freewheelin

What events would you like to see your yacht club put on?

I recently became the "entertainment" chair for my yacht club. Some members have expressed interest in adding some more interesting events. Most of the social scene involves some kind of holiday and meal in the club house. I am looking for some ideas for more unique or interesting events/rendezvous/fun races, and am especially keen on some being out on the water.

Any ideas of things you would like to see your own YC put on (or interesting ones they already do)?

A party just for crew of the boat owners.  Start if off with a 1/2 hour seminar on buying a boat - 10 minutes of a broker explaining why it is good to engage one, 10 minutes of a marine surveyor explaining why it is good to hire one to check your boat over, 10 minutes of a marine insurance agent describing the ins and outs.  Get more crew buying boats, get more boats on the water.  Then let the crew mingle and party!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, freewheelin said:

I am looking for some ideas for more unique or interesting events/rendezvous/fun races, and am especially keen on some being out on the water.

Sail-n-Steak team racing for novices. Lots of fun!

19 minutes ago, Glenn McCarthy said:

10 minutes of a broker explaining why it is good to engage one

HAHAHAHAHA! Hilarious.

37 minutes ago, Svanen said:

10 minutes of a broker explaining why it is good to engage one

HAHAHAHAHA! Hilarious.

For a first time buyer, vs. a know it all like you, it probably is a good idea.

It depends on the club and resources, but most clubs have a membership that skews ancient, and the young people are 50. 

Medicare bingo might attract a crowd.

hearing aid night.

hip replacement and you - learn how to bust a move with your new carbon fiber hip.

• Like 1

Just about every club has an awards night or winners dinner where the pickle dishes are handed out. My club used to have a "losers' dinner. " All very tongue in cheek.  Awards to people who did really stupid things in the previous year.  People have to be willing to be laughed at and it has to be done in a spirit of fun and not revenge or vindictiveness.

one year we killed the batteries on my boat and had to be towed in by a competitor.  My "award" was a pair of candles, one red, one green.

23 minutes ago, sunseeker said:

It depends on the club and resources, but most clubs have a membership that skews ancient, and the young people are 50. 

hearing aid night.

hip replacement and you - learn how to bust a move with your new carbon fiber hip.

For the "younger" crowd, AARP sign up night.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Glenn McCarthy said:

A party just for crew of the boat owners.  Start if off with a 1/2 hour seminar on buying a boat - 10 minutes of a broker explaining why it is good to engage one, 10 minutes of a marine surveyor explaining why it is good to hire one to check your boat over, 10 minutes of a marine insurance agent describing the ins and outs.  Get more crew buying boats, get more boats on the water.  Then let the crew mingle and party!

Then.... what are you going to do for a crew next season?

Just saying.....

;)

1 minute ago, nacradriver said:

Then.... what are you going to do for a crew?

Some clubs are adding "Crew Finders" to their websites. It's a way to bring new blood in, and do a real service for the membership. People check off if they want to race, cruise, etc. To promote it they offer it at boat shows, or other public events.  We're looking at doing a booth at a few street fairs this year.

6 minutes ago, Glenn McCarthy said:

Some clubs are adding "Crew Finders" to their websites. It's a way to bring new blood in, and do a real service for the membership. People check off if they want to race, cruise, etc. To promote it they offer it at boat shows, or other public events.  We're looking at doing a booth at a few street fairs this year.

Let’s go to the county fair and get the carny’s to come crew. The’ll do just about anything for a free meal. Some of them even have most of their teeth.

Whatever happened to nude sailing? I thought that was great when I was 30.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, freewheelin said:

I recently became the "entertainment" chair for my yacht club. Some members have expressed interest in adding some more interesting events. Most of the social scene involves some kind of holiday and meal in the club house. I am looking for some ideas for more unique or interesting events/rendezvous/fun races, and am especially keen on some being out on the water.

Any ideas of things you would like to see your own YC put on (or interesting ones they already do)?

Waitte.... What...... mackeng a mealle oute the hotte criew..... what?

I get more promotion about the next music concert at the Lota fishing and Fighting Club than I do about sailing, but then again it is not a sailing club anymore!

This morning was a "special exclusive pre sale ticket offer" double ticket and dining.

• Like 1

We are doing this next weekend - I'll let you know how it goes:

large.openhouse.png.bb69b07db21682d99b0a

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sunseeker said:

hearing aid night.

4 hours ago, jerseyguy said:

For the "younger" crowd, AARP sign up night.

Rookie stuff!

All those things (except Medicare) managed by private enterprise are a walk in the park compared to tilting against government bureaucracies!

How about classes on enrolling for Medicare and supplemental insurance. Trying to get a straight story out of those clowns is like walking up to a random patient in an insane asylum and asking them to "be reasonable." Not only are the Medicare people and the private supplement people not talking with each other, their requirements are frequently in conflict. I always thought that "Catch 22" was a joke until I dragged myself through that miasma.

Get off my lawn!

• Like 1

How about a class on young peoples' lingo?

For example, my granddaughter is always telling me she's "horny AF." What is that supposed to mean?

Once Every winter our club invites all volunteers who doneted part of their time in the year before to a big dinner (free, /w  booze!!!)... All the people laying marks, doing RC on the wednesdaynighters, driving RIBS, towing the optis in and out on calm days etc... 

4 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

How about a class on young peoples' lingo?

For example, my granddaughter is always telling me she's "horny AF." What is that supposed to mean?

You might be on to something here. Maybe there ought to be a Sugarbaby.com sign up night. And for the ladies (and gay members, because NTTAWWT), BrazilianPoolboys.com

7 hours ago, dash34 said:

You might get some interest if they’re not all in a field watching a true maestro at work...

BCD3F0C9-702B-414D-A00C-C5E09755C629.jpeg

My last position was Rear Commo, so I was in charge of Social, House & Grounds and Waterfront.

In the winter, I did organize the usual holiday meals...including Valentine's Day dinner, which seemed popular but one thing that members really seemed to enjoy was "Movie Night" on Saturday nights.  We tried to select good movies related to all things maritime with snacks and drinks.

During the days, I tried to schedule educational seminars.  Racing rules, Race committee orientation, Digital Selective Calling, Basic diesel mechanics, that sort of thing.  I think Glenn had a lot of good suggestions.  I admit that my offerings were not that imaginative, but I'm really new at this sort of thing.

• Like 1

Events that test a navigators skill are nice..predicted log race.

events that sail you to mark 1......anchor, row ashore, pickup a bottle of champagne...restart...sail to finish line ...are fun 

• Downvote 1

18 hours ago, Glenn McCarthy said:

Thanks, I like this idea.

12 hours ago, dash34 said:

Pretty good idea. Let us know how it works out. Anything to get fresh blood through the club can't be a bad idea

2 hours ago, slug zitski said:

Events that test a navigators skill are nice..predicted log race.

events that sail you to mark 1......anchor, row ashore, pickup a bottle of champagne...restart...sail to finish line ...are fun 

This was the kind of stuff I was hoping to get. I was thinking some sort of low point to point race to a raft up would be great. Any experience with these and the logistics?

16 hours ago, sunseeker said:

hearing aid night.

This is the problem though, the clubs are all aging. Which means the older folks are wanting to do less and less on the water partying. But then complain about how young people aren't joining. I'm on the younger side (mid 30s) and there isn't much a yacht club offers me outside of racing. For those who don't race, it's basically nothing. But I hear about the things that were happening 20,30,40 years ago and it sounds cool (which means the generation above them planning and footing the bill got it). $40 worth of beer in a dinghy at a raft up party or beach rendezvous sounds fucking awesome. $40 for a Valentines Day dinner at the Yacht club sounds like where dreams go to die.

For any of the clubs looking for more young people, if you party they will come...

• Like 2

Boats in the water - we do a progressive dock party.  People with boats sign up to be hosts and setup a table at their boat with munchies.  People without boats sign up and become the travelling bar.  Those without boats collect at the dock office and are assigned numbers between 1 and the total number of groups.  Then are dispatched to the respective boat number where the owner hosts, shows the group their boat and mingle for 20 minutes with the drinks and apps.  An air horn is sounded at 20 minutes.  People are given 5 minutes to go to the next boat number, and bring the portable bar.  Repeat until the desired number of boats are visited.

In the winter with boats on the hard - we have done an annual bowling party, seminars, comedy night at a club, etc....

We hold a "pub crawl" like WHK's but put the drinks on the boats and don't give out numbers.  People explore and owners show off their boats on their own.   It is a very popular event.  Having things on the boats helped keep the docks from sinking under the partygoers' feet.  

You could also hold match races.   Use the same start procedure... but two boat  per team. 

Use the same rules as Roman Gladiators...name the race Ben Hur 

At five minutes...anything goes...chains, spikes,  catapults , depth charges, hand to hand combat...

IMG_7998.JPG

3 hours ago, slug zitski said:

.anything goes...chains, spikes,  catapults , depth charges, hand to hand combat...

Unless they change the design, this may be similar to the next America's cup.

very popular in europe is nostalgia races.   boats 1974 and older.     this could bring out the geezers  who really find current day  phrf   gatherings  no fun whatsoever.     a pursuit start  with rating based on waterline and displacement solely.      prize being to be center of raft up party ala  Sunday  Lake Boca  style (google it) .     we have a lot of old  cca  and ior boats " whose geezer owners would like to race in an  " after you alphonse format"    with their gand kids etc.     racing in a phrf  etc format where the predominant attitude is  " fuck you "  is not conducive to getting these guys/ girls out on the course.     Hell i can remember a race  where i had  easter seal  people in wheel chairs on my foredeck  for a fun race and I was luffed by an 8 meter.    you know who you are.      the geezers have the money and they could therefore afford  a high quality gathering .     and their boats are prettier.

Topless waitresses in the bar , install a stopper pole and weekly stripper shows. Nothing beats a few ping ping balls hitting the past commodores photographs. 

• Like 2

That.... and lingerie evenings

Long distance / passage / endurance style dinghy races. 

On 1/27/2018 at 5:14 PM, WHK said:

Boats in the water - we do a progressive dock party.  People with boats sign up to be hosts and setup a table at their boat with munchies.  People without boats sign up and become the travelling bar.  Those without boats collect at the dock office and are assigned numbers between 1 and the total number of groups.  Then are dispatched to the respective boat number where the owner hosts, shows the group their boat and mingle for 20 minutes with the drinks and apps.  An air horn is sounded at 20 minutes.  People are given 5 minutes to go to the next boat number, and bring the portable bar.  Repeat until the desired number of boats are visited.

In the winter with boats on the hard - we have done an annual bowling party, seminars, comedy night at a club, etc....

I like the progressive idea. That sounds pretty cool. Our challenge would be that we use mooring balls - the dock is only big enough for the launches. It would mean a lot of deliveries for the launch drives, unless those with dinghies offered in.

Two things the dinghy and small keelboat one design fleets I've sailed with have done. They're both tinged with the goals of 1) growing the class and 2) growing the number of people racing in the class but they are social.

- Crew school graduation party. Every winter we had a "learn to sail/crew" crew school, an invitation to those without boats to come meet people with boats and learn to be helpful on them. But the good part was the graduation party, with food and a keg sponsored by the owners, and a good name tagging system so that crew and owners could identify the kinds of things they were interested in. One year a very excellent crew class sponsored a second keg.

- Daysailer picnic sail. Aimed at bringing new owners into the family in a non-racing setting. Sail somewhere for a picnic with as much ice and booze as your lil boats can carry. For small keelboat daysailers the landing is a bit tricky, you need either a chase boat or a willingness to swim in or a destination with a pier (or I guess you could tow a small launch but that's silly for a H12.5). This was often used in a "oh, you just bought so-and-so's old boat, it would be great to see you sail with us" "i'm intimidated by racing" "sure sure, I meant the picnic cruise we'll see you there yet" type conversation.

Good Band, plenty of booze, maybe a poker table in the back, some good drunk food, and encourage members to invite their friends as guests.  If you throw a good party, and get enough guests in the room, you'll get some members.  Just make it energetic.

Need a theme?  Oktoberfest with steins and a few picnic tables to dance on.  Country night: rent a mechanical bull, serve up some moonshine, tell people to wear jeans.

17 hours ago, cremedelameme said:

Two things the dinghy and small keelboat one design fleets I've sailed with have done. They're both tinged with the goals of 1) growing the class and 2) growing the number of people racing in the class but they are social.

- Crew school graduation party. Every winter we had a "learn to sail/crew" crew school, an invitation to those without boats to come meet people with boats and learn to be helpful on them. But the good part was the graduation party, with food and a keg sponsored by the owners, and a good name tagging system so that crew and owners could identify the kinds of things they were interested in. One year a very excellent crew class sponsored a second keg.

- Daysailer picnic sail. Aimed at bringing new owners into the family in a non-racing setting. Sail somewhere for a picnic with as much ice and booze as your lil boats can carry. For small keelboat daysailers the landing is a bit tricky, you need either a chase boat or a willingness to swim in or a destination with a pier (or I guess you could tow a small launch but that's silly for a H12.5). This was often used in a "oh, you just bought so-and-so's old boat, it would be great to see you sail with us" "i'm intimidated by racing" "sure sure, I meant the picnic cruise we'll see you there yet" type conversation.

I like these kids of ideas. getting new folks out seems to be the key.

On 1/26/2018 at 6:16 PM, sunseeker said:

hearing aid night.

OK, It is not carbon Fiber(though that would be cool, maybe a little window so you can show off your carbon hardware), it is titanium and I can still dance as awfully as I did before the 3rd surgery thank you very much...  ;)

• Like 1

Oh, another fun race we did in junior 420s that would probably be a good event. In my junior sailing program racing wasn't the sole focus and they also wanted to teach us about seamanship more generally, including navigating. So one week in the summer was 'navigation week' and at the end instead of the usual practice racing WL2s until your eyes bleed we had the "buoy scramble".

Thursday we were sent home with a map of approximate locations of drop marks (race on Friday). SIs specify the course to be sailed was:

Leg 1: Start upwind to a windward mark (not on the map but a fixed distance, fairly short)

Leg 2: Downwind, use the starting line as a gate mark

Leg 3: In any order your please visit each mark and sail a full 360 around it, leaving it to port. Yes this meant boats on radically differing courses were on the same leg and that proper course was basically whatever you said it was. I can't remember what we did about mark room officially; in practice it involved a lot of yelling and some bailer fighting.

Leg 4: Finish, upwind. The finish line is an obstruction for boats not intending to finish and if you touched it by accident you had to heave to and sing I'm a little teapot (with hand motions!) for the RC (the instructors)

In a 420 you don't have fancy instruments, the crews had to manage the paperwork and a hand compass, sometimes while out on the trap, but it was crazy fun. It was mostly honor system because even self-policing was a nightmare. However, each drop mark had a letter on it and you had to submit your sheet with mark number/letter matchings to validate your finish.

Out club is the only club in the area to put on Regattas. Except the SCYA Midwinters which is run by a club that does not compete in regattas.
I do not understand it either.

We have 5 regattas in a 12 month period and 4 of those are run by the club I belong to.

MORE REGATTAS

On 1/28/2018 at 1:39 PM, wal' said:

That.... and lingerie evenings

When I think for fun events, the LAST thing I'm likely to think about is a bunch of 70- and 80-year-olds prancing about as if they still had something worth shaking.

CaPwq2oUsAA1ViY.jpg

On ‎29‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 7:27 AM, LB 15 said:

Topless waitresses in the bar , install a stopper pole and weekly stripper shows. Nothing beats a few ping ping balls hitting the past commodores photographs. 

I did not know you were a member of the old Runaway Bay Sailing Club.

Before licencing shut it down!

On 1/26/2018 at 5:53 PM, freewheelin said:

We've had 60's themed parties (yes a few  old timers think it's ok to relive that era and go behind the clubhouse and smoke a joint ;-)  with full on cover band playing all the hits of the 60's

we've had a Hootenanny party...of course my bluegrass band headlined  ;-)

we've done a PTP race with another YC and each year rotate where the start is...finishing club throws the awards party

we get a local Restaurant/bar that is on the water to sponsor a 1 day regatta and the awards and party is there

I do a raingutter regatta each March  with a full on corned beef and cabbage meal afterwards....huge turnout each year

On 1/27/2018 at 5:14 PM, WHK said:

i love prog dock

ELP,  Yes, Genesis, Tull, King Crimson   ;-)

2 minutes ago, dacapo said:

i love prog dock

ELP,  Yes, Genesis, Tull, King Crimson   ;-)

My kind of music too!

Cabrillo Beach YC has a party with live music, the bar, catered buffet, every last Sunday, 12 each year. One long time (50+ years) member finds a different band each month. This past Sunday was a 1970 cover band. Lots of friends of members. Sail and power. Good times!

Its simple, but seems effective.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2018 at 4:27 PM, LB 15 said:

You beat me too it! I am not a big fan but in the interest of being fair male strippers may work as well. Was in band that was allowed into bar early for set-up,  on "ladies night".  The girls sure got into, never seen raunchier behaviour, male or female.  Those boys sure got the ladies wound-up  and I can't remember going home alone those nights. Not that I would do it now.

And just so we cover off on all ideas wife swapping is not a good idea for a YC event.   

13 minutes ago, HuronBouy said:

And just so we cover off on all ideas wife swapping is not a good idea for a YC event.   

I am pretty sure the cruising group at our club are into this. They go ashore for a few drinks then everyone tosses their dinghy kill cords into a hat.

On 1/27/2018 at 12:40 PM, freewheelin said:

This is the problem though, the clubs are all aging. Which means the older folks are wanting to do less and less on the water partying. But then complain about how young people aren't joining. I'm on the younger side (mid 30s) and there isn't much a yacht club offers me outside of racing. For those who don't race, it's basically nothing. But I hear about the things that were happening 20,30,40 years ago and it sounds cool (which means the generation above them planning and footing the bill got it). $40 worth of beer in a dinghy at a raft up party or beach rendezvous sounds fucking awesome. $40 for a Valentines Day dinner at the Yacht club sounds like where dreams go to die.

For any of the clubs looking for more young people, if you party they will come...

I am in your same boat, mid 30's young end of the club.  However for you the key and responsibility is getting your friends both racing and coming to the club.  However I totally agree with partying attracts people.  Just need to focus that into sailing and not just dinners at the club, more casual races like mentioned above a scavenger hunt race.  That sounds hilarious.