• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Ajax

Eight Bells- Randy Browning

Dang. I'm sure all of us have glanced at this enormous database at one time or another.

Stuart Randall “Randy” Browning, age 66, of Norwalk, CT, passed away peacefully at home on Thursday, January 18, 2018 after a courageous struggle with ALS.
The founder and creator of SAILBOATDATA.COM, Randy was a master sailor who competed nationally and was well known in the Long Island Sound sailboat racing community. Randy’s love of sailing was contagious and he welcomed those with all levels of experience to sail with him and his fellow Voidoids upon their Judel/Vrolijk designed sloop Voidoid V. As a crew mate said, he was happiest when sailing, and happiest sailing when the main was well-trimmed. Generous, kind, witty, and loved by friends and family, Randy enjoyed lively discussions that allowed him to share his deep knowledge of boating, music, history, literature and politics. He will be sorely missed by all who knew him. He is survived by his dear partner Elizabeth Hiden, mother Helen Ann Browning, sister Amy Browning Emmert, brother Peter Browning, niece Hannah Browning Emmert, nephew Matthew Browning and many cousins. In lieu of flowers, please consider a donation in Randy’s honor to: The ALS Association Connecticut Chapter at webct.alsa.org or The ALS Association Connecticut Chapter, 4 Oxford Road - Unit E4 - Milford, CT 06460 or by contributing to the Sea Scouts at http://norwalkship6.org/Ship6Support.html. A celebration of Randy’s life will take place this summer. Please watch for the date to be posted on Sailboatdata.com and the Sailboatdata.com Facebook page.

• Like 2

Great source of information for me over the past couple of decades.

I’ll have one for him tonight

Was Randy a collegiate dinghy racer at B.U.?     I coached the mens' team early '70s while in grad school there, and liked Randy a lot, solid sailor, low-key, offbeat sense of humor.

Sorry to hear, condolences to his family and friends.

Fair winds Randy and condolences to his family and friends.  

Sailboat data is a useful resource that will hopefully continue in some way after his passing.  It would be a shame if it went away. 

Wait, wait, wait. Is this the same Randy that was with Horizon Sails? If so, he was like an older brother to me when I came out from the Philippines. He made sure I got both feet planted and raced with him a lot on his Lightning out of Cedar Point. He was a great human being and I am glad that I got to know him. 

My deepest Condolences to his family. 

Condolences to his family, and being the boat nut that I am, I have used his database a lot.  Hopefully it will continue in some form.

I've been availing myself of Rand's work at Sailboatdata.com for years.  I've swapped emails and messages with Randy quite a number of times, to ask questions or answer others, or to add additional info on entries there.  Randy was always quick to get back to me and always helpful and considered in his responses, a true gentleman.

My condolences both to his family and to the many friends he leaves behind.  Fair winds and following seas Randy.

Same Randy from Horizon. I worked with him there too. North also prior to working for Barton. He was just a great guy! Period.