Sign in to follow this  
mikewof

Capetown heads to Day Zero

First major global city to run out of water. 

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-01134-x

Capetown officially runs out of water on April 21, 2008 ... Zero Day. They're already down to 23 gallons per person per day, it drops to 13 gallons per person next month. When Zero Day arrives, the taps will be shut off except to hospitals and such, then Capetown residents will need to line up at water distribution points to get 7-some gallons per day. Their survival ration of water can be reduced to as low as one or two gallons per person.

They're looking into wastewater recycling and aquifers.

I wondered about the part "First thing moving port-a-johns out side the hi rises, no indoor pluming at 7 gal. per person daily.".

10 years ago is Breaking News ???

anything left to save ............... no ?

So I didn't take the time to read the above article or the handful of other articles I've seen in my newsfeed.  I haven't heard of any plans to bring in mobile desalination units (like the US military use) to make fresh water.  They could also be funding a desal plant very near the city.  My geography skills aren't what they used to be but if I remember, there is this ocean thing right nearby they could draw water from to feed the desalination/purification units.  Its not like drought and running out of freshwater come out of nowhere...

The issue is - I think - that they have run out of 'free' water.  They can have all the water they want through desalination:  it will just be very, very expensive water.  

Maybe someone should ask their water utilities board (or whoever is responsible for water delivery) why they have never considered alternate means of supply of water.  And why they haven't priced their water to reflect its cost.  

The affect on the city will be stark.   Why chose to live on Dune?   

20 hours ago, mikewof said:

First major global city to run out of water. 

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-01134-x

Capetown officially runs out of water on April 21, 2008 ... Zero Day. They're already down to 23 gallons per person per day, it drops to 13 gallons per person next month. When Zero Day arrives, the taps will be shut off except to hospitals and such, then Capetown residents will need to line up at water distribution points to get 7-some gallons per day. Their survival ration of water can be reduced to as low as one or two gallons per person.

They're looking into wastewater recycling and aquifers.

The article seems to be all about the University and research.......nevermind 4 million residents dehydrating....

13 hours ago, DRIFTW00D said:

I wondered about the part "First thing moving port-a-johns out side the hi rises, no indoor pluming at 7 gal. per person daily.".

The place will be a shithole.....

47 minutes ago, warbird said:

The article seems to be all about the University and research.......nevermind 4 million residents dehydrating....

It's an academic type journal, horses, courses.

Here's another from the LA Times, they had to move the date forward again, http://www.latimes.com/world/africa/la-fg-south-africa-water-crisis-20180119-story.html

But as bad as things are in Capetown, they're worse in Madagascar, you want to know about "people dehydrating", I hope you have the stomach for it ...

http://www.latimes.com/world/africa/la-fg-madagascar-drought-thirst-2017-story.html