: 

Hmmm. DFRT-MAPF may regret the move west, if Gonzalo is right: Nice clear explanation

Almost forgot: today is the last day of Mardi Gras, when all good traditional Catholics have to bank 40 days of partying into a few nights.

Didn't know about Singles Day, or that Tues 13 in Spain = Fri 13 in English

1 hour ago, Potter said:

Well the couple of crew members on TTTOP have been through training with the UNEP Ocean Observation Group scientists that built and tested the machine. The water is collected at one spot, filtered over a couple of days and then the filters are changed. They are then taken off the boat and given to the scientists at each stopover. UNEP have been very happy to get the results, in some cases it has been for confirmation, and in others entirely new data.

I can guarantee that if it was not proving useful to the UNEP then it would be thrown off the boats pretty quickly.

Interesting

And you can guarantee this how? What is your connection with UNEP?

1 hour ago, audiopixie said:

we had a pit stop on 13-14 in HK, when the fleet forestay bottlescrews started failing. didn't see anything of the city though, no visas :ph34r: 

Shit, sorry I missed you

5 minutes ago, Andalay said:

Interesting

And you can guarantee this how? What is your connection with UNEP?

And just to make a point, for most professional environmentalists, UNEP is a waste of time

Andalay, why don't you think before you post. Your stream of consciousness posting is a complete pain.

Potter does not have to justify himself to you and if you haven't figured out the links then you are a complete fool.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, DtM said:

Andalay, why don't you think before you post. Your stream of consciousness posting is a complete pain.

Potter does not have to justify himself to you and if you haven't figured out the links then you are a complete fool.

Hey man, I only ask where he gets his assurance from.

UNEP are not a reliable source

• Downvote 1

the Value to UNEP may be more from publicity than actual science... UN is a political organ and does not do credible science. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Andalay said:

And just to make a point, for most professional environmentalists, UNEP is a waste of time

Do you have a cite for that?? 

2 minutes ago, mad said:

Do you have a cite for that?? 

Not worth talking to you Mad but yes 30 years working in the field for three governments. UNEP a political bullshit org. Rant away. I am going to bed

6 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

When will the world wake up? China 2nd biggest economy in the world, Volvo Cars Owned by eve - through we

Well, at least my part of the world is preparing for the Chinese invasion! If you visit us, you can pay with your local methods. Union Pay (they have outnumbered Visa) is  available in most places where tourists go, and Alipay is also just introduced. 

But it’s been a lot of work to implement this, and I’m happy to be leaving the payment industry in a few weeks :) 

All right, back to sailing. 

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Andalay said:

Not worth talking to you Mad but yes 30 years working in the field for three governments. UNEP a political bullshit org. Rant away. I am going to bed

So no cite, just your opinion then. 

Ouch: Bouwe Blog 46

Radical
It has been an interesting last 24 hours. Scally and Akzo, I am sure ended without having this in their original plan in the lead. This shows that weather routing is sometimes a tricky thing. We had some great battles last night with Dongfeng and Mapfre and it was a good feeling that we passed them in the light conditions going through the transition into the easterly breeze. Then we parked up and Dongfeng and Mapfre made the radical move to gybe and sail 270 degrees while under a black cloud, a course away from New Zealand in the hope to get around the lighter air. This worked out initially good for them, but we think in the long run our course is better.

Bloody painful
Of course, we were worried that they disappeared over the horizon, as they did 10 knots and we a whopping 3 knots. To make it worse Turn The Tide also found a streak of breeze and sailed right under us and got 4 miles ahead. To make the evening really bad, while handing over the wheel, I stepped right in the opened aft hatch, who somebody had opened :-( 
Bloody painful but I kept going. But then after I went down, saw it was worse than expected. When I took my boot off, saw that my sock color had changed from original white into deep red, and then saw the ugly wound on my skin bone.I love to "play" doctor but helping yourself is no fun. Have to admit that I was worried that my shin bone had broken, popping through the skin the before popping back into place. Things go through your head. Stitching is impossible as there is not enough skin, so finally used some strips and glue. Also on antibiotics, just to be save.

Magnificent
For the rest, the day has been well. The crew has been trimming like mad and we smoked Turn The Tide, from 4 miles behind to 12.5 Miles ahead, they must scratch their heads. So now for the first time in this leg, we are totally by ourselves, under a magnificent clear sky and a nice breeze, life is good!

https://brunelsailing.net/us/en/news/bouwe-blog-46

1 minute ago, jack_sparrow said:

RKJ is a pompous git so that makes sense.

Personally, I think he's earned the right to a little bit of pomposity... ;)

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Weyalan said:

Personally, I think he's earned the right to a little bit of pomposity... ;)

True but doesn't mean you wear that jacket in the bar everyday no matter the weather. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Francis Vaughan said:

Even the Hong Kong marine investigation reports take almost exactly a year to appear after an accident. Only after that report appears does any legal action begin. 

8 hours ago, Andalay said:

Absolutely right. My one involvement in such an investigation - the loss of the Barquentine Osprey during Typhoon Ellen in 1983, with 8 deaths, indicates a possible cover up to protect HK MarDep.

Except the the incident didn't occur in HK waters or involve a HK vessel so HK MarDep have nothing to cover up as not in their jurisdiction. 

Please don't say your were the lucky 9th on board.

9 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

9 hours ago, oceangeek said:

You misunderstand what "available" means... in legalese. That means information that has been reviewed, redacted, re-edited and re-gurgitated by a minimum of 4 levels of corporate counsel, prior to being sent back twice for more rounds of reviews, to ensure nothing imparts undue liability or could negatively influence any potential future litigation. Simple!

Ocean actually I think the exact opposite. 

As it is approaching 4 weeks of silence I will finally throw a penny into the pond of speculation.

There is no official investigation underway at the moment, hence the silence. 

The RO has insitigated an arm's length independent investigation. When complete they furnish the findings to the Peoples Republic of China's Maritime Safety Administration (MSA), possibly a courtesy copy to HK's MarDep as host stopover if MSA concur.

Irespective of the findings the fisherman's wife is driving a Volvo and her kids can go to University and not have to leave school and take dad's boat out.

There are some subtle changes to the SI's and maybe additions to RO supplied equipment.

The end.

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

RKJ is a pompous git so that makes sense.

Isn't that why they call them Pom's?

55 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

True but doesn't mean you wear that jacket everyday no matter the weather. 

Typical Royal Y.C. stuffy stuff, and a true anarchist hates it (them).

RKJ can be amusing though, when he drinks Guinness or a good Scotch Whisky... 

• Like 1

The more I read about Sir Robin, the more I'm looking forward to the retro race. Maybe it is because I think he's one of these:

http://www.cleverpig.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Be-a-Good-Sport-by-David-Dellenbaugh.pdf  (just found thanks to Svanen on the S-H thread)

And his handling of the Speirs case (thanks again Jack).  Or probably that he openly confesses to being a smoker, and races as a way to quit. 

Hmmm. Maybe I should rank Pascal higher than Vila . . . but wonder if Vila would bum me a fag.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, stief said:

The more I read about Sir Robin, the more I'm looking forward to the retro race. Maybe it is because I think he's one of these:

stief there is an interesting link here in the context of offshore participation numbers most places, particularly compared to France. In short the Retro Race when looking to secure all the things necessary to accommodate spectators and media etc at the Start, McIntyre the RO approached Portsmouth Council and other places. 

However they all wanted to charge him huge 6 figure sums to do this, noting the original race didn't have a start line or day so there really isn't a spiritual starting place other than Britain. 

He then approached Les Sables and now the race is starting there and they are paying him.

RKJ said the Brit Councils were boof heads. Bit hard to disagree.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

stief there is an interesting link here in the context of offshore participation numbers most places, particularly compared to France. In short the Retro Race when looking to secure all the things necessary to accommodate spectators and media etc at the Start, McIntyre the RO approached Portsmouth Council and other places. They all wanted to charge him huge 6 figure sums to do this, noting the original race didn't have a start line or day so there really isn't a spiritual starting place other than Britain. 

He then approached Les Sables and now the race is starting there and they are paying him.

RKJ said the Brit Councils were boof heads. Bit hard to disagree.

Good stuff. Some people wear the blazer, some think the blazer makes the man.

btw, if you happen across those links, would be appreciated . . .  couldn't find the RKJ and Sables link the other day. Nor anything new re the SIs changing.

Update just did what updates do.

The Paintwaggon continuing to keep space behind them. Conditions are pretty uniform so they all have definitely got their BS worked out with exception of Dee. 

If Teapot & Co keep this up then being first into the glue later in the week and first out might be the thing that delivers them up a spot on the podium...long way to go though and a few snakes still to get around courtesy of that cyclone down south altering patterns.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Update just did what updates do.

The Paintwaggon continuing to keep space behind them. Conditions are pretty uniform so they all have definitely got their BS worked out with exception of Dee. 

If Teapot & Co keep this up then being first into the glue later in the week and first out might be the thing that delivers them up a spot on the podium...long way to go though and a few snakes still to get around courtesy of that cyclone down south altering patterns.

For sure. Scallywag losing miles slowly perhaps they want to be last into the glue? Why do I get the feeling this time around first boat into the glue will be first boat out?

Interesting sked.

Trying to figure out why AKZO slowed down, and headed up ~20:00 UTC on trackback. Thought maybe they were positioning themselves ahead of the DFRT-MAPF line, or avoiding an obstruction. Can't see an obstruction when zoomed in, and that wouldn't explain the speed drop in TWS and boat speed.

Peel and  cloud?

5a8394150a089_ScreenShot2018-02-13at7_33_19PM.png.3a5850d979b13239ce8e448342848aec.png

Laughed: Mark Chisnell's blog is out, and he titled it

It’s not normally like this here...

Not normally like this here...

So much for the theory – as we saw in the first strategic review for Leg 6, the weather is far from normal and it looks like it’s going to stay like that all the way to the North Island of New Zealand. This leg is turning out to be more about managing the boat’s position relative to the movement of big weather systems, than it is about the transition from one climate zone to another. It’s more like racing west to east in the storm track than racing north to south through the trade winds and the Doldrums. Go figure.

https://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/news/11041_Leg-6-Strategic-Review-Part-2-Its-not-normally-like-this-here-.html

edit: on rereading for the third time, I think this is Mark Chisnell's best VOR piece yet .

• Like 2