Sign in to follow this  
Jackdaw

Holy shit, crazy Redondo beach rescue

33 minutes ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

That boat is tough as a motherfucker. Holy shit it was getting a pounding, I expected it to be fully wadded up. 

Not Breaking News :)

good boat to stay in till they tow it home (as it turned out)

might feel like the clapper in a bell holding on inside tho

10 hours ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

That boat is tough as a motherfucker. Holy shit it was getting a pounding, I expected it to be fully wadded up. 

look at that rudder

Then compare and contrast with Hollywood Bld.

The brick shithouse got violently  backed/dropped onto a stone jetty half a dozen times and lived to fight another day,

The other hit a sleeping fish and sank.

They just don't build them like they used to...

Anyone know if the rescue boats are prop or jet pump ?.....impressive boat handling and situational awareness dealing with the on the spot decision making....turned out unbelievably well....standing Ovation ! 

The most sickening video I have ever seen.  Aside from the rudder the boat went into a steel cage match with the Pacific Ocean, took a bunch of full body drops onto the rocks and lived.  Gotta love those 70's era boats that are built with way to much resin.  Try to do that in today's production boats

55 minutes ago, PirateDave said:

The most sickening video I have ever seen.  Aside from the rudder the boat went into a steel cage match with the Pacific Ocean, took a bunch of full body drops onto the rocks and lived.  Gotta love those 70's era boats that are built with way to much resin.  Try to do that in today's production boats

It's not the way too mcuh resin part--its just hte way too much part haha

5 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Wish BS were here to see this!

Don't say that three times or we'll all be sorry.

On 1/23/2018 at 10:20 AM, SailBlueH2O said:

Anyone know if the rescue boats are prop or jet pump ?.....impressive boat handling and situational awareness dealing with the on the spot decision making....turned out unbelievably well....standing Ovation ! 

Actually, I think the guy driving the rescue boat was relatively clueless. What took him so long to figure out that the wind was pushing him along the jetty as well as back into it? Why was he such a pussy about getting close enough to actually help?

He should have approached from the outward end of the jetty, jigging to keep bow into wind, and also come one heck of a lot closer to the action. Piddling around making multiple approaches and being afraid to get close are for spectators. Are you there to make a rescue or are you there to watch people get killed? FFS I bet there are spectators who would get closer!

If I had a sailing coach who handled a boat like that, I'd be out with him on a check ride later that same afternoon.

Issue of jet vs prop is a good question. Looking at the stream from the stern, it might be a jet. More useful for this kind of stuff IMHO but it does change the boat handling

FB- Doug

34 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Actually, I think the guy driving the rescue boat was relatively clueless. What took him so long to figure out that the wind was pushing him along the jetty as well as back into it? Why was he such a pussy about getting close enough to actually help?

He should have approached from the outward end of the jetty, jigging to keep bow into wind, and also come one heck of a lot closer to the action. Piddling around making multiple approaches and being afraid to get close are for spectators. Are you there to make a rescue or are you there to watch people get killed? FFS I bet there are spectators who would get closer!

If I had a sailing coach who handled a boat like that, I'd be out with him on a check ride later that same afternoon.

Issue of jet vs prop is a good question. Looking at the stream from the stern, it might be a jet. More useful for this kind of stuff IMHO but it does change the boat handling

FB- Doug

Agree...I would have set up behind the sailboat and waited for a quiet interval then moved up along side...backing down into that scene was not the best tactic...IMO

4 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Agree...I would have set up behind the sailboat and waited for a quiet interval then moved up along side...backing down into that scene was not the best tactic...IMO

I like backing downwind under power, so the bow doesn't swing downwind, but your idea could certainly work. Anything but circle around and try the same bad approach again....... and again.

FB- Doug