snoopy

Australian Yachting Championship 2019

Recommended Posts

The Australian Yachting Championship 2019 will be held at the Royal Yacht Club of Tasmania in early January. Will be a good event. More details to follow

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, snoopy said:

The Australian Yachting Championship 2019 will be held at the Royal Yacht Club of Tasmania in early January. Will be a good event. More details to follow

 

So will that be called the 'Tasmanian Australian Australian Sailing Yachting Championships'?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LB 15 said:

So will that be called the 'Tasmanian Australian Australian Sailing Yachting Championships'?

It could be (if the Tasmanian fish farming industry gets onboard as sponsors) the Tassal Australia Tasmanian Australian Sailing” event.

Easily abbreviated to “Ta Ta’s”.

That would be bodacious.

If only I could think of some suitable concept images for bodacious ta-ta’s...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And the sniping continues from the non-participants. Your non attendance does not invalidate this event.

Universal acclamation from all those skippers and crew who did attend as a well run and very enjoyable regatta. And a huge input from the squadrons of volunteers who made it all happen from the International ROs running excellent courses right through to the mark layers and boat drivers. It was a brilliant event, sorry you cunts couldn't make it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Last Post said:

And the sniping continues from the non-participants. Your non attendance does not invalidate this event.

Universal acclamation from all those skippers and crew who did attend as a well run and very enjoyable regatta. And a huge input from the squadrons of volunteers who made it all happen from the International ROs running excellent courses right through to the mark layers and boat drivers. It was a brilliant event, sorry you cunts couldn't make it. 

Marty McFly? How's the delorean?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Last Post said:

And the sniping continues from the non-participants. Your non attendance does not invalidate this event.

Universal acclamation from all those skippers and crew who did attend as a well run and very enjoyable regatta. And a huge input from the squadrons of volunteers who made it all happen from the International ROs running excellent courses right through to the mark layers and boat drivers. It was a brilliant event, sorry you cunts couldn't make it. 

True, non participation doesn't invalidate an event, but have only about 10 boats from three states does. How did you go? Are you now the foremost PHS boat in the country?

Bwahahahahahahahahaha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ockaroo said:

What's the dates? after the Hobart should see a good entry list. 

I think it is straight after the King of the Derwent (held at the DSS) so the 3rd or 4th of Jan is my guess. will confirm once known. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not a fan of IRC as it treats my boat with distain, but the racing looked pretty good from where I was both on and off the water.

Those of you who are prepared to write negative comments about a sailing regatta need to look no further than in a mirror to discover what is wrong with sailing as a sport.

As an owner, I am EXTREMELY aware of the costs involved in running a yacht, let alone transport it, and its gear, and its crew, etc., etc,. to various venues.

If you are prepared to snear at owners then fuck off, regardless of how good you think you are. I can always downsize and save myself the angst.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don

The sneer is not at the Regatta but the Australian Sailing Yachting Championships which of course the very large majority of boats where not participating in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course I notice that there was no Australian Sailing Yachting Championships for the AMS classes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, lydia said:

Of course I notice that there was no Australian Sailing Yachting Championships for the AMS classes.

No because it is raced against IRC... like most other top level events. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ockaroo said:

No because it is raced against IRC... like most other top level events. 

No, it's because AS hates AMS as they don't and can't own it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yet on my count there are more current AMS certificates in Australia than IRC ones!

Which is the point of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lydia said:

Yet on my count there are more current AMS certificates in Australia than IRC ones!

Which is the point of course.

Well get the three stooges that run AMS to stump up the cash and effort to organise their own event instead of ambushing somebody elses.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You mean like Sailing Australia stumped up the cash and ran this regatta.

You are missing the point!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, MelbourneA31 said:

Well get the three stooges that run AMS to stump up the cash and effort to organise their own event instead of ambushing somebody elses.

Did you compete in the AYC or SYC Regatta?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, MelbourneA31 said:

Well get the three stooges that run AMS to stump up the cash and effort to organise their own event instead of ambushing somebody elses.

They did.  They sponsored the AMS cup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it just NSW who does not use AMS?

I assume an AMS rating is cheaper than IRC.  Is AMS better or more fairer than IRC or just different?

At RMYS AMS races get a reasonable number of boats, whilst often there are only enough IRC boat in their division to award only 1st place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just because it is cheaper doen't make it better.  There is a reason the top boats race IRC, its fairer racing and does not have the same fiddle factor that AMS does.  And don't come back and say AMS does not have a behind the scenes fiddle factor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, trt131 said:

Just because it is cheaper doen't make it better.  There is a reason the top boats race IRC, its fairer racing and does not have the same fiddle factor that AMS does.  And don't come back and say AMS does not have a behind the scenes fiddle factor.

you've been beating that horse for a while now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, trt131 said:

Just because it is cheaper doen't make it better.  There is a reason the top boats race IRC, its fairer racing and does not have the same fiddle factor that AMS does.  

I have a rich Nigerian uncle and if you help him get 20 million out of the country he will give you half.

And I won't come in your mouth.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, trt131 said:

Just because it is cheaper doen't make it better.  There is a reason the top boats race IRC, its fairer racing and does not have the same fiddle factor that AMS does.  And don't come back and say AMS does not have a behind the scenes fiddle factor.

You can't be serious!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, greasy al said:

It could be (if the Tasmanian fish farming industry gets onboard as sponsors) the Tassal Australia Tasmanian Australian Sailing” event.

Easily abbreviated to “Ta Ta’s”.

That would be bodacious.

If only I could think of some suitable concept images for bodacious ta-ta’s...

Tassal already sponsor Derwent Sailing Squadron and DSS have the next Australian Sailing Australian Yachting Championships.

Done deal really!

Snoppy will be along shortly!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've posted previously on the SYC event...from my perspective it provided a great forum for some tight racing...the stuff I love. Of much greater concern to me was the observation that despite perfect sailing conditions across the 3 days there was barely another sail to be seen on Port Phillip Bay...nobody out enjoying their expensive toys....no-one entertaining guests and introducing them to the sport....apart from the racing, the bay was deserted.....now THAT'S the real issue!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Couta said:

I've posted previously on the SYC event...from my perspective it provided a great forum for some tight racing...the stuff I love. Of much greater concern to me was the observation that despite perfect sailing conditions across the 3 days there was barely another sail to be seen on Port Phillip Bay...nobody out enjoying their expensive toys....no-one entertaining guests and introducing them to the sport....apart from the racing, the bay was deserted.....now THAT'S the real issue!

May have something to do with the "gentleman's" agreement between clubs when regattas are staged.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gentlemen box on behind closed doors, not in front of fifty I phones!

must be a different sport in Victoria.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Couta said:

I've posted previously on the SYC event...from my perspective it provided a great forum for some tight racing...the stuff I love. Of much greater concern to me was the observation that despite perfect sailing conditions across the 3 days there was barely another sail to be seen on Port Phillip Bay...nobody out enjoying their expensive toys....no-one entertaining guests and introducing them to the sport....apart from the racing, the bay was deserted.....now THAT'S the real issue!

I must admit, my boat rarely goes out except for Wednesday twilights which we try to do every week. We will head out tomorrow to watch the start of the passage race to the FOS. Looked at a late entry for FOS but then realise its a cat 5. Only setup for cat 6 and when I read that I need to modify the washboard locking I gave up on the idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, hoppy said:

I must admit, my boat rarely goes out except for Wednesday twilights which we try to do every week. We will head out tomorrow to watch the start of the passage race to the FOS. Looked at a late entry for FOS but then realise its a cat 5. Only setup for cat 6 and when I read that I need to modify the washboard locking I gave up on the idea.

I think you could probably risk it! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations to Sean & the crew on The Philosopher for their victory in last weekend's Austrailian Australian IRC Australian Champs. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SCANAS said:

I think you could probably risk it! 

It does make you realise how much of a joke the safety categories are. Maybe it would be a good idea having the washboards locked in place if you are doing the race in a J24 or trailer sailor. I've never sailed with the washboard in place, even in 50 knots in the Aegean. In those conditions I do slide the hatch cover closed.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went out to watch the start of the passage race to the FOS. No wind at the start. The missus said she liked the look of Ichi Ban and asked how much ;) We also saw one of my $80k boats "The bookmaker" and she was not so impressed. The should have painted Team Hollywood yellow as it would make a good banana boat.

Looks like Team Hollywood won the race on IRC and Ichi Ban got line honours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2018 at 3:42 AM, Weyalan said:

Congratulations to Sean & the crew on The Philosopher for their victory in last weekend's Austrailian Australian IRC Australian Champs. 

Top job! they made the effort to go all the way over there to do two series in Melbourne. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2018 at 5:15 PM, lydia said:

Tassal already sponsor Derwent Sailing Squadron and DSS have the next Australian Sailing Australian Yachting Championships.

Done deal really!

Snoppy will be along shortly!

 

Wrong again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2018 at 10:58 AM, lydia said:

Of course I notice that there was no Australian Sailing Yachting Championships for the AMS classes.

There will be IRC, PHS and maybe ORCI. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The yachting Champs is timed post the Sydney 2 Hobart, Melbourne 2 Hobart and Launceston 2 Hobart. Hopefully, these races will help boost numbers for the event. It is acknowledged that sailing has changed but hopefully, it will work out.  If not it is still a good opportunity for more racing. I will be getting my boat remeasured and maybe a sail or two might make its way onto the boat. Should be fun.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as AMS v's IRC i am sure it has been done to death in other forums. I personally have both but like IRC because it is more consistent with the fleet I race in. AMS seems to have large variances for similar make/model yachts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, snoopy said:

The yachting Champs is timed post the Sydney 2 Hobart, Melbourne 2 Hobart and Launceston 2 Hobart. Hopefully, these races will help boost numbers for the event. It is acknowledged that sailing has changed but hopefully, it will work out.  If not it is still a good opportunity for more racing. I will be getting my boat remeasured and maybe a sail or two might make its way onto the boat. Should be fun.     

Perhaps the ASYC should always be held in Hobart in early Jan. It's probably the best time and venue to get the largest fleet of the best yachts competing. East coast yachts can either get their in the S2H or cruise down for the L2H and Vic and SA can do the M2H or cruise to the L2H.

YA should however get over themselves and add AMS

Would anyone in Aus get ORCi if it wasn't for the SI????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, hoppy said:

Perhaps the ASYC should always be held in Hobart in early Jan. It's probably the best time and venue to get the largest fleet of the best yachts competing. East coast yachts can either get their in the S2H or cruise down for the L2H and Vic and SA can do the M2H or cruise to the L2H.

YA should however get over themselves and add AMS

Hoppy 

you maybe right in holding the event in Hobart most years in order to increase numbers and there is a great lot of feeder races to get boats to Hobart. 

 

The thing is 2019 is the wrong year to hold the event in Hobart. The reason is next January all the youth classes will be holding the Class and Youth Nationals in Tasmania and Hobart at the same time as the yachting champs.  Think about it, not only to are we all going to be fighting for water space to run all the racing and park the all the RC and coach boats, wear are we all going to stay and find accommodation that we don’t meet to sell a kidney to pay for it ?

 

You say YA need to get over them selfs about AMS, they need to get someone with brains in the office when organising events and talk to each other in the office so events don’t clash. 

 

The yachting champs and the youths are all run by YA  you would think that they would run them in 2 different locations in order to get the best attendance for both events. 

 

Pulpit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pulpit said:

The yachting champs and the youths are all run by YA  you would think that they would run them in 2 different locations in order to get the best attendance for both events. 

As I am gradually learning, YA is not run by the brightest of people.

Perhaps the team who looks after big boat racing has their heads too far up the arses of the CYCA and the mega bucks boat owners that they are unable to communicate with the guys in the dinghy racing team who has their heads up the AOC's arses.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hoppy said:

As I am gradually learning, YA is not run by the brightest of people.

Perhaps the team who looks after big boat racing has their heads too far up the arses of the CYCA and the mega bucks boat owners that they are unable to communicate with the guys in the dinghy racing team who has their heads up the AOC's arses.

 

Hoppy 

 

The guys that look after the big boats are the same ones that do the dinghies and if you ever have a problem and YA are involved then you will learn that  Mr Standaway is just like tony jones on Q and A “thanks for that now let’s move on”. 

 

We have had major problems with the kids in one class and parents who are running the class only doing what’s best for their kids and stuff anyone else’s d the sport  and YA did stuff all and what makes it even sadder is one of the kids would end up being a Olympian for Australia in Sailing and now it looks like he’s giving up Sailing. 

 

YA is a bunch of fools at the best of times and if it was a private company it would be out of business if they don’t change their thinking. 

 

Pulpit 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dark Cloud said:

fixed

Thanks Dark Cloud

I stand corrected it is Standinyourway.

 

pulpit

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, hoppy said:

As I am gradually learning, YA is not run by the brightest of people.

Perhaps the team who looks after big boat racing has their heads too far up the arses of the CYCA and the mega bucks boat owners that they are unable to communicate with the guys in the dinghy racing team who has their heads up the AOC's arses.

How come when I say that I always get in trouble!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"The guys that look after the big boats are the same ones that do the dinghies and if you ever have a problem and YA are involved then you will learn that  Mr Standaway is just like tony jones on Q and A “thanks for that now let’s move on”."  

 

Standintheway used to post here a GRS btw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, pulpit said:

Hoppy 

you maybe right in holding the event in Hobart most years in order to increase numbers and there is a great lot of feeder races to get boats to Hobart. 

 

The thing is 2019 is the wrong year to hold the event in Hobart. The reason is next January all the youth classes will be holding the Class and Youth Nationals in Tasmania and Hobart at the same time as the yachting champs.  Think about it, not only to are we all going to be fighting for water space to run all the racing and park the all the RC and coach boats, wear are we all going to stay and find accommodation that we don’t meet to sell a kidney to pay for it ?

 

You say YA need to get over them selfs about AMS, they need to get someone with brains in the office when organising events and talk to each other in the office so events don’t clash. 

 

The yachting champs and the youths are all run by YA  you would think that they would run them in 2 different locations in order to get the best attendance for both events. 

 

Pulpit

Kind of limiting the fleet to blue water ocean racing boats if you do that. Inshore boats like Mr Rays Team Hollywood wouldn't want to sail across Bass Strait to compete and trucking that fucker from her home base in Sydney (or perhaps somewhere in Asia if he follows past form) to Hobart would cost Megashillings. Local boats would no doubt take advantage of the event in their home waters. As for IRC vs AMS? Until AMS forks out a share of fees in similar dollar amounts to what they cream off IRC ratings, dont hold your breath.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this a picture from a YA committee meeting?

 

eb2e81c765526414d16a2bf1b31d00db.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hoppy said:

Is this a picture from a YA committee meeting?

 

eb2e81c765526414d16a2bf1b31d00db.png

No, that's the Royal Geelong Y C Festival of Fail Race Committee from the AMS Cruising and Cruising with Spinnakers division. Not a single solitary fucking clue between the lot of them. Not one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Last Post said:

No, that's the Royal Geelong Y C Festival of Fail Race Committee from the AMS Cruising and Cruising with Spinnakers division. Not a single solitary fucking clue between the lot of them. Not one. 

Do tell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Last Post said:

No, that's the Royal Geelong Y C Festival of Fail Race Committee from the AMS Cruising and Cruising with Spinnakers division. Not a single solitary fucking clue between the lot of them. Not one. 

Yeah, I didn't understand the "cruising" divisions. AMS cruising should have just been part of the IRC / AMS race

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dark Cloud said:

Do tell

This for starters - https://www.topyacht.com.au/protests/protests_prnt.php?ev=107.107.107.1.808

Then there was the near 1.5 hour delay for the start of race 3 because they set far too long a course for race 2 in the prevailing conditions on Saturday.

Then the utterly stupid choice of a 24 mile course on Sunday morning, again in not a lot of wind which meant boats were not finishing until well into the afternoon. Most boats had to get back to Melbourne on Sunday night with work commitments on Monday so they either left early or if they hung around for the Preso, they had to spend a night on the Bay.

And they wonder why hardly anyone sticks around for the Preso??? 

Why not a 10-12 mile race for the lesser mortals on the final day with a showcase 1 hour event after that to highlight the Div 1 & 2 IRC Grand Prix boats where the punters and other sailors who might actually be interested can actually SEE them racing. God forbid anyone should actually get to watch Grand Prix sailing without travelling halfway back to Port Arlington to do it- fucking WAKE UP GEELONG,  Its only been 175 years, you must be fucking slow learners.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Disappointingly small irc fleets at Geebung...after the previous weekend at SYC. Several owners opted for Cruising with spinnakers (the largest fleet) instead. Suggestion was that with Ichiban and Ikon unbeatable in their respective divs, what was the point of racing for second. FOS is more of a "gathering of the tribe" than a serious regatta....people have given up any idea that the organisers have serious racing as the goal. Scheduling is crap. Courses are crap. Divisional splits are crap. Drink prices are crap. But still we come...to catch up and tell stories and hang out with mates on the course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We did the "ANA weekend"  in the early 80's. I have no recollection of the racing. We certainly didn't race but I don't know about the others.

My main recollection was that as we were new to yachting at the time and there was a strong SW on the Monday. Mum and the sisters were packed into the train home and one of dad's employees was tasked to skip work and help us surf home in out Columbia 27 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Couta said:

Disappointingly small irc fleets at Geebung...after the previous weekend at SYC. Several owners opted for Cruising with spinnakers (the largest fleet) instead. Suggestion was that with Ichiban and Ikon unbeatable in their respective divs, what was the point of racing for second. FOS is more of a "gathering of the tribe" than a serious regatta....people have given up any idea that the organisers have serious racing as the goal. Scheduling is crap. Courses are crap. Divisional splits are crap. Drink prices are crap. But still we come...to catch up and tell stories and hang out with mates on the course.

On a similar note, in Qld the most popular regular series which gets about 50 boats a race of which about 40 could have IRC certificates has abandoned the IRC division for the coming year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/01/2018 at 10:58 PM, hoppy said:

Yeah, I didn't understand the "cruising" divisions. AMS cruising should have just been part of the IRC / AMS race

You want to get rid of the second most popular division?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lydia said:

On a similar note, in Qld the most popular regular series which gets about 50 boats a race of which about 40 could have IRC certificates has abandoned the IRC division for the coming year.

That is because shit sailors like to be rewarded for doing shit. If you sail shit enough for long enough you apparently become good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always thought that if you wanted to sell something it was good if you listened to the customers!

Besides I see certificates are a fair bit cheaper in Ireland!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, lydia said:

I always thought that if you wanted to sell something it was good if you listened to the customers!

Besides I see certificates are a fair bit cheaper in Ireland!

I happen to have taken part in many a Manly Combined Clubs race.

I just have massive issues with performance handicap systems. They only work in a perfect world. You can't just put the numbers into a spreadsheet. 

And still rewards the weak. If I sail better than you I should beat you.

I would think a lot of people who prefer PH to IRC do so because they can compete better not because it gives a fairer rating for their boat. I'm fine with it being used for MCC as it encourages participation. As long as I can look at the IRC result alongside to judge how I did in the real world.

 

This thread is about the Yacthing Championships though. Performance Handicap has no place there.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kawalski said:

. Performance Handicap has no place there.

 

Image result for BAD phs trophies

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kawalski said:

 

I just have massive issues with performance handicap systems. They only work in a perfect world. You can't just put the numbers into a spreadsheet. 

 

This thread is about the Yacthing Championships though. Performance Handicap has no place there.

 

Excuse me but when will a rating system ever be completely fair. 

 

Thats why those with the skills sail one design.

The rest piss and moan about the ratings/handicaps.

Just enjoy your sailing. You know how good you are. No one else gives a Toss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/29/2018 at 11:31 PM, Last Post said:

This for starters - https://www.topyacht.com.au/protests/protests_prnt.php?ev=107.107.107.1.808

Then there was the near 1.5 hour delay for the start of race 3 because they set far too long a course for race 2 in the prevailing conditions on Saturday.

Then the utterly stupid choice of a 24 mile course on Sunday morning, again in not a lot of wind which meant boats were not finishing until well into the afternoon. Most boats had to get back to Melbourne on Sunday night with work commitments on Monday so they either left early or if they hung around for the Preso, they had to spend a night on the Bay.

And they wonder why hardly anyone sticks around for the Preso??? 

Why not a 10-12 mile race for the lesser mortals on the final day with a showcase 1 hour event after that to highlight the Div 1 & 2 IRC Grand Prix boats where the punters and other sailors who might actually be interested can actually SEE them racing. God forbid anyone should actually get to watch Grand Prix sailing without travelling halfway back to Port Arlington to do it- fucking WAKE UP GEELONG,  Its only been 175 years, you must be fucking slow learners.

Yep I will agree about the racing why did we start at midday for a race up the Flipping channel on sat then finish at 1530 to hang around till 1730 for another race and  finish at 2100 by the time you pack up and get the bar it was after 2000 hrs , then sunday starts at 11.00 finish towards 1500 hrs then have a slog home to Melbourne arriving after 2100 hrs.

Why do they set a course up the channel thats not fair racing .

Sandringham was great racing  a couple of short races each day ,fair courses.

I will not be at Geelong next year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, spiggie said:

Yep I will agree about the racing why did we start at midday for a race up the Flipping channel on sat then finish at 1530 to hang around till 1730 for another race and  finish at 2100 by the time you pack up and get the bar it was after 2000 hrs , then sunday starts at 11.00 finish towards 1500 hrs then have a slog home to Melbourne arriving after 2100 hrs.

Why do they set a course up the channel thats not fair racing .

Sandringham was great racing  a couple of short races each day ,fair courses.

I will not be at Geelong next year. 

I might go

In the non-spinnaker div

And just do the passage race

And stay on the boat

If someone stumps up the $350 fee to do it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, overlay said:

Excuse me but when will a rating system ever be completely fair. 

 

Thats why those with the skills sail one design.

The rest piss and moan about the ratings/handicaps.

Just enjoy your sailing. You know how good you are. No one else gives a Toss.

In an ideal world sure we would all sail one design. But how many 1 design yacht fleets are there in Oz? 4 or 5?

I'm not saying any rating system is fair. They are all going to reward some boats and punish some others. IRC is what we have.  Personally I'm happy enough with it. Majority of the time the best sailed boat will win.

 

What I don't understand is the lack of interest in Oz of regattas like Cowes Week, Cork Week, etc. 4-5 day regattas 2 or 3 races a day, different courses. Sail in the same division, sign up for whatever handicap works for you, IRC, AMS, ORC, PHS.

Come in from sailing, go to the beer tent for the evening, do it all again the next day.

Cork week used to get 500+ boats. Best week of the year. 

How many boats were at Australian Yachting's Australian Yachting Championships of Australia? Same for Queensland champs / Sail Paradise?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One design is the answer. If you still want to race a caravan, join the Sydney 38 class. Good class control that restricts the number of sails purchased, pro’s and insist on grade one or owner drivers. Plus the boats are cheap.
You might even come up with the odd win in IRC when racing mixed fleet.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick question 

Do any of the other states have keelboat associations? (IRC association, AMS association, Offshore association?)

One design falls into the same trap as keelboat sailing, the handicap is just worked out a little differently, not on the score sheet as a multiplier on time but in other ways (sails, Pros, boat models/makes, money and any other way you can get an advantage).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lydia wants to start one here in the deep north. It will be know as the 'Coilition of Unaffiliated to the National Taliban Sailors' or C.U.N.T.S. for short.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

What I don't understand is the lack of interest in Oz of regattas like Cowes Week, Cork Week, etc. 4-5 day regattas 2 or 3 races a day, different courses. Sail in the same division, sign up for whatever handicap works for you, IRC, AMS, ORC, PHS.

Come in from sailing, go to the beer tent for the evening, do it all again the next day.

Cork week used to get 500+ boats. Best week of the year. 

How many boats were at Australian Yachting's Australian Yachting Championships of Australia? Same for Queensland champs / Sail Paradise?

I think the answer is distance.

By sea, Melbourne to Sydney 582 nm (nautical miles), Hobart to Sydney 638 nm, Adelaide to Sydney 973 nm, Perth to Sydney 2,140 nm, and Brisbane to Sydney only 515 nm.

Then of course there is the Great Australian Bight, Investigator Straight, Bass Straight, and the West Tasman Sea to deal with.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Don said:

I think the answer is distance.

By sea, Melbourne to Sydney 582 nm (nautical miles), Hobart to Sydney 638 nm, Adelaide to Sydney 973 nm, Perth to Sydney 2,140 nm, and Brisbane to Sydney only 515 nm.

Then of course there is the Great Australian Bight, Investigator Straight, Bass Straight, and the West Tasman Sea to deal with.

 

 

That I can understand. But people will sail their boats from all over to Sydney every year for the Hobart.

Obviously the Hobart is the Hobart and boats will put the extra effort in. But what about the following...

Pittwater - Paradise

Sydney - Goldcoast

Brisbane - Keppel

Brisbane - Gladstone

 

All of those races involve a pretty substantial delivery trip. But they all get a pretty respectable turnout. And they race IRC, and there are a lot more hoops to jump through with Cat regs etc.

Why the love for Offshore over Inshore?

The Yachting Champs were actually scheduled pretty well to get as many inter state boats as possible. Short delivery post S2H to Melbourne. Do the event, continue delivery. The only other time that works better is pre S2H but December is already pretty hectic with BWPS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kawalski said:

In an ideal world sure we would all sail one design. But how many 1 design yacht fleets are there in Oz? 4 or 5?

I'm not saying any rating system is fair. They are all going to reward some boats and punish some others. IRC is what we have.  Personally I'm happy enough with it. Majority of the time the best sailed boat will win.

 

What I don't understand is the lack of interest in Oz of regattas like Cowes Week, Cork Week, etc. 4-5 day regattas 2 or 3 races a day, different courses. Sail in the same division, sign up for whatever handicap works for you, IRC, AMS, ORC, PHS.

Come in from sailing, go to the beer tent for the evening, do it all again the next day.

Cork week used to get 500+ boats. Best week of the year. 

How many boats were at Australian Yachting's Australian Yachting Championships of Australia? Same for Queensland champs / Sail Paradise?

 

 

Kawaiski, 

 

We only have about 4-5 OD fleets that sail in Australia and our numbers are not that big  in each fleets. OD fleets racing is great to sail in, we just don't have the numbers in Australia. We then have the problem of distance between each fleets. 

 

In the resent Etchell Australian Nationals in Perth they had 32 boat enteried and out of that fleet only 12-15 boats traveled 2000 Km from the next closed fleet to 4000 Kms + for most of the boats that traveled. The Etchells you can put on a trailer and drive the boats to the regatta's at  the cost of fuel. If I was to send a Sydney 38 to Perth I have 2 options. Sail it and take 4 weeks each way or truck it at $20k + each way. Distance is our big killer in Australia. 

 

It's not a lack of interest or enthusiasm that's stopping our fleets and regatta sizes it's distances.

 

We do have 4-5 day regatta's, like Cowes and Cork Weeks each year at Hamiton Island and Airlie Beach Race Weeks in North Queensland and we do get good numbers in both Keelboat and Trailer Yacht Fleets. 

 

As I say, Distance is our Killer in Australia and that stops our fleets sizes being bigger.  Just think it's 400 miles + between Sydney  Fleets and Brisbane or Melbourne offshore fleets as the crow flies with not that many fleets in between.

 

I think that we are doing  well to get the numbers that we do to our regatta's. If you have a look at a 400 mile radius from Cowes or Cork Week Regatta and then have a look at the numbers of Fleets that they are getting in both OD and mixed fleets. Maybe they should be doing better and getting better number Don't you Think ?

 

Pulpit 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, pulpit said:

 

Kawaiski, 

 

We only have about 4-5 OD fleets that sail in Australia and our numbers are not that big  in each fleets. OD fleets racing is great to sail in, we just don't have the numbers in Australia. We then have the problem of distance between each fleets. 

 

In the resent Etchell Australian Nationals in Perth they had 32 boat enteried and out of that fleet only 12-15 boats traveled 2000 Km from the next closed fleet to 4000 Kms + for most of the boats that traveled. The Etchells you can put on a trailer and drive the boats to the regatta's at  the cost of fuel. If I was to send a Sydney 38 to Perth I have 2 options. Sail it and take 4 weeks each way or truck it at $20k + each way. Distance is our big killer in Australia. 

 

It's not a lack of interest or enthusiasm that's stopping our fleets and regatta sizes it's distances.

 

We do have 4-5 day regatta's, like Cowes and Cork Weeks each year at Hamiton Island and Airlie Beach Race Weeks in North Queensland and we do get good numbers in both Keelboat and Trailer Yacht Fleets. 

 

As I say, Distance is our Killer in Australia and that stops our fleets sizes being bigger.  Just think it's 400 miles + between Sydney  Fleets and Brisbane or Melbourne offshore fleets as the crow flies with not that many fleets in between.

 

I think that we are doing  well to get the numbers that we do to our regatta's. If you have a look at a 400 mile radius from Cowes or Cork Week Regatta and then have a look at the numbers of Fleets that they are getting in both OD and mixed fleets. Maybe they should be doing better and getting better number Don't you Think ?

 

Pulpit 

 

I understand all these points. From living here for the last few years I have come to terms with the fact that Australia is fucking massive. 

My reply to Don covers some of your points also.

I think I've probably answered my own question with respect to Offshore sailing is preferred over inshore.

While Ireland is "slightly" smaller than Australia Irish Sailing tries to coordinate distance races and regattas to make it easier on delivery time by having the IRC nationals either before or after an offshore race. Which I guess AY did with the champs in Melbourne. Just very few boats decided to play ball.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, kawalski said:

What I don't understand is the lack of interest in Oz of regattas like Cowes Week, Cork Week, etc. 4-5 day regattas 2 or 3 races a day, different courses. Sail in the same division, sign up for whatever handicap works for you, IRC, AMS, ORC, PHS.

Come in from sailing, go to the beer tent for the evening, do it all again the next day.

Cork week used to get 500+ boats. Best week of the year. 

 

Hamilton Island race week - 204 entrants.

Airlie Beach race week - 100 entrants.

Cowes and Cork week are both great, but that's about it. For Cowes week most of the fleet live with in a few hours sail from the regatta. Even Cork isn't that far from the Solent. Our fleets are spread around this vast brown land...

aus-eu.jpg

And that is why their can never be real 'Australian Australian sailing yachting Australian Championship".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bingo. +1

It is not just the distances one way, there is the return trip as well. Plus you have to get there a week early in case you damage something on the way, plus swap and store the delivery gear for the racing gear and back again and find crews to help out. Not many can spare 2 months off, especially with family commitments etc.

i have done Cork Week a couple of times and helped deliver the yachts as well. Once from North Wales and once back to Cowes.

I have also done full round trips from Adelaide for  S2H,  the two delivery trips to Sydney were much worse than the race itself....  A different scale altogether, never mind the Western Australians.. And you pass a lot more yachts and ports along the way in Europe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2018 at 9:06 PM, Dark Cloud said:

I might go

In the non-spinnaker div

And just do the passage race

And stay on the boat

If someone stumps up the $350 fee to do it

$350 to just do the Passage Race is a bit steep - about $10 a mile. I would go back to doing deliveries for that rate!

I heard a whisper from a source close to the action at FoS that RGYC members were allowed to do the Passage Race this year at a substantially lower cost. Apparently that decision was preceded by a lot of grumbling from their members about costs, loss of member rights and reduced facilities etc during the event. Squeaky wheel syndrome??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Hamilton Island race week - 204 entrants.

Airlie Beach race week - 100 entrants.

Cowes and Cork week are both great, but that's about it. For Cowes week most of the fleet live with in a few hours sail from the regatta. Even Cork isn't that far from the Solent. Our fleets are spread around this vast brown land...

aus-eu.jpg

And that is why their can never be real 'Australian Australian sailing yachting Australian Championship".

Ed Zachary. Nat champs in oz are a complete fucking wank - it always comprises mostly state boats for this very reason.  State champs are the only thing that has any credibility - it doesn't mean that a NSW or QLD etc boat can't win a states in another state.

I've said state too much ^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2018 at 5:16 AM, LB 15 said:

Hamilton Island race week - 204 entrants.

Airlie Beach race week - 100 entrants.

Cowes and Cork week are both great, but that's about it. For Cowes week most of the fleet live with in a few hours sail from the regatta. Even Cork isn't that far from the Solent. Our fleets are spread around this vast brown land...

aus-eu.jpg

And that is why their can never be real 'Australian Australian sailing yachting Australian Championship".

Crown series (Hobart, BYC), more than 100 keelboats, more than 100 off-the-beach boats...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎29‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 8:47 PM, lydia said:

"The guys that look after the big boats are the same ones that do the dinghies and if you ever have a problem and YA are involved then you will learn that  Mr Standaway is just like tony jones on Q and A “thanks for that now let’s move on”."  

 

Standintheway used to post here a GRS btw

Stanaway "appointed" on Wednesday as the Australian Sailing  - Tasmanian Regional Manager. Applications for the job closed on the Friday - after the appointment announcement. Word is that none of the applicants were interviewed. WTF - Australian Sailing aren't too flash at open and transparent due process.

Looks like the Sydney way is about to be foisted on Tassie - that'll go down well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2018 at 11:03 AM, Waterfront said:

Stanaway "appointed" on Wednesday as the Australian Sailing  - Tasmanian Regional Manager. Applications for the job closed on the Friday - after the appointment announcement. Word is that none of the applicants were interviewed. WTF - Australian Sailing aren't too flash at open and transparent due process.

Looks like the Sydney way is about to be foisted on Tassie - that'll go down well.

Did he jump or was he pushed? Looks more like a banishment than an appointment. Transported to Van Diemens land for the term of his natural life. Or at least until they send him back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not if we take him to the West coast and leave him in the Bathurst Channel!

I wonder how much our club fees will now increase due to the increase in the SA impost given Tasmania has banding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites